Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,944 members, 7,814,194 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress (5940 Views)

Kenyan Forces Claim Control Of Westgate Mall / Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria / Mandela's Granddaughter Fighting For Control Of His Fortune (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 5:43am On Nov 05, 2014
CNN is projecting that the Republican Party will be the majority in both the US House of Representatives and the US Senate.

So far, the Republicans now have 52 seats in the Senate, whilst the Democrats have 44 seats. The Senate comprises 100 members.

In the House of Reps, the Republicans have won 218 seats. The House of Reps is a 435-member body.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by ogb5(m): 5:50am On Nov 05, 2014
Trouble for Obama.

Republicans will win the white house in 2016 and start another war in 2017

7 Likes

Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 6:01am On Nov 05, 2014
ogb5:
Trouble for Obama.

Republicans will win the white house in 2016 and start another war in 2017
I'm not sure the Repubs would capture the White House in 2016, but Obamacare may well be repealed. And it will now be much harder for Obama cabinet nominees to be confirmed in the Senate.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Descartes: 6:06am On Nov 05, 2014
Good. The Gay lord must go.

1 Like

Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by dridowu: 6:16am On Nov 05, 2014
Descartes:
Good. The Gay lord must go.
Who is the gay lord ? I think the gay lord itself is the American people, not Obama. Obama is only doing their wish if i guess right.

7 Likes

Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 6:21am On Nov 05, 2014
dridowu:
Who is the gay lord ? I think the gay lord itself is the American people, not Obama. Obama is only doing their wish if i guess right.
Gay marriage is now legal in 31 US states and Washington D.C.

1 Like

Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 6:49am On Nov 05, 2014
Update:
Oregon and Washington D.C. voters have approved the legalization of the recreational marijuana.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Lucasbalo(m): 6:55am On Nov 05, 2014
CFCfan:

I'm not sure the Repubs would capture the White House in 2016, but Obamacare may well be repealed. And it will now be much harder for Obama cabinet nominees to be confirmed in the Senate.
Obama care can't be repealed because Republicans will need 60 votes in the Senate to override the president veto. You are correct though about the cabinet nominees. The most scary part is if there is any vacancy in the supreme court, that will be a war between Obama and Mitch McConnell. This too shall pass because it's going to be a tough time in the US for the next two years. Hopefully, the Democrats will get their acts together.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by adioolayi(m): 6:55am On Nov 05, 2014
Chai! Americans grin
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by GuyFawkes: 6:59am On Nov 05, 2014
Serves the Democrats right, why were they distancing themselves from Obamacare and the presidents economic policies even when statistics have showed they were working albeit at a slow pace. It was expected anyway, its the trend in America for the voters to punish the party in power. The key demographics which swept Obama into office in 2008 and 2012 obviously abstained from voting.

Hope Obama can grow some balls now and act like a leader, jeez he's so annoying angry. Its all good for 2016 though I expect the Republicans to press the self destruct button for the next 2 years which will guarantee the Democrats the White House in 2016 as well ll as the US congress.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 05, 2014
Lucasbalo:
Obama care can't be repealed because Republicans will need 60 votes in the Senate to override the president veto. You are correct though about the cabinet nominees. The most scary part is if there is any vacancy in the supreme court, that will be a war between Obama and Mitch McConnell. This too shall pass because it's going to be a tough time in the US for the next two years. Hopefully, the Democrats will get their acts together.
I think the Repubs can repeal with a simply majority. Recall that last year, the Senate Democrats amended the Senate rules with regard to confirmation of nominees, filibuster, and other things.
They changed the threshold from 60 votes, to a single majority. Also, Mitch McConnell has been talking about gutting the Medical Devices tax aspect of Obamacare.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by GuyFawkes: 7:05am On Nov 05, 2014
Lucasbalo:

You can bet Obama will defend the ACA with his life, the Republicans will huff and puff but they won't be able to repeal it although Obama might once again be forced to tweak it again. The SCOTUS has being Republican for a while and I doubt there will be an opening between now and 2016. Citizens united gave the GOP the ammunition to spend billions on elections no thanks to the SCOTUS anyway.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Lucasbalo(m): 7:05am On Nov 05, 2014
CFCfan:

I think the Repubs can repeal with a simply majority. Recall that last year, the Senate Democrats amended the Senate rules with regard to confirmation of nominees, filibuster, and other things.
They changed the threshold from 60 votes, to a single majority. Also, Mitch McConnell has been talking about gutting the Medical Devices tax aspect of Obamacare.
51 votes is to pass a bill but to override a presidential veto, 60 votes will be needed. Check it out. Am positive on that.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Lucasbalo(m): 7:12am On Nov 05, 2014
GuyFawkes:

You can bet Obama will defend the ACA with his life, the Republicans will huff and puff but they won't be able to repeal it although Obama might once again be forced to tweak it again. The SCOTUS has being Republican for a while and I doubt there will be an opening between now and 2016. Citizens united gave the GOP the ammunition to spend billions on elections no thanks to the SCOTUS anyway.

You are absolutely right. Thats why Koch brothers spent $95 million dollars of their personal money on their various PACS. Not counting the other billionaires friends of the right wing nuts. Like I said before, this thing is cyclical. Its the GOP turn now but 2016 is around the corner. The tide will change and the Democrats will be back
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 7:14am On Nov 05, 2014
Lucasbalo:
51 votes is to pass a bill but to override a presidential veto, 60 votes will be needed. Check it out. Am positive on that.
You're right after all. My bad
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Lucasbalo(m): 7:18am On Nov 05, 2014
GuyFawkes:
Serves the Democrats right, why were they distancing themselves from Obamacare and the presidents economic policies even when statistics have showed they were working albeit at a slow pace. It was expected anyway, its the trend in America for the voters to punish the party in power. The key demographics which swept Obama into office in 2008 and 2012 obviously abstained from voting.

Hope Obama can grow some balls now and act like a leader, jeez he's so annoying angry. Its all good for 2016 though I expect the Republicans to press the self destruct button for the next 2 years which will guarantee the Democrats the White House in 2016 as well ll as the US congress.
That's the mistake a lots of those Democrats make. Many blacks and Hispanics didn't vote because of the distance this Democrats created between them and Obama. Serves them right. My Governor , Pat Quinn embraced Obama because Chicago is Obama's hometown and still lost.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Missy89(f): 7:18am On Nov 05, 2014
Good news cool
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Lucasbalo(m): 7:21am On Nov 05, 2014
CFCfan:

You're right after all. My bad
That's ok. We have seen the damage Republicans will do before, but we shall overcome. Every time the Republicans take over, the economy plunges. I hope that's not the case this time.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 7:22am On Nov 05, 2014
Lucasbalo:
That's the mistake a lots of those Democrats make. Many blacks and Hispanics didn't vote because of the distance this Democrats created between them and Obama. Serves them right. My Governor , Pat Quinn embraced Obama because Chicago is Obama's hometown and still lost.
Unfortunately for Obama, his home-state Governor will be a Republican.
But the biggest gubernatorial shock was a Republican winning Maryland's governorship election shocked.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by GuyFawkes: 7:24am On Nov 05, 2014
Lucasbalo:

There will soon be Republican governors in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Illinois!! This is a TOTAL repudiation of not only Obama, but the Democratic party as well.

The stupidest idea was to localize elections and run away from a unifying message. When you lead, you go on the offensive. Democrats had so many items to run on, but instead they ran away from their accomplishments. They allowed themselves to be defined by the Republican narrative. When you don't stand for the essence of your party, you deserve what you get.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by GuyFawkes: 7:26am On Nov 05, 2014
Missy89:
Good news cool

I can see you grinning from ear to ear angry
Yup serves him right tho.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Lucasbalo(m): 7:27am On Nov 05, 2014
CFCfan:

Unfortunately for Obama, his home-state Governor will be a Republican.
But the biggest gubernatorial shock was a Republican winning Maryland's governorship election shocked.
The newly elected Governor here is Rauner. The guy is a billionaire and everybody knows he's so far right with the tea party group . He spent over 30 million dollars of his own money and he overwhelmed the governor. You can't watch TV, or Radio or drive without his billboards. And Illinois is just like California, it's a blue state.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Missy89(f): 7:31am On Nov 05, 2014
GuyFawkes:

I can see you grinning from ear to ear angry
Yup serves him right tho.

