Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,364 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

Origin Of The Name Yoruba - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Name Yoruba (29467 Views)

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 11:17pm On Nov 09, 2014
MetaPhysical:

Let's dial back the hand of time. The take is that Yoruba is synonymous with Oyo. Who founded Oyo?
The way I used to go about this is 'Genesis-precept': that is, 'places are named after historical events in Yorubaland'. Oyo was founded by Oyo, a forgotten heroin. O-yo means a-spy (infilterator, sneaker). Do we have a spy in Yoruba history? Yes we do. And who was that? None but Moremi. But Moremi was said to be a native of Ofa. Okay, 'Oyo' is ayinike; (a word in circulation projecting an original idea), 'Ofa' is ayinipada (a word in circulation projecting an original idea as feedback). If the term Oyo fails, Ofa will not, vice-versa. Both names mean the same thing, courtessy Moremi. Oyo, slippery; Ofa, slippery, (the two words often combine as 'yofa' or 'fayo'). Oyo however became more glorious. That America is world power today does not mean it exist long before China or Inca civilization.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 11:36pm On Nov 09, 2014
MetaPhysical:

Let's dial back the hand of time. The take is that Yoruba is synonymous with Oyo.

1. Who founded Oyo?

IleIfe is much older than Oyo.
2. What were the people of Ife called?
There is no criteria to prove that Ife is older than Oyo other than that, that is how Yoruba want it. Ile Ife is so called Ife Oodaye. This means Ife pertains with the Creator/founders of Aye, i.e. Yoruba world. Ife was founded by Yoruba ancestors that gave us the saying 'omode gbon, agba gbon lafi dale Ife'. Both places were founded at the same time by the same set of people, hence Ife has Opa Oranyan, while Oyo look up to Oranyan as founder. Oranyan was the leader of omode, (Iganmode: youth leader). Oduduwa was the regent leader of awon (omode ati) Agba, that is, head of the elders. Both Oyo and Ife have long been involved in 'omode gbon agba gbon' politics from inception because the youth came (to Yorubaland) first before the elders, and the rule is: Eni aba l'aba ni baba.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by PeterKbaba: 3:11am On Nov 13, 2014
Omode gbon Agba gbon, ohun la fi da ile ife
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 4:25am On Nov 15, 2014
From The Myth of Ife....

Life in Ífè is as it was in the time of the Gods

Of Old Arámfè's realm . . . They went away; But still with us their altars and their priests Remain, and from their shrines the hidden Gods Peer forth with joy to watch the dance they taught, And hear each night their chorus with the drum: For changeless here the early World endures In this first stronghold of humanity, And, constant as the buffets of the waves Of Queen Olókun on the shore, the song, The dance of those old Gods abide, the mirth, The life . . . I, too, am born of the beginning:

The story of Ife and Oduduwa and the gods is the mark of a new beginning for humanity, a new world order so to speak!

It's story is also the story of Noah and a new beginning after the earth was cleansed and he disembarked from an ark. He was given a covenant with which to lead the affairs of mankind.

Noah had a dove, whereas Oduduwa had the rooster. Noah had a bag of secrets which he was dispossed of, whereas Oduduwa dispossess someone else of a bag of secrets (Laba).

Noah had Eji Ogbe and the octets inspired in him with animals and measures, whereas Oduduwa also had Eji Ogbe and the octets and the animal rituals and measures.

Ife was the city founded by a new world order built by Yorubas (YRB), aborigenes of a foreign land who established themselves as colonists in the dark world.

Oyo was a colony of Ife.

Because Ife was a sacred city and their holy land where they kept their altars and shrines and temples, it was forbidden for them to spill blood in Ife. They turned Oyo into a military capital and created skill guilds for expanding their civilization and order. To expand territory you must have defense and attack plans.

Oyo Ile had a fort, two city walls, numerous city gates, horse stables and as well iron smiths. Ife on the other hand had cobbled streets, palladiums and boulevards.

Clearly, one was the seat of political power and the other the seat of military power.

There is no inddigenous African culture that designates collective power and authority to a bloodline of priests. Collective authority, in other words, government of the people in cultures rooted in African indigenity is in the hands of wrestlers or hunters or warriors, but never High Priests.

