Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership (16518 Views)

Poll: Do you support this decision?

Yes: 44% (51 votes)
No: 55% (63 votes)
This poll has ended

TB Joshua Predict That English Premiership Side Chelsea Will Champions League / Dstv Regains Lucrative English Premiership Rights In $100m Deal / Arsenal Will Win D English Premiership This Season Coming 4rm Prophet T.b Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by alheri(f): 9:33am On Aug 10, 2006
Its not like they cant show the premiership at all ever again. They still have the right to re-apply for the license to air it, but not have "sole" rights. Just like twinstaiye said.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Bazuzu(m): 4:05pm On Aug 10, 2006
i wonder what you all are talking about?

the BIGGEST telecom company in Nigeria is South African

the BIGGEST Satellite TV Entertainment Provider in Nigeria is South African

did you know that MTN makes more money in Nigeria than any other country?

IMAGINE that !!!!!!!!

do you know how many Nigerians Buy the DSTV because of the EPL?

do you know how many viewing centres are in Lagos alone because of the EPL?

do you know how much this will amount to at the end of each fiscal year for Multichoice?

i think they are ripping off Nigerians whom the whole world knows, are stupid and just purchase goods and services once they have little change and do not think of cost and long term issues.

when the GSM madness started,it was almost funny to see the way people bought phones they did not know how to use and could barely afford airtime.(most still cant)

Nigerians CANNOT see this Nigerian weakness but the foreigners can and that is why the South Africans are ripping us the hell off with Multichoice and MTN !

Nigeria is the BIGGEST country in Africa and we have Nigerian Stations that can beam the EPL to us with satisfaction.

By the way,how many of you guys know that Supersport obtain rights and beam the EPL from SKY ?
so it's like they are selling Nigerians 2nd hand viewing.that SUCKS !!!!

Why do we have private stations if not for them to be on Cable and Satellite and beam Nigeria to the world AND have SOLE RESPONSIBILTY of taking care of the Nigerian viewing public.

LET NIGERIAN STATIONS: NTA,STV,AIT,MBI,OGTV,GALAXY,ABC,XYZ,BVCXZASQWQZXBTV,(Who CARES ?!?!?!) show the EPL to NIGERIANS and let DSTV and Multichoice rule in SOWETO

we are tired of the DSTV monopoly
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 4:15pm On Aug 10, 2006
i think they are ripping off Nigerians whom the whole world knows, are stupid and just purchase goods and services once they have little change and do not think of cost and long term issues.

after lmao  grin i will say u don't say shyte about my country IM THE ONLY ONE THATS ALLOWED TO CRITICISE MY COUNTRY!!!  angry

after reading your post , you yourself can ask
WHY DIDNT THEY BUY THE BLOODY RIGHT TO BROADCAST

my feeling is
By the way,how many of you guys know that Supersport obtain rights and beam the EPL from SKY ?
so it's like they are selling Nigerians 2nd hand viewing.that SUCKS !!!!

they were bloody waiting for da cheap stuff !!

LET NIGERIAN STATIONS: NTA,STV,AIT,MBI,OGTV,GALAXY,ABC,XYZ,BVCXZASQWQZXBTV,(Who CARES ?!?!?!) show the EPL to NIGERIANS and let DSTV and Multichoice rule in SOWETO

NO, let the company that have done the reasearch, taken the risk, loaned money to PURCHASE THE RIGHT TO BROADCAST show the EPL!
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 4:24pm On Aug 10, 2006
If there is a football match
The referee decides to throw the ball at my feet during a dead ball situation all the time
I will take a pop at goal, if I score my luck cheesy
what were the defenders doing when the referee was tossing the ball?

me: DSTV
referee: EPL
defenders: Nigerian stations

sorry people I'm buzzing cool
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Bazuzu(m): 4:39pm On Aug 10, 2006
LoverBwoy:

after lmao  grin i will say u don't say shyte about my country IM THE ONLY ONE THATS ALLOWED TO CRITICISE MY COUNTRY!!!  angry

