Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:43 AM

19Ebisco's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 19Ebisco's Profile / 19Ebisco's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (of 7 pages)

Politics / OBJ, Atiku Alliance Will Fail – Oshiomhole by 19Ebisco: 5:47am On Dec 06, 2018
The national chairman of the governing All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, has said that the new political romance between former president Olusegun Obasanjo (OBJ) and his then estranged vice, Atiku Abubakar, will not last beyond February next year.

Oshiomhole said that the past misdeeds of Obasanjo (OBJ) and his foe-turned friend, who is the standard bearer of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, will work against them at the February 2019 presidential election.

Citing the curse Obasanjo earlier placed on himself if he supports Atiku for the presidency because of the latter’s alleged betrayal of the trust he placed on him, Oshiomhole said that now that the former president had eaten his words, the duo would certainly receive God’s punishment which would translate to President Muhammadu Buhari humiliating them at the presidential race next year.

Oshiomhole dismissed the grievances and anti-party activities of the governors of Ogun and Imo states, Ibikunle Amosun and Rochas Okorocha respectively as he asserted that the APC had emerged stronger without them.

He assured APC’s’ supporters in Imo and Ogun that the national and state organs of the party would work hard to ensure the victory of the governorship candidates without Amosun and Okorocha.

The APC chairman stated this yesterday when he received APC women leaders from Edo State in his office in Aso Drive, Abuja.

Oshiomhole recalled that Obasanjo swore that God should punish him if he ever supports Atiku to become Nigeria’s president.

Asked of his fears for 2019 elections, he said: “I will rather tell you my hopes and that is that Buhari will win by getting more votes than he got before. Nobody has said that Buhari is a thief, but who said that the other person is a thief was the person he worked with.

“If you are working with me and I said that you are thief, that God will punish me if I support you and when you are confused because your supply line has been chopped off and you enter a new deal, come back to say I now support you, that God you invoked with your name to punish you if you support that person is about to go to work and He will go to work in February next year. He will punish you thoroughly and punish the person he is supporting in favour of Nigeria,” he said.

While describing the governors as poor students of history who had forgotten where they came from to join the APC, Oshiomhole declared that some APC governors no longer have electoral value.

He said: “Our popularity in Imo and Ogun states is much higher. What you don’t know and Nigerians always make me surprise by thinking that once you are a governor, you have electoral value. Yes, we have overwhelming majority of the APC governors with electoral value, but we also have others without electoral value.

“I can confidently tell you today that in Imo State, APC will win more votes. As I said, it is about numbers and my focus is about the ordinary Imo electorate because the governor, his commissioner for happiness and the son in-law have only one vote on that day.

“But those mechanics, market women, school teachers and workers, whose salaries are unpaid for years, have the same weight of votes. They are excited about the new possibilities of a new government coming with new ideas free from all the encumbrances of the present system. I am very confident in Imo.

“Also, in Ogun State, don’t forget that the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo is from that state. We cannot focus on one person and not on the other. Ogun is one of the most enlightened states in the country and that is where the late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, came from. They have a huge history in a political kingdom headed by one person.

“When a child runs out of his father’s house to bear a new name, according to history and the Bible, he returns when the weather thoroughly beats him as a prodigal son. That is why APC has prodigal sons. Those who think that their political future is not tied to the party are poor students of history.

“They forget that some of these people thinking that they are invisible have run elections before and lost deposit until they abandoned their parties and joined us. If they return back, history will repeat itself,” he said.

Odigie-Oyegun Expresses Sadness Over Instability In APC

Meanwhile, Oshiomhole’s predecessor, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, has appealed to the political class and general public to exercise restraint as the general elections approach and be ready to make sacrifices in the interest of the country.

Odigie-Oyegun expressed sadness over the current crisis rocking the APC, even as he expressed the confidence that the ongoing peace moves would yield the expected results.

He spoke with newsmen for the first time since he left office at his Abuja residence yesterday.

According to him, he does not know anyone who is happy with the raging instability in the party and called for compromises for peace to reign in the APC.

Odigie-Oyegun said: “We need to begin to confront the elections in February next year which given the state of the nation, are bound to be challenging” even as he appealed that efforts be made to enthrone peace such that the party would approach the race as a united force.

When asked whether he was disturbed about the situation, he replied: “Well I can say something for sure that I am not happy as to the state of peace or the instability in the party. I don’t think I know someone who is happy today about that but like I said earlier there are peace missions that I have found all over the country and so at this point it will be improper for me to start saying that things went bad because that happened or because that did not happen. As a statesman, let me not start passing my own personal judgement where there is a team out trying to broker peace, I won’t be helping the situation.”

