Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? (21582 Views)

Nigerian Tailors And Disappointment: Share Your Experiences / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! / Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 14, 2014
OP, thanks for reminding me. There is this tailor i gave a job and paid him more than half the amount he charge but he still messed up.

Am still looking for a Sango priest to take there since law enforcement agents dont move tailors this days anymore.

those guys are just heartless.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 14, 2014
[deleted]

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:13pm On Nov 14, 2014
most tailors are not lazy.
some are just so greedy that they take many works that they can't finish within a short time
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Nov 14, 2014
Tovot:
@op its the type of tailors you hv been patronizing. Not all tailors are unreliable. I am a tailor and I know my onions, if you bring a material to me to make for and I know I am too busy, I ld tell you to come back. But some customers are so sturbon ,they like emergency work. They ld bring a cloth today and want to collect it tomorrow, pls am not a magician na, I have other dresses to make too na. So consider the situation the tailor is in atimes.

You sounded exactly the same way the last tailor that disappointed me sounded after telling him im not in a haste,let him take his time to do a good job for me. I paid him well and the job were just seven natives, its been two months now, the courtesy to call and apologies is not there.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 14, 2014
GREED......GREED......GREED.
D only reliable Nigerian tailors are the OBIOMAs...
They stay put, work and handover your clothes to u...directly..

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by LeoSanchez(m): 2:21pm On Nov 14, 2014
bro i tried it.. But its saying i dont have sufficient credit to perform dis transcation or somfin like dat.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by LadyCaty(f): 2:21pm On Nov 14, 2014
StealthyMe:
Blame it on the situation of things grin
They take on more than they can sew cos of the extra cash undecided

Best advice,want to use your cloth in December, tell them it should be ready by June and you'll get it by Sept/Oct...
Right on time for your occassion grin

Exactly..and also u tel dem u usin it 4 an occassion lyk wedding nd so on..dey kn be vewi annoyin sha..na onli God go help us 4 whr dem dey..

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Nov 14, 2014
even when they do not have much work, they must tell you stories
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by tomiobj(m): 2:39pm On Nov 14, 2014
silvoice:
Nigerian Tailors & Disappointment: Work Hazard Or Laziness?

Since I was born, now I'm getting old, I've never given a local fashion designer (tailor) a material and had the clothing delivered on time without one or two stories. What's your experience with them? Is it the nature of the work or are most of them lazy?

Ahh. It's only the gods thaat can answer this question
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by ChurchillStorm: 2:45pm On Nov 14, 2014
Hariyorh:
it's not even just fashion designers
artisan = disappointment #synonym
don't bother checking your dico

For your very small mind, abi? what's impressive about the words you used? I learnt these words in primary 3.

When next you feel like stroking your down-to-the-dust ego, try bigger words. Garygoyle.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by mendobass(m): 2:46pm On Nov 14, 2014
Hariyorh:
you are very correct friend all artisan are the same been it carpenter, tailor, shoe maker, dry cleaner name them the simple cause is lack of professionalism
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 14, 2014
Only the Yoruba Tailors are Unreliable, because they are lazy. Igbo tailors can even cut and sew your cloth before your eyes.

Here in Ilorin, Ibo traders will open thier shops as early as 7:00am bt Yoruba will open thiers by 9.30am, when people have already bought what they need by 8.00. Later, they will acuse the igbos of syphoning their wealth because 'they too like money'

PS: I am neither Yoruba nor Ibo, am Just saying the truth

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Sunkyphil(m): 3:08pm On Nov 14, 2014
one disappointed me two saturdays ago,na on d day i wan use d cloth d guy just dey sew am,d guy make me late go d wedding sote i no c gift collect na by luck i c food chop self

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Sagamite(m): 3:14pm On Nov 14, 2014
silvoice:

Since I was born, now I'm getting old, I've never given a local fashion designer (tailor) a material and had the clothing delivered on time without one or two stories. What's your experience with them? Is it the nature of the work or are most of them lazy?

Which Nigerian profession workers are reliable? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 14, 2014
ChurchillStorm:

For your very small mind, abi? what's impressive about the words you used? I learnt these words in primary 3.