First of all i want to tell you that i am a FULL BLOODED NIGERIAN from EKITI STATE,
IKOLE EKITI to be precise and i was BORN and RAISED in NIGERIA,so dont call Nigeria your country cos we all got claims to it.and i think i have the right to talk about OUR country not YOUR country as you put it

by the way,no be CONGO u dey?? well,i'll let that go,

i think i agree with everything u said (apart from the "country" faux pas) and i think who the cap fits should "AIR" it

but let them be banned for starters,then when Nigerian TV stations are on the scene,they can come and compete

if they are left on now, they will have an unfair headstart on the market !
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by amodu(m): 4:44pm On Aug 10, 2006
So Shinor and the rest of the forum what is the latest on this issue?
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by justme3(m): 7:14pm On Aug 10, 2006
this is the biggest joke i ve heard this year i implore multichoice to go on broadcasting cos its a private company and subscribers are paying for it
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 1:58am On Aug 11, 2006
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by blablabla(m): 8:26pm On Aug 11, 2006
the ban I must confess came very very very late, DSTV's unholy monopoly should have being broken light years ago, and to think that anysane person will lump the greatest country in Africa (Nigeria) with all those smaller than Lagos countries in Africa and sell some franchise to one capitalist is insulting to say the least.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Christino(m): 11:08pm On Aug 11, 2006
WHo's this guy that's clamouring for AIT, GAlaxy and stuffs, these guys had to close down because they couldn't afford to pay their BON dues at a time. No Nigerian station was able to come up with the 2 million naira TV right for the Globacom Premier League let alone the multi million pound EPL.

Let's see what happens, hope there is Thuraya satellite so we can tune to the stadium DIRECTLY cos as it is, these stations might as well be forced to pay DSTV in order to view the matches or else, Nigerians may be deprived of quality entertainment this season.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by debosky(m): 11:18pm On Aug 11, 2006
dude we aren't saying give it to AIT and co, there are other cable tv providers in naija who can't get into the market cuzz of multichoice's monopoly

there's trend tv, and a few others who have tried to bring down costs for the viewers and have good services, but if you don't have epl or cnn, almost noone will patronise you

the reason some of those stations u said are broke is cuzz all the ad revenue they could make is monopolised. naija is too big a country to be lumped together with togo, benin and cape verde in licensing.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Christino(m): 12:14am On Aug 12, 2006
Debo,
Agree with me that charity begins at home. Super sports covers the SA Premier league and even have a team. The so-called satellite stations should start by covering naija league and let's see how far they will go like Glo who have been tirelessly sponsoring the league as well as Enyimba.

MTN, unlive Vodacom, took the risk to invent in telecoms and they made it live, vodacom are now looking for ways to come in - stupid thinking. Where were the other stations when these guys were bidding for this right? Besides Monopoly makes it easy to monitor pirates.

No body wants to see whats up with the Nigerian League, and with what the Fed Govt has shown, they are also likely to be uninterested in Nigerian football. Even the little attention given to the local league will diminish as a result of this development. Watch it.

They should address pressing issues first. Develop our football. If our football was so good, we wouldnt be clamouring for European football AT ALL COST. Check out the NFA league, seats are over empty, but check out VIEWING centres for the EPL, filled up and lively. That's we for u. we.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by inspiredm(m): 12:36am On Aug 12, 2006
i absolutely agree with FG on the ban placed on DSTV, there south africans guys are ripping us off, i learnt it costs almost $ 75 per month to stay connected to DSTV, thats absloute marginalisation which i believe is not practicable in South Africa their country. they have so much monopolised the sector that no other Disital Satellite Company has access to Super Sports, etc, the ban now will give all the competitors a level headed ground to dispaly versatility and flexibity and would also afford the common man access to Digital Television, I support the FG's ban.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Christino(m): 1:08am On Aug 12, 2006
@inspired.
What's so special on DSTV?
It's like you've not been around for a while. I've been in touch with national geographic since the days of NTA2 channel 5, now I can compare sound city to channel O, there's hardly anything on DSTV that the local stations can't match, just name it, or at worst, that Kennis Music won't cover that show, be it Oscars or Grammys or MTVs what have you. THe major substance that's slacking or lacking, to me, is the EPL.

I hope I'm right. THe FG is not banning DSTV, but the EPL on DSTV. They know the koko, and that's just it, so don't think the common man will still be able to afford 8k a month when he earns about 5k a month. Wake up from your slumber, we need more than that, there's hunger and strife and someone is only thinking of EPL out of 1 million things worrying us.
What about call tarriffs, what about Light? They are all mad.

