Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty (5310 Views)

Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa / My Message To People Sharing Bads/making Jest Of Nigeria Today / Fuel Subsidy Removal: The Best Way For Jonathan To Punish Nigerians For Making Jest Of His Wife. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by LORDI(m): 10:04am On Nov 15, 2014
maestroferddi:
Don't you think it is rash to make a sweeping generalisation about The Daily Mail just because of an ill-conceived article.

I am an avid reader of the paper and to me they are among the best in the world.
Nobody said they are not the best in world.,but trying to compare KIM K and an african woman who was abused..they even ignored the fact that she was abused,raped and died in sufferings...now that's mocking.

1 Like

Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by MisterLongman(m): 10:07am On Nov 15, 2014
The write-up clearly shows that the british are unrepentant about the various atrocities they committed against africans.....
Comparing a wayward kim k that voluntarily poses nude and a woman that was forced against her own will in the name of slavery shows how insensitive the writer is

2 Likes

Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by maestroferddi: 10:36am On Nov 15, 2014
LORDI:
Nobody said they are not the best in world.,but trying to compare KIM K and an african woman who was abused..they even ignored the fact that she was abused,raped and died in sufferings...now that's mocking.
I have just read the article and just cannot situate the jumpiness that is being displayed here.

First of all, the article was a contribution by a South African white writer. The piece is, in all intents and purposes, a quasi- historical narrative of life in time of slavery. Granted that it is unsavoury, but we can't wish the fact of slavery away:it did happen. A better argument would have been to show that the author's account reflected historical inaccuracies.

I did not see where the article drew parallels between Kim K's predilection to flaunt nudity to African culture. Instead, the author was highlighting the fact that people have almost always been drawn to curiosity. He juxtaposed Baartman's case of over 200 years ago with the stir Kim K is causing at the moment. I just cannot see the connection with racism.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by repogirl(f): 11:05am On Nov 15, 2014
jasper7:

Datz the point you are not getting. You expect the white man to hold a black woman who died almost 200years ago in high regard? Do we africans even hold ourselves in high regard?
We cannot go and be fighting oyibo for disrespecting us when we disrespect and embarrass ourselves everyday.
Have you ever sat down to ask yourself this question. Why is Mandela the most recognized black man ever? Because he challenged the white man and stood up for himself for decades. All our underlicker head of states wey dey fall hands around the world no get respect for where oyibo dey.
Forget it men, we africans don fall hands around the world. Nothing pass to be original and be yourself o. Olorun.
Kim don do her own, trust me before next week maheeda, tonto dikeh and the rest of the mad africans will do their own with low budget shooting and chicken pox infested bodies plus stretch marks. Tell me why them no go ridicule us?
owwwwwch, yeh! Guy take am easy nao, they are just emulating their role models.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by 1Dray(m): 11:46am On Nov 15, 2014
jasper7:

Datz the point you are not getting. You expect the white man to hold a black woman who died almost 200years ago in high regard? Do we africans even hold ourselves in high regard?
We cannot go and be fighting oyibo for disrespecting us when we disrespect and embarrass ourselves everyday.
Have you ever sat down to ask yourself this question. Why is Mandela the most recognized black man ever? Because he challenged the white man and stood up for himself for decades. All our underlicker head of states wey dey fall hands around the world no get respect for where oyibo dey.
Forget it men, we africans don fall hands around the world. Nothing pass to be original and be yourself o. Olorun.
Kim don do her own, trust me before next week maheeda, tonto dikeh and the rest of the mad africans will do their own with low budget shooting and chicken pox infested bodies plus stretch marks. Tell me why them no go ridicule us?

Well said! cool
jasper7:

Well said!
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 15, 2014
fr3do:

abeg abeg abeg
show me one race where is no salvagery currently!
There is salvagery everywhere!

