Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,778 members, 7,820,720 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Have You Ever Missed A Flight? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Have You Ever Missed A Flight? (26982 Views)

Pics: Air Hostess Feeds A Paralyzed Elderly Man On A Flight / How Can I Book A Flight Ticket to China Online. / 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Ndipe(m): 2:57am On Nov 05, 2014
I missed my flight in San Francisco on my way to Nigeria for my mom's funeral. Thank God I arrived home the day of her funeral. Infact, she was lying in state when I arrived and was buried hours later. But for the Grace of God I would have missed her funeral.
An unforgettable experience for me.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by NEROSKY(m): 3:00am On Nov 05, 2014
ceenote:
My wife and I were travelling from Oklahoma city (OKC) to NY. We got to the airport in OKC one hour before our departure time; however, because of the number of people waiting to be checked in, we had to stand in a queue. By the time it got to our turn to check in, it was almost departure time, so we missed the flight scheduled for 12.30pm.
The best the airline could do for us was to schedule us for a 6pm flight the same day for no extra charges. Eventually, we got to NY by 1am the next day.
Since then, we learned to always check in online with our computer.

That's in U.S, Here is not must they must leave the specific time!!

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by UNLEASHED(m): 3:08am On Nov 05, 2014
I missed a Lagos to Manchester return flight last year due to my laid back nature and a very poor sense of time.
I got to the airport about an hour late and no one was at the airline counter, I ran to the airline office to be told the counter is shut and can't check in my luggage but I still could get on the plane without my luggage which I didn't consider as an option, I saw my plane took off and dissapeared in the sky, that was when it dawned on me that I've actually missed my flight.

Some guy working at the airline company I was supposed to fly came to me afterwards and was gonna try find me a seat on the next day flight but demanded I pay him 50k even when I told him my ticket wasn't an open ticket. After pondering for a while, I opted for the option I thought won't drain my wallet too much, hoping he could perform some sort of inside magic the following day as everything is possible for Naija.

I went back to where I lodged, sober and not really happy. The man couldn't find me a seat the following day, rang to hand my money over and booked Qatar which was way expensive than the initial return flight. Yes I wasn't happy but I've always enjoyed flying Qatar plus the smiles of the beautiful Arab air hostess cheers me up.
Since then, I'm always the first person on queue to check in.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by dipo2much(m): 3:21am On Nov 05, 2014
Did my NYSC in Yobe and once missed a flight from Kano to Lagos. I got on a overnight bus and took standing position. no time

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Tokunbohkinibig: 3:24am On Nov 05, 2014
Awesome experience!!!! I was travelling with Egyptair to Qatar via Cairo,Egypt. Everything went according to our original schedule from Lagos to Cairo, but on getting to Cairo, everything changed. I was at d airport lounge for about 3hours before Egyptair decided to lodge us into one of their best hotels in Cairo. Chai!!! What a sweet experience!!!! How I wish my fight was delayed more than 2days but interestingly, I started to feel bored after couple of hours in that 4 or 5star hotel.

After couple of hours in my gigantic room with all d goodies, I decided to take a walk to d pool side so as to catch some fun but to my greatest surprise, I heard people saying from the corridor where I was " O boy, you dey mad oooo" and these words were coming from the pool side and I was like, that sounds like Nigerians ooo, on getting to the pool side, I wasn't disappointed by my brothers in the LORD, Nigerian guys are all over the pool.

Second one happened just recently, my mum was meant to travel with Arik from Heathrow to Lagos,straight flight; this particular flight was scheduled to leave Heathrow by 9pm or thereabout. And since I would be the one to take my mum to the airport, I decided to take my time cos Heathrow is about 1hr 30mins away from my house via M25. Exactly 6pm, I called my mum and I said let's go but on getting to Motorway, there was this horrible traffic. However, I finally got to Heathrow-Arik stand around 8:10pm and to my surprise, I was told that the fight was preparing to leave for Naija when we still have about 50mins before the scheduled time that was on her ticket. I dragged the issue with Arik all through that evening but all my effort proved abortive. I was finally advised to pay another £261.00 so as to have my mum to trave the following day which I paid. Painful!!!
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Miami11: 3:39am On Nov 05, 2014
Was going to Las Vegas on Valentine's day with my sister for some celebrations, flight was to leave at 1 pm, I decide to go to the salon to look good for Vegas, little did I know the hairdresser was running late, my sister calls me at home a few times, I'm like don't worry will make it, getting to the airport flight had already left,wait list was 10 plus people heading to Vegas, we went back home with my beautiful hairstyle and curses from my sister.
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Meristem: 4:38am On Nov 05, 2014
Oh yeah i hav missed a fight before. I felt reeaaallly baad. It was TYSON vs HOLYFIELD. My DSTV subscription was expired but i heard Tyson SUAREZed Holyfield's ear! Lol. Up till today, i wish i hadnt missed that fight. wink smiley
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by scobaba: 4:54am On Nov 05, 2014
Born late comer, av missed dem all.

