Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 (23437 Views)

CONFIRMED: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 / Nigeria Vs Sudan: Afcon Qualifiers (3 - 1) On 15th October 2014 / Nigeria Vs Equitorial Guinea (AWC 2010 Final) Ended 4-2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by timilehin007(m): 4:19pm On Nov 14, 2014
spanzed:
Does equtorial guniea have a football team
if matter scatter for face na oracle we dey ask.......so wait let me ask ifa

1 Like

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by ukandi1(m): 4:24pm On Nov 14, 2014
khattab02:
bros, it is no disgrace. You and I know that we are not ready to host. Also, if at the end of the qualifiers we are not good to qualify, I don't see us getting any better when hosting. Let us qualify by qualifiers if we can not by hosting.

u have sounded well..
More than anything, lets ask ourselves why did morocco refuse d hosting right? It was strictly because of ebola.
Lets not forget how many nigerians died drinking salt water just to stay away from Ebola.
Do u all think we would have been ready to battle any new outbreak of Ebola?
I hope that equatorial guinea understand what they are up against here...
I thank God Nigeria never got to host.
I hope also that we do not qualify for d biennial showpiece as well.. I pray that CAF insistence on not postponding it does not spell doom for Africa..
Lets wish equatorial guinea well in hosting d soccer showpiece...

2 Likes

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 14, 2014
ukandi1:

u have sounded well..
More than anything, lets ask ourselves why did morocco refuse d hosting right? It was strictly because of ebola.
Lets not forget how many nigerians died drinking salt water just to stay away from Ebola.
Do u all think we would have been ready to battle any new outbreak of Ebola?
I hope that equatorial guinea understand what they are up against here...
I thank God Nigeria never got to host.
I hope also that we do not qualify for d biennial showpiece as well.. I pray that CAF insistence on not postponding it does not spell doom for Africa..
Lets wish equatorial guinea well in hosting d soccer showpiece...
Let me ask you just one question to expose how little you know about this issue.

Which country has been hosting home games for Guinea, one of the 3 Ebola affected countries in West Africa?

Find out the answer to that question and then keep silent because there are far bigger things going on here than you are capable of understanding.
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by Wisdytech(m): 4:29pm On Nov 14, 2014
WOW! Congrat to them
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by gbaskiboy: 4:45pm On Nov 14, 2014
spanzed:
Does equtorial guniea have a football team
No! they have baskketball team
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by Nobody: 4:51pm On Nov 14, 2014
jkendy:
By refusing to host the tournament, Morocco has clearly shown us that North African countries don't belong to Africa. They prefer to be referred to as Middle East...........
So be it. We no want trouble makers in our continent.
atimes I don't blame them when they refuse to associate themselves with Africans.... Isa hayotou and his team are very insensitive. Morocco had a good reason , Ebola is a serious disease. They requested th tournament be moved till June but they refused..... Why ? Guinea already is not far from the ebola countries watch as this virus spreads more after Afcon. We just need to be more cautious and sensitive to issues like this .

1 Like

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by spanzed(m): 4:52pm On Nov 14, 2014
halmeyd:

as d host tournament,dey wil surely participate....D extra host slot reserved 4 moroco wil b gven 2 dem!
ok thanks
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by ukandi1(m): 4:53pm On Nov 14, 2014
rickkid:

Let me ask you just one question to expose how little you know about this issue.

Which country has been hosting home games for Guinea, one of the 3 Ebola affected countries in West Africa?

Find out the answer to that question and then keep silent because there are far bigger things going on here than you are capable of understanding.

its unfortunate that u can choose to be derogatory in ur response to my opinion.
That guinea has hosted its matches or have their matches hosted by anoda nation or that d 3 ebola stricken nations are involve in d nations cup qualifier does not negate d existence of Ebola virus.
So what are u saying?
With d spate of suicide killings in Nigerian on d increase, how safe and prepared are we to deal with d Ebola and insecurity? I know more than u have relegated me to.
Kindly check ur hypotheses again before they become ur facts..

