Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership (16520 Views)

Poll: Do you support this decision?

Yes: 44% (51 votes)
No: 55% (63 votes)
This poll has ended

TB Joshua Predict That English Premiership Side Chelsea Will Champions League / Dstv Regains Lucrative English Premiership Rights In $100m Deal / Arsenal Will Win D English Premiership This Season Coming 4rm Prophet T.b Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 1:45am On Aug 16, 2006
well my own question is

now that they've banned the EPL in Nigeria is there an increase in the number of people watching the Nigerian Premier League?
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by amodu(m): 12:01pm On Aug 16, 2006
The Premiership is getting closer
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by smokie(m): 2:59pm On Aug 16, 2006
This discussion is quite insightful of the Nigerian psyche. Like another posters mentioned before Nigerians support the EPL through DStv they should support their own local league and watch the games on television.

I say this discussion is insightful because it shows me that some Nigerians seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to South African businesses( MTN, DStv) ripping off locals. I don't agree with DStv and the way it has purchased the rights but if you want to solve the problem you make laws and you enforce them through the courts, you don't throw down blanket bans two weeks before the start of a competition that will leave many people irritated at not being able to watch it.

Do you guys for instance know that it costs way more money to conduct business in Nigerian then South Africa? In South Africa there likelihood of power blackouts is zero, the road network is good and people generally don't complain about Nigerians ripping us off, the only thing they want to know is whether said Nigerian is bringing jobs to the country and investing in infrastructure.

Nigerians should instead of waiting for the DStv's and MTN's to exploit them invest money into their own economy.

BTW, I'm a South African.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by slimnike(m): 4:11pm On Aug 16, 2006
Well as for Me I support the decision,but they should have waited for the end of this premier league season before taking such decision.where are We going watch the premeirship this season?because our own NTA can not even show You nigeria league talkless of english premiership.Abi because baba iyabo nor dey watch football He nor know this one.?
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by davidng: 7:06pm On Aug 16, 2006
There is really nothing wrong for DSTV airing the EPL since most of our player do play in the EPL and airing it also makes those incharge of our league realise they really have alot to do than just fold their hands.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by prettyed: 11:37am On Aug 17, 2006
FG has done what they is right,what we need now is solutions,where do we watch premiership?
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by celemel(m): 11:41am On Aug 17, 2006
Which complex is more? It seems like some of those who are unnecessarily crazy about the EPL can take any $hit to watch same. I think such persons suffer more complex than some of us who care less about the neo-colonialism that comes with modern soccer.  I love football, and all the gifted guys who display their talents, running round the leather but for God's sake, must we stomach every bunkum just because we can't live without the behemoth of the South African giants?  The govt of european countries and USA have collectively paralyzed the globalization agenda of the WTO simply because they want to protect their domestic economies by giving heavy subsidies to their farmers.  The US govt can't be pressurized to abandon this path, just because a few guys in the US feel dissatisfied with that stance.  We need protection for our economy.  DSTV, MTN, Shell, Exxon, Agip and such other multinationals are nothing more than modern-day colonialists.  The govt must come up with policies that wud force them to play by the rules same as they force people to play in their home countries.  Its no lie that they operate in our very inclement environment but for God's sake, they must not close out the space and stampede other players out of biz just because they are powerful and wealthy.   This decision must stay and lets see if the heavens would fall.

Not the least why I adore Hugo Chavis, for nationalizing the oil coys in his country and calling the bluff of the US and EU countries.  Nigeria must nationalize these giants and force them to reflect local content.  This wud create jobs and transfer the power of decision making and resource control to we Nigerians.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by hustler(m): 12:32pm On Aug 17, 2006
once again they r not bannin anything oooo.but even if they do who cares??
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by smokie(m): 3:13pm On Aug 17, 2006
If you guys in Nigeria think you have it hard with DStv check out this site.

http://www.mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=35742
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 3:29pm On Aug 17, 2006
smokie

Do u get NTA or AIT in south africa?
Are they any Nigeria companies in SA providing any sort of service, ISP,telecomms and such

So much for giant of africa, biggest network in africa bla bla bla
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by amodu(m): 4:06pm On Aug 17, 2006
Answer the question quick?
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by xkape(m): 7:23pm On Aug 17, 2006
celemel:

Which complex is more? It seems like some of those who are unnecessarily crazy about the EPL can take any $hit to watch same. I think such persons suffer more complex than some of us who care less about the neo-colonialism that comes with modern soccer.  I love football, and all the gifted guys who display their talents, running round the leather but for God's sake, must we stomach every bunkum just because we can't live without the behemoth of the South African giants?  The govt of european countries and USA have collectively paralyzed the globalization agenda of the WTO simply because they want to protect their domestic economies by giving heavy subsidies to their farmers.  The US govt can't be pressurized to abandon this path, just because a few guys in the US feel dissatisfied with that stance.  We need protection for our economy.  DSTV, MTN, Shell, Exxon, Agip and such other multinationals are nothing more than modern-day colonialists.  The govt must come up with policies that would force them to play by the rules same as they force people to play in their home countries.  Its no lie that they operate in our very inclement environment but for God's sake, they must not close out the space and stampede other players out of biz just because they are powerful and wealthy.   This decision must stay and lets see if the heavens would fall.

