Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,531 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Question On Starting System - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Question On Starting System (4037 Views)

Question On Classic Cars / Honda Crv 2012 Rattle Sound On Starting / Question On Tint Permit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 11:40am On Oct 13, 2019
Hello folks, I’ve been dealing with something that I haven’t seen before and it’s puzzling. I have a few ideas but let’s see.

Vehicle: 1980’s Subaru Libero, 1.2 liter 3 cyl.

Issue: Starter Rolls the engine perfectly when the engine is cold. When the engine is warmed up the starter becomes sluggish. Doesn’t spin at enough revolution to start the engine.

Recent Work: My mechanic changed the rings and afterwards the issue started.

Tests: When left to cool the engine starts, issue is the same with another known good battery.

Thoughts: I’m thinking the rings are too tight BUT if so why the intermittent cold/hot starts?

I thank you in advance for all intelligent and on topic responses.
Re: Question On Starting System by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 13, 2019
It will get better with use. Those things are known to negatively impact the starter
Re: Question On Starting System by Mrford(m): 12:37pm On Oct 13, 2019
The piston rings are tight,. Remember Metals expand when hot. So when the engine gets hot, the rings expands making it difficult for the starter to turn the engine. Then when it gets cold it contrasts.

To confirm further, you can manually turn the engine when cold and compare when hot.

My thought.

1 Like

Re: Question On Starting System by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:42pm On Oct 13, 2019
EgunMogaji2:
Hello folks, I’ve been dealing with something that I haven’t seen before and it’s puzzling. I have a few ideas but let’s see.

Issue: Starter Rolls the engine perfectly when the engine is cold. When the engine is warmed up the starter becomes sluggish. Doesn’t spin at enough revolution to start the engine.

Tests: When left to cool the engine starts, issue is the same with another known good battery.

Thoughts: I’m thinking the rings are too tight BUT if so why the intermittent cold/hot starts?

1. Expansion of piston rings that are too tight .

2. The starter motor failure

Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 1:29pm On Oct 13, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

1. Expansion of piston rings that are too tight .

2. The starter motor failure

1) Will it get better with use? If so I’ll drive the sucker back and forth between Ijebu Ode and Ibadan.

2) I couldn’t find a replacement new starter as it’s such an odd ball car. I’ve spent a small fortune having it “rebuilt” by various rewires.
Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 1:30pm On Oct 13, 2019
Mrford:
The piston rings are tight,. Remember Metals expand when hot. So when the engine gets hot, the rings expands making it difficult for the starter to turn the engine. Then when it gets cold it contrasts.

To confirm further, you can manually turn the engine when cold and compare when hot.

My thought.

Okay thanks.
Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 1:31pm On Oct 13, 2019
Smartchoiice:
It will get better with use. Those things are known to negatively impact the starter

My confusion is that the starter works flawlessly when engine is cold.
Re: Question On Starting System by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 13, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

My confusion is that the starter works flawlessly when engine is cold.
Change the starter sir if he problem gets worse. I learnt from my kazeems that a newly ringed engine tends to operate at a much higher temperatures which impacts on a component of the Kickstarter.. hence the hardstarting when hot...

1 Like

Re: Question On Starting System by uboma(m): 1:46pm On Oct 13, 2019

Please oblige us with pictures of this rare beauty.
Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 1:55pm On Oct 13, 2019
Smartchoiice:

Change the starter sir if he problem gets worse. I learnt from my kazeems that a newly ringed engine tends to operate at a much higher temperatures which impacts on a component of the Kickstarter.. hence the hardstarting when hot...

Okay I’ll renew efforts on that.

My issue is that all my sources are in the USA but this car was never sold there. And I have no one in Europe/Asia where it was sold embarassed
Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 1:58pm On Oct 13, 2019
uboma:

It’s a simple Japanese microvan but with 4WD for my farm.

Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 2:08pm On Oct 13, 2019
uboma:

Not mine but shows specs and potential value.

Classics gets no respect in Nigeria. Good for me because I’ve been snapping them up cool

Re: Question On Starting System by uboma(m): 3:31pm On Oct 13, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

It’s a simple Japanese microvan but with 4WD for my farm.

Looks like it still got some good life in it. The older it is, the harder it may be to get spare parts to replace the ones that have worn out.

1 Like

Re: Question On Starting System by radautoworks: 3:39pm On Oct 13, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Was this happening before the rings were changed and have you checked the oil pressure?

1 Like

Re: Question On Starting System by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:38pm On Oct 13, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

I went back in time in my head, and have u checked the timing marks? Also is it the distributor with a hammer?

1 Like

Re: Question On Starting System by sultaan(m): 4:49pm On Oct 13, 2019
Mrford:

My thought.

X2 on the recommendation

1 Like

Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 5:17pm On Oct 13, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

I went back in time in my head, and have u checked the timing marks? Also is it the distributor with a hammer?

I’ve thought about that but godamn blighters stole my timing gun at the ports.

I’m trying to rig up a timing light.

Remember though that the engine fires on the very first click when cold angry

Thanks.
Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 5:19pm On Oct 13, 2019
radautoworks:

Was this happening before the rings were changed and have you checked the oil pressure?

The starter was fine before then though it was leaking oil and burning what wasn’t leaking in the cylinders grin

God I miss the damn USA right now. I’m now realizing the worth of a machine shop.

1 Like

Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 5:22pm On Oct 13, 2019
uboma:

Looks like it still got some good life in it. The older it is, the harder it may be to get spare parts to replace the ones that have worn out.

Yep. I’m running a Peugeot carburator that I worked in.

