Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,035 members, 7,818,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Already Frustrated With My New Job - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Already Frustrated With My New Job (31376 Views)

... / New Job Vacancies (entry Level) / Six Years After School, No Job Yet. He Is Frustrated & Confused, Pls Advice Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by maryhaam(f): 11:55am On Nov 08, 2014
Am experiencing the same,applied for a protocol officer job, now am the company secretary.......that Nigeria for u,everywhere is distabilized just doing it for the main time.
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Originalsly: 12:17pm On Nov 08, 2014
Truth be told...you are blinded by your pride and ego ....blind to common sense. Don't for minute take this as an insult but the bitter truth. Instead of forging ahead...did you reflect on how you got into this situation?...did you try to see where you went wrong/what mistakes you made? How on earth can you study for a test and you have no clue what kind of test?....didn't a bell go off in your head?...and why would your friend withhold the name of the company? ..shouldn't you at least know that so you can do some research on the company? The company required certain qulifictions...but never stated position ...and you never asked...but they did let you know at the last minute....and you accepted. You also agreed to a salary of below K140. Would you cry foul if your next pay cheque is N1000K? I hope you didn't burn the bridge on leaving your last job. I suggest you try to get back in as soon as possible if you see no need for a man of your qualification in this company.

1 Like

Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 08, 2014
Will you rather be a manager that earns 50k or a messenger that earns close to 140k?...it all boils down to ur basic financial needs;thank God dt after all work will eventaully close by 4:00 or thereabouts....and you"ll go out,av fun and socialize,it doesn't matter wot u do...as long as you get paid...afterall,you don't know the role other people play in their work places...or if you don't like the way the treat you;you could tell them upfront,let them take it to anywhere;and u can tell "em you won't accept an undignified treatment....
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by chumasmog(m): 12:35pm On Nov 08, 2014
sincerely speaking, this isn't funny it could happen to anybody. but d fact is that such is life its part of experience, jst b determined and focused, u neva can tel whn d ball will turn around
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by vislabraye(m): 12:42pm On Nov 08, 2014
Please my people of nairaland, I need your advice on what step to take on this situation.

Please no insults, I just need an advice.
I am an engineer by profession, I worked as a consultant in a company some years back until I got this present job. Truth be told I was happy when I was called for an interview in a much bigger company where I presumed I will make a career. First I remember I submitted my CV to a friend who promised to hook me up with a better job, and sometime this year he called to advice I study for a test but refused to tell me the company n type of test I should prepare for. To cut off the long story, sometime last month, I was called in for an interview for the proposed job, I was elated and took an undermined risk of travelling for the interview. On reaching the office the next day, I was impressed at the company and the level of organisation in the company. I was interviewed, I performed and I was told that I will be briefed when I resume. Waow I already got the job which was what I told myself because of the way I saw how impressed the interviewers looked. Finally I got the job with an offer of below a hundred and forty thousand as gross salary, I later realized that I was employed as an office assistant, me an engineer a formal manager and to grease the elbow, it was stated in my offer letter and I was to serve a dozen of young engineers in my office. I resumed with total equality but realised that I was way below the food chain and the young stars didn't waste time to clear me on that. One of them yesterday even told me I would help him make some deposit at d bank and all that, and even went on to say that it was part of my job description. Now I know I don't have to envy which is non of my business, it's already 14 days into the job and I feel my dignity has been tramped and I may not have a quick rise here. Let me halt here but will share more ordeal I have passed through in this few days if you care.

Please I just need to know what you people think and what you have to advice either for me to get out of this situation or another.
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Gwan2(m): 12:43pm On Nov 08, 2014
Am also an Engineer (Chemical) by 1st degree qualificatn ,graduated wit a 2.1 if u must knw....Guess wer am presently workin, in a Bank as a DSA (contract staff) for 2 yrs runnin now i ve bin stagnated on a spot....Ma monthly allowanz depends on hw i meet ma mnthly target....Last mnth i had a vry low pay of #35000........Mind u i pay ma rent, foot ma billz, even had to send some money home...Mayb ur background aint same wit mine, probably u gat som backup bt as 4 me quittin da job means goin bak home n u knw wat dat means...cos as as a man ur job is ur pride.
I hav com 2 a point of realizatn dat i nid to giv God 1st place in ma lyf n he wil take ma places....1 touch of God's favor can catapult u to a new level u can neva imagine (as som1 said abt da top manager in shell)...Ma broda no tym is a wasted tym, ur dia 4 a purpose,,so mak sure u pass d test...God knws hw to mak up 4 lost tym so 4get abt tym ur wastin...somtym u culd b runnin 1000km/hr in dá wrng directn.