Not the least why I adore Hugo Chavis, for nationalizing the oil coys in his country and calling the bluff of the US and EU countries.  Nigeria must nationalize these giants and force them to reflect local content.  This would create jobs and transfer the power of decision making and resource control to we Nigerians.

No offense, but this is the same old rehashed anti-neo-colonialism drivel.

Nobody is goin to help your economy develop except yourself. The western powers are doin what they can to help themselves and their citizens which is more than can be said for our leaders. If in the process they trample on u, too bad, survival of the fitest, they tried for so long to hold the Asian economies down and are still trying but they broke free by one thing only- HARD WORK and DICIPLINE. Not military style autocracy and curruption masquraded as something else. I assue you that this DSTV thing is only happening because someone is pulling some strings to make money

You talk of Chavez? I guess you would idolize Castro too? Why not go and live in Cuba? I am sure you criticized Abacha when he was president. How is he different from chavez. When the first Obasanjo regime nationalised everything in Nigeria, did things get better or worse?
Anti-americanism does not equate to development for a nation. Pragmatism and pure economic skill does. Brazil is becoming a superpower in its own right. They did not achieve it by anti-western radicalism and blowing hot air

You talk about complex?. The very mention of neo-colonialism itself is a sign of a deep rooted complex. A complex that externalises all problems to " They are white and I am black thus they are the cause of all my woes"

Like I said in my previous post, nobody is hunting down MTN for the ripping off they are doing to us, why? because they have greased so many palms along the way. The government could have handled this DSTV thing in a more mature mannner and not cover up their incompetence with rhetoric

@SMOKIE

Well said. The rich in Nigeria would rather build refineries in Gambia so they can sell petrol to Nigeria at a profit rather than invest in businesses that require skill and intelligence. Kudos to IBB and the Adenugas for being exceptions to this rule.
Besides Nigerians are colonising other lesser african countries as well. We are almost soley responsible for the funding of the war in Liberia. We are just a little America
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Enigma(m): 12:16am On Aug 18, 2006
Our mumu don do!!! Good decision by the government ------ for once!
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Christino(m): 7:31am On Aug 18, 2006
Like the "sacking" of Okonjo Iweala, Govt should ban "Text Messages" on MTN, ban "Power Cards" on PHCN, ban "Oil Production" Shell and the BAT - British American Tobacco should smoke all their products within the office.

Stupid pigeons.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by celemel(m): 11:02pm On Aug 18, 2006
xkape,
You need to look at nigeria from the perspective of having interest in its future. Pontificating on how other countries have taken risk and invested in their economies would lead us nowhere. Every govt. must sometimes take decisions that wud hurt some guys like u, but who really cares? I agree, nobody can help us but 'us', and then why complain about a decision to help the economy? I suppose your logic is self-contradictry. And what in your opinion is wrong with Chavis? That he isn't allowing d all-time honored and hallowed idiosyncracies of the western-styled capitalism take root in his country sets him apart as a hero of humanism. If you hated Abacha because the press made him a monster, I don't and never did. Statistically, Abacha did more to uplift the wellbeing of more nigerians than any other past or present govt. Check the record, and forget the hoopla of the nigerian medi. Sample: The General Hospital in my state (and am sure your state is among) still uses the bed-covers PTF supplied, completely worn out as it were. OBJ killed 1000 times more people in Odi and Zaki Biam than Abacha killed in all of Nigeria. Abacha created a state for the Ijaw people in Bayelsa and put an identity on the Ijaw man. OBJ sent soldiers to Bayelsa to kill the last Ijaw man and annihilate the state. Abacha increased the price of fuel by N2.00, and set up the PTF to manage the extra funds. They made their presence felt in every nook and crany of Naija. OBJ assumed office when fuel was selling for N22. Today, we buy fuel for up to N80 a litre, yet the hospitals, schools, barracks, roads, electricity and water are in terrible states. Rape, armed robbery, assassination, hostage-taking, kidnapping, etc have come to became permanent features in our land. Who is better between these 2 evils? I leave you to ponder and supply the answer.

