Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,781 members, 7,817,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership (16502 Views)

Poll: Do you support this decision?

Yes: 44% (51 votes)
No: 55% (63 votes)
This poll has ended

TB Joshua Predict That English Premiership Side Chelsea Will Champions League / Dstv Regains Lucrative English Premiership Rights In $100m Deal / Arsenal Will Win D English Premiership This Season Coming 4rm Prophet T.b Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by lukkie(m): 10:41pm On Aug 07, 2006
i've read the ThisDay story and i agree with the govt 100%. the reason businesses (broadcasting inclusive) have not been working well in this counry is cos the govt had been handling them badly. now that they're becoming responsible, lets support them. lets bear with the inconvenience and support the govt. nigerian companies can do what Dstv is doing perfectly well. if we're using capitalism, then it has to be fair. there should be NO MONOPOLY whatsoever. Dstv's price has been outrageous and uncontrollable simply cos of the monopoly. we've been feeding the south africans while impoverishing nigerian businesses.
i dont care about the legal bull****. the bottom line is that the business of broadcasting the premiership should be open to both foreign and local companies.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by MP007(m): 12:32am On Aug 08, 2006
Why are u guyz in shock / dont you know that most nigerian leaders are kolomentalist, they just wanna abuse power, am sure the minister got into a fue with a company or someone, this is just pure madness, come to think of it oo, new disk networks will now spring on in nigeria>.owned by who, ? i guess you already know , nigeria!!!
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by vokalguy(m): 12:33am On Aug 08, 2006
haha looks like ur weekends would be a lil bit boring but that was not a good move by d fg
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by crito(m): 1:03am On Aug 08, 2006
na wa ohhhhh.pls someone shld act b4 its too late.
i must watch premiership ohhhhh. angry angry angry
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 1:20am On Aug 08, 2006
thanks shinor for the explanation, i think i understand a bit of what is happening

u mentioned that DSTV bought the right to broadcast everything, that means it was up for sales wasnt it? why didnt the nigerian companies buy the right to broadcast ?

BY the way i think this is good for competition but why did it take them so long? and what were they doing when the rights were offered for sale?
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by slimnike(m): 2:03am On Aug 08, 2006
Most this Government keep on offending their citezens?What most of the Youth use in whilling away time,They are taking it away from Them.Who knows the crime This Their decision will bring to our society.?Too bad My beloved Premiership is gone.Somebody should do something fast.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 2:10am On Aug 08, 2006
i have a satellite dish for sale grin

the Engineers in nigeria are hot so they should be able to do something with it, and you will soon be the only person able to broadcast live football in nigeria grin
£1000 + £200 delivery charge
grin grin grin

Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by osteen(m): 8:44am On Aug 08, 2006
omo dis govt don kill man. No Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U wetin remain make dem just ban importation of TV nw grin
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by theORAKU(m): 8:55am On Aug 08, 2006
thisday online wrote:

", A Ministry of Information official told THISDAY weekend that the message to owners of all the affected channels was that “henceforth, it is no longer acceptable that a foreign company would buy the exclusive rights to broadcast the league in Nigeria when there are Nigerian companies operating in that sector, ”

This makes perfect sense!
Kudos to the FG for been able to take that BIG step.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by wormedup(m): 9:38am On Aug 08, 2006
LoverBwoy:

u mentioned that DSTV bought the right to broadcast everything, that means it was up for sales wasnt it? why didnt the nigerian companies buy the right to broadcast ?

BY the way i think this is good for competition but why did it take them so long? and what were they doing when the rights were offered for sale?

thank a lot bro.

Frank was happy watching DSTV all these while and it never occured to him that they were monopolizing.
he just came of age.
by the way, what has banning DSTV got to do with the progress of other competitors ?
why don't they just go and bid for the rights, come back and we'll decide if to patronise them or not.

there are better ways to do things and not making everybody look like a fool.
if DSTV has so much erred, then FG should just ban the entire outfit instead of implanting restrictions.
the whole lot of them still have DSTV multi views installed in their houses.
abeg, we should act right.
Mr. Biggs started off solo, nobody had to place restrictions on them for the competitors to come up. but look what's happening now, they are now substitute to almost everybody.

all i'm saying is, there are better ways to make things work.
it's about time we stopped believing that the masses have to suffer every time for things to be right.
we have outstanding sufferings we are still waiting for the better days.

cheers.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Shinor(m): 10:02am On Aug 08, 2006
This is sure taking an interesting turn. I emailed a copy of the story from Yesterday's edition of THISDAY to the company who sold the rights to Super Sports. The first response they have sent me is that it is IMPOSSIBLE TO BAN DSTV FROM SHOWING THE PREMIERSHIP IN NIGERIA. As with most things of this nature, it has now gone to their legal dept and my contact there has promised to keep me posted.
They had not even heard anything to the effect until they got a copy of the story from THISDAY.