The Oduduwa seat is the seat of High Priests.

I need to go for now, we will talk some more again soon.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 6:10pm On Nov 15, 2014
....continuing from The Myth,

Odúm’la speaks for the Gods;

For, when from the sight of men the Great Gods passed, They left on Earth Órní Odúm’la charged To be a father to a mourning people, To tend the shrines and utter solemn words Inspired by Those invisible. And when Odúm’la's time had come to yield the crown, To wait upon the River's brink, and cross To Old Arámfè—Ífa, in his wisdom, and lives for ever in the person of the Órní.

This is a chronicle of the Ooni dynastic rule.

Titles, Names, Aliases all got mixed up as time passed through the ages.

Aramfe is also called Ifa.
Oduduwa is also called Odum'la.

I draw attention to where they say Orni Odum'la was left in charge on Earth. This is a mindset and position commonly held by colonists.....world super powers or guardians of civilizatiins and world orders!

The Ifes...Yorubas, at one time had a superiority claim on world civilization.

We need to explore deeply and insightfully into the archives and legacies of these people and culture, holistically, and not half heartedly relying all on written chnronicles and dismissing histories passed down orally or in crafts.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 17, 2014
We are not named Yoruba by Hausas, some Hausa can't even pronounce Yoruba properly...

Yoruba as name is from Yoruba
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 7:58pm On Nov 18, 2014
So true, I have the same believe.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 8:05pm On Nov 18, 2014
MetaPhysical:
....continuing from The Myth,

This is a chronicle of the Ooni dynastic rule.

Titles, Names, Aliases all got mixed up as time passed through the ages.

Aramfe is also called Ifa.
Oduduwa is also called Odum'la.

I draw attention to where they say Orni Odum'la was left in charge on Earth. This is a mindset and position commonly held by colonists.....world super powers or guardians of civilizatiins and world orders!

The Ifes...Yorubas, at one time had a superiority claim on world civilization.

We need to explore deeply and insightfully into the archives and legacies of these people and culture, holistically, and not half heartedly relying all on written chnronicles and dismissing histories passed down orally or in crafts.

If we seek deep, we will uncover forgotten episodes in our history.

Nobody will do that for us but ourselves. So, let the music play.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by macof(m): 12:04am On Nov 20, 2014
Lmao Aramfe is Ifa? Seriously? U don't even know Aramfe and u claim authority on Yoruba culture...hilarious cheesy grin
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by kabiyesiii(m): 6:06pm On Dec 19, 2014
How could the name "Yoruba" be of Hausa origin? Let's give Samuel Johnson a break. He was away for a while due to slavery, and despite the circumstances, he did the best he could do. Some of his mistakes in "The History of Yorubas" were not intentional. What of the 21st Century historians we have today, what kind of archeological research are they doing, and what are their references?

Hausa called Ọyọ Ile, Katunga. Hausa would definitely call the the people of katunga, Katunga-bawan. How did that then change to Yoru-bawan (Yoruba)? Even the often quoted Sultan Bello of the Sokoto Caliphate would not explain that.

Yoruba people were known as ANAGO, from the ANAGO language we speak. Mali and Ọyọ Empires were contemporaries, and they had diplomatic relationship. And it was from Mali, that the name "Yoruba" was first used to refer to ANAGO people. As an ethnic description, the word "Yoruba" appeared in treatise written by the Great Songhai scholar, Ahmed Baba, in the 1500s, that refers to people that speaks ANAGO and its dialects.

An ethnic group is usually known by what its neighbors call them. Germans don't call themselves German, but that is what their neighbors call them. And Chinese don't call themselves Chinese, but that is what outsiders call them. Same with Finland (Suomi), Hungary (Magyar) and Japan (Nippon).

At a much later date, the "Yoruba" name filtered to the Fulani, and to the Hausa, to the Europeans and to the rest of the world.