When next you feel like stroking your down-to-the-dust ego, try bigger words. Garygoyle.
Must you quote me?...i see you're up for something i will NEVER do *Diss*... just so you know I owe you no explanation for whatever I put up there, nevrtheless, I will be humble to learn from you.
WHAT SHOULD I HAVE SAID/WRITTEN?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Nov 14, 2014
silvoice:

I share in your plight dear. I ve had terrible experiences with tailors in naija.. They will take your measurement, cut your fabric, bundle it together and dump it somewhere until you show up and harass them. It's even worse if you pay upfront!
I can sew and I sketch all my designs, so I can't understand why a tailor would do the work of 3 hours in 1 year. I give my fabrics to tailors to sew in order to encourage them and also when I'm very busy and don't have sufficient time.
Almost all the time, they cut the pattern of a strange design, not even the design I sketched and explained for them. Till date, 3 different tailors ran away with my fabrics and money. One is a camerounian, one a Senegalese and the other a Birom boy from Jos, plateau state.
I have resolved to either pay for express work, cut the pattern before hand and sit with the tailor till my work is done (I never pay a dime till the work is completed), or I sew it myself (at night, because I will have more time for that).
Ready-made clothings are a better option, although there's a chance of someone appearing for the same event looking like your co-wife, spouse or twin.
Nigerian tailors, una dey fall pesin hand die! All Nigerian artisans are the same.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Nov 14, 2014
jesuslovesme123:
It's not a problem relating to tailors only - it's one of artisans in general, and it is because service standards in general are poor. People only improve their service when a better competitor comes along and threatens to kick them out of business. Thanks to the multinationals / foreign owned companies in this country, many local companies have had to improve their standards. Those that haven't improved have been relegated to the backseat or have been totally kicked out (fast food industry, for example).

Absolute fact. A very large number of artisans in Nigeria have similar blood of lies and bad work ethics flowing in them. If you are a fiery client, you could easily do to them the unthinkable. Such a disheartening workplace attitude!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Nov 14, 2014
mendobass:
you are very correct friend all artisan are the same been it carpenter, tailor, shoe maker, dry cleaner name them the simple cause is lack of professionalism
The hard to believe truth is that..not all of them follow this trend of insincerity.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by IYANGBALI: 3:52pm On Nov 14, 2014
Hariyorh:
your username looks like Harlot grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by igbo2011(m): 3:56pm On Nov 14, 2014
My tailor is good
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Nov 14, 2014
igbo2011:
My tailor is good
One day na one day! Monkey go go market, e no go return. Your tailor will show you shege one day and you will remember what I said and water will run away your eyes! cheesy
IYANGBALI:
your username looks like Harlot grin
...Explain
too much shakara dey do dem
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by IYANGBALI: 4:00pm On Nov 14, 2014
Hariyorh:

...Explain
the spellings now
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by oshyno(m): 4:10pm On Nov 14, 2014
As if the OP knows what happened to me 2days ago. Gave this guy cloth to sew Senator 4me. Dude gave me 15days to come pick my cloth.
On the D-day I traveled all d way frm PH to ABA to pick my cloths. With smiles allover that am going to pick my "xmas" cloths , this guy did not even know where he dropped my cloth. I wan run mad. I didnt know whether to be slapping him, carry my cloth back to PH n sew infact I was just looking at dis guy. Right there n then he started working on d cloth. Got to PH around 11pm . I was really really mad.

Well on a side note, I took the time out to go round and check out some nice places to chill out. Lahero Hotel caught my fancy. I had to even wish it was a weekend so as to club small cuz d DJ there seems to know why hez there grin grin grin grin.

Tailors- most unreliable people on earth. But wen I look at the guy work eeeh , I go come 4get d trouble. Cloth was sewed on point. Very lovely meeeen. Going back 4 another very soon.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by usten: 4:14pm On Nov 14, 2014
ALL artisans in Nigeria come from the "same womb"....
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Nov 14, 2014
Yes too much wrk
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by bigdjcool(m): 4:25pm On Nov 14, 2014
This may come as a surprise but my tailor never disappoints me. He's a yoruba man and he always keeps to his word. It always surprises me sef
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 14, 2014
Being Unreliable is the first skill most Nigerian tailors acquire before the tailoring skill itself.

Being unreliable is in their tailoring curriculum.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by Reference(m): 4:27pm On Nov 14, 2014
Few are sold out to excellence. My neighbour does it so I do.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by tolustx(m): 4:34pm On Nov 14, 2014
Three7Ty9:
GREED! They keep taking clothes from customers, hoping they'll find time to sew it. Unfortunately, they never meet up.
This issue is not jst abt tailors alone. It's abt all artisans/craftmen. I gave a fone to a repairer to change d screen nd flex on tuesday. He told me to com collect it on wednesday. I tell u dat till now, it's been one excuse afta anoda and I'm yet to get it.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Tailors So Unreliable? by talima(m): 4:43pm On Nov 14, 2014
silvoice:

get ur well tailored wears sewn and delivered withong 72hrs. Frm a reliable tailor in aba. Call 08038409958

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ugochi Ihezue Wins Miss Universe Nigeria 2023 / Best And Worst Dressed At FOZ Album Launch / What Color Are Yur Nails?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.