Finally, I want to tell you that d first nationalization has greatly improved on d participation of Nigerians in running the economy. OandO and Conoil have emerged from the ashes of behemoth multinationals to become the cynosure of all eyes within d downstream sector of the oil and gas industry in Nigeria. This would have been impossible without such a policy. In all, we need govt intervention once in a while, to get things working. It is done in every country and am sure, we need more of such, to level the field and attract other investors. The consumer gets the best product at the best price, and we all enjoy at d end, having variety to chose from. Once more, to hell with DSTV. grin
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by smokie(m): 9:49am On Aug 19, 2006
@LoverBwoy: No we don't get AIT or NTA broadcasting in this country, it should be said that there are no restrictions on them operating, thing is if they do decide to broadcast they will encounter fierce competition from local channels.

We also don't have any large Nigerian companies operating here. The only reason MTN went to Nigeria is because telecoms sector was under-developed and they saw a gap in the market, if you want to begrudge them for taking a risk go ahead.

Nigerians must realise that Globalisation is here to stay, unless you take risks in your own country other people are going to come there, take the risks and make big fat profits in the process.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by xkape(m): 1:10pm On Aug 19, 2006
@celemel
I share ur sentiments on Abacha. He was a monster in many ways but I dont think he was more of a monster thatn OBJ is. However, my point is people like Chavez, Moralez and Mugabe think u can gain legitimacy by west-bashing. All the rhetoric doesnt account for much until they produce results. Like Brazil or China.

All the anti-Americanism hast raised Cuba from poverty. And always realise that many of these governments are just proxies for the ungoing cold-war

Like our people will say, when u see a sprite dancing on the pathway, the drummer is lurking in the bush

I am not saying DSTV should not be dealt with, all I am saying is there are better ways of doing it than this
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Lopezdee1: 4:22pm On Aug 19, 2006
I will make my points strictly from legal point of view, because this is a very complex issue, because this matter has a lot of implications to DSTV, Nigeria and the African continent as a whole. I wonder how dstv can be granted the exclusive right to broadcast EPL in Africa, when the same practice is not acceptable in Europe and America because of competition law, where right to broadcast is exclusive to each country, and even within each country one company is not allowed exclusive broadcast. For example the right to EPL in UK which is owned by Sky Sports has been withdrawn and the broadcast has been splited into four licenses where a company can only acquire maximum of three living at least one license for another broadcaster. The effect is that certain EPL games will not be broadcasted by Sky but other broadcaster which may acquire the right to other EPL games.

Giving Exclusive right to DSTV amount to equate one European country to the whole of Africa, which i feel politically and Economically is very wrong. I know DSTV does not operate in every African countries but even in those countries where it does not operate other local company cannot broadcast the matches. Thus what NFG has done is not only to liberate Nigeria from this "slavery" arrangement, but the whole of Africa because if each countries can be individually licensed it will help to develop the broadcast sector not only in Nigeria but the whole of Africa. Therefore this is more than issue of inferiority complex between Nigeria and South Africa, but an issue deliberate attempt by DSTV in collaboration with their European master to keep Africa broadcasting industry from developing
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by SirKay3(m): 5:03pm On Aug 19, 2006
EPL matches were shown today on DSTV
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 4:36am On Aug 20, 2006
smokie:

@LoverBwoy: No we don't get AIT or NTA broadcasting in this country, it should be said that there are no restrictions on them operating, thing is if they do decide to broadcast they will encounter fierce competition from local channels.

We also don't have any large Nigerian companies operating here. The only reason MTN went to Nigeria is because telecoms sector was under-developed and they saw a gap in the market, if you want to begrudge them for taking a risk go ahead.

Nigerians must realise that Globalisation is here to stay, unless you take risks in your own country other people are going to come there, take the risks and make big fat profits in the process.

not at all mate! begrudge them NEVER! i totally support them!!! it's a competition he who dares win. our companies are always dozing off when others are on track!!

read my previous posts wink
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Christino(m): 7:22am On Aug 20, 2006
Lopezdee1:

I will make my points strictly from legal point of view, because this is a very complex issue, because this matter has a lot of implications to DSTV, Nigeria and the African continent as a whole. I wonder how dstv can be granted the exclusive right to broadcast EPL in Africa, when the same practice is not acceptable in Europe and America because of competition law, where right to broadcast is exclusive to each country, and even within each country one company is not allowed exclusive broadcast. For example the right to EPL in UK which is owned by Sky Sports has been withdrawn and the broadcast has been splited into four licenses where a company can only acquire maximum of three living at least one license for another broadcaster. The effect is that certain EPL games will not be broadcasted by Sky but other broadcaster which may acquire the right to other EPL games.

