Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,492 members, 7,830,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! (3948 Views)

8 Cars That Could Make Nigerian Ladies Not To See You As A Car Owner (photos) / Cars That Make Women Most Appealing / Can One Ever Jumpstart An Automatic Car Just Like A Manual Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by tonychristopher: 5:05pm On Nov 06, 2014
Every year fewer cars are offered with a clutch and a shifter. For one thing, it's simply easier for drivers to let an automatic or an automated manual with paddle shifters do the work for them. And in sports cars (the worst offenders), the newest computer-controlled transmissions shift more quickly than any human can, so engineers see the manual being as outdated as a caveman's club. But we disagree. A manual is more engaging and fun, requires more skill, and makes the driver better. Here are 10 of the greatest driver's cars that still offer a manual transmission.Now note that in manual its the man that drives the car but unlike in Automatics its the computer that drives the man, making the man just a dummy.

Some are okay with shift or stick while some will do auto but know that these are simply good cars that comes exclusively in manual

2012 Mazda Miata
Since the summer of 1989, the reasonably priced Mazda MX-5 Miata has been thrilling sports car fans with its featherweight rear-drive chassis (just over 2000 pounds) and drop-top fun-in-the-sun persona. The Miata's organically responsive handling, mixed with a large dollop of 1960s British roadster, drew buyers by the tens of thousands. But it's no stretch to say that it was Mazda's brilliant five-speed manual transmission that created much of the trill. The stubby little shifter was so effortless that it moved with just a modest flick of the wrist. The second generation Miata in 1999 got one more gear for the 10th anniversary models; that six-speed remained optional (the five-speed was standard) well into the third generation and was equally great to use. Miata's sports car formula has lasted for more than two decades, and it's no surprise. For 20-plus years Mazda has offered one of the best manual transmissions available on any car at any price.

2013 Subaru BRZ (aka Scion FR-S)

One of the most highly anticipated machines of the year is the joint-venture sports car between Subaru and Toyota (which makes Scion). Subaru's BRZ will reportedly have the slight performance edge on the Scion version of this car, but both are lightweight (around 2700 pounds), rear-wheel drive, pack 200 horsepower four-cylinder engines, and come standard with a six-speed manual. These twins are the first credible sports car challengers to the Mazda Miata since the late Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice.
Naturally, the engineers were tempted to design a heavier and more expensive twin-clutch, paddle-shift transmission instead of a manual. But we're sure glad they didn't. Besides, Subaru's goal wasn't just to match its direct competition, like the Miata, but to provide the same level of driving involvement as a Porsche Cayman by making the BRZ as rewarding and organic-feeling as possible. The early drive reports seem to confirm that the team met that goal—during PM's first drive in Japan, the six-speed manual was precise and satisfying. We predict Subaru (and Scion) will sell quite a lot of six-speed manual sports cars.

2012 Audi TT RS

Often, when an automaker launches an exciting new sports car, it follows its customer research that says Americans only want to drive an automatic transmission or an automated manual with paddle shifters. Not so when it came to the TT RS, the highest-performing version of Audi's entry-level sports car. Audi decided that the TT RS should only have the manual transmission, as a special treat for its most hardcore buyers. Let the rest of the world have the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. It is, in fact quicker, but would a few tenths of a second be worth losing the engagement of a manual transmission? Not to us.
The 360-hp TT RS is a fantastic car for reasons beyond its six-speed manual. This is one of the easiest and most rewarding high-performance cars you can drive. It's forgiving and good-natured, but keeps the driver thrilled by the experience. Only 1000 of these friendly beasts will be available for 2012 and 2013, so you'd better get your order in now.

2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon
Station wagons used to be the de facto American family transportation vessel. But once the minivan and mainstream SUV came along in the 1980s, wagons became uncool. Today a small contingent of enthusiasts appreciates these cars, especially a high-performance rear-drive wagon. Only Cadillac and Mercedes-Benz offer these beastly machines, and Cadillac makes a six-speed manual transmission for who that like to shift for themselves. Thank you, Cadillac.

The 556-hp Cadillac CTS-V wagon equipped with a manual transmission is so wild and rare that it might someday become a collector car. It's intensely satisfying to throw gears in an American station wagon with such a powerful V-8. The CTS-V is like a throwback to the muscle car days of the 1960s and early '70s—except this wagon could outrun just about anything from that era. The Caddy's Tremec TR6060 six-speed transmission is the same one GM uses in the 638-hp Corvette ZR1 and the new 580-hp Camaro ZL1, both of which share the CTS-V's engine. So this wagon is in very good company.

2013 BMW M5
BMW rarely makes mistakes, but when it does, they are never insignificant. Since 1988, the BMW M5 has been the sport sedan all others were measured against. In its later years, it was closer to a super sports sedan, performing more like a Corvette or Porsche 911 than most four-door vehicles. And of course, these wonderfully rewarding BMW sedans came with just one transmission—a manual.