PDP Mobilises North Central For Atiku At Ilorin Rally

For the opposition PDP, the need to replace the APC-led federal government took the centre stage of its North Central zonal presidential campaign in Ilorin, Kwara State yesterday.

The first shot was fired by the director-general of the Atiku/Obi Campaign Organisation and Senate president, Dr. Bukola Saraki, who said that the APC administration had failed in all facets of governance.

While asking Nigerians to vote Buhari and the APC out of power next year, Saraki lamented that the party had failed to deliver on all its 2015 campaign promises.

Saraki said: “APC promised Nigeria a lot of things. They promised us security. Then we had security problem only in the Northeast but now it has extended to North Central and even the Northwest. APC has failed because security has worsened.

“People are dying of hunger because the economy has gone terribly bad. They have also failed in fighting corruption. Nigeria is today the world’s poverty capital. We need a president who will fix the economy, create jobs and unite Nigerians.

“This APC government must go because events of the past three years had shown that they don’t have the solutions to these problems. We must vote this government out and elect Atiku as our next president. My people of Kwara and North Central, we must vote out Buhari. Atiku is the solution to Nigeria’s problem.”

In his speech, Atiku lamented that Nigeria has gone worse under the APC, hence the need to provide an alternative administration which can make things work again in the country.

He said: “They promised us security, jobs, and to improve the economy, but in each of these, they failed. It is time for our people to return PDP to power because Nigeria was good when the PDP was in power.

“Today, in terms of economy, Nigeria is the poorest in the world. These are facts from international organisations. The security situation has become terribly bad.”

Atiku alleged plans by the APC to buy Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) from people as a way of perpetrating electoral fraud and urged Nigerians to guard against the plan so as not to mortgage their future and that of their children.

The PDP national chairman, Prince Uche Secondus, lauded the large turnout of the people for the rally noting that Nigerians had been suffering since the APC took over power in 2015.

He said: “Look at the genocide in Benue and Plateau States and no arrest was made. APC is a government of propaganda. They can’t fool Nigerians again,” adding that Atiku has experience in both private and public sectors that he can use to return Nigeria to the path of glory and a buoyant economy.

The chairman of the organising committee for the rally who doubles as Kwara State PDP secretary, Alhaji Rasaq Lawal, thanked the people for turning out in large number to honour their illustrious son, Dr. Bukola Saraki.

Describing the rally as a huge success, Lawal asked the people to repeat the feat at the 2019 elections by voting massively for all the PDP’s candidates.

The PDP flags were presented to the gubernatorial candidate of the party in Kwara, Barr Razak Atunwa, and his counterparts from the states in North Central zone at the rally.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/06/obj-atiku-alliance-will-fail-oshiomhole/

Celebrities / WWE Legend, Dynamite Kid Dies Of Injuries by 19Ebisco: 11:13pm On Dec 05, 2018
British World Wrestling Entertainment, WWE legend, Tommy Billington, widely known as Dynamite Kid, is dead.

Dynamite kid who became a huge hit with fans in the 1980s, died on his 60th birthday on Wednesday.

The wrestler from Golborne, Lancashire, made his name with Stampede Wrestling in Canada, and also worked in Japan.

He was one half of the British Bulldogs, along with his cousin Davey Boy Smith.

But the World Wresting Entertainment (WWE) star had battled various health problems in his later years and had spent the last few decades in a wheelchair following a series of injuries.

His trainer Marty Jones tweeted on Wednesday, “It’s with great sadness I have to inform you all that The ‘Dynamite Kid’ Tom Billington on his birthday has passed away.

“A true British ambassador for wrestling worldwide. RIP ‘Kid’. Condolences to Mark and his family.”

Smith’s son Davey Boy Smith Junior also said on Twitter this morning: “It deeply saddens me to announce the passing of Tom Billington, the ‘Dynamite Kid’.”

“I was really happy and glad I got to see Dynamite one last time last June in the UK.”

Dynamite Kid had spent the last few decades in a wheelchair following a series of injuries‏.

His career nearly ended in agony when he broke his back in the ring in 1986 at Madison Square Garden in New York and was told he would never wrestle again.

But he fought back to wrestle with WWF for another five years and was hailed as a legend – before resigning following a dispute over complimentary plane tickets.

He carried on wrestling in Canada and Japan until 1991, but took part in his final match in October 1996. One year later he lost the use of his left leg.