2 Likes

Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Ama28(f): 1:22pm On Nov 08, 2014
Op, the easiest way out of your job is to leave the job and walk. Another option will be to do it efficiently and efffectively in such a way that those engineers cannot have a fullfilled day at work without your services.
By doing this you will make yourself an assest rather than a liability. Take this opportunity to study what they do, teach yourself and be equipped.
For me I will advice you take advantage of a bad situation. I had my lecturers who trampled on me at school as colleagues under my supervision once. Don't mind their pride. But this is the most difficult way out. It all boils down to what you want, easy or hard way out. Goodluck in the decision you make

3 Likes

Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Reference(m): 2:37pm On Nov 08, 2014
I really wish I could respond to the substance of the text but there is something I notice which may or may not contribute to the scenario.

Your presentation is frankly, below par. I do admit in certain professional circles this is not considered a hindrance but when you aspire to govern an office at a level higher than yours, you must equally raise your standards to meet its demands or you will repositioned. In engineering the rule is simple you look for the tool for the job and not look for the job for the tool you have.

You simply donot meet the criteria yet, for the position you think as they see it from their perspective. So raise your game.
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 08, 2014
Bros just giv me d name n contact n directory of the job so I can swap position with u. Thanks.
Reach me via @iamjohnbright on twitter
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by masamari(m): 3:08pm On Nov 08, 2014
Honestly I feel so bad for you Guy but you still have every reason to smile ok, bcoz million of good degrees are out there looking for something to do. I was trapped under UK graduate scheme 2012 having completed my degree we were forced to go back home without enjoying the 2 years visa permit. Those who belongs to my generation can confirm how emotional wreck it was then, all along I flee back to Nigeria where I have to use my degree to start my career as a trainee of which most of my senior ordinate in my dept bagged OND with their professional certification. That's my field for you! So I took my time to learn practically and pursue my professional cert. It takes me another 1years but now by God grace I have overtake all of them. Having good degree in engineering should be an added advantage irrespective of your starting point, just open your mind to learn and research on professional courses that's is relevant to you company and your career. If I may say the new offer could be blessings in disguise! Best of luck Ore
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Nobody: 3:32pm On Nov 08, 2014
saponification:
So sorry.I can imagine how u r feelin now.had a similar experiense yesterday when a company I applied to as an admin manager only informed me at d last stage of d interview dat there's no position for such(but they advertised for it) rather I will be employed as a sales person.I really felt bad havin my hopes dashed at d last minutebut if u quit dis ur present job now,is d former job still available for u.if no,then I suggest u exercise patience n continuw wit dis present job instead of stayin jobless while u start searching for better job.but incase of next time,its advisable u find out every deatail about a job before takin it up talkless of droping a job u were enjoyin for sometin u weren't sure of.anyway I believe u've learnt ur lesson cos experience is d best teacher.wish u d best in future

you have said it all, he bleeped up by not knowing the details of the job offer before resigning from the formal, but come to think of it, you do not have to resign your job before accepting there offer, that is in-mature of you and lack of experience on your part. secondly he did nt tell us the salary difference btw his formal job and the later one. thirdly, your friend, your so called friend betrayed you.

3 Likes

Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 08, 2014
i know an engineer with a uk master degree that earns less than 100k a month. although, it is the kind of job he liks
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 08, 2014
Saraha1:

Face you say? Now you must be dreaming! Where did you see my pix?

So tell me where you think you have met me.

you need to calm down if you want us to talk.
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Saraha1(f): 5:06pm On Nov 08, 2014
letsdothis:

you need to calm down if you want us to talk.
yes sir. But do you mind telling me where we have met?
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by inice(m): 5:07pm On Nov 08, 2014
It happened to me my friends. I got a job after passing the interview. We argued on the pay on phone for days. Finally they accepted mine. I asked for employment letter but was told I will get it later. After a month I was paid salary to discover that they short paid me. I refused to pick up the money. They argued vehemently that the pay was our agreement. Now I have resigned from my former job. what do I do? Plz advice.
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Kessyy2k4(m): 5:35pm On Nov 08, 2014
sorry o! i dont av that time 2 read ya garbage, buh....all i can advce is here is.....100 &1 qualified graduate will b willing to accept & b contented wit that jobcheesy so know that u av gat opportunity, don't lerit outgrin
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Nobody: 5:58pm On Nov 08, 2014
Saraha1:

yes sir. But do you mind telling me where we have met?