Let's wait and see.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by amodu(m): 10:54am On Aug 08, 2006
@ Shinor please keep us updated.

I wonder where we are going to watch it.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by enolase(m): 1:30pm On Aug 08, 2006
The FG has no right to interfere in a market that was de regulated in 1992.

Where were we Nigerians when the South Afrcians came here, set up DSTV and started making money from it? IS it that in a country of more than 100 million Nigerians, no one had the IQ to start a DSTV company?

Chief Udemba of CTL has now come up with his Trend TV which ius still no match with M-Net.

If we are good enough, then let us come up with something that can match M-Net's DSTV. If a product is as good as or even better than another one, market forces will come to play and prices will be forced down, while maintaining good services; all to the benefit of the public.

I think Frank Nweke and his people should really go back and study the principle of demand and supply in a deregulated economy.

It is a shame that those who should know are coming up with such outrageous decisions. angry
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by otokx(m): 2:12pm On Aug 08, 2006
a lot of nigerians are so naive and that is why we suffer the way we do.

The crux of the matter is that DSTV got rights which prevent other DTH stations in Nigeria from providing competition. In recent past there were no players but for about some years now things have changed. If the content providers are not willing to provide such rights to other companies in Nigeria then the FG in exercising its sovereign rights will and can send DSTV packing. Its not a hard thing. They have many agencies who can do it.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by youngies(m): 2:13pm On Aug 08, 2006
It is a bitter pill to swallow, and like most bitter pills it cures the illness one time. EPL is not too a big lamb to sacrifice for our economy to grow.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by wormedup(m): 2:30pm On Aug 08, 2006
so while FG is exercising it sovereignty over DSTV, what should we live with ? darkness.

how does the FG intend to get the rights to air if not from the source. and the soruces are not looking ready to give up their deal with DSTV ?
probably FG just wants to cut DSTV's wings and leae a null for us to live with.
like i said there are better ways.
if getting a new car is not so realistic would u give up joining the molue just to suffer urself to get the car ? in the name of what ? self denial ? i don't think so.
a bird at hand is worth 20,000 on the roof top.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Omoboy(m): 3:46pm On Aug 08, 2006
If this is true it is good news Nigerians should stary watching our local league what do you guys think.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by twinstaiye(m): 4:28pm On Aug 08, 2006
I dont think the story is that DSTV cannot show Premiership in Nigeria, the new rules probably means that any DTH can also have right to show English premiership, CNN etc in Nigeria. Their monopoly to have exclusive right to show it in Nigeria is broken, and any DTH companies can also have right to show it. With the look of things, MYTV, Cable TVs AIT can start showing it if they can buy the right from any other satellite stations showing them. For instance, at 27.5W, if you position your Free Dish to that angle, you can catch a DTH operator showing supersport 3. The reality is that if any smart DTH in Nigeria can arrange with such DTH, they can have exclusive right to show it in Nigeria. I want to believe that is all it means.
I support the FG decisions, the moment my 4,300 cannot made me to watch the last edition of world cup on the Multichoic DSTV, I know they are really exploiting us, I want to believe i have been correct to have discard their dish and stop being expoited. Good riddance for bad rubbish.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 08, 2006
f*** them, what kinda crap is that?, what do they xpect us 2 watch?, eyimba or rangers?
Screw this
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by 2kurupt(m): 5:42pm On Aug 08, 2006
C'mon guys! everyone loves the premiership. But lets not be penny wise and pound foolish. Our watchin' the game and other exclusive programs is strengthenin DSTV's monopoly while our own indeginous companies suffer. By so doing jobs are lost, businesses folded and the economy suffers while these foreigners smile to the banks.
This new policy might only make us miss a few games but in the end we wont have to pay nine thousand per month cause it will be more affordable to all with more Direct-To-Home companies.
Guys lets read between the lines, its for our own good.
READ THE THISDAY ARTICLE: http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=55131 wink
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by superstar1(m): 6:27pm On Aug 08, 2006
wELL I'M IN FULL SUPPORT OF THE fG THOSE sOUTH aFRICANS ARE TRYNG TO EXTEND THERE OWN VERSION OF COLONIALISN TO aFRICA, N nIGERIA IS BIGGER THEN ANY COUNTRY IN aFRICA wOT THEY CANNOT AFFORD TO DO IN THERE COUNTRY THEY USUALLY TRY IT OUT COZ THEY VE SEEN US AS MUMU HAVING THE RIGHT IS NOT THE PROBL;EM BUT LET OTHERS HAVE ACCESS TO THE SO CALLED JUICY STATIONS TOO.SELAH
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by SirKay3(m): 8:28pm On Aug 08, 2006
So, who is to be blamed.