It was through Mali, that Yoruba first encountered Islam and muslims. That was why Yoruba called Islam "ẹsin imale" (religion from mali) and a muslim is called "imale" till today. It is because of muslim fanaticism that Yoruba now call Islam "ẹsin imọle" (fanatical religion). Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, ISIS/ISIL, Salafist jihadists, Wahhabism are case in point.

Yoruba were excellent traders. Ọyọ traders were all over, and were nicknamed the "Jews of Africa" (no pun intended). Their remnants, scattered all over Africa, could count (owo ẹyọ) into millions. I would love to know how they were recording those transactions. I hope i still have the genes of these computing geniuses. Our historians need to go to the Library in Timbuktu and translate many of the manuscripts w.r.t Yoruba (Ọyọ), for posterity, instead of "attaching" Yoruba history to the biblical/semitic crap. Garbage in, Garbage out.

The question then is what is the meaning of "Yoruba"? People are usually known by something distinctive about them. A Yoruba returnee group, that settled down in Liberia and Senegambia areas, are known as the "AKU". Yoruba have greetings for everything, and each greeting starts with "Ẹ Ku / A Ku". As a result, their neighbors named the Yoruba returnees, AKU, because they always say "A KU" every time. And the name stuck. Yoruba and their greetings, embedded in their DNA. Yoruba call themselves "ọmọ karọ-ojire", because of their greetings.

Our Ndigbo neighbors nicknamed us N-GBATI (when) because we say that a lot.

To "stand your ground", to "draw the line in the sand" when push comes to shove, YORUBA would say "yo ba iya ẹ", "yo ba baba ẹ", "yo ba ipọnrinpọngba ẹ", "yo ba idile yin", e.t.c. From this common saying, was how the name "Yo(ru)ba"was coined, and it became synonymous with these Great People, of the Great Empire of ỌYỌ AJAKA.

Ọyọ Ile, itself, was derived from "ibi tio yọ" (slippery place). Ọyọ Ile is not the same with Agọ Ọja (present ọyọ). They are as different as night and day.

The Yoruba of today is 180 degrees, out of phase, with the Yoruba of old.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by macof(m): 7:36pm On Dec 20, 2014
kabiyesiii:
How could the name "Yoruba" be of Hausa origin? Let's give Samuel Johnson a break. He was away for a while due to slavery, and despite the circumstances, he did the best he could do. Some of his mistakes in "The History of Yorubas" were not intentional. What of the 21st Century historians we have today, what kind of archeological research are they doing, and what are their references?

Hausa called Ọyọ Ile, Katunga. Hausa would definitely call the the people of katunga, Katunga-bawan. How did that then change to Yoru-bawan (Yoruba)? Even the often quoted Sultan Bello of the Sokoto Caliphate would not explain that.

Yoruba people were known as ANAGO, from the ANAGO language we speak. Mali and Ọyọ Empires were contemporaries, and they had diplomatic relationship. And it was from Mali, that the name "Yoruba" was first used to refer to ANAGO people. As an ethnic description, the word "Yoruba" appeared in treatises written by the Great Songhai scholar, Ahmed Baba, in the 1500s, that refers to people that speaks ANAGO and its dialects.

An ethnic group is usually known by what its neighbors call them. Germans don't call themselves German, but that is what their neighbors call them. And Chinese don't call themselves Chinese, but that is what outsiders call them. Same with Finland (Suomi), Hungary (Magyar) and Japan (Nippon).

At a much later date, the "Yoruba" name filtered to the Fulani, and to the Hausa, to the Europeans and to the rest of the world.

It was through Mali, that Yoruba first encountered Islam and muslims. That was why Yoruba called Islam "ẹsin imale" (religion from mali) and a muslim is called "imale" till today. It is because of muslim fanaticism that Yoruba now call Islam "ẹsin imọle" (fanatical religion). Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, ISIS/ISIL, Salafist jihadists, Wahhabism are case in point.

Yoruba were excellent traders. Ọyọ traders were all over, and were nicknamed the "Jews of Africa" (no pun intended). Their remnants, scattered all over Africa, could count (owo ẹyọ) into millions. I would love to know how they were recording those transactions. I hope i still have the genes of these computing geniuses. Our historians need to go to the Library in Timbuktu and translate many of the manuscripts w.r.t Yoruba (Ọyọ), for posterity, instead of "attaching" Yoruba history to the biblical/semitic crap. Garbage in, Garbage out.