Billington was told he would never walk again, and then suffered a series of heart problems – before having a stroke in November 2013. He died Wednesday morning.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/05/wwe-legend-dynamite-kid-dies-of-injuries/

1 Like 1 Share

Crime / Six Lecturers Kidnapped In Osun, One Shot Dead by 19Ebisco: 3:33pm On Dec 05, 2018
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Fimihan Adeoye in a telephone conversation with Daily Trust confirmed the attack.

The police chief said his men were on the trail of the kidnappers and that the whole area had been condoned off so that the kidnappers would not escape.

CP Adeoye confirmed the death of one of the College staff and that four others were in captive.

He also confirmed that one of his policemen who was shot by the kidnappers had been taken to hospital for treatment.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/05/six-lecturers-kidnapped-one-shot-dead-in-osun/

1 Share

Celebrities / Comedian Kevin Hart To Host 2019 Academy Awards by 19Ebisco: 2:01pm On Dec 05, 2018
Comedian Kevin Hart, who has long said that he would like to one day host the Academy Awards, will serve as M.C. for the 91st Oscars ceremony on Feb. 24.

“I am so happy to say that the day has finally come for me to host the Oscars,” Hart wrote on Instagram.

The Academy Awards are the film industry’s highest honours.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which organises the Oscars and normally announces the host, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Hart, 39, follows talk show host Jimmy Kimmel who took on the gig in 2018 and 2017.

“I am blown away simply because this has been a goal on my list for a long time,” Hart wrote on his Instagram page.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/05/comedian-kevin-hart-to-host-2019-academy-awards/

Politics / EFCC Set To Arraign Ex-kebbi Gov Dakingari by 19Ebisco: 2:24pm On Dec 04, 2018
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, will on December 6, 2018, arraign a former governor of Kebbi State, Usman Saidu Dakingari before a Federal High Court, Birnin-Kebbi, on a 13-count charge of conspiracy and money laundering.

Dakingari will be arraigned along with Sunday Dogonyaro and Garba Rabiu Kamba for allegedly conniving to collect the sum of N450 million (Four Hundred and Fifty Million Naira) only part of the $115 million (One Hundred and Fifteen Million Dollars) allegedly “shared” by the a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Deizani Alison-Madueke for the purpose of influencing the 2015 general election.

Dakingari and his co-defendant’s arraignment suffered series of adjournment due to their persistent absence.

On the last adjourned date, Justice Simone Amobeda gave the absentee defendants the last chance to appear before the court and take their pleas otherwise, he would “grant the prosecution’s prayers and invoke section 394 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015 for the court to issue a bench warrant for their arrest”.

One of the charges reads: “Usman Saidu Dakingari on or about the 27th March 2015 at Kebbi within the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court made a cash payment of the sum of N49,640,000 (Forty Nine Million, Six Hundred and Forty Thousand Naira Only) to Alhaji Haruna Haruna without transacting through a financial institution and thereby committed an offence contrary to section 18 (a) of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act, 2011 (as amended) and punishable under section 16 (2)(b) of the same Act”.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/04/efcc-set-to-arraign-ex-kebbi-gov-dakingari/

Politics / Buhari Speaks On Collapsed Building In Port Harcourt by 19Ebisco: 9:25am On Dec 01, 2018
President Muhammadu Buhari has reacted to the collapse of a seven-storeyed building under construction in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

DAILY POST reports that about thirty-six people have so far been rescued from the rubble of the collapsed 7-storeyed building in GRA, Port Harcourt as four bodies were pronounced dead.

Buhari in a statement issued on Friday by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, commiserated with the people and government of Rivers State, over the loss of lives following the collapse of the building.

The President expressed sadness over the news as he shared in the grief of families who lost loved ones.

He prayed that God comforts them and also prayed for the quick recovery of those who sustained injuries.

Adesina further stated that President Buhari commended the state government for the urgent steps taken to unravel the cause of the accident, provide healthcare for victims and ensure safety in the future.

Meanwhile, Governor Wike during a visit to the site on Sunday ordered his Attorney-General to ensure that those who put up the plan of the building are brought to book.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/01/buhari-speaks-on-collapsed-building-in-port-harcourt/

Politics / APC Crisis: Okorocha Reveals His ‘issues’ With Oshiomhole by 19Ebisco: 10:01am On Nov 30, 2018
The Governor of Imo State, Rochas Okorocha has revealed his problem with the National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Adams Oshiomhole.

Okorocha said his ‘issue’ with Oshiomhole was that he allegedly “stole the mandate” of the people of the state and “gave it away for reasons best known to him.”

He said this during a meeting with APC Reconciliation Committee led by the Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje in Owerri, the state capital, yesterday.

The governor stated that the name APC presented as its governorship candidate was not the choice of people of the state.