I belong to an online forum for the car and our favorite pastime is discussing what modern part from another vehicle fits our dinosaurs.

I’ve been measuring shock absorbers from Micras, I think they’ll fit.

2 Likes

Re: Question On Starting System by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:29pm On Oct 13, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

I’ve thought about that but godamn blighters stole my timing gun at the ports.

I’m trying to rig up a timing light.

Remember though that the engine fires on the very first click when cold angry

Thanks.

555 IC and irf740 are the main ingredients to the stew.
Re: Question On Starting System by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:30pm On Oct 13, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

I belong to an online forum for the car and our favorite pastime is discussing what modern part from another vehicle fits our dinosaurs.

no Monroe? grin

1 Like

Re: Question On Starting System by uboma(m): 6:38pm On Oct 13, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Hahahahahaha. With your experience in automobiles, I am sure that you will always find your way around when the spare parts you seek are no longer available or scarce to find.

1 Like

Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 6:44pm On Oct 13, 2019
uboma:

Hahahahahaha. With your experience in automobiles, I am sure that you will always find your way around when the spare parts you seek are no longer available or scarce to find.

Oh yeah I’m undaunted.

But I will have to be brutally honest here. At least in Ibadan I feel like I stepped back 30 years in time in terms of auto parts and accessories.

We’re seriously lacking.

5 Likes

Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 6:45pm On Oct 13, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

no Monroe? grin

I wish but not available for something this old and obscure.

This is why cars like Austin Mini and VW Beetle will always be on the road because the enjoy a tremendous aftermarket support.

2 Likes

Re: Question On Starting System by uboma(m): 6:49pm On Oct 13, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Oh yeah I’m undaunted.

But I will have to be brutally honest here. At least in Ibadan I feel like I stepped back 30 years in time in terms of auto parts and accessories.

We’re seriously lacking.

Welcome to Nigeria. We still have a long long way to go. Despite the gap though, we still find our way out. You will survive even when you do not get the specs of spare parts.
Re: Question On Starting System by radautoworks: 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2019
Someone in this thread desperately needs attention and is trying to get it by goading me. Some really childish ish IMO.
Re: Question On Starting System by Demeanor: 7:31pm On Oct 13, 2019
Somone is feeling important, contribute technically or stfu

4 Likes

Re: Question On Starting System by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 13, 2019
Demeanor:
Somone is feeling important, contribute technically or stfu
Uche don't derail this thread
Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 6:30am On Oct 15, 2019
Someone’s collection in Spain grin

I found a new starter in U.K. Now to get it down here.

2 Likes

Re: Question On Starting System by Eddee(m): 12:03pm On Oct 15, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

If it was the USA, then myus.com is what I use to order my video games

1 Like

Re: Question On Starting System by Ikenna351(m): 2:45pm On Oct 15, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

About 2 years ago, My Peugeot 505 V6 Stick-Shift started given same symptom (draggy engine crank on hot engine and non crank at all sometimes at same high engine temperature). I knew from the beginning the issue was the starter. Gave it out for it to be repaired and they made it worse. I parked the lion and commenced search for a good used one in Nigeria and didn't even find a bad one, since the V6 starter is different from the X engine series used in Nigerian assembled Peugeot 505s that are very much available in Nigeria parts markets. Early this year, I cut off Nigeria from the search and found it in USA. I ordered new Remy starter (Remanufactured) for the lion from RockAuto in USA and was delivered to me in Abuja at cost of about N67,000, including custom levy. Ever since I mounted the new starter, the engine crank speed has been very fast and sweet to listen to, no matter the engine temperature or no matter how long engine runs. One of the best choices I ever made to buy the Remy brand.

Now, I have across some posts on Nairaland where people were condemning "ALL" Remanufactured Vehicle parts. All I can tell you is, You know Not What You Are Talking About.

Only a hardcore Petrolhead/enthusiast understands what it takes to keep a classic vehicle on the road and in good condition. They are not for everyone.

Ikenna351 - Monk.

1 Like

Re: Question On Starting System by EgunMogaji2: 6:21pm On Oct 15, 2019
Ikenna351:

About 2 years ago, My Peugeot 505 V6 Stick-Shift started given same symptom (draggy engine crank on hot engine and non crank at all sometimes at same high engine temperature). I knew from the beginning the issue was the starter. Gave it out for it to be repaired and they made it worse. I parked the lion and commenced search for a good used one in Nigeria and didn't even find a bad one, since the V6 starter is different from the X engine series used in Nigerian assembled Peugeot 505s that are very much available in Nigeria parts markets. Early this year, I cut off Nigeria from the search and found it in USA. I ordered new Remy starter (Remanufactured) for the lion from RockAuto in USA and was delivered to me in Abuja at cost of about N67,000, including custom levy. Ever since I mounted the new starter, the engine crank speed has been very fast and sweet to listen to, no matter the engine temperature or no matter how long engine runs. One of the best choices I ever made to buy the Remy brand.

Now, I have across some posts on Nairaland where people were condemning "ALL" Remanufactured Vehicle parts. All I can tell you is, You know Not What You Are Talking About.

Only a hardcore Petrolhead/enthusiast understands what it takes to keep a classic vehicle on the road and in good condition. They are not for everyone.

Ikenna351 - Monk.

I agree and I use a lot of remanufactured in the USA. Actually most shops do unless the customer specifically requests otherwise.

I found one in the U.K. and just need to get it down here.

Part of the issue is I’m used to the USA system but this vehicle was never sold in the USA so no support there.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently / What Are The Top 10 Fuel Efficient Cars In Nigeria? / What Year Is This Peugeot 406

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.