Then in 2005, BMW launched the third generation M5 with an outrageous 500-hp V-10, questionable styling, and a downright terrible single clutch automated manual transmission with paddle shifters. It was called the SMG, and its shifts were so jerky and unsophisticated in automatic mode that BMW fans (and the media) revolted. So in 2008 BMW finally brought back the manual. Lesson learned.

The all-new 2012 M5 comes standard with a manual transmission. If you opt for the seven-speed dual-clutch, paddle-shift transmission, the M5 will be quicker. But who cares? The new 560-hp twin-turbo V-8-powered M5 is the beefiest sport sedan you can get with a manual. Take that Mercedes-Benz and Audi.

2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
Ford knows how to do retro properly. To our eye, this Mustang looks tight, well proportioned, and purposeful. Best of all, ever since 2007, when Ford brought back the Shelby GT500 as the ultimate Mustang, it has been available only with a six-speed manual transmission. No automatics allowed. That will remain true when the upgraded 2013 GT500, with 650 hp to make 200 mph, goes on sale later this year.

Among the Shelby Mustang's competitors, both the Dodge Challenger SRT8 and the new Chevy Camaro ZL1 offer an optional automatic. Wimps. The new Shelby not only packs an upgraded manual for 2013, but it wears a perfect white ball atop the shifter—a nice little nod to '60s muscle. The setup looks tough, and the ball's dimensions are an ideal fit for the palm, making the driving experience just that much more fun.

Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by tonychristopher: 5:08pm On Nov 06, 2014
The Mini John Cooper Works GP is the best car the company makes. Period. It's the fastest and best handling, and it looks mean. With 211 hp and a slick, six-speed gearbox, it's as fun as cars with twice the power. It's also rare. Mini's only building 2,000, and only 500 of them are slated for U.S. consumption.

then

Fine, its not out quite yet, but the new Camaro Z/28 lands squarely on the list. Limited creature comforts, maximum performance is the formula for the forthcoming super-Camaro. It ensures that the LS7 V8 from the now-defunct C6 Corvette Z06 finds a new home, and like that car, a six speed manual is the only transmission offered.

Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by Mutuwa(m): 5:35pm On Nov 06, 2014
I love manual cars..love d speed.

1 Like

Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by lonelydora: 5:42pm On Nov 06, 2014
For highway driving I prefer manual cars, but for city driving I prefer auto tranny cars

1 Like

Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by nurey(m): 5:54pm On Nov 06, 2014
How can you forget to mention the lamborghini AVANTADOR, the car that nearly squeezed the life out of the Bugatti veyron .

1 Like

Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by tonychristopher: 10:40am On Nov 07, 2014
nurey:
How can you forget to mention the lamborghini AVANTADOR, the car that nearly squeezed the life out of the Bugatti veyron .

Yes your right but lamborghini AVANTADOR is in between , its a manual car with electronic cluch system

In terms of acceleration, it is most efficient to have a semi-automatic vehicle that does not allow you to control the clutch but allows you to shift gear manually. A physical clutch pedal, regardless of driver skill, can never be operated as quickly as the car's computer during a gear change.

While it is true that manual cars are often marginally faster than fully automatic(not semi-auto) cars it is in part due to the weight that the automatic gearbox adds to a car and because the driver does not have control of the gears in a fully automatic car. A car with a manual transmission is lighter(and cheaper too) than one with an automatic transmission. Once a driver is able to shift(and drag) gears when he pleases, it often makes the semi-automatic superior to the manual in terms of speed.

For this reason, top supercars such as the Lamborghini Aventador and Bugatti Veyron are only offered with 7 speed semi-automatic transmissions. Cost is not a factor for people who buy these cars and the new semi-automatic gearboxes(while still heavier than a manual) are so efficient that they make up for the weight increase.

Electrohydraulic manual transmission is a type of semi-automatic transmission system, which uses an automated clutch unlike conventional manual transmissions where the driver operates the clutch. The clutch is controlled by electronic computers and hydraulics. To change gears, the driver selects the desired gear with the transmission shift lever, and the system automatically operates the clutch and throttle to match revs and engage the clutch again. Also, many such transmissions operate in sequential mode where the driver can only upshift or downshift by one gear at a time.

Depending on the implementation, some computer-controlled electrohydraulic manual transmissions will automatically shift gears at the right points (like an automatic transmission), while others require the driver to manually select the gear even when the engine is at the redline. Despite superficial similarity, clutchless manual transmission differ significantly in internal operation and driver's 'feel' from manumatics, the latter of which is an automatic transmission (automatics use a torque converter instead of clutch to manage the link between the engine and the transmission) with ability to signal shifts manually.