Its like you played with a lot of white doll babies cheesy

The word is 'savage', not 'salvage'. But don't worry, I get your idea

So you agree that there is savagery everywhere? Thank God - at least we're on the same page as that's concerned. cheesy
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by iamodenigbo1(m): 12:03pm On Nov 15, 2014
PapiWata:

You ain't lyin' my brother. Nigeria is home to some of the most amazingly beautiful and toned African women these grateful eyes have ever beheld, BUT, the makers of Nigerian films, SO tragically, go out of their way to select only the most hideously grotesque and out-of-shape female baboons ever gathered for one purpose since the dawn of time. And when I say UGLY, I refer to sort of stomach-churning, viscerally nauseating, wobbly-lard nastiness that could ever infest a nightmare to induce sudden death by virtue of sheer terror alone.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by fr3do(m): 12:49pm On Nov 15, 2014
jesuslovesme123:

The word is 'savage', not 'salvage'. But don't worry, I get your idea

So you agree that there is savagery everywhere? Thank God - at least we're on the same page as that's concerned. cheesy

I'm not going to correct it, make e dey like that.

Screaming africans are savages wont reduce the jungle justice on the streets but it will produce more self haters like papywater and jasper.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by PapiWata: 12:52pm On Nov 15, 2014
fr3do:

I'm not going to correct it, make e dey like that.

Screaming africans are savages wont reduce the jungle justice on the streets but it will produce more self haters like papywater and jasper.

Kai, Fredo don kill me finish today. Anyway, diariz God, and na only you fit wakka come begin dey insult a whole Double Chief like me.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by Ethereal0110(f): 1:11pm On Nov 15, 2014
i have read about that tribe before.....
Olaone1:
Just read this disheartening rubbish written in the ultra Right-wing British paper called the Daily Mail. I can't be a***d to paste the exceedingly disgusting piece here. Be clever and see how the piece is worded. This is low even for the Daily Mail. Sad! angry angry

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2834564/The-19th-Century-Kim-Hottentot-Venus-s-big-bottom-sparked-global-scandal-200-years-certain-Miss-Kardashian.html
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by fr3do(m): 1:11pm On Nov 15, 2014
maestroferddi:
I have just read the article and just cannot situate the jumpiness that is being displayed here.

First of all, the article was a contribution by a South African white writer. The piece is, in all intents and purposes, a quasi- historical narrative of life in time of slavery. Granted that it is unsavoury, but we can't wish the fact of slavery away:it did happen. A better argument would have been to show that the author's account reflected historical inaccuracies.

I did not see where the article drew parallels between Kim K's predilection to flaunt nudity to African culture. Instead, the author was highlighting the fact that people have almost always been drawn to curiosity. He juxtaposed Baartman's case of over 200 years ago with the stir Kim K is causing at the moment. I just cannot see the connection with racism.

if it were a black writer, I would have accused them of internalized racism.
Slavery happened, history is not going to change but the way it is appreciated changes. The writer wrote as if its the 1940s, he made the way the south african woman was brutalised seem normal, the writer potrayed her people as somewhat subhumans when he explained the whole storing of fat after drought.

Oga, you wouldnt be narrow-minded if you see this article as what it really is- Nastily racist and insensitive.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by fr3do(m): 1:14pm On Nov 15, 2014
PapiWata:

Kai, Fredo don kill me finish today. Anyway, diariz God, and na only you fit wakka come begin dey insult a whole Double Chief like me.

lol, its an anonymous forum
your double chieftaincy dey your back pocket.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by maestroferddi: 1:29pm On Nov 15, 2014
fr3do:

if it were a black writer, I would have accused them of internalized racism.
Slavery happened, history is not going to change but the way it is appreciated changes. The writer wrote as if its the 1940s, he made the way the south african woman was brutalised seem normal, the writer potrayed her people as somewhat subhumans when he explained the whole storing of fat after drought.

Oga, you wouldnt be narrow-minded if you see this article as what it really is- Nastily racist and insensitive.
Most of what passes as an attempt to assert black consciousness is actually gravitating towards victimhood.

Why the narcissism with Western view of Africa? Does it mean that we need the whites to validate our originality and orientation?

The writer depicted a situation where Europeans two century removed were displaying derision and stereotypes about Africans. He went forward to point out that the very stereotypes the people were disdaining end up being aped by the same ignorant people some years later. One can surmise that he was averring that people tend to denigrate what they don't understand or better still that people hide under bigotry to display insecurity and inadequacies.