Im not interested in talking about that anymore since you pissed me off.

What im interested in now is to get your number and toast you.
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by iGeneral: 7:42pm On Nov 08, 2014
Now how does one refrain from insulting this guy?
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 08, 2014
iGeneral:
Now how does one refrain from insulting this guy?

Its simple. Just shift the automatic gear to Reverse then press the throttle and go another way.

Best advice.
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by ssammy: 9:11pm On Nov 08, 2014
This could be a testing time for u, if they see how well u serve and how much u can offer, u could be promoted. Am saying u should be patient and diligent.
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Amhappy(f): 9:33pm On Nov 08, 2014
Cool down bro. Job position is important but will you prefer a big name without value? Do this job diligently and you will be surprised how high you will rise. A good company with a systematic way of doing things is a great place to be. I will rather be a gate keeper in heaven than be a manager in hell. I'm talking from experience.

1 Like

Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by waaju: 12:18pm On Nov 09, 2014
Everything in life is important..
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 09, 2014
Please my people of nairaland, I need your advice on what step to take on this situation.

Please no insults, I just need an advice.
I am an engineer by profession, I worked as a consultant in a company some years back until I got this present job. Truth be told I was happy when I was called for an interview in a much bigger company where I presumed I will make a career. First I remember I submitted my CV to a friend who promised to hook me up with a better job, and sometime this year he called to advice I study for a test but refused to tell me the company n type of test I should prepare for. To cut off the long story, sometime last month, I was called in for an interview for the proposed job, I was elated and took an undermined risk of travelling for the interview. On reaching the office the next day, I was impressed at the company and the level of organisation in the company. I was interviewed, I performed and I was told that I will be briefed when I resume. Waow I already got the job which was what I told myself because of the way I saw how impressed the interviewers looked. Finally I got the job with an offer of below a hundred and forty thousand as gross salary, I later realized that I was employed as an office assistant, me an engineer a formal manager and to grease the elbow, it was stated in my offer letter and I was to serve a dozen of young engineers in my office. I resumed with total equality but realised that I was way below the food chain and the young stars didn't waste time to clear me on that. One of them yesterday even told me I would help him make some deposit at d bank and all that, and even went on to say that it was part of my job description. Now I know I don't have to envy which is non of my business, it's already 14 days into the job and I feel my dignity has been tramped and I may not have a quick rise here. Let me halt here but will share more ordeal I have passed through in this few days if you care.

Please I just need to know what you people think and what you have to advice either for me to get out of this situation or another.

From what you've said,it seems you earning more now than before...which is good.

But i advise you stick to it & with subsequent time,you keep looking at getting your self a more better job,don't relent my brother,i know how you feel,but you know how difficult it is getting a job in Nigeria could be¿
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by lavista13: 2:41pm On Nov 09, 2014
@ op: i think God is taking you somewhere big but he needs you to learn some things first. To be a good leader requires being a good servant. Probably in your former job as a manager you were too full of yourself because u feel that u are an engineer and so most likely too bossy and probably looked down on others below you-( i stand to be corrected though, just saying). So my advice for you is to face the test and learn what God wants you to learn while u are at ur new place which is humility and service. I think these are the qualities u require for the next exalted position God has in store for you. Patience is key.

1 Like

Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by iyknaz(m): 9:14am On Nov 10, 2014
Guy, don't let anybody make u feel u'r Inferior just because u wanna keep a job. Except u were employed as a messanger, no idiot has the right to send u on stupid errands. However, if it was stipulated that running errands is part of ur job description and u went ahead 2 sign, then u probably have urself to blame, otherwise no fool should make u think less of urself just because of a stupid job. If this continiues, I advise u quit. Trust me, ur self esteem is the most valuable thing u'll ever have, dnt let anybody take that away from u.

