Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,783 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Air Filter/Flow - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Air Filter/Flow (4159 Views)

Free Oil, Free Oil Filter,free Oil Change, Free Vehicle Scan / Tokz Air Filter / Universal Cone Air Filter Compatibility (K&N or Spectre) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Air Filter/Flow by clemz85(m): 9:11am On Nov 10, 2014
please our NL car Elites come and help, I want to know the function of air flow meter and when its bad like this what could be the effect? I am having a challenge that makes me think of this but lemme check if my guest is right, please good people, any one have the knowledge?

Re: Air Filter/Flow by chillex8(m): 9:20am On Nov 10, 2014
Is that your air filter that decayed like that.
Where rodents living there

Pls, before you even state your car problem, replace that air filter..

It costs #1,500 for a new one.

Cheers
Re: Air Filter/Flow by shamecurls(m): 9:42am On Nov 10, 2014
That Air filter is as good as gone. Please change ASAP....
Re: Air Filter/Flow by AutosBay(m): 9:44am On Nov 10, 2014
@ Op Please follow this link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck5-GHuSApE
Re: Air Filter/Flow by lonelydora: 10:00am On Nov 10, 2014
That is not an air flow meter but an air filter. Change it asap, it's not expensive.
Re: Air Filter/Flow by clemz85(m): 10:35am On Nov 10, 2014
thanks guyz, the thing is that the car is just a year old and it has been doing just fine, I never knew the air filter had decayed that way, i am currently experiencing a challenge which is, the car stalls at interval and does hard starting, so I decided to check what is there, pop it this morning and saw it. could the car stalling be related to that?

of course I am changing it ryt now

thanks again guyz
Re: Air Filter/Flow by clemz85(m): 10:42am On Nov 10, 2014
AutosBay:
@ Op Please follow this link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck5-GHuSApE

thank you brother but I am low on mb to watch it,

pls is there how I can... OK lemme check on Google for the theory. thanks
Re: Air Filter/Flow by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:52am On Nov 10, 2014
lonelydora:
That is not an air flow meter but an air filter. Change it asap, it's not expensive.

he is right its the air flow meter check there is a connection wire on the top of the filter box thats the one that connects to the air flow meter

1 Like

Re: Air Filter/Flow by lonelydora: 1:12pm On Nov 10, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

he is right its the air flow meter check there is a connection wire on the top of the filter box thats the one that connects to the air flow meter
I concur.
Re: Air Filter/Flow by Kashif(m): 8:44am On Nov 11, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

What I am seeing in the picture is the air filter, not the mass air flow meter. The MAF sits between the air filter and the injectors, and are much smaller than the filter.

@OP, MAF sensor could stall your engine, but filter should not.
Re: Air Filter/Flow by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 11, 2014
That's an early Volkswagen engine, in a Golf or Passat. Depending on the type, it may not have an air flow / mass meter.

What year is the car?
Re: Air Filter/Flow by Nobody: 9:00am On Nov 11, 2014
clemz85:
thanks guyz, the thing is that the car is just a year old.

Get it right, bro. You confuse the heck out of people, when you say the car is a year old. Golf II or III can't be a year old.
Re: Air Filter/Flow by Kashif(m): 9:14am On Nov 11, 2014
Siena:

Get it right, bro. You confuse the heck out of people, when you say the car is a year old. Golf II or III can't be a year old.

LOL! He means a year since he purchased the direct tokunbo.

@OP, abeg answer our oga in your best interest o
Re: Air Filter/Flow by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:26pm On Nov 11, 2014
Kashif:

What I am seeing in the picture is the air filter, not the mass air flow meter. The MAF sits between the air filter and the injectors, and are much smaller than the filter.

@OP, MAF sensor could stall your engine, but filter should not.

you are used to few or one type of an engine

the air flow meter is always on the air intake pipes on average soon after the filter

on the picture the flow meter is not there but you can see the wire were it get connected
Re: Air Filter/Flow by clemz85(m): 3:49pm On Nov 11, 2014
Siena:

oh! well twisted, a year old of what we calls direct tokombo, you are right, its 97 car but then some first grade OK cars we buy here serves pretty well a year or two before some issues you know though depending on individual maintenance culture.
Re: Air Filter/Flow by Export1: 5:10pm On Nov 11, 2014
5 Most Common Air Filter Problems:

Black Smoke in Exhaust

If you are seeing black smoke exiting the exhaust pipe, this can be a symptom of a clogged air filter. With the reduced oxygen, the mixture will be too rich. In other words more fuel will be used in the combustion leading to black soot like residue being sent out of the exhaust.

Rough Engine Noise

If the engine sounds like it is missing or running roughly, it can be caused by spark plugs not firing. One cause of this is the spark plugs are not firing due to the head covered with black soot residue left on the spark lead from the rich fuel mixture – which is a result of a dirty or clogged air filter.

Engine Back Firing

If you hear the sound of an explosion or something that sounds like a gunshot coming from the exhaust pipe, this again is caused by the rich fuel mixture and some unused fuel exiting the engine into the exhaust system and then igniting from the heat. You might even see a flame at the end of the exhaust pipe. Again, probably caused by a air filter than needs to be replaced.

Lower Gas Mileage

With the lower oxygen in the mixture, the engine will use more fuel than needed to run the engine. This will cause the mileage per gallon ratio to decrease significantly.

Smell of Gasoline in the Exhaust

When starting the vehicle, if there is a smell of gasoline, this is again caused by the lack of air getting into the carburetor or fuel ejection system. With this reduced quantity of oxygen there will be fuel unneeded for the combustion being blown out in the exhaust.

A simple item that often overlooked in the maintenance of a vehicle is so critical to its performance. Lower gas mileage, burnt parts, and even flames shooting out the rear of the vehicle can all be prevented from occurring. With a routine inspection and replacement of the air filter, you can increase your fuel efficiency and help the car run better and longer.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Honda Accord 2007 EXL - Slight Vibration When Accelerating From Slow Speed. / Nissan Maxima 2003: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (service Engine Soon Light) / Is This Mercedes E350 2007 A Good Buy At That Price?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.