2 Likes

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by Nobody: 4:59pm On Nov 14, 2014
rickkid:

And when Eq Guinea successfully hosts it with no mishaps (As they will), and then Ghanaians and other Africans congregate here to insult us for being chickens and big for nothing, you'll be the first to complain.
It's not about size.
Giant of Africa is not by mouth alone.
do they just host like that .... Something you have not budgeted for ? Or you don't know it will cost the government money

1 Like

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by enzo01(m): 4:59pm On Nov 14, 2014
Is equitorial guinea not ebola affected country?
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by KingTom(m): 4:59pm On Nov 14, 2014
rickkid:
By the end of the tournament in February, Equatorial Guinea will have scored a massive image coup and Nigeria and the other countries who chickened out will be left with egg on their faces. This was a prime opportunity to project Nigeria positively and display a leadership role on the continent. Imagine Nigeria being the country which bailed out the rest of Africa and put on a great show against all outside expectations. Imagine Nigeria successfully defending the AFCON trophy in front of 68,000 Green and White shirts in Abuja. Imagine the rest of Africa and the world looking up at Nigeria as it would have sent the most evocative statement about our confidence in ourselves and our ability to get things done.
Instead, it's a TINY country like Equatorial Guinea which will now bad mouth us afterward saying things like "What Nigeria dared not do, we did excellently."
When all of you will be complaining that other people badmouth Nigerians, you don't see how things like this create these negative pictures of us.
After we've gone around beating our chests about how we are Africa's first ever $500bn economy and the largest economy in Africa, ordinary 4 week, 4 city tournament which we already have the infrastructure to host, we choose to chicken out.
Country of loud mouth, big for nothing, unsubstantiated egos.
Oga no vex na e go better grin
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by khattab02: 5:05pm On Nov 14, 2014
enzo01:
Is equitorial guinea not ebola affected country?
no, they are not. It is Guinea Conakry who are.
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 14, 2014
olayitoyiwonuola:

So people expect Nigeria to Host AFCON infront of BorkoHaram

What Boko Haram ? there is no Boko haram in Nigeria oooo, can you please point in the map where boko haram is happening

grin grin

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by jiggalo(m): 5:14pm On Nov 14, 2014
Na only Nigeria waka come?. Why can't we allow other African country to show case what they have.
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by Donbabaj: 5:14pm On Nov 14, 2014
Guys think! so u expected it was going to be Nigeria as the host country aite? sorry because GEJ would be busy then strategizing ways to rig the election come January
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by Marcelinho(m): 5:15pm On Nov 14, 2014
rickkid:
By the end of the tournament in February, Equatorial Guinea will have scored a massive image coup and Nigeria and the other countries who chickened out will be left with egg on their faces. This was a prime opportunity to project Nigeria positively and display a leadership role on the continent. Imagine Nigeria being the country which bailed out the rest of Africa and put on a great show against all outside expectations. Imagine Nigeria successfully defending the AFCON trophy in front of 68,000 Green and White shirts in Abuja. Imagine the rest of Africa and the world looking up at Nigeria as it would have sent the most evocative statement about our confidence in ourselves and our ability to get things done.
Instead, it's a TINY country like Equatorial Guinea which will now bad mouth us afterward saying things like "What Nigeria dared not do, we did excellently."
When all of you will be complaining that other people badmouth Nigerians, you don't see how things like this create these negative pictures of us.
After we've gone around beating our chests about how we are Africa's first ever $500bn economy and the largest economy in Africa, ordinary 4 week, 4 city tournament which we already have the infrastructure to host, we choose to chicken out.

I site u bro that absolutely right!
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by born2boink(m): 5:28pm On Nov 14, 2014
rickkid:

And when Eq Guinea successfully hosts it with no mishaps (As they will), and then Ghanaians and other Africans congregate here to insult us for being chickens and big for nothing, you'll be the first to complain.
It's not about size.
Giant of Africa is not by mouth alone.
wetin this one dey talk.