The question then is what is the meaning of "Yoruba"? People are usually known by something distinctive about them. A Yoruba returnee group, that settled down in Liberia and Senegambia areas, are known as the "AKU". Yoruba have greetings for everything, and each greeting starts with "Ẹ Ku / A Ku". As a result, their neighbors named the Yoruba returnees, AKU, because they always say "A KU" every time. And the name stuck. Yoruba and their greetings, embedded in their DNA. Yoruba call themselves "ọmọ karọ-ojire", because of their greetings.

To "stand your ground", to "draw the line in the sand" when push comes to shove, YORUBA would say "yo ba iya ẹ", "yo ba baba ẹ", "yo ba ipọnrinpọngba ẹ", "yo ba idile yin", e.t.c. From this common saying, was how the name "Yo(ru)ba"was coined, and it became synonymous with these Great People, of the Great Empire of ỌYỌ AJAKA.

Ọyọ Ile, itself, was derived from "ibi tio yọ" (slippery place). Ọyọ Ile is not the same with Agọ Ọja (present ọyọ). They are as different as night and day.

Beautiful, just beautiful. Thank you very much for this brilliant piece not the pseudo-Yoruba history we have people posting here and claiming authority.

If only we had more of u on the culture section
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by limamintruth: 9:57pm On Dec 20, 2014
2prexios:
Yoruba is the name by which the south-western people of Nigeria and her Diaspora are known. This effort is an attempt at getting to the root of the eponymous name ‘Yoruba’. What could this ancient word mean?

The fact that the term ‘Yoruba’ has not really been studied in order to be decrypted shows that perhaps, less is gong on as research geared towards understanding the checkered Yoruba history at this era in time.

The onus lies on us to investigate as deeply as possible the meaning of the mysterious name Yoruba so as to learn from its secrets. This present title is the most recent effort at understanding Yoruba history from new breed of writers.

Tan mo o?
ko wa so.

I only know 'yarbawa', not yoruba; lol.

(pls na joke oo, tam)

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by kabiyesiii(m): 7:22am On Dec 21, 2014
macof:

Beautiful, just beautiful. Thank you very much for this brilliant piece not the pseudo-Yoruba history we have people posting here and claiming authority.

If only we had more of u on the culture section

Macof,

Here is an interesting article w.r.t ILE-IFẸ from Ijọ (Izon/Ijaw) perspective.

http://www.ijawdictionary.com/menu/TheIjoGenesis.pdf

1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 2:16pm On Dec 21, 2014
limamintruth:

I only know 'yarbawa', not yoruba; lol.

(pls na joke oo, tam)
Ah, this is beautiful, just so beautiful. I wish you know that that term is from the heart of Semito-Hamitic theory? Be ready to defend it, wherever you get it from. Don't be afraid of the master bullies, their game is that of 'the dog in the manger': they can always vent their hurts and keep invoking their 'forbidden theory'. I am a friend and not fiend. I know no human imposed limitations to my ideas. Never allow nonentities kill the courage in you to share your knowledge. Meanwhile, I love that you come on this section often even as a jovial, quassi-authority.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by limamintruth: 3:15pm On Dec 21, 2014
2prexios:
Ah, this is beautiful, just so beautiful. I wish you know that that term is from the heart of Semito-Hamitic theory? Be ready to defend it, wherever you get it from. Don't be afraid of the master bullies, their game is that of 'the dog in the manger': they can always vent their hurts and keep invoking their 'forbidden theory'. I am a friend and not fiend. I know no human imposed limitations to my ideas. Never allow nonentities kill the courage in you to share your knowledge. Meanwhile, I love that you come on this section often even as a jovial, quassi-authority.

tnx boss cool.
No offense intended actually. smiley

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 4:38pm On Dec 21, 2014
kabiyesiii:

Yoruba people were known as ANAGO, from the ANAGO language we speak. Mali and Ọyọ Empires were contemporaries, and they had diplomatic relationship. And it was from Mali, that the name "Yoruba" was first used to refer to ANAGO people. As an ethnic description, the word "Yoruba" appeared in treatises written by the Great Songhai scholar, Ahmed Baba, in the 1500s, that refers to people that speaks ANAGO and its dialects.