According to Okorocha, Oshiomhole gave the party’s tickets in the state to people who are not members of APC.

He said: “There shouldn’t have been a crisis in the party because of the affinity of the members. We are like one big family. When we came in 2011, it was a miracle.

“The who-is-who in Imo politics were against us, but we won that election. We moved from the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) to APC because of the name of President Muhammadu Buhari, which is synonymous with integrity. I am a foundation member of the APC. I suggested the name APC.

“When we started, we were called names; we were made to look like aliens in our state. This is the only state you have elected office holders that are of the APC extraction.

“Those Adams Oshiomhole gave the tickets were not APC members. The worst political injustice in the history of Nigeria happened in Imo.

“The only reason these people are here is because of President Buhari, not because they have benefitted. The issue we have is with Adams Oshiomhole. He stole the mandate of the people and gave it away for reasons best known to him. The people here are concerned because the name of the person on APC ticket is not the candidate of their choice.

“Let me make bold to say that this is not about the people here but across the breadth of the state. The name you hear is Uche Nwosu. But for me, all the speculations that I am leaving APC is not true.

“All the state and local government executives are intact. We have done everything to resolve the issue but it appears to have gone beyond repair. The situation at hand has gone beyond what we can manage.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/30/apc-crisis-okorocha-reveals-his-issues-with-oshiomhole/

Politics / NEMA Vs House Of Reps: ASJA Makes Case For Osinbajo, Maihaja by 19Ebisco: 5:36pm On Nov 29, 2018
The Advocates of Social Justice for All (ASJA), has exonerated Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo and the National Emergency Management, NEMA under Engr. Mustapha Maihaja of any wrong doing.

The organsation pointedly said the accusations leveled against the Vice President and Engr Maihaja were politically motivated.

Rising from its 7th Extra Ordinary Meeting held in Abuja on Thursday, the group claimed that from available records, the management of NEMA under Engr. Maihaja has repositioned the operations of NEMA for effective service delivery through the introduction of tangible innovations in the past two years, hence, the accusation of financial mismanagement was unfounded.

A communiqué jointly signed at the end of the meeting by Asogo Venatius, Executive Convener and Comrade Aaron Nwankwo Chairman, Fact Finding Committee, the organization insisted that some members of the green chamber were only using the investigation into the activities of the agency to settle political scores.

The group, therefore, advised the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara to settle his political battles in his state and not use his office to prosecute a personal fight.

The communiqué reads.

ASJA also found out that the era of transparency and accountability has replaced the period of financial recklessness in the operations of NEMA. The new leadership has engineered enough reforms in line with the President’s anti-corruption crusade and it is on course.

ASJA at its meeting found out that most of the allegations against NEMA by the House of Representatives stem from the lack of political/ financial patronage by the management of NEMA to the House of Representatives Committee on Emergency and Disaster Preparedness as the norm in times past. It was a common practice before now that NASS Committees are serviced with public funds by the corresponding units in the executive arm for the personal upkeep of members. But has been abolished by some heads of parastatals including NEMA under Engr. Maihaja.

ASJA is also of the opinion that the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogora has shown tremendous interest in the activities of NEMA and is the brain behind the resolve by the Committee on Emergency and Disaster Preparedness to continue to churn out spurious allegations against the office of the Vice President and the DG of NEMA for political reasons.

ASJA also discovered from interactions with other critical stakeholders knowledgeable in the ensuing controversies that the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara is persecuting the DG of NEMA because of his closeness with the Governor of Bauchi State, and also for the reason that the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Yemi Osinbajo did not come to his rescue when he was neck deep in a political battle with the Governor of Bauchi State. Others have also alluded to the role played by the Vice President in the sack of Engr. Babachir Lawal as SGF.

But of more importance in the present rift was the uncovering of fraud running into billions of Naira that led to the suspension of some influential directors of the agency, most of whom are friends and cronies of members of the Committee on Emergency and Disaster Preparedness of the House of Representatives

ASJA discovered that NEMA since the assumption of office of Engr. Mustapha Maihaja has been able to block loopholes that were hitherto used to siphon funds into private pockets. This common practice has put off most of the senior civil servants who were before now contractors at the agency.

Given the background as mentioned above to the issues between NEMA and the House of Representatives, the Executives and members of the Advocates of Social Justice for All (ASJA) unanimously resolved on the following matter:

ASJA exonerates NEMA of any complicity in the allegations put forward by the Committee on Emergency and Disaster Preparedness of the House of Representatives.

ASJA also supports the reforms introduced by the management of NEMA led by Engr. Mustapha Maihaja in the past two years. These are bearing positive fruits as can be attested to by the various stakeholders across the country especially those in the disaster management sector.

