Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,872 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses (1135 Views)

Photo: If She Ask What This Is Used For, Cancel The Wedding / Marrying A Virgin, Any Hugs And Kisses During Courtship? / Her Daddy Hugs And Kisses Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by tomietush(m): 10:37pm On Nov 09, 2014
not sure if this should go here. i hope d mods help with it
Why Does "XOXO" Mean "Kisses and Hugs"?Whether you end a letter or e-mail with it—or yourecognize it from the end of each Gossip Girlepisode—“Xoxo” is commonly known to refer to the phrase “Kisses and hugs.” But how did these two inconspicuous letters come to represent that well-known phrase?One possible explanation is that an “X” is a stylized representation of two mouths kissing, while the “O” represents two pairs of arms coming together to complete a hug. This emoticon-inspired account makes sense, but the true explanations are more likely rooted in religious history.Because many people in the Middle Ages could not read or write, they would sign important documents with an “X," which was both a simple mark to make and a reference to the Christian cross. The signee would then kiss the"X" to demonstrate his sincerity and that what was written in the document was true—in much the same way that Christians kissed the Bible to display their belief in Christ. Besides referencingthe actual cross itself, the “X” alluded to the earlyChristian symbol called the Chi-rho—named after combining the first two letters of the Greek word for Christ, ?.Tracing the origin of how the “O” came to represent a hug is more difficult. One possible explanation is that Jewish immigrants, upon arriving in the U.S., used the symbol in place of a signature, similar to the way the "X" was used by Christians. Instead of using an "X," which invoked Christ—a figure that did not align with Jewish beliefs—illiterate Jewish people arrivingin the U.S. would sign documents with an “O.”Combined with the familiar Christian use of an “X” signifying the oath sealed with a kiss, the “O”was likely then adapted to mean hugs as an equal representation in the sincerity of the sentiment on notes, letters, or even e-mails.http://mentalfloss.com/article/31929/why-does-xoxo-mean-kisses-and-hugs
Re: Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by DonaldGenes(m): 10:40pm On Nov 09, 2014
I used to see that Nine out of ten,hardly take cognizant of its meaning plus I think it is mostly done by small girls of Jambite Status...
Real Ladies don't do that $******
Re: Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 09, 2014
XOXO
Re: Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by Nobody: 10:57pm On Nov 09, 2014
grocery:
XOXO
awww.....is that for me?You are so nice
Lemme dash u mine

Tah!!!!!Who u wan deceive?
Re: Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by sparkleboy(m): 11:04pm On Nov 09, 2014
Ok o
Re: Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by Exjoker(m): 11:08pm On Nov 09, 2014
we don hear
Re: Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by Nobody: 11:22pm On Nov 09, 2014
Seen
Re: Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by Nobody: 11:45pm On Nov 09, 2014
NOTED
Re: Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by Nobody: 11:54pm On Nov 09, 2014
edozie04:
awww.....is that for me?You are so nice
Lemme dash u mine

Tah!!!!!Who u wan deceive?

Tah!!!!!!! welu oso.....onye na- enye gi
Re: Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by Nobody: 5:05am On Nov 10, 2014
grocery:

Tah!!!!!!! welu oso.....onye na- enye gi
lols,good morning
Re: Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by Nobody: 5:24am On Nov 10, 2014
She uses xoxo,I don't know the meaning,I ignore
Re: Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 10, 2014
edozie04:
lols,good morning
Good morning
Re: Why Xoxo Is Used For Hugs And Kisses by peterpaulis(m): 9:37am On Nov 10, 2014
undecided... We don hear say.. Op kneel down for prayer.

(1) (Reply)

My Love Story / Possesive Girls Are Evil / 7 Things That Will Make A Man Never Want To Marry You!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.