Giving Exclusive right to DSTV amount to equate one European country to the whole of Africa, which i feel politically and Economically is very wrong. I know DSTV does not operate in every African countries but even in those countries where it does not operate other local company cannot broadcast the matches. Thus what NFG has done is not only to liberate Nigeria from this "slavery" arrangement, but the whole of Africa because if each countries can be individually licensed it will help to develop the broadcast sector not only in Nigeria but the whole of Africa. Therefore this is more than issue of inferiority complex between Nigeria and South Africa, but an issue deliberate attempt by DSTV in collaboration with their European master to keep Africa broadcasting industry from developing

Dear Lopez,
The best guyz in biz are people with foresight who are ready to take risks. Who'd have thought the EPL could be so interesting? There was a time AIT was showing the Serie A 24/7 then we weren't really interested in the EPL cos there weren't so many Nigerians in the league, I only remember the days of Evan Ikoku. John Fashanu and Reuben Agboola played when soccer coverage in Nigeria was so poor. These guys went against all odds to bring us the EPL which is just one out of more than 10 dozens of programmes on DSTV.
I don't know why they have to pay for our slack attitude. Shouldn;t we just go the Eng. FA and buy the rights for Nigeria Alone?
Where were we when the rights were up for grabs? Syphoning money to Swiss Banks, when did we embrace GSM? After Nitel had dealt with our ass and them Intercellular and 090 guys were fragging us to hell.
Like the NFA issue i see this case getting nowhere, besides you heard the games were shown live yesterday, so what next?

Please beg them to develop our local league so that FSTV and co can buy "exclusive" rights for that, besides, don't be surprised SuperSports would even be the "Monopolistic buyers" of that too, only if they see a future in it.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by xkape(m): 1:18pm On Aug 22, 2006
@Chritino

God bless u broda
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by slimnike(m): 1:19pm On Aug 23, 2006
Men I watch the EPL live on DSTV on Sunday.What happened to the decision?
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by wormedup(m): 2:10pm On Aug 23, 2006
i guess the fight is still on. maybe it's just another front the FG wanted to put on to scare some people.

list of today's fixtures all on super sports DSTV

23 August

Manchester City v Portsmouth
City of Manchester 20:45

Aston Villa v Reading
Villa Park 20:45

Charlton Athletic v Manchester United
The Valley 21:00

Middlesbrough v Chelsea
The Riverside Stadium 21:00

Fulham v Bolton Wanderers
Craven Cottage 21:00

Blackburn Rovers v Everton
Ewood Park 21:00

u can see more fixtures here.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by 2old4that(m): 6:52pm On Aug 23, 2006
@ slimnike
i watched it too.
i kinda wonder what happen to the banning issue

Maybe FG forgot to ban it afterall, nigerian thing
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by slimnike(m): 1:35pm On Aug 25, 2006
Is like the FG did not really ban them.I saw the real story on Vanguard news paper on wedneday August 23.You guys can go see for your selfs.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 12:27am On Sep 06, 2006
Where existing contractual agreements obtain, upon their lapse, subsequent rights acquisition agreements must designate Nigeria as a stand-alone territory;

However, some individual reports misinterpreted the press release claiming that the NBC has banned (emphasis mine) DStv/MultiChoice Nigeria Limited from streaming live matches from the English Premier League in consonance with a subsisting license held by SuperSport, one of the channels on DStv.

and many still wonder why MultiChoice has been accused of unfair practice by other operators who did not engage in the open bidding when the rights to channels were made available.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/features/technology/tec223082006.html
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by hustler(m): 3:01pm On Sep 06, 2006
Guys don't u think it's the spanish la liga super sport won't show at all this season.

they haven't shown any game since it started and they will show none again this weekend.

I need feedback urgently oo. hola

Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by LoverBwoy(m): 1:25am On Sep 07, 2006
why cant the other satellite stations buy rights to spanish and French league?
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by wormedup(m): 11:45am On Sep 07, 2006
@hustler,
but they aired the super-cup .
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by hustler(m): 12:29pm On Sep 07, 2006
@ wormed

yea they did.but so far nothin's been said bout la liga.

did u see the opening games??wat about the highlights they used to show

nothin will be aired this weekend too??

they are showin the globacom super four to compensate for that

i just hope not.
Re: FG Bans DSTV From Airing English Premiership by Rocafella: 8:43pm On Sep 07, 2006
Frank Nweke Jr,I have really liked you all this while but until recently,do you want us to switch over to Nigerian Premier League that has nothing to offer? I know what's causing all this,cos no one is flying the flags of Enyimba,Rangers,Sharks, it's all about Man U,Arsenal,Chelsea,Liverpool etc, so guys from now on let's be a lilttle more patriotic and support our own a lilltle, Up Ocean Boys, Did i hear someone shouting Up Shooting Stars

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Manchester United Vs Southampton (0 - 1) On 23rd January 2016 / Crystal Palace Vs Arsenal (2 - 2) On 28th October 2018 / Chelsea Vs Schalke - UCL (3 - 0) On 6th November 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.