ASJA confirms that NEMA is indeed positioned to respond to disaster situations in the country as evidenced in the management of the recent flooding in parts of the country.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/29/nema-vs-house-of-reps-asja-makes-case-for-osinbajo-maihaja/

Politics / Presidency Reacts To Siege On Akwa Ibom House Of Assembly by 19Ebisco: 11:40pm On Nov 27, 2018
Nigerian Presidency has reacted to the commotion witnessed in the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly.

It accused Governor Udom Emmanuel of instigating the mismanagement of the recent defection of five members of the state legislature from the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to the All Progressives Congress, APC.

Ita Enang, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Legislative Matters, made the allegation on Tuesday when he spoke on Channels TV’s Politics Today in Abuja.

Recall that the five lawmakers last week had their seats declared vacant by the Speaker of the House of Assembly, Luke Onofiok, for dumping the PDP.

In reaction, the expelled lawmakers stormed the legislative chambers early Tuesday and purportedly impeached Onofiok and equally suspended 11 other lawmakers.

However, Enang described Onofiok’s declaration of the six legislative seats vacant as faulty, said the Speaker’s inability to manage the defection of the lawmakers snowballed into the crisis witnessed in the legislative complex.

The Presidential aide also said the commotion did not begin until the arrival of Governor Udom Emmanuel and his sympathisers at the hallowed chambers.

Enang, who was Senator for 16 years under the platform of the PDP, said: “In the National Assembly, under the leadership of David Mark, there were defections from the APC to the PDP and from the PDP to the APC. There was no declaration of any seat vacant.

“Even under the leadership of distinguished Senator Saraki as President of the Senate, there were defections from APC to PDP and from PDP to APC. 14 senators defected from APC to PDP in one day. He (Saraki) managed it well.

“The same thing happened in the House of Representative; they are managing it well.

“Earlier this year, the only member of Akwa Ibom state House of Assembly elected under the platform of the APC defected to the PDP but his seat was not declared vacant.

“But when the lawmakers who were dissatisfied with the actions of the state government defected joined the APC, only then did the governor instigate that their seats should be declared vacant.

“This morning, according to events, the police did not lead anybody into the hallowed chamber of the state legislature. It only came in when the governor himself led his aides to the House of Assembly to interfere and stop proceedings and generally causing commotion there.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/27/presidency-reacts-to-siege-on-akwa-ibom-house-of-assembly/

1 Like

Politics / 2018 AWCON: Falcons Lock Horns With Lionesses For Final by 19Ebisco: 8:03am On Nov 27, 2018
In a repeat of 2016 Africa Women Cup of Nations (AWCON) final which the Super Falcons pipped their Cameroonian counterparts at their own backyard to record their eighth title, the two sides would once again battle in the semifinal of the 2018 AWCON at the Accra Sports Stadium for a place in the final, today.

The winner of today’s encounter also earns an automatic ticket to next year’s FIFA Women’s World Cup finals in France, with the loser having another opportunity to fight for the last ticket as the third placed team will also qualify for World Cup.

To reach the semifinal, Cup holders Nigeria after a 1-0 defeat to South Africa thrashed Zambia 4-0 in their second group B match to get back in contention before the 6-0 mauling of Equatorial Guinea on Saturday earned them another semifinal stage – a stage they have never failed to reach at the Women Africa Cup of Nations.

Speaking ahead of the clash, Falcons captain, Onume Obi, expressed confidence of reaching the final.

“We are not interested in the losers’ route,” Ebi stated. “We want to get to the final and to fight to retain our trophy. We want both the World Cup ticket and the AFCON trophy.”

Also, the team handler, Thomas Dennerby, said they are not expecting anything less than victory and a place in the final which will also guarantee the Falcons a slot to the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup finals in France.

Speaking at the pre –match conference, yesterday, Dennerby said: “Our preparation is good; we simply work on the team and we don’t change so much. We had a plan coming to the tournament and we stick to it. This is one of five games in total and our objective remains a place at the World Cup as well as defending the trophy.

“Our primary objective had always been qualifying for the World Cup. We have a good opportunity to achieve that tomorrow. We have to stick by our match plan and be fully focused. Victory and World Cup ticket tomorrow will make us more relaxed playing in the Final.”

On her part, Captain Onome Ebi said: “Whenever we play Cameroon, it is always a big fight. We are prepared for the big fight tomorrow and we are sure we will come out victorious. There is no doubt that the Cameroonians have improved from the team we defeated in Yaounde in 2016. But that is expected.