This should be resolved ASAP o. Agreed they charge too much and have monopolised the whole thing, but something should have been done for long. Multichoice is being partnered in Nigeria through a Nigerian and they have been around for about 10years now.

Abeg o, they should help us out o, cos I've just paid my subscription fee to enable me stay hooked as the Premiership starts in a week's time
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 8:42pm On Aug 08, 2006
lol the Fg have done something they should have done years ago, good !
However they dont have plan B, those nigerian companies that pressuredt he Fg to do its job should now come out and do something for the population

this is half baked. . . now they have "destroyed the monopoly" what next

I think the problem is not even with DSTV but with EPL licensing department, so instead of the FG to deal directly with the EPL management they chickened out to face DSTV grin

to me its like

EPL: we have for sale exclusive right to broadcast EPL in region 8 (which includes nigeria)
nigeria companies: im busy trying to sought out nepa i dnt have money for epl, i will get it cheap from whoever buys it grin
DSTV: went to the banks got some cash. we'll can control this shizzle for ages!!
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by stanech: 9:31pm On Aug 08, 2006
How we go watch those premier league matches now sad
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by mustafar1: 7:33am On Aug 09, 2006
the same way the US govt banned virgin nigeria from flying direct into newyork's JFK airport in order to protect its local airlines that want to fly the same route thats the same way the FG has decided to ban DSTV to protect FSTV and other local players in that sector.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by otokx(m): 9:30am On Aug 09, 2006
most of us in port harcourt watch the english premiership through such cable tv providers as CTL and CMTV.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Christino(m): 9:56am On Aug 09, 2006
Oh well, now I change my mind, take back my words.

I'm auctioning my DSTV dual decoder and dish (without the remote sha, its somewhere in between the chairs or under the rug)
Starting price N30,000. The highest bidder wins, and I have subscription for 3 months already, thats about 24,000 in your pocket.

Holla @ me.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by MP007(m): 2:40pm On Aug 09, 2006
vodal guy, the fg shit aint gonna stop me oo. dey tx like you naw, espn dey there oooo
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by MP007(m): 2:45pm On Aug 09, 2006
omo come to think of it ooo. dem wanna make u folks in nigeria watch the local league naw, make un a dey watch enyima , lobi stars ,, shocked,etc , haha kolomentalizm at its peak, niaja govt don craze big time, come to think of it oo, the stupid man that made the decision get disk for house ooo, shuo!!
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by palabest: 4:13pm On Aug 09, 2006
It is not about sentiments.
Monopoly is not good for any economy.
Problem of monopoly: You are left with no other choice, prices rise all the time, customer service is near zero and on and on.
I had ealier decided before this breaking news that come october when my subscrition expires I was not going to renew it because these guys were begining to see us as people they can milk as much as possible.
Believe it or not breaking this monopoly is a very positive thing for Nigerian.
Just watch in the next few years how the common man will begin to be able to afford satelite TV.
Remember the days when MTN (same SA) was telling us that billing per second was not possible. Overnight they changed when they saw Glo taking over the market after introdiucing per second billing.
If they dont like the new deal let them ship out. I dont see them doing that anyway cos the Nigeria market is too lucrative to abandone.
I see good things happening in this country.
Just keep faith.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 5:22pm On Aug 09, 2006
well they will probably ban satellite TV to please the national station because they cant broadcast to other lucrative countries at the moment.

Imagine NTA and AIT using Euronews,BBC and other international station to show neighbouring countries BENIN,TOGO and congo
they even had a[b] celebration [/b] for broadcasting live from liberia during the inauguration shocked
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Seye(m): 9:19am On Aug 10, 2006
When the Fed Govt way back then banned the importation of Fruit juice, what happened after was that several local investors took up the opportunity to set up the production of the same locally, and the result is what we all can afford now for just N200. Then imported "5 Alive" was going for N450. Trust Nigerian biz men, they are only watching, once the coast is clear , you'll witness the rush to set up DTH companies and the subscription will be very cheap. Then DSTV can go to Hell if they so wish, enough of second slavery.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Norwich Vs Liverpool (0 - 3) On August 14 2021 / Galatasaray Vs Real Madrid : UCL (1 - 6) On 17th September 2013 / EPL: De Gea Signs New Contract With Manchester United

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.