Do you know that many Nigerians don't give a hoot about the EPL? who cares? and the government, insensitive to the pressing needs of its citizens is facing DsTv. Many EPL obsessed guys have "runsed" cables in their homes watching DSTV for free. Most people paying for it are the rich and the government guyz themselves, I don't see someone who has to buy fuel in his smoky generator coughing out that much. If they knew how to runs the cables, they wouldn't be banning EPL on DSTV just to make you happy and lie to you that its for the benefit of our TV stations. Is that all about Naija life on TV?
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by amodu(m): 11:56am On Aug 12, 2006
So we wont be able to watch the Community Shield tomorrow.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by sil(m): 12:51pm On Aug 12, 2006
shocked sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad shocked
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 6:25pm On Aug 12, 2006
amodu:

So we wont be able to watch the Community Shield tomorrow.

i bet nweke jnr will be watching it comfortably grin grin
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by SirKay3(m): 7:23pm On Aug 12, 2006
Latest please
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Hugoboi(m): 7:30pm On Aug 12, 2006
WHAT!!!!!!!!!
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by ThisDumebi: 8:03pm On Aug 12, 2006
I dont understand the nittygritty of this development. All i ask is whether Nweke has 'unbanned' an alternative.Arsenal are  taking the premiership this season for everyone's information.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by amodu(m): 7:15am On Aug 13, 2006
Today is the day for the match we have been waiting for, i am confuse may is going to be shown or not
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by SirKay3(m): 4:06pm On Aug 13, 2006
The match is being shown, not on SS3 as usual but SS8, which is for portuguese subscribers, but deliberately left unscrambled.

SS3 is showing Nigeria Premier League match between Dolphin FC and El Kanemi Warriors.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by wormedup(m): 8:58am On Aug 14, 2006
Christino:

@inspired.
It's like you've not been around for a while. I've been in touch with national geographic since the days of NTA2 channel 5, now I can compare sound city to channel O, there's hardly anything on DSTV that the local stations can't match, just name it, or at worst, that Kennis Music won't cover that show, be it Oscars or Grammys or MTVs what have you. THe major substance that's slacking or lacking, to me, is the EPL.

I hope I'm right. THe FG is not banning DSTV, but the EPL on DSTV. They know the koko, and that's just it, so don't think the common man will still be able to afford 8k a month when he earns about 5k a month. Wake up from your slumber, we need more than that, there's hunger and strife and someone is only thinking of EPL out of 1 million things worrying us.

Do you know that many Nigerians don't give a hoot about the EPL? who cares? and the government, insensitive to the pressing needs of its citizens is facing DsTv. Many EPL obsessed guys have "runsed" cables in their homes watching DSTV for free. Most people paying for it are the rich and the government guys themselves, I don't see someone who has to buy fuel in his smoky generator coughing out that much. If they knew how to runs the cables, they wouldn't be banning EPL on DSTV just to make you happy and lie to you that its for the benefit of our TV stations. Is that all about Naija life on TV?

my guy thanks a lot. there's no more way to hit the nail on the head better.
FG ban my A$$ !
trust government to always chicken out on issues.
lagos state gov said they want to check the crime rate in the state and the best option they came out with was to put a curfew on commercial motorbikes. haha ! very funny .
there are more than enough policemen in lagos.
u have 10 check points or more in residential areas ! meanwhile at crime prone scenes u don't see any policeman.
it's about time some people started using their senses.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by lordimpaq(m): 9:09am On Aug 14, 2006
Christino:

@inspired.

Do you know that many Nigerians don't give a hoot about the EPL? who cares? and the government, insensitive to the pressing needs of its citizens is facing DsTv. Many EPL obsessed guys have "runsed" cables in their homes watching DSTV for free. Most people paying for it are the rich and the government guys themselves, I don't see someone who has to buy fuel in his smoky generator coughing out that much. If they knew how to runs the cables, they wouldn't be banning EPL on DSTV just to make you happy and lie to you that its for the benefit of our TV stations. Is that all about Naija life on TV?