“Whatever the opposition, we study them and apply what is necessary for us to win. We are the champions and we know how to approach the game to get victory.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/27/2018-awcon-falcons-lock-horns-with-lionesses-for-final/

1 Like

European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Ronaldo Strikes Again As Juve Brush SPAL Aside by 19Ebisco: 6:41am On Nov 26, 2018
Juventus moved nine points clear at the top of Serie A with a 2-0 win over SPAL at the weekend as Cristiano Ronaldo’s strike made him the league’s joint-top scorer.

Goals either side of the break from the Portugal international and Mario Mandzukic earned Juve their 12th win of an unbeaten start to the league season, with Ronaldo joining Genoa striker Krzysztof Piatek on nine goals.

Massimiliano Allegri’s side have now collected 37 points from a possible 39 and hold a significant lead over second-placed Napoli on 28 points ahead of their game against Chievo on Sunday.

Juventus appeared to have taken the lead after just 10 minutes when SPAL defender Felipe deflected a cross into his own net, but the effort was disallowed after Mandzukic was penalised for encroaching in the penalty box as Alfred Gomis took his goal kick in the build-up.

After half an hour, Ronaldo opened the scoring with a controlled left-footed finish into the corner from Miralem Pjanic’s free kick, becoming the first player since Pietro Anastasi in 1968-69 to reach nine goals in 13 games for the club.

Juventus, one of three teams in Europe’s top five leagues to have scored in every league game this season along with Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain, doubled their lead on the hour mark shortly after Douglas Costa had rattled the post from a tight angle.

Costa’s powerful shot was parried by Gomis into the path of Mandzukic, who tapped in from close range on the night that he captained Juventus from the start for the first time.

Ronaldo threatened to add a second, forcing Gomis into a smart save from distance before shooting wide from a promising position as Juventus strolled to a comfortable victory.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/26/ronaldo-strikes-again-as-juve-brush-spal-aside/

Politics / Buhari Vs Atiku: North-east Governors State Position Ahead Of 2019 Election by 19Ebisco: 11:15pm On Nov 25, 2018
All Progressives Congress (APC) Governors from the North-East say President Muhammadu Buhari deserves a second term in office based on his performance so far.

They gave the endorsement at the end of a two-day APC North-East zonal meeting in Bauchi on Sunday.

Governors, who attended the meeting in Bauchi, included Kashim Shettima of Borno, Bindow Jibrila of Adamawa, Mohammed Abubakar of Bauchi, former governors Isa Yuguda of Bauchi and Modu Sheriff of Borno, among others.

Governor Shettima said the President has done extremely well, and that the sub-region has benefitted from his administration.

“We all know the sorry state of the country, we are the net beneficiaries of President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration in terms of appointment, securing lives and properties and projects.

“Because the Mambilla hydropower project in Gembu Taraba alone is game changer in this part of the world.

“Therefore North-east is Buhari’s territory, believe me the sub-region will solely back him in 2019 general election,” said.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/25/buhari-vs-atiku-north-east-governors-state-position-ahead-of-2019-election/

15 Likes 1 Share

Sports / Eagles’ Debut, A Dream Come True – Chukwueze by 19Ebisco: 6:17am On Nov 23, 2018
Villarreal winger Samuel Chukwueze has described his international debut for the men’s senior national team as the completion of a “dream year.”

The 19-year-old’s skill and impressive left foot caught the eye after starting for the Super Eagles in Tuesday’s 0-0 friendly stalemate against Uganda at the Stephen Keshi Stadium, in Asaba.

Chukwueze is enjoying a breakthrough season, scoring in both the League and Spanish Cup despite only earning promotion to the first team from the reserves.

“Making my debut for Nigeria only completes a dream year in my professional life,” he told BBC Sport.

“I’ve played and scored for Villarreal this year, and I never expected to get a chance to get into the Super Eagles team, but everything is happening like a dream.

“Some people wait for several years to live a dream but I am grateful to Villarreal and Nigeria for making all my dreams happen in under a year.”

A FIFA under-17 World Cup winner with Nigeria in 2015, he has been likened to his hero and Bayern Munich’s former Netherlands international winger Arjen Robben.

Chukwueze joins a growing list of Nigeria’s U-17 World Cup winners who have progressed to the Super Eagles squad.

http://www.mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/eagles-debut-dream-come-true-chukwueze.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Politics / EFCC Arraigns 22 INEC Staff, Ex-director For Alleged N32m Fraud by 19Ebisco: 8:23am On Nov 22, 2018
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arraigned 22 officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and a retired INEC director, Ahmed Stephen Ozouche, in Kogi State for offences bordering on criminal conspiracy.