Official flight, interview flight, wedding flight, back to work on a monday morning flight after off town weekend shayo(with of course series querry)..u just. Name it.

But there's one I would have preferred to miss but was just there waiting for me.

My first DANA airline flight. From Abuja to Lagos.

I was reluctant to travel that day, so somehow I Got to the airport 10mins after my flight time, hoping the flight would have gone so I would have every reason to Go back home.

For wier, DANA siddon there dey wait me, as I walked towards the plane sluggishly(i was actually the last person to board), I was telling myself..."guy na DANA be ds o, na die u won go die so ooo".

grin but that trip turned out cool.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Superbrain(m): 5:10am On Nov 05, 2014
Flying to San Francisco from Lagos via Houston.

After a two hour delay before take-off, pilot announced stop over in Florida to meet International Air Regulations regarding number of flight crew members (apparently, one of the pilots/co-pilots could not get on the flight).

We arrived Miami and after 45 mins, took off to Houston.

Here I was, waiting to be cleared at the POE while my connecting flight to San Francisco was to depart in 15mins. I finally got cleared, but missed the flight. United had already prepared a pass for the next flight as they knew forehand about the challenges.

With three hours to go, I spent time catching up with some Dutch guys who I met at the waiting area. Not so bad at all.

I would rather not miss a flight by being late to the airport. Painful when you have to chunk out more bucks for something that could have been avoided.
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Hemanwel(m): 5:40am On Nov 05, 2014
Just curious..
When one misses a flight,does he/she have the right to demand for a rearrangement (that is,be put in another flight) or the airline company does it on the grounds of favour...?

Just yesterday,my younger brother missed his flight to Dubai..
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by moonraker(m): 5:53am On Nov 05, 2014
Hemanwel:
Just curious..
When one misses a flight,does he/she have the right to demand for a rearrangement (that is,be put in another flight) or the airline company does it on the grounds of favour...?

Just yesterday,my younger brother missed his flight to Dubai..

If the airline is at fault, then Yes. The passenger has the right to demand a rebooking at no cost.

If however, the flight was missed as a result of the passengers negligence, then the airline has the right charge a rebooking fee (depending on the ticket type).
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by leonshom(m): 6:04am On Nov 05, 2014
Haven't miss a flight before!
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Adofaya: 6:20am On Nov 05, 2014
I've missed a flight once, I was asked to pay 8k extra for me to join the next scheduled flight. Arik can be very annoying.
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by softtouch2(m): 6:38am On Nov 05, 2014
Adofaya:
I've missed a flight once, I was asked to pay 8k extra for me to join the next scheduled flight. Arik can be very annoying.

You must be very lucky!

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Yewandequeen(f): 7:17am On Nov 05, 2014
ehmm mine wasn't like I missed it though but a very annoying one

it was a flight from abuse to lagos aero airline. I did online booking that before my day of take off, a day before that I was sent a message that have been rescheduled for 4pm instead of the 1pm I booked.

was at the airport in time so at checking in time I went to the desk to be verified so I can check in.like film trick I got the shock of my life they said when they sent me the message that am rescheduled did I call to verify....am like hehe what rubbish why on earth should I call I booked 1pm not 4pm you inconvenienced me with the 4pm flight you're telling me I should have call that I have to pay additional money which was almost equal to ticket fee. I was frustrated that evening they ask me to go to the ticketing section and there I was directed back to the check in section and I kept going and coming meanwhile it already been announced that the flight is ready to take off. chai I no fit cry that day evening,e pain me ehn
At the end of it all it was sorted out I didn't pay any money though and the beauty of it is that I was the last to enter the plane my big luggage wasn't weighed so I didn't even pay for it and neither did I even remind them to do so....as I enter the plane like this they were like what took me so long Cos I was the last to enter.

truly all these airlines can be so annoying sometimes
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by youngice(m): 7:23am On Nov 05, 2014
HumbledbYGrace:
Nice, missing a flight for me is what I am still going to write home about. The best, exhausting, dramatic escapade I will never forgot because it was my first time flying.

I was excited about leaving "flying" and anxious about going.

I have heard so many weird stories about flights, all the missing planes, the crashes and the thought of dying kept me clutching my duvet tightly under my chin waiting for the alarm to ring. My flight was @ 7am and I had to be at the airport atleast 2hours prior the flight.

