Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,303 members, 7,811,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process (113300 Views)

Photos From The Building Collapse In Lekki, Lagos This Morning / Photos From The Building Collapse In Isheri-Magodo, Lagos In The Morning / Building My 3 Bedroom Bungalow (the Apocalypse) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 12:41pm On Nov 05, 2014
Praise be the name of the most high God!
I finally took the bulls by their horns and dived into building myself a country home - a 5 Bedroom Bungalow in my home town.
Following (silently) the lectures of the big building guys on Nairaland, Spyder880 especially! I'm both the architect and project manager for this my building, not because I'm selfish or a "do-it-all" person but because I have learnt a lot from the people who have built and posted the process on NL.

I'm not a professionally trained architect, but in my former life I was a civil Engineer, LOL; I came up with a floor plan that I loved. I gave the completed drawing to a trained architect to have a look and within 24 hours, he sold my plan to his client and so I had to change few things in the plan (position of dinning room, study room which was also converted into a Self Contain attached to the main building to make mine a 5 bedroom instead of the original 4 bedroom I set out to build).

While this thread is to showcase the process of the building, its also an invitation to the great builders in NL for their good advise, suggestions and an e-helping hand.

I will be sharing costs and pictures as it progresses.

1 Like

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 12:52pm On Nov 05, 2014
Elevation images of the building. The final building will be this 'simplistic'

2 Likes

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by write2obi(m): 12:53pm On Nov 05, 2014
I see, u want to take advantage of the new PDP swig cheesy nice wink
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 12:58pm On Nov 05, 2014
write2obi:
I see, u want to take advantage of the new PDP swig cheesy nice wink
wink
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 1:10pm On Nov 05, 2014
Thursday 30/10/2014: Pegging and digging of foundation was done

1 Like

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 1:33pm On Nov 05, 2014
Blinding of foundation done - Friday 31/10/2014

And by Monday 03/11/2014...

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by Nobody: 1:41pm On Nov 05, 2014
OP congrats
Abeg add cost of each phase as u go we will join u O IJN
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 1:54pm On Nov 05, 2014
nano4him:
OP congrats
Abeg add cost of each phase as u go we will join u O IJN
Yes will do! Need to get to where I have previous costs recorded...
Our bountiful giving God will make you start yours soon, moreso now that political campaigning has brought down the prices of Dangote and BUA cement

1 Like

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by AnodaIT(m): 2:37pm On Nov 05, 2014
Here we go again
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 05, 2014
century106:

Yes will do! Need to get to where I have previous costs recorded...
Our bountiful giving God will make you start yours soon, moreso now that political campaigning has brought down the prices of Dangote and BUA cement

did you actually buy cement for 1k per bag

what state is this projects

how many blocks are you envisaging to use for this project
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 3:57pm On Nov 05, 2014
aguiyi:

did you actually buy cement for 1k per bag

what state is this projects

how many blocks are you envisaging to use for this project

No I haven't bought cement for 1K yet, no seller will sell old stock for less and if Dangote & co don't put a price tag on the bags of cement that's to be sold for 1k, sellers will still sell for old price and claim its their old stock. The project is somewhere in Abia state. So far I have molded blocks off 90 bags of cement (6" solid for dpc & exterior walls and 5" blocks for interior walls)... 27/28 6" solid blocks per bag & 32 5" solid per bag. I'm envisaging 5500 - 6000 blocks total for this project...

2 Likes

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 7:56pm On Nov 05, 2014
Building Details
Size of land/plot: 104ft 154ft by 102ft (almost a square, now it's 3 plots of land grin) and the building will occupy 2902 SQ FT or 269.61 M2
The building will carry a total of 16 pillars to support the fascia (parapet).
The Entry Porch/Seat-out/Veranda measures 13 by 8ft
The Waiting room is 9 by 8ft and visitor's toilet is 3 by 8ft
The Living room (parlour) is 17 by 21ft and a small bar of 6 by 5ft
Dinning room is 13 by 11ft
The Kitchen is a stadium - 13 by 18.5ft with a 5 by 14ft store. The kitchen has a veranda measuring 12 by 5ft
The Master Bedroom is 14 by 14 ft with a 6 by 8ft wardrobe and an 8 by 8ft toilet & bathroom
Master/Private Lounge is 14 by 11ft with a porch/veranda/seat-out that's 4 by 11ft
Guest Room is 12 by 12ft, en-suite
The Other 2 Rooms share a common toilet & bath and are at least 12 by 12ft. The toilet is 5.5 by 8ft
The attached Self Contained Apt is 11 by 13ft with 8 by 7 Kitchen and a 4 by 7ft toilet & bath
There is a 12 by 8.5ft hall in the building that can be used as work-out area

Chi n'edu m

4 Likes

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 8:13pm On Nov 05, 2014
It rained heavily today, so no work on the site.

DPC is 4 coaches; it's a dry flat land...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by LORDI(m): 8:19pm On Nov 05, 2014
Na only you wan build 3 bed room bungalow?....do you know how long it will take you.
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 8:32pm On Nov 05, 2014
LORDI:
Na only you wan build 3 bed room bungalow?....do you know how long it will take you.
Hahaha NO!
I said I'm the project manager meaning I'm overseeing the progress myself. There are more than 10 people working on the site daily; iron bender, block molders, block layers, labourers and of course the woman that cooks for them. I'm about 4 hours away from the site, so I will be going there as often as I can to oversee things.