1 Like

Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 10, 2014
I don't even want to imagine how you feel reading some of the replies on this thread. This i have to say, you can be humble without losing your pride in yourself. You just need to really understand the meaning of that statement. You took the job, so if its too late to go back to your former one, its your cross to bear but you should contact someone there that may be able to help you get it back (swallow your pride and do it if you think you'd rather go back). Call your "friend" that helped you get the job and give him a piece of your mind. If you have to remain in this job, learn to do the job and search endlessly for a better one. This is probably life's lessons in humility. Going through one myself presently. Just try to accept things while working towards better ones. No one can make the right decision for you
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by AdexOmoby(f): 9:44am On Nov 11, 2014
Victorakats:
Here i am frustrated that as an engineer i am still at home watching BBA hotshots without even securing a teaching offer...in lagos
infact i resolved to even volunteer for free only if i can leave my house and gain some experience in the oil and gas industry which is the course i studied

And i read this and for a moment i paused to ask myself if i really want this kind of offer.
To be candid with you dear,i do not compromise my happiness in anything i do.
The reason is because over time an unhappy,unfulfilled heart will degenerate to depression and that will be catastrophic both to yourself and to those around you.

My views may not be the best, as i write i dont even have 1k in my account but i will tell you this, dont remain in any firm where you are abused in the name of job offer.
Money isnt what you should pursue, self development and self improvement should rank topmost.

It maybe crazy but until you step out you wont get a better offer.

Another route to this is to build relationship with some of the staff and seek avenue to be promoted to your desired department.
This second option will mean that you'll have to forget your degree and focus on serving them and expect a favourable outcome in the end.

Sorry for the frustration...
I hope you take it easy on yourself please.
Your life is worth more than any amount any company can offer.
Preserve your life!

I wish I could like you comments more.
You have did it all! Need I say more?
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by SenatorJames(m): 9:11pm On Nov 11, 2014

Thanks friend, you see that's not fair, why will they change a name of a position just to get the best out of it. For instance I was given Technical support coordinator and was not briefed of doing this, I was even asked if I can drive and from my investigation carried out previously I was told the moment they employ an engineer they buy the person a new car. Actually it is true, the engineers all drive brand new cars depending on the year u were employed, u get the model for that year. That's not my business, though in my former job, I was given a car, house n official driver but they had inconsistencies in paying because its an indigenous company so it is not a new thing but the fact that they even noted it on my appointment letter and the manager of my department told me that my job doesn't require it is really discouraging. I believe God sha.
With the way you describe your former job, I don't expect you to quit at that time. I can see some prospect in it. Anyway if you are not happy with your current job, i will advice you try your former place, if they still need your service, If not remain there for a while till you decide better what next to do.
Re: Already Frustrated With My New Job by pretts(f): 12:44pm On Feb 13, 2015
Wao...You just spoke my mind! My case is somewhat similar to yours OP, however, it is different in the sense that at least you are an engineer in an engineering firm with some interest in the core business of the firm. Mine is such that I have tried all I could to be interested in what my firm does for more than 3 years, but the more I try the more unhappy and frustrated I become...so I guess it is time to move on!

I guess you just can't force what you aren't interested in. I'm not sure what I'd advise you to do but one thing I'd say is, be aggressive with your job hunt. Tell everyone you can, including some of those engineers who seem to be reasonable at your current job...you never know who God can use to move you forward.

Smh. Nigerians have got to be the most conceited, sadistic human beings on Earth sha, walahi. One sees how they treat waiters/waitresses, maids, gatemen, subordinates, and anyone they consider 'inferior' or 'less privileged'. . . . it's just a big joke.

God knows I'd slap the audacious ìdiot and walk out on the useless job immediately. If hunger like, make e kill me. I've done something similar during my NYSC primary assignment days. I have 'foolish' pride, and it has helped me so far. I have zero tolerance for rubbish. Life is too short.

I can't advise you to leave the job, since I don't know whether you'll be able to cope without it. However, if to say na me, I for slap that mumu boy (and the company MD sef, if im own too much) and walk out on the damn job. Man go everly survive one way or the other.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

An Urgent Decision On A Job Offer / Entry Level Graduate Recruitment At Etisalat, February 2017 / How Much Does NPC Pays Their Adhoc Staff?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.