let me tell u something, the other television companies have failed to do what they were supposed to do, supersports got exclusive rights to the EPL in Africa, if we are the giant of africa wat stops other Cable companies from getting the exclusive rights first, now they don't have the rights and they're making noise, because their bouquet of channels lacks the premiership which almost everyone in nigeria loves watching,

point of correction, there is a big difference between DSTV and Nigerian TV, true channel O can be matched to soundcity, but sound city cannot be matched with MTV base,
you talk of National Geographic but you refuse to mention the History Channel, Discovery Channel and Animal planet,

when you talk DSTV you talk of quality entainment, not boring stuff, i've actually sat down on a saturday afternoon to watch nigerian TV and it was so boring, there is nothing to watch, the movies are whacked,

are u tryin to tell me that, Frank Nweke jnr does not watch premiership, he'll probably be regreting his action, there are many ppl that love the premiership,
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Christino(m): 9:48am On Aug 14, 2006
Well said Impaq,
But you'll agree with me that the major thing on TV is live shows not repeated shows. Most wanted live shows are awards or athletics - better still Grammy's and oscars as lacking on our local TV. Every other thing, I repeat, almost every other thing can be seen on our local TV.

Needless to say, NTA can afford to show Animal Planet, National Geographic and if possible repeated versions of the EPL (as seen on galaxy), Grammies, MTV base (as seen on Silverbird), just name it.

We need to see these things live! This same Local TV stations and FSTV they are clamouring for now have refused to Even cover our local league which the so called "banner" should be out to improve and enforce coverage of our local league. instead of turning to these "intelligent" guys. Don't you think so?

They should leave those guys alone. We are not complaining, besides watching at view centres is fun. The EPL is not the most pressing need of Nigerians right now, there are better things to correct. You can't compare those guys with MTN because the same holds in South Africa, Kenya or anywhere in Africa, its gotta be SS. I see this as politics, pure politics.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by ucheman: 11:48am On Aug 15, 2006
angry
First things first, which local channel can match up with the quality of broadcast and programmes on DSTV. if they cannot compete with the south african company then make a partnership with them. These outright ban policies used in Nigeria does not bring solutions. It is an avenue for avoiding useful policies. I donot understand why the FG waited till the start of the premiership before this silly ban. The local DTV do not even have coverage in the entire nation. OK lets go and ask for FSTV even in a city like lokoja. you cannot get it. Modalities should be set out right before bans are placed. WE NIGERIANS are the once going to suffer this. simple.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by wormedup(m): 11:50am On Aug 15, 2006
English Premier League TV Broadcast Rights - 2007-2010. someone has to come up with some money, going by those figures. smiley
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by ucheman: 12:00pm On Aug 15, 2006
Why are we always talking about the common man. If you cannot afford it then go to a viewing centre and watch. If you cannot afford a mercedes benz c-class does that mean it should be ban. Why is it the EPL that is the target. Is it not even a nigerian project (Tinapa) that is advertised during premiership matches. men DSTV is doing a global business and nobody has the right impose a ban. Have they not paid for the right to broadcast in Nigeria?!!! So why now tell them what to broadcast. Ok why not stop also LARRY KING LIVE being broadcast in Nigeria. This thing doesn't make sense. If you are banning, then stop DSTV as a whole not a single programme that doesn't even violate any Nigerian broadcast laws!!!!
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Christino(m): 1:33pm On Aug 15, 2006
Tell them abeg. Tell them o. No be by force.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by hustler(m): 1:55pm On Aug 15, 2006
Guys but i heard Segun Fayose of Multichoice told the the Punch that it was a hoax.That the Epl transmission has not been banned,

Who cares any way when i can always watch my Serie A on Rai uninterrupted, lol

Epl lovers Buena fortuna tho.

Arrivederci.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by celemel(m): 11:32pm On Aug 15, 2006
our obsession about EPL is fascinating, to say the least. Some of us are ready to take any $hit just because Frank Nweke has suddenly woken up from slumber to realize that DSTV is a typical SA coy, out to milk as much money as possible from hapless Nigerians. Truth is, monopoly strangulates a free-market economy and creates artificial scarcity. N900.00/month for DSTV is completely crazy and outrageous. Let the ban stay; Nigerians' would be the better for it in the long tun.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by vichel(m): 12:49am On Aug 16, 2006
My question is with this ban in place, is there another alternative that has been put in place for watching the premiership in Nigeria? Cos if they ban and have no back up, then i think they are a big joke

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Manchester United Vs Southampton (0 - 1) On 23rd January 2016 / Chelsea Vs Schalke - UCL (3 - 0) On 6th November 2013 / Crystal Palace Vs Arsenal (2 - 2) On 28th October 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.