Kabiyesi,

Interesting!

Let us follow the footprints of the claims in your response and see where it would lead.

On the origin of Yoruba

1. Ahmed Baba (Malian) wrote an account on the Yorubas.
2. Sultan Bello said in his book "we are told".....so and so about Yorubas.
3. Samuel Johnson wrote in his book the statement made by Bello.

Before recklessly attributing Yo ba (a prefix for vulgarity) as the etymology of Yoruba, have pondered on the possibility that Ahmed Baba could have been a link in the upstream chain of transmitters of this knowledge? Did you bother to check if a record about Yoruba existed even before Ahmed Baba and how that record was preserved or transmitted?

Katunga or Katanga, I'm finding out, is Hausa word for wall. Oyo Ile was called Katunga because it was a walled city. Yorubas are not a people of wall even though they live in a walled city, so why would Hausa call us Katungawa or Katunga-bawa like you theorized? Ife was the origin and mother city of Yorubas and pre-existed Oyo-Ile. If Hausa called us Katungawa (people of the wall) in Oyo-Ile, then what did they call us in Ile-Ife, a non-walled city?
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by TonySpike: 5:04pm On Dec 21, 2014
:

184213 Olarfee 11 58.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184214 Arjarlar 10 53.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184215 Farkuarday 13 58.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184216 Oshardorah 12 55.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184217 Arwoshayee 10 52.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184218 Ogoonlehyeh 11 58.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184219 Ojoryeh 9 51.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184220 Farmusanyee 12 56.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184221 Largonee 13 56.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184222 Jartoe 14 59.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184223 Larworyee 13 54.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184224 Ogoonbeyee 12 56.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184225 Marsoo 13 58.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184226 Oshargomee 12 57.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184227 Larsarmar 12 56.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184228 Ogoombeyee 11 54.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184229 Harlay 13 58.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184230 Darculo 4 58.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184231 Artobear 13 55.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO
184232 Arsharlar 12 58.0 Boy 3680 Bela Miquelina 1848 Lagos Freetown GO

This is a ship manifest of slaves sold off ancient Yorubaland. I got this info from another unrelated thread. As we all can see, the Yoruba names were spelt using non-standardized spelling. I can see these modern Yoruba names like Ajala, Fakuade, Awoseyi, Ogunleye, Famusanyi, Lawoye, Ogunbiyi and Ale. I brought this to our attention because certain names can be altered within a short time.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 21, 2014
kabiyesiii:

Hausa called Ọyọ Ile, [b]Katunga. Hausa would definitely call the the people of katunga, Katunga-bawan.[/b] How did that then change to Yoru-bawan (Yoruba)? Even the often quoted Sultan Bello of the Sokoto Caliphate would not explain that.

The sanest and most stimulating post thus far on this thread since I unfollowed it.

God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 7:58pm On Dec 21, 2014
9jacrip:

The sanest and most stimulating post thus far on this thread since I unfollowed it.

God bless you.

Your conclusion is quite disappointing. Its not compulsory you believe the semito-hamitic theory before you are able to separate wheat from chaff. So the name Yoruba is from YoBa, then if you are the only Yoruba on this board, that's what you will establish as sane?

I think you guys are not after any facts or deep inquest, but after the migration story, and the reason is not far fetched. If the truth is told you will loose grip of the people and the covering of lies cast upon them.

Thank God for the Awori thread, there are families in Awori that does not believe in Ife or Oyo story. Yes, you have great empire, it is likely the foremost in Yorubaland in prehistoric times, but it does not make the people to come from you, they can not find their history and we are here to confuse them of their confusion or enlighten them about their records.

If we look outside Yoruba domain, its not out of foolishness, but on the available pointers,and if that is a sin, two wrongs don't make a right, you shouldn't be desperate to take any appearance of opposition to ours as the gospel truth, hello o.