Democrats have shown how stupid they can be. But honestly, wining the Senate wont change much.

K street gets what K street wants. It is just symbolical. Local elections are more important as since the status quo remained the same in my district. to hell with Obomber.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Lucasbalo(m): 7:33am On Nov 05, 2014
GuyFawkes:

There will soon be Republican governors in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Illinois!! This is a TOTAL repudiation of not only Obama, but the Democratic party as well.

The stupidest idea was to localize elections and run away from a unifying message. When you lead, you go on the offensive. Democrats had so many items to run on, but instead they ran away from their accomplishments. They allowed themselves to be defined by the Republican narrative. When you don't stand for the essence of your party, you deserve what you get.
You are right. I did vote earlier and was surprised that the lady told me when I came that they are projecting less than 30 percent in my precinct. We have to be hopeful. Have gone through the craziness of Reagan and Budh junior. America will rise up again. It's just disappointing. Am about the only Democrat in my office and I will sure get a lot of ribbing in the office morrow.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by tomakint: 7:33am On Nov 05, 2014
dridowu:
but he is the President for crying out loud must he kowtow to the unholy and untoward demands of a few Americans undecided.....this is why I prefer the Republicans to the Democrats anytime anyday. Obama is not a smart administrator
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 05, 2014
Lucasbalo:
The newly elected Governor here is Rauner. The guy is a billionaire and everybody knows he's so far right with the tea party group . He spent over 30 million dollars of his own money and he overwhelmed the governor. You can't watch TV, or Radio or drive without his billboards. And Illinois is just like California, it's a blue state.
Lol. That's why I like American politics, in spite of its imperfections. Imagine an incumbent governor, whose party also controls Aso Rock, being outspent by the opposition candidate? That's impossible grin
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 05, 2014
APC wins majority in NASS?

APC to clinch presidential ticket...
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Lucasbalo(m): 7:37am On Nov 05, 2014
tomakint:

but he is the President for crying out loud must he kowtow to the unholy and untoward demands of a few Americans undecided.....this is why I prefer the Republicans to the Democrats anytime anyday. Obama is not a smart administrator
You sure don't know how the politics in America works. The Republicans you prefer are 10 times worse than Obama.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 05, 2014
Here in California, incumbent governor - Jerry Brown (D), easily won reelection without campaigning grin grin He has beaten his opponent by over 20% points.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Lucasbalo(m): 7:39am On Nov 05, 2014
CFCfan:

Lol. That's why I like American politics, in spite of its imperfections. Imagine an incumbent governor, whose party also controls Aso Rock, being outspent by the opposition candidate? That's impossible grin
You are right. Have alway said what's being practiced in Nigeria is Kleptocracy not Democracy.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by Lucasbalo(m): 7:41am On Nov 05, 2014
CFCfan:
Here in California, incumbent governor - Jerry Brown (D), easily won reelection without campaigning grin grin He has beaten his opponent by over 20% points.
That's not a surprise. His second coming as a Governor of California is a very good one. He's done a great job.
Re: Republicans Win Control Of The US Congress by GuyFawkes: 7:43am On Nov 05, 2014
Missy89:

Democrats have shown how stupid they can be. But honestly, wining the Senate wont change much.

K street gets what K street wants. It is just symbolical. Local elections are more important as since the status quo remained the same in my district. to hell with Obomber.

Yes K street still reign supreme in my opinion
Mr. Obama has always been Republican lite. From the beginning, he put Wall Street and banking types in charge of the economy. The banks were bailed out, but the overwhelming majority of defrauded homeowners got nothing. He presided over a massive expansion of government spying on all Americans, put through a health insurance package that richly rewards the insurance companies, failed to close Guantanamo, etc.

Mr. Obama sold out his base over and over. He was even willing to put Social Security cuts on the table. Obama apologists keep saying that he faced unrelenting opposition, but he had a Democratic Congress during his first two years. He could have fired up the base and put through progressive policies IF he had believed in them. And, to be fair, most of the Democrats in Congress are Republican lite.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

'South Africa Could Be Big Oil Producer' / Sa Ready To Join Nigeria To Fight BH / Bishop T.D Jakes And Minister Joe Wright On Homosexuality.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.