1 Like

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by MadCow1: 5:29pm On Nov 14, 2014
rickkid:

What's this one talking...

And then Nigeria wins the bid to host the tournament.. Boko Haram then strikes at a game with international journalists and TV crews watching..

Na wah for some of una o..

1 Like

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by 14(m): 5:29pm On Nov 14, 2014
The same Equatorial Guinea that was ban by CAF to participate in Qualifier for Morocco 2015, because they fielded an eligible player. So Equatorial Guinea bought themselves to CAF 2015, wow. Money talks

1 Like

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by Badosqi(m): 5:32pm On Nov 14, 2014
rickkid:

Ebola is a red herring in this context. The same Morocco which refused to host AFCON accepted hosting the Club World cup next month, a competition with teams which also have fans from Ebola-affected countries who might travel to Morocco. In fact Spain currently has at least 3 Ebola cases and Real Madrid CF will be bringing a large contingent of Spanish fans to Morocco next month and the Moroccan authorities have no problem with it.
The simple fact is that Morocco is broke! They are merely using this Ebola thing as a smokescreen. Afterall Guinea which is heavily affected by Ebola has been playing its home qualifiers where? Morocco! Ebola is not the issue at all, you should have realised this by now.
Hosting the Club World Cup will bring in more money for them than the AFCON and they are also afraid of the effect of the Ebola stigma on future tourism revenues, not actual Ebola which even in West Africa is already disappearing. You are allowing these craft Arabs to pull the wool over your eyes.
Is as if you don't know things about nigeria presently. Boko haram is a big threat right now and if you have forgotten this tournament is around january - february. Nigeria election is coming up next year February so tell me how can we host it?.
Remember election is next year February!!

1 Like

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by centmichael101(m): 5:32pm On Nov 14, 2014
Ebola is allow
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by Wandungu(m): 5:36pm On Nov 14, 2014
Nigeria has too much going on for it to be hosting the Nations cup. Its good for little Equatorial Guinea. Nothing goes on there anyway, apart from Obiang and family stealing millions of $$.

1 Like

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by Badosqi(m): 5:37pm On Nov 14, 2014
Marcelinho:

I site u bro that absolutely right!
Sorry guy, he is absolutely wrong. Election is next year February and Afcon is from january to february so tell me how will naija host it. You guys should stop disturbing urselvesn Africa is made up of over 50 countries nigeria can't do everything for Africa.

1 Like

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by EbolaParasite: 5:38pm On Nov 14, 2014
MadCow1:

What's this one talking...

And then Nigeria wins the bid to host the tournament.. Boko Haram then strikes at a game with international journalists and TV crews watching..

Na wah for some of una o..

Leave the kid and his rambling. Is hosting by force sef. It's not like Nigeria was given the hosting rights and we pulled back so what is this "kids" problem. We have bigger issues to deal with. We have hot elections coming up, we have boko haram, we have Nepa, we just survived ebola etc.
We do not give a rats yansh about hosting right now.

2 Likes

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by makzeze: 5:38pm On Nov 14, 2014
Before it was Libya, later Morocco and now equitorial Guinea.

This 2015 sef, God save us from the bad leadership of PDP.
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by Dreyl(m): 5:48pm On Nov 14, 2014
So naija can't host AFCON again..
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by gulfer: 5:54pm On Nov 14, 2014
femi4:
Guinea is heavily doped with Ebola. The host Country is Equitorial Guinea
Guinea is surely different from Equitorial Guinea, teacher don't teach me nansense.
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by khattab02: 5:55pm On Nov 14, 2014
14:
The same Equatorial Guinea that was ban by CAF to participate in Qualifier for Morocco 2015, because they fielded an eligible player. So Equatorial Guinea bought themselves to CAF 2015, wow. Money talks
I don't think so! because all top countries backed out. Moreover they were only saving Caf's shame of not finding a host within the second largest continent in the world.
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by Smooyis(m): 6:10pm On Nov 14, 2014
rickkid:

I appreciate your level headed response and I concede that all is not well in Nigeria per se. However, to put it frankly, he who watches the weather will never sow seed. With the exception of maybe Germany in 2006, every single senior FIFA or CAF tournament since 2000 has been hosted by countries which have been heavily criticised for not being "ready" to host. Mali in AFCON 2002, Tunisia in AFCON 2004, Egypt in AFCON 2006, Ghana in AFCON 2008, Angola in AFCON 2010, South Africa in WC 2010, Eq Guinea/Gabon in AFCON 2012, Brazil in WC 2014.
Projecting the image of your country is not only for when your country is already set up and running, in fact it's even more important when your country is facing challenges. People criticised South Africa for spending billions on the World Cup when large parts of the country don't have access to simple sanitary and electricity facilities. People criticised Brazil for the same reason. People criticised Angola in 2010 for that and for hosting AFCON while a civil war raged on in the north of that country in Cabinda. But whether anyone likes it or not now, those countries all successfully hosted and the sky did not fall down. The heavily-criticised South Africa and Angola were in fact considered to host this AFCON before Nigeria. It is forever down on their record as an achievement. Eq Guinea co-hosted successfully in 2012, now in 2015 they will host individually. Nigeria co-hosted with Ghana in 2000 and till now is yet to host again. What story does that tell? That Nigeria had a head start on Eq Guinea and they have now caught up and overtaken us? Is it that Eq Guinea is in any way a better country than Nigeria? Is it that Eq Guinea has no problem with insecurity? Or is it that they have better developed infrastructure than Nigeria? Or better finances than Nigeria? What exactly is the rational reason why in a straight shootout between a giant like Nigeria and a tiny country like Eq Guinea, the outcome will be a victory for Eq Guinea?
No matter how you might want to rationalise this, the fact is that once it became public knowledge that it was a straight choice between Nigeria and Eq Guinea, there is no way Nigeria should have permitted itself to lose face by backing down. In fact it would have been better for Nigeria to rule itself out very early on like South Africa did. Not that we allowed the whole world to see it as Nigeria v Eq Guinea only for Eq Guinea to win. That is rubbish! The sort of naive, short sighted, foolish international relations Nigeria is renowned for.
I am quite of the opinion that your submissions here are borne out of patriotism for our fatherland, and your wish for her to live up to its name as 'giant of Africa'. I also would have loved Nigeria to host such a big event. However, i still believe that no sane government would risk endangering the lives of so many people with the ferocity at which boko haram operates in Nigeria today. From the look of things, these terrorists will do all within their power to score a cheap point by attacking one of the venues of the competition. I believe the government is aware of this, and has decided to let sleeping dog lie. Secondly, next year is Nigeria's general election, and it almost coincides with the football fiesta. We all know that election in Nigeria is almost a do or die affair. The government of the day is so much preoccupied with returning to power, and we know the violence that often precedes such elections. These are things that make me feel that hosting Afcon is not really a priority at this stage. Let us forget the story of Nigeria being the best economy in Africa. Today, Nigerians are more divided than ever before. Nigerians are dis-illusioned as regards their future as a nation. Poverty and hardship has become the order of the day. It is really a difficult time for everyone.
In addition, most countries are still stiff scared of the ebola pandemic. We all know the agony, discrimination and loss we went through because of one man from Liberia. The families who lost loved ones are yet to fully recover from the loss. With our loose borders, it is not impossible that there may be a re-occurrence of such, and the consequences would be unimaginable!

1 Like

Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by redcliff: 6:14pm On Nov 14, 2014
rickkid:

chei....smh.
Re: Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 by acenazt: 6:25pm On Nov 14, 2014
Caf ohh how many stadium dey equatorial Guinea?? na just 3. the biggest is 35000 and the other 2 are 6000 and 4000. Dis must be a joke.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) / Lukaku Hails Osimhen Best Striker In Italy Now, Ahead Inter, Napoli Clash / Sunshine Stars Football Club Players Held Hostage By Fans After Football (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.