Yo ba furo re or yoo ba iya re is as metaphisical put it, its insult, and vulgar. It means it will be ill with your a.ss or it will be ill with your mother. Iba is a form of sickness with the Yoruba, it is the root source of fever or ill-fate, as in

O de /ba/ Olugbon, o muu mora,
O de /ba/ Aresa, o muu mora,
O de /ba/ Owarangun aga, oun naa mu mora ni,
Kii Ba ni a yeri.

"Ba" as used in the above is the same source of the ones that we use as slang these days, or as idiomatic expression in "tie ba e" As such, ba as used in your kabiesi's post is for negative omen. If that is the root word for Yoruba, it shows how superficial our "ace historians" here are.

At what point did this slur become the magnificent phrase and next, so glorious for a conventional name or eponymous name with the Yoruba? So if we can think this superficial as to the origin of the origin of the name Yoruba, it is this same superficial minds that condemn the wise thought of others as crap.

Why was the slur the most magnificent of names for the people and,
How could Yoruba with repertoire of preciosity lose it at naming itself?

Some so called Yoruba on this section are are funny though, they are under the Aole spell, they will always slave under Fulani and Hausa conclusion on Yoruba. I am not a subject of the North, I have a mind of my own, so I don't look unto Fulani man or Hausa man for guidance.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by MetaPhysical: 8:50pm On Dec 21, 2014
2prexios:

Your conclusion is quite disappointing. Its not compulsory you believe the semito-hamitic theory before you are able to separate wheat from chaff. So the name Yoruba is from YoBa, then if you are the only Yoruba on this board, that's what you will establish as sane?

I think you guys are not after any facts or deep inquest, but after the migration story, and the reason is not far fetched. If the truth is told you will loose grip of the people and the covering of lies cast upon them.

Thank God for the Awori thread, there are families in Awori that does not believe in Ife or Oyo story. Yes, you have great empire, it is likely the foremost in Yorubaland in prehistoric times, but it does not make the people to come from you, they can not find their history and we are here to confuse them of their confusion or enlighten them about their records.

If we look outside Yoruba domain, its not out of foolishness, but on the available pointers,and if that is a sin, two wrongs don't make a right, you shouldn't be desperate to take any appearance of opposition to ours as the gospel truth, hello o.

Yo ba furo re or yoo ba iya re is as metaphisical put it, its insult, and vulgar. It means it will be ill with your a.ss or it will be ill with your mother. Iba is a form of sickness with the Yoruba, it is the root source of fever or ill-fate, as in

Kii Ba ni a yeri.

"Ba" as used in the above is the same source of the ones that we use as slang these days, or as idiomatic expression in "tie ba e" As such, ba as used in your kabiesi's post is for negative omen. If that is the root word for Yoruba, it shows how superficial our "ace historians" here are.

At what point did this slur become the magnificent phrase and next, so glorious for a conventional name or eponymous name with the Yoruba? So if we can think this superficial as to the origin of the origin of the name Yoruba, it is this same superficial minds that condemn the wise thought of others as crap.

Some so called Yoruba on this section are are funny though, they are under the Aole spell, they will always slave under Fulani and Hausa conclusion on Yoruba. I am not a subject of the North, I have a mind of my own, so I don't look unto Fulani man or Hausa man for guidance.

Prexios, bawo ni o! Eku a la Ja Odun!

Lol, I'm sure you are familiar with the wisdom of Zen's teachings of The Ten Bulls.

They use visual image to illustrate the stages of a mystics progression as he purifies his mind and in each step upward on that journey he sheds the burden of his mind and matter and reconciles his spirit (Ori Inu) with the divine truth (enlightenment).

In 9jacrips response I see a mystic unable to let go of matter, he is imprisoned by his own ego and remains in darkness.

It is absurd that anyone would even suggest that Yoruba derived from a word expression of vulgar, but to find that educated people subscribe to that line of thought is even damning!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 21, 2014
2prexios:

Kii Ba ni a yeri.

I'm out and typing on the phone so this will be a bit short. I do not want to leave you hanging with the brb I initial posted since it is possible I forget.

I'mnor slaving under Hausa or whoever.