They were arraigned before Justice Alaba Ajileye of the Kogi State High Court, Koton-Karefee.

It was alleged that sometimes in March 2015, the defendants engaged themselves in criminal act of conspiracy to fraudulently obtain the sum of N32, 120,000 (Thirty-two Million, One Hundred and Twenty Thousand Naira) only as benefits to themselves during the 2015 general elections.

Prosecuting counsel, G.K. Latona, informed the court that the matter was slated for arraignment. "However, due to the absence of the second defendant, I will be seeking for a short adjournment to enable me determine the next step to take regarding the matter," he said.

A statement signed by the head of media and publicity unit of the commission, Tony Oriade, said that "The defendant was said to be among the INEC staff that lost their lives in a tragic motor accident that occurred in Kogi recently.'

The defence team, however, argued that "the prosecution ought to have known by now that the second defendant cannot be in court to take his plea", and so urged the court to take the plea of the defendants in court. Justice Ajileye, thereafter, ordered those present should take their pleas.

One of the counts reads: "That you Ahmed Stephen Ozovehe, Retired Director with Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)/ Election Observer, Adison Mailafiya Administrative Secretary INEC Kogi State and Ogwudu Edeh Micheal, Deputy Director, INEC sometime in March 2015 in Lokoja within the Jurisdiction of this Honorable Court did engage yourselves in criminal conspiracy to confer benefit of the sum of N32,120,000 (Thirty two million, one hundred and twenty thousand naira) only from Haliru Haruna, Sase David Z, Dauda Usman Umaru, Christopher Utile, Garba Zubairu Adamu and James Yiyeh all electoral officers of INEC in Kogi State in relation to their function of conducting the General Elections, 2015 and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 26(1)(i) of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offenses Act. 2000 and punishable under Section 10(a)(ii) of the same Act."

They all pleaded "not guilty" when the charge was read to them.

They were afterwards admitted to bail in the sum of N10 million, one surety in like sum, the surety must not be below level 12 and must be a Civil Servant (State or Federal).

The matter has been adjourned to December 6 and 13, 2018 for hearing.

In another related development, the EFCC also arraigned Helena Chinelo Odogwu a cash officer at United Bank for Africa, Adankolo Branch Lokoja, before Justice Ajileye on a one-count charge bordering on theft and misappropriation of N8 million ( Eight Million naira) only.

It was alleged by a petitioner that the defendant stole from the vault and misappropriated the said sum of money when she was the cash officer.

In the course of the investigation, it was discovered that N8m was missing from the vault and the defendant manipulated the record of the bank to conceal the fraudulent act.

The charge reads: "That you Helena Chinelo Odogwu on or about the 17th day of July, 2018 in Lokoja within the Jurisdiction of this Honourable Court while being the cash officer of Adankolol branch of United Bank of Africa (UBA) Lokoja, stole the sum of Eight Million Naira (N8, 000,000) being money belonging to the United Bank for Africa and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 286 of the Penal Code Law and punishable under Section 287 of the same Act."

The defendant pleaded "not guilty" to the charge.

The defendant was thereafter admitted to bail in the sum of N5m, one surety in like sum; surety must not be below the level of a principal officer.

The matter has been adjourned to December 13, 2018, for hearing.

http://www.mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/efcc-arraigns-22-inec-staff-ex-director.html

Politics / Details Of Buhari’s Meeting With Southeast Govs, Ekweremadu Emerge by 19Ebisco: 10:11pm On Nov 21, 2018
President Muhammadu Buhari has assured that all ongoing federal projects in the South East will be funded, saying that the seven-month delay in passing this year’s budget will not serve as an excuse.
The President gave the assurance during a meeting with South-East Governors and the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, on Wednesday at State House, Abuja.

He pledged that the Federal Government would sustain the support to the South-East in terms of infrastructure.
‘‘I assure you that we are doing our best and will not default on the agreements signed on ongoing projects,’’ the President told the delegation, led by Deputy Senate President Ekweremadu.

He explained that part of the noticeable problems in the delay in the execution of the capital projects was caused by the budget hold-up.
He said: ‘‘When you sign, and you don’t pay, they (contractors) can legally jerk up their costs. This is part of the problem.
‘‘The infrastructure budget is a deficit budget. The borrowing plan was only approved three weeks ago and all ministers and departments of government have been instructed to forge ahead. We must not find excuses for delaying the projects.

‘‘Developing infrastructure is the best thing we can do. When the roads are okay, the rails are established and there is power, Nigerians will flourish in their businesses.’’

On the undulating surface of the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, the President assured that it would be addressed in the new budget.