I personally believe that we Africans should get our acts right instead of continually being engrossed with subjective opinions of others. The moment we start doing the needful, our susceptibility to the vagaries of human perceptions would be diminished considerably.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by PapiWata: 1:41pm On Nov 15, 2014
maestroferddi:
Most of what passes as an attempt to assert black consciousness is actually gravitating towards victimhood.

Why the narcissism with Western view of Africa? Does it mean that we need the whites to validate our originality and orientation?

The writer depicted a situation where Europeans two century removed were displaying derision and stereotypes about Africans. He went forward to point out that the very stereotypes the people were disdaining end up being aped by the same ignorant people some years later. One can surmise that he was averring that people tend to denigrate what they don't understand or better still that people hide under bigotry to display insecurity and inadequacies.

I personally believe that we Africans should get our acts right instead of continually being engrossed with subjective opinions of others. The moment we start doing the needful, our susceptibility to the vagaries of human perceptions would be diminished considerably.

So you are saying in essence, free your mind, and your asz will follow.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by fr3do(m): 1:48pm On Nov 15, 2014
maestroferddi:

you still dont just get it.
No one is disagreeing with the fact that there was slavery, bigotry, curiousity...
I personally have watched movies, read novels that talked about slavery and colonialism intoto, I was entertained and educated, they were written by sensible authors.
I would speak out audibly when one's subjective opinion about what concerns me is a fallacy or told in a fallacious way, so the man beside me wont be misinformed, I might go the extra mile by telling my own story.
The disturbing fact is that such subjective opinions like the author's somehow find their way to platforms we consider objective, this is very dangerous.
No one would break a sweat if this article was posted on a racist forum like 4chan.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by Olaone1: 1:59pm On Nov 15, 2014
maestroferddi:
Don't you think it is rash to make a sweeping generalisation about The Daily Mail just because of an ill-conceived article?

I am an avid reader of the paper and to me they are among the best in the world.
An avid reader yet you don't know their editorial thrust? undecided undecided
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 15, 2014
maestroferddi:
Don't you think it is rash to make a sweeping generalisation about The Daily Mail just because of an ill-conceived article?

Lol, if the toilet paper, Daily Mail, is the best to you in the world - then you need brain surgery to fix ya IQ.

Only airheads with brain fart, and nutjobs read daily mail. And by their thought process, we know them lol.

Anyway, when a m.oron like Piers Morgan becomes ya editor, then you know you take pride in being as useless as Sun Newspaper.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by fr3do(m): 2:22pm On Nov 15, 2014
maestroferddi:

what do our people watch and listen to?
Is it not mostly media run by the whites?

The other day, a lecturer said something like '' in america, things are done orderly, here in Nigeria, we are all monkeys hopping about, yes we are all monkeys''

I shouted '' sir, speak for yourself''

you do not know the psychological effects of bad media. It will likely make you pessimistic and an unbeliever.
There is an observation that majority of our vastly read minds are internalized racists and self haters.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by LORDI(m): 2:43pm On Nov 15, 2014
maestroferddi:

your opinion tho,.
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by LORDI(m): 2:48pm On Nov 15, 2014
fr3do:

what do our people watch and listen to?
Is it not mostly media run by the whites?

The other day, a lecturer said something like '' in america, things are done orderly, here in Nigeria, we are all monkeys hopping about, yes we are all monkeys''

I shouted '' sir, speak for yourself''

you do not know the psychological effects of bad media. It will likely make you pessimistic and an unbeliever.
There is an observation that majority of our vastly read minds are internalized racists and self haters.
totally true,their media's have subjected our minds with thought's we are inferior when compared to them...Just imagine what a lecturer is saying,,proudly calling himself a monkey.smh
Re: This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty by ak47mann(m): 3:07pm On Nov 15, 2014
jasper7:
I have read that article and dailymail just shared a piece of history. Not as if they were saying fiction. The thing the african folk always fail to understand is we can never be like the whites. We cannot be better than them cos we try everything within our power to be like them. We have forgotten ourselves, our tradition and culture is lost in the chaos of the mad african. We have to be ourselves to be the best. Shikena!
correct man cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

FACT: It Was PDP That Promised To Make Nigeria Ungovernable In 2011, Not Buhari. / Southeast: The Time Is Now! / If US Can Strike Iran Commander, That Means They Can Strike Nigeria President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.