1 Like

Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:54pm On Nov 07, 2014
you can tell that the artile was pulled from an americam web site

because of the offer of manual transmission

roughly 90% of cars in europe are manual
Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by tonychristopher: 6:36pm On Nov 07, 2014
ZIMDRILL:
you can tell that the artile was pulled from an americam web site

because of the offer of manual transmission

roughly 90% of cars in europe are manual

YOUR VERY CORRECT, EUROPEANS ARE MANUAL BASED PEOPLE AND THEY ARE RIGHT ABOUT IT, JUST THAT MOST TOKUNBO IN NIGERIA ARE COMING FROM USA
Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by zinaLPF: 12:52am On Nov 25, 2014
@ tonychristopher -

"Strictly For Men Pls!!!"?
Your prerogative of course, but how very silly.
Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by AutosBay(m): 6:05am On Nov 25, 2014
So sad seeing all the great cars going to automatics or, God forbid, those awful CVT's. You cannot buy a BMW in a lot with a manual tranny. And what is with every darn one being black? If you live where the sun is intense, white is the only color to buy. Americans are so lazy. They want the car they buy to burp them and wipe their collective fannies. Well, I grew up with a clutch. Learned on a good old Austin Healy bug eyed Sprite. Driving was never so involved and FUN. The new 7 series VW GTI is going to be a hot seller. Boosted power and torque, great shifting manual tranny. The experts are awaiting the GDI, a very high horsepower Turbo Diesel that will go head to head with the GTI 0-60 and massive amounts of torque where you need it...low on the RPM band. I loathe Mercedes and Audi for abandoning manual transmissions. American are so busy yacking, texting, eating, grooming, reading that they simply lack any attention whatever. I guess that is why they want the car to shift for them. Sadly the shift points are determined by some 24 year old engineer. With a true manual, YOU get to shift when you want and that helps avoid accidents and makes a huge difference in snow.

1 Like

Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by Lagusta(m): 10:20am On Nov 25, 2014
I once saw a peugeot 407 with 6-speed manual tranny in ilorin, looked sweet and driveable!!!

I'll forever love manual transmissions, auto trannies are for lazy-a55 sissies

1 Like

Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by tonychristopher: 4:49pm On Nov 25, 2014
zinaLPF:

@ tonychristopher -

do you drive manual, are you a car dude...your contributions are welcome, but i am not silly though
Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by tonychristopher: 4:49pm On Nov 25, 2014
Lagusta:
I once saw a peugeot 407 with 6-speed manual tranny in ilorin, looked sweet and driveable!!!

I'll forever love manual transmissions, auto trannies are for lazy-a55 sissies
your correct bro
Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by tonychristopher: 4:51pm On Nov 25, 2014
AutosBay:
So sad seeing all the great cars going to automatics or, God forbid, those awful CVT's. You cannot buy a BMW in a lot with a manual tranny. And what is with every darn one being black? If you live where the sun is intense, white is the only color to buy. Americans are so lazy. They want the car they buy to burp them and wipe their collective fannies. Well, I grew up with a clutch. Learned on a good old Austin Healy bug eyed Sprite. Driving was never so involved and FUN. The new 7 series VW GTI is going to be a hot seller. Boosted power and torque, great shifting manual tranny. The experts are awaiting the GDI, a very high horsepower Turbo Diesel that will go head to head with the GTI 0-60 and massive amounts of torque where you need it...low on the RPM band. I loathe Mercedes and Audi for abandoning manual transmissions. American are so busy yacking, texting, eating, grooming, reading that they simply lack any attention whatever. I guess that is why they want the car to shift for them. Sadly the shift points are determined by some 24 year old engineer. With a true manual, YOU get to shift when you want and that helps avoid accidents and makes a huge difference in snow.

in auto...the car drive the man, in trannies the man drive the car
Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by zinaLPF: 8:55pm On Nov 25, 2014
tonychristopher:

do you drive manual, are you a car dude...your contributions are welcome, but i am not silly though

I do not know you Sir, so it would be unreasonable for me to call you silly.

I do drive a manual, I am not a dude, so by your title ( Strictly for Men, Pls ) my contributions are not welcome.
Thats what I find silly. Then again, it is your prerogative to be sexist.

1 Like

Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by tonychristopher: 9:34am On Nov 26, 2014
zinaLPF:

I do not know you Sir, so it would be unreasonable for me to call you silly.

I do drive a manual, I am not a dude, so by your title ( Strictly for Men, Pls ) my contributions are not welcome.
Thats what I find silly. Then again, it is your prerogative to be sexist.

I AM IMPRESSED MA'AM AND I AINT NO SEXIST MA....I FEEL HUMBLED AND I AM ADMIRING YOU...BUT DO YOU PREFER MANUAL OR AUTOS.... WE ANTICIPATE AND WELCOME YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS PLS
Re: The 10 Best Cars That Offer A Manual Transmission - Strictly For Men Pls!!! by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 26, 2014
zinaLPF:

@ tonychristopher -

Very silly!

(1) (Reply)

Mimic Your Favorite Nl Moniker/ Character / Why Some Batteries Dont Last 4 Years / Where Can I Get Honda Service Center Here In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.