I couldn't wake up when my alarm rang, I moved it up to 2hours later, which was an hour before my flight. When reality finally sucked in, it was late, I arrived at the airport 15minutes before my flight and I was told to pay the penalty fee for them to book me into another flight. I made calls as I was flying around Southern Africa, I couldn't leave the airport to get cash, but nobody came through, I had to go back to my place to get cash. When I returned, the flight they booked for me had also left me behind, the penalty fee had skyrocked. It was midday and I was pissed, wanted to give up and asked them to cancel the flight....but I did manage to get the last flight of the day with a reduced amount, if it wasn't for THE FIRST TIME ehn!....I would have given them my middle finger and used the bus. smiley

Btw I had the best expirience ever, I will never miss a flight again for anything, not if I can help it. Mine was just due to doubt and fear though.
At your signature, try "follow but not imitate"

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by justwise(m): 7:33am On Nov 05, 2014
Generalkorex:

e good make person dey miss flight o.

Be careful what you wish for grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Emilord(m): 7:41am On Nov 05, 2014
Well mine was in 2011.I had earlier on booked a scheduled FLIGHT online.The following day which was d day of my travelling,i reached the PLACE,but i found out that my FLIGHT was abt leaving and was already full to d brim,i was like whats d heck?i approached d PILOT but he didnt reason me.
I was madtt,i rushed outside,brough a 2by2 plank,and was rushing inside only to discover that the flight has left.
That was how i missed my FIGHT,d flight was GOD IS GOOD MOTORS frm asaba to Lag.
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by hardbody: 7:57am On Nov 05, 2014
amtheone:
Ours happened when we were returning from Akwa Ibom to Lagos. Imagine for 3adults. We actually prepared ahead of time but, for just no reason decided to relax a bit at home. Little did we know that such relaxation will mean so much.

Our flight was at 12noon but at about 9am I received a text that it has been re-scheduled to take off at about 2:45pm. I said to my wife if so, let's not rush. At about 12noon we headed to the air port. At 1pm we were stil on the road, to 2, we were still on and by the time we got to the air port it was all over. I looked at my family with our little angel, we had no other option than to double almost the amount we bought our initial tickets.

When we got to Lag, we made up our minds that we would never miss our flights again and it has been so.

So, share urs if it has happened to u.

Good luck to you to the extent that you never miss your flights anymore. I virtually live in the air and honestly i keep missing my flight. I think the worst culprit in my case is first nation (i hope i am right). I am so used to delayed flights (with Arik and Aero) that on two occasions i missed first nation both ways (to and from Abuja) on the same trip. Only last week, i was meant to go to Abuja with my MD and ED although on different assignments. They stay in the Island, I stay in the mainland. For an aero of 6.45am, i got to the airport (with my printed boarding pass) and there was the craft at the tarmac slowly but steadily rolling away. I was once at the airport (with one auntie) enroute Owerri. We checked our luggage in and did not hear our flight announced. By the time i started making enquiries and we rushed through the gates, we were told that the gates for the owerri flight was shut and that the aero i was looking at was headed to Abuja. We had to wait in Lagos for our luggage to come back, and there being no more flight to owerri that day, we re-routed to PH and got into that town by 10pm (we were at the airport as early as 6.15am). In short my missed flights are too numerous to mention. Lesson for me is i no longer take time for granted. I will rather wait for 6 hours at the airport than come too close to departure. It is usually worse when they change flight time, i just relax a lot more. Another step i take these days is to have my boarding pass with me. That way, so long as the craft is still on ground, i will surely board it. I was in Calabar for my AGM sometime this year. when it was time to leave, Arik or aero (I cant remember which) kept canceling their fight. From my Hotel room i booked Dana (Uyo to Lag) and left for Uyo in the morning. The driver taking me had no sense of urgency. I was getting into the airport at some minutes past teh advertised flight time, but i flashed my boarding pass and ran through into an aircraft that had its gates shut within 2 minutes of my boarding......

Too many missed or near misses jor..
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Jarus(m): 8:07am On Nov 05, 2014
I'm a last-minute person, but I've had two misses I can't forget.

LOCAL - 2010

Went to Ilorin to meet a lady I was eyeing during the time I was looking for Mrs Jarus.

I got to Ilorin airport to catch an Arik flight back to Lagos Saturday evening. I saw it taking off like this (small airport). I missed it. No Sunday flight, and I must go to work in Lagos on Monday. I passed the night in Ilorin and joined commercial bus the next day to Lagos.