My response to the Bro's post was done off my phone and it was short abd I did not bother to point out my point of agreement and disagreements with him but overall, I bought into his connection with Mali angle (reason I dropped that post in support).

From my earlier contributions on this thread, I have not quite grasped the angle you're coming from, very new to me. And to avoid derailing, I stayed on the sidelines to observe but let me state that:

1. I fornerly held the view that the term Yarba/Katunga was Hausa coinnage to refer Oyo folks particularly but along the line, with you or Prexios's breakdown of Hausa language using (-wa) suffix I got rid of my previously held notion.

2. After having done justice to Hausa theory, you stated Yoruba folks, apart from Sultan Bello's revelation already regarded thenselves as Yoruba and we should look inward for the meaning and etimology. This I bought into.

3. Where we differ is looking for a meaning in the Semitic angle. I find it hard to cope with really, considering Africa had been populated way before Mesopotamia (and civilizations after). Thus, I believe other civilizations to look to us for meanings and etymology of their origin and not us looking to them flr ours.

I hope my summary appeals to reason.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by itstpia100: 3:45am On Dec 22, 2014
if you add a prefix or article to yoruba, you can also play around with the meaning.

eg, iyoruba, eyoruba, eyioruba, etc.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 5:22am On Dec 22, 2014
@9jacrip, you're welcome sir. Now your post has finally convey absolute meaning you have in mind. Our fathers said 'gbogbowa o le sun ka kori si'bikan na'. We must have divergent views based on our backgrounds. But in spite of this, we must disagree to agree. We should not celebrate hate, but love we must embrace regardless of historical inclinations. You are smarts sir, you never exhibit slavish attitude to anyone, and you are quite reasonable. You are not under Aole's spell, you have a mind of your own too.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 5:49am On Dec 22, 2014
@Metaphysical aku popo~shinshin odun o, emi wa a se opo odun laye o. E fiye denu lori iyekan yin omo onife abure o. We know in parts, I salute your wisdom and leadership instincts made manifest in every of your post. Baba kee pe.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 5:58am On Dec 22, 2014
itstpia100:
if you add a prefix or article to yoruba, you can also play around with the meaning.

eg, iyoruba, eyoruba, eyioruba, etc.
Provide elaborate discuss around the new words na.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by itstpia100: 6:07am On Dec 22, 2014
you can provide those yourself if you want them.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 7:18am On Dec 22, 2014
itstpia100:
you can provide those yourself if you want them.

Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by Funjosh(m): 7:47am On Dec 22, 2014
Getting Interesting day afta day.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by blacko(m): 7:04am On Dec 24, 2014
The origin of the name Yoruba is a very simple one first of all the yo was. Coined from oyo then ruba means people so Yoruba means people of the oyo empire the name was most probably coined by neighbors
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 7:25am On Dec 24, 2014
Funjosh:
Getting Interesting day afta day.
True talk pal.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by 2prexios: 7:48am On Dec 24, 2014
blacko:
The origin of the name Yoruba is a very simple one first of all the yo was. Coined from oyo then ruba means people so Yoruba means people of the oyo empire the name was most probably coined by neighbors
Nice, but in what language do we have 'ruba' as people? I don't think its so simple. Also, remember that Yo is a Yoruba adjective reserved exclusively for intensity of light. So Yoruba women can drop whatever they consider too bright, saying 'o ti se yo yo yo ju' (It's too bright for my liking). So, yo is to imole, as in 'o mole yo'. Another use for the term can be found in a-yo (favorite), as found in the saying 'adiye funfun, aayo Olodumare'. Ultimately, yo is to be hunger-free. It is only as adjective to light or to be hunger-free that the prefix YO stands on its own. Take it up from there and let's review our materials.
Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba by blacko(m): 8:24am On Dec 24, 2014
I understand ur claim the ruba word is mainly from the Hausa or Sudanese language it also may be from the old Malian language

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Story Of The Legendary Farmer Turned Warrior, Lisabi / Ooni Inaugurates National Orisa Day In Brazil / Benin Traditional Worshippers Embark On Acts Of Purification And Sanctification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.