Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA (17491 Views)

How Sexual Abuse By Male Police Officers Fuels HIV Among Female Colleagues / NDLEA Arrests Music Producer With Illegal Drugs Worth N374m (photo) / Nairalander Needs Help To Stop Drug Abuse & Addiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by ACKCITY: 1:22pm On Nov 04, 2014
In Nigeria, the abuse of all types of drugs has increased drastically over the past decade. The nation’s youth constitutes the group most at risk from serious problems associated with addiction. Kano, the largest city in northern Nigeria, has the highest rate of drug abuse in the country according to the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) figures for seizures of drugs, convictions of drug dealers and arrests of drug addicts.

In Kano State, 37% of the population are drug abusers. The NDLEA has warned of serious consequences to society if the task of destroying the culture of drug abuse and its supply chain does not immediately begin to bear fruit.

Saving a generation

Nigeria has made great progress in stemming the supply of drugs with high profile arrests of traffickers, seizures of drugs, the destruction of cannabis farms and closures of laboratories used for the clandestine manufacture of drugs. In 2013, 8,324 men and 529 women were investigated after being suspected of drug trafficking. Mrs Roli Bode George, the NDLEA Director General, said that her mission was to vigorously pursue the Agency’s vision of a drug-free society.

This is a problem that does not discriminate between rich and poor, old and young. Peer pressure is one of the major factors that need to be addressed in any effective programme aimed at controlling drug abuse, and mothers must realise that from a very early age children need to be watched carefully for deviant behaviour and be protected from the influence of older children involved with drugs.

A war on many fronts
The abuse of drugs is not confined to urban areas, and the NDLEA is working alongside the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and the European Union (EU) to ensure that services to help addicts and users are also available in rural areas and are up to international standards.

Cannabis and Indian hemp are the most commonly abused drugs in Nigeria, although heroin, cocaine, amphetamines, ephedrine and ketamine are also brought in by the traffickers, and there is a range of products that are more easily obtained and are cheaper and not illegal, such as organic solvents, cough syrups and horse stimulants, all of which are unpredictable in their effects and can be highly dangerous. The so-called ‘bath salts’ contain the active ingredients methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDVP) and cathinone—the latter is a stimulant similar to amphetamine and which is also found in Khat.

Bath salts are sold as a synthetic hallucinogen, a cheaper substitute for cocaine or LSD and which can produce extreme paranoia and violence in the user. An essential part of the drug abuse problem is that people who want to take drugs as an escape for their lives will reach for whatever is available, ignoring the health risks.

Source: http://www.ackcitynews.com/2014/11/kano-is-nigerias-drug-abuse-hot-spot.html

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 04, 2014
37 percent? This is heartbreaking.
Ayamlaykorn

1 Like

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by 1shortblackboy: 12:57am On Nov 05, 2014
in kano i saw people buying and selling indian hemp openly in a market.its bad in kano but Abuja is getting as bad

8 Likes

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Nobody: 7:56am On Nov 08, 2014
That is why dudes from my town and its environ that stay in Kano are making it full time.
Although money is money but I hate money from shady businesses / deals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by BlaiseJohn(m): 9:58pm On Jan 01, 2015
wetin you expect from ABOKII cool my NIGGERS

13 Likes

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by kunlesehan(m): 9:59pm On Jan 01, 2015
My confidence is my opium ...Albert Einstein
lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Wendyslim(f): 9:59pm On Jan 01, 2015
Am not surprised undecided lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Maczeelly(m): 9:59pm On Jan 01, 2015
Okkk
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by toluxa1(m): 9:59pm On Jan 01, 2015
Hmmm, this Kano sha
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by holatin(m): 10:00pm On Jan 01, 2015
if na ordinary person tell me I no go believe.
I go think say na Lagos the most drug abuse state due to d population and thug immigrating from other states.

eko onibaje
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Raymondfayowole(m): 10:00pm On Jan 01, 2015
God help us all
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by abubkhr: 10:00pm On Jan 01, 2015
Owk.
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 01, 2015
Not surprised at all. I think Kaduna should come 2nd, †нε rate at which drugs(igbo, weed, marijuana, codeine etc) are consumed by these guys ®ëåll¥ baffles me. Some are so addicted to it in such a way that during Ramadan, they can't cope without taking †нε drugs. Ya Allah! Do have mercy on their souls.

Finally, you'll hardly see a northerner(rich, poor, literate, illiterate) that doesn't do drug.

BTW, if islam permits drugs, Ɣ doesn't it permit alcohol? Question for another day

23 Likes

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by shaboti: 10:01pm On Jan 01, 2015
So what
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by bluejeff(m): 10:01pm On Jan 01, 2015
This should be true.. I served in Kaduna & I witnessed those guys smoking, sniffing, inhaling & drinking everything just to get high because their religion does not permit alholic..
And then I ask myself what's the point of not taking alcohol then only to device other means to get high.

3 Likes

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Philip4040: 10:01pm On Jan 01, 2015
Wow!!!
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by chaloner(m): 10:02pm On Jan 01, 2015
Re dey talkin abt north ?
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by UnknownT: 10:02pm On Jan 01, 2015
Gum and Araldite sniffers

14 Likes

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by BlackPeni5: 10:03pm On Jan 01, 2015
No wonder why mindless killers thrive there...no be clear eye.

The fact that GEJ cannot campaign in Kano shows the level of intolerance in the North, yet they want us down South to vote them.

Bloody drug addicts.

24 Likes

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by youngcole: 10:03pm On Jan 01, 2015
Too many DAN DABAS!

1 Like

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by ToyozzieTohBad(f): 10:03pm On Jan 01, 2015
undecided NA TABA DEY CAUSE AM..

1 Like

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Tberry01(f): 10:03pm On Jan 01, 2015
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 01, 2015
Ok
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 01, 2015
see wetin GOODLUCK dey cause shaa
oya let the quotin begin!!!
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by fitzmayowa: 10:03pm On Jan 01, 2015
I hope some of our e-warriors will not start blaming GEJ for this...cheesy

BTW what is the kano state government doing about this issue 37% now at this rate it might go beyond that, If something is not done...

9 Likes

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by pussypounder(m): 10:03pm On Jan 01, 2015
Korrekt

1 Like

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Drdaps(m): 10:04pm On Jan 01, 2015
Those boys in the north
They are the badest in terms of drugs and co

1 Like

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jan 01, 2015
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by taiwo005(m): 10:04pm On Jan 01, 2015
What!!
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by UncleSnr(m): 10:05pm On Jan 01, 2015
Why not? That's why those bigots will be easily brainwashed to believe that heaven is all about fucking 72 virgins... Mtcheww!!!

Least I forget: [url="http://studentsdiary.net/Tx2Dx"]Have You Ever Made A Mistake? read more on how to get on with life[/url]

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by Yahzeelv(m): 10:05pm On Jan 01, 2015
Despite of their religious fanatics
Re: Kano Is Nigeria’s Drug Abuse Hot Spot- NDLEA by sule5727: 10:05pm On Jan 01, 2015
kunlesehan:
My confidence is my opium ...Albert Einstein
lol
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4,531 Sex Workers Undergo HIV Treatment, Counseling In Ogun / COVID-19: Almost All Doctors At UCH's Paediatric Department Are Infected / Human Breast Milk On Sale Via Website: The Hazards Involved

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.