INTERNATIONAL - May 2013

KLM flight to Amsterdam. Traffic and all that, got to MMIA 45 minutes to departure. The counter had closed, all stories fell on dears hear. Missed the flight. Went back home for next day flight. Paid $150 or so for rescheduling. That's about 23k. The money pain me sha.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Jarus(m): 8:10am On Nov 05, 2014
Emilord:
Well mine was in 2011.I had earlier on booked a scheduled FLIGHT online.The following day which was d day of my travelling,i reached the PLACE,but i found out that my FLIGHT was abt leaving and was already full to d brim,i was like whats d heck?i approached d PILOT but he didnt reason me.
I was madtt,i rushed outside,brough a 2by2 plank,and was rushing inside only to discover that the flight has left.
That was how i missed my FIGHT,d flight was GOD IS GOOD MOTORS frm asaba to Lag.

Funny guy grin
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Almuhsin(m): 8:25am On Nov 05, 2014
I ve been missing flights all my life. I mean I ve never taken a flighttongue

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by YBNSCEO(m): 8:37am On Nov 05, 2014
Yap....was the very first flight I was to take in my life.I was scheduled for a flight heading to Kentucky from Lagos.due to lagos hold up and some unforeseen circumstances I missed the flight.tnks to my bro he took charge and settled the bills and boom I was hooked on to anoda flight.
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by KLand(m): 8:39am On Nov 05, 2014
Yes I have missed my flight a couple of times. But two of them readily comes to mind. One was from PH to Lagos flight. I was travelling with my wife, we got to the airport like 25minutes before the take off time about 5 minutes after they had closed checkin. But we were told they had closed check-in. I begged and begged for them to allow us checkin, but they refused. That day, we waited for 5 hours before we could get another flight.

The other experience happened recently. I was late to the airport, like 5 minutes after the scheduled time of departure but the plane was still on ground. I begged them as usual to allow me travel since the plane was yet to take off. In this case, I was even given a boarding pass at the checkin counter and was told to hurry up to boarding. I ran as fast as I could, but I wasn't allowed to board eventually..... That I was too late. No qualms.. I waited for another 2 hours before I could board another flight to Abuja on that day.

Avoid missing your flight if you can, otherwise be ready:

To spend more money in buying a new ticket or upgrading the one you have; i
Loose valuable time at waiting or loo king for any other available flight
Check your blood pressure because it will rise more than normal. wink
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Mcowubaba: 8:43am On Nov 05, 2014
holatin:
unfortunately I've nt travel by air before

# no forming
there is nothing unfortunate about it....the time has nt yet come simple!!!!.....

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Oluomo6: 8:54am On Nov 05, 2014
I just missed my flight this morning and I had to pay extra cash reschedule.
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by lupey: 8:54am On Nov 05, 2014
Mine was 2013. Was flying from Newark to houston and then Nigeria. The newark to houston was a connecting flight. Everything was alright till I went through immigration and found out my flight had been delayed. The time btw my first and second connecting flights was about 30 minutes. I knew I was going to have a huge problem. We got to Houston and the stupid airline,United Airlines, to be precise, had this terrible lady at the customer care that looked like 3 speakers joined together. She sat in her chair and said there was nothing she could do. I got really mad nd even created a scene when she snapped at me.i was that pissed because I had an exam to write the next day in Nigeria and that was infact the only reason I was leaving that early.

Mehn, even with all the drama, I had to spend the night in the airport. The good thing was we were about three that missed our flight to Nigeria and we became fast friends. They even got me dinner out of pity.
There was no available flight to Nigeria till the next evening so I used the whole of the second day to explore Texas and I loved it! Although I missed the exam and had to sleep on the seats in the airport and the airport was sooo cold, I woke up intermittently, it was an experience I know I would never forget.
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by STENON(f): 8:59am On Nov 05, 2014
I dnt have any option than to comment on this topic. It is an interesting topic. I'v learnt alot.

Kudos to you all.....

I just pray not to miss mine in the next few months.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 05, 2014
Thank God for Lagos, I have neva seen plane wey near ground b4 nt untill I come lagos and I dey stay around dopemu syd,....I Was so api dat day, dat I nearly start to dey sing d song we use to sing wen we were kids. Eron pileni to mi lo bami ki iyami eleko, eko meji oyo mi oyo mi oo o yo mi etc. I no one day I will enta dat tink called Airplane

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by KLand(m): 9:05am On Nov 05, 2014
Oluomo6:
I just missed my flight this morning and I had to pay extra cash reschedule.

Sorry. It happens.
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by SwTeee(f): 9:08am On Nov 05, 2014
Never use one before talk more of missing a flight
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Agrika: 9:10am On Nov 05, 2014
I have never boarded a plane...us na Ifeanyichukwu/ Ezenwata Night bus thingz

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Electra Airways Boeing 737 With Shredded Tyre Lands Safely At Tel Aviv’s Airport / Your Vehicle Can Be Impounded If You Neglect This Traffic Direction (photo) / Manhole Left Uncovered In Alausa, Lagos (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.