It's a 5 bedroom bungalow by the way, thanks

1 Like

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by gboyex(m): 8:37pm On Nov 05, 2014
Following.... Hope you don't mind showing us the floor plan. Congrats bro, should start mine next year
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 9:14pm On Nov 05, 2014
gboyex:
Following.... Hope you don't mind showing us the floor plan. Congrats bro, should start mine next year
Sure...

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by akinsadeez(m): 9:17pm On Nov 05, 2014
hmmmm. I am quite some way off building my own house but this is kind of good thing one should follow. at least I'm gonna learn a lot and might use it later.
Thanks for sharing ur progress and challenges with us.

1 Like

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by mufutau55(m): 10:45pm On Nov 05, 2014
Century106, Welcome with your thread... God is good.

Why is the kitchen not accessible to the room in the attached One room flat?
The plan is nice and well thought-out..

Hajji M.
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by SMALLPENIS(f): 11:43pm On Nov 05, 2014
autocad would be good for the image projections
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by seunlayi(m): 5:44am On Nov 06, 2014
I love this

1 Like

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 7:47am On Nov 06, 2014
akinsadeez:
hmmmm. I am quite some way off building my own house but this is kind of good thing one should follow. at least I'm gonna learn a lot and might use it later.
Thanks for sharing ur progress and challenges with us.
Yes, it pays off well at the end. I learned a lot following the progress of other builders and the lectures by Spyder880
mufutau55:
Century106, Welcome with your thread... God is good.

Why is the kitchen not accessible to the room in the attached One room flat?
The plan is nice and well thought-out..

Hajji M.
Thanks sir. God is good indeed!
The attached One room flat will be occupied by someone (tenant) who will take care of the compound since it's in the village. It's a temporary BQ until the main BQ is built, God's willing.

SMALLPENIS:
autocad would be good for the image projections
I love Autocad but this one is better. The real image projections looks more real than what Autocad's revit will produce.
seunlayi:
I love this
Thanks sir.
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by tandj: 8:02am On Nov 06, 2014
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by NL1960: 10:12am On Nov 06, 2014
century106:

Sure...

Since this is a project in the village where there is land, why not make the two rooms en-suite instead of them sharing one toilet & bath. I initially did something like this for my duplex project in the village and somebody advised me to make the two rooms en-suite. I took the advise and i was glad that i did. The extra cost is not much. Gives a lot of privacy.

2 Likes

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by kopell: 10:46am On Nov 06, 2014
@Century106, congratulation. My advice to you from experience project 10- 15 or even 20% above your budget, to put you in better position on the safe side. My brother things happen along the line, from workers issues to material ETC.
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by century106: 12:17pm On Nov 06, 2014
tandj:
Nna jisie ike.
Ihe a na eme adighi easy.
B4 u know it, its all over.
Pls make sure u do most things urself so as to cut cost.
God bless u.
Ihe a na eme adighi easy at all. Imela!
To save money, I will do most of the monitoring myself...
NL1960:

Since this is a project in the village where there is land, why not make the two rooms en-suite instead of them sharing one toilet & bath. I initially did something like this for my duplex project in the village and somebody advised me to make the two rooms en-suite. I took the advise and i was glad that i did. The extra cost is not much. Gives a lot of privacy.
Thanks sir, I will take the advise
kopell:
@Century106, congratulation. My advice to you from experience project 10- 15 or even 20% above your budget, to put you in better position on the safe side. My brother things happen along the line, from workers issues to material ETC.
Thanks sir; I have kept an open mind (pocket) about what may come, I pray my ome ihe ukwu God gives me and all of us more than enough resources to build our perfect desired homes.
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by mufutau55(m): 3:38pm On Nov 06, 2014
century106:
Thanks sir. God is good indeed!
The attached One room flat will be occupied by someone (tenant) who will take care of the compound since it's in the village. It's a temporary BQ until the main BQ is built, God's willing.

Sure, I understood, thanks. And God shall provide to finish the project.

Hajji M.
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by arsetalks(m): 7:01pm On Nov 06, 2014
I am following this thread keenly. Whats your estimated cost for this? Total estimated cost. That will give me an idea.
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by write2obi(m): 8:04pm On Nov 10, 2014
Pls Hajji M what is the difference btwn a porch and a verandah?
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by mufutau55(m): 9:35pm On Nov 10, 2014
write2obi:
Pls Hajji M what is the difference btwn a porch and a verandah?

You know, to me they are the same.. In my book, Porch is just another fancy or sophisticated term for verandah.
Try and google for "Verandah" and "Porch" and look at the images, I bet they are basically the same.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by mufutau55(m): 9:43pm On Nov 10, 2014
Re: My Five (5) Bedroom Bungalow - The Building Process by write2obi(m): 10:31pm On Nov 10, 2014
mufutau55:

You know, to me they are the same.. In my book, Porch is just another fancy or sophisticated term for verandah.
Try and google for "Verandah" and "Porch" and look at the images, I bet they are basically the same.

Hajji M.
What about dressing and walk-in closet?

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Femi Osibona: Face Behind Collapsed 21-storey Building In Ikoyi / The Making Of The Enugu 6 Bedroom Duplex / Sending Money Back Home For A Project: What Has Been Your Experience?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.