He also spoke of government’s serious interest in the new Port-Harcourt-Maiduguri standard gauge railway which traverses several states, including those in the South East.
President Buhari was accompanied to the meeting by the Secretary to the Government, Boss Mustapha and some cabinet ministers, including that of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi and Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola.

The president responded from point to point on all the issues raised by the governors, to their satisfaction.
The Minister of Transportation gave assurance that this project, the single most costly rail project at 12 billion dollars, would soon be coming to the Federal Executive Council (FEC).

The Ministers were directed to follow up with the private sector on key projects in the region, including the South East Dry Port and the Geometric Power Plant in Aba, to untangle the problems causing their delayed take-off.

On behalf of the Governors, Gov. Dave Umahi of Ebonyi said they came specifically to thank the President for the award of the contract for the major component of the second Niger Bridge at the cost of N206 billion.

‘‘The project is the dream of our people and it has become a dream come true. Our people said we must come and thank you. Your Excellency, Mr President we are grateful Sir,’’ he said.
While enumerating some challenges confronting the Governors to the President, Umahi said: ‘‘out of mutual respect, we have come to you as a caring leader to listen to us.’’
Other governors on the delegation were Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State and the Deputy Governor of Anambra State, Dr Nkem Okeke.

http://www.mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/details-of-buharis-meeting-with.html

Politics / What Buhari Said At Jonathan’s Book Launch by 19Ebisco: 9:07pm On Nov 20, 2018
President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday, hailed his predecessor, Dr Goodluck Jonathan, for conceding defeat following the 2015 general elections, describing him as a true democrat.

Buhari stated this while speaking at the launching of Jonathan’s new book titled “My Transition Hours”.

Represented by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, the president said Jonathan’s act of courage had made him a patriotic leader and earned popularity among Africans and other leaders.

“You are a leader of the past, of now and of the future; you will rise again; I wish you the best you wish yourself,” Buhari said.

He called on Nigerians to see elections as contests and should be done in free, fair and peaceful environment.

Buhari said Nigerians should eschew bitterness, bigotry, hate speech and “promote Nigeria for us and generation yet unborn”.

The event was graced by hundreds of prominent Nigerians, including former Heads of state Abdulsalam Abubakar, Yakubu Gowon, ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo and the PDP Presidential Candidate Atiku Abubakar.

The APC National Chairman Adams Oshiomhole, former Vice President Namadi Sambo, Senate President Bukola Saraki, ex-PDP governors and many members of the political class, traditional rulers and members of the diplomatic corps also graced the event.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/what-buhari-said-at-jonathans-book.html

Crime / How Police Hid Me In Toilet When Falana Visited – Evans by 19Ebisco: 3:01pm On Nov 19, 2018
Suspected kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, aka Evans, has recalled how the Police treated him when rights activist, Mr Femi Falana, SAN, stormed the office he was kept after his arrest in 2017.

Evans told Justice Adedayo Akintoye a Lagos High Court Judge in Igbosere that the police hid him in the toilet of office of the Lagos Coordinator of the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Response Team, Mr Phillip, a Chief Superintendent (CSP).

He alleged that the lawyer was contacted by his wife, (Uchenna Precious Onwuamadike) shortly after his arrest.

Evans made the claims on Friday while testifying in a trial within trial to determine whether his confessional statement to the police should be admitted by the court.

Lagos State Government which is prosecuting Evans on kidnapping, murder and attempted murder charges before the judge, insists the
suspect’s statement was voluntarily made.

Haruna, a member of the IGP Response Team which arrested Evans, said he never requested for a lawyer and none of his family members was present when the confessional statement was made.

“The statement was recorded in an open office. He (Evans) was cautioned in English and he narrated the story of his involvement in the kidnapping of victims”, Nation quoted him as saying.

CSP Phillip said: “The defendant was brought to my office after his statement was taken. I read the statement to him and asked him if he was forced to make the statement. He (Evans) said no.”

“Evans was in a good mood when he was brought before me by Inspector Idowu. He was very okay, he looked healthy, hence I asked him questions about the confessional statement.”

But, led in evidence by his counsel, Olanrewaju Ajanaku, Evans disputed their version of events.

He accused the police of assaulting him, and, after allegedly murdering several suspects in his presence in a “Saddam Hussein” style execution, he was terrorised into signing an already prepared confessional statement he never made.

Explaining Falana’s knowledge of his arrest, Evans said: “Immediately after my arrest, my wife called Femi Falana SAN, he came to SARS (Special Anti-Robbery Squad).”

He claimed that CSP Phillip told two armed policemen to hide him inside his office toilet and to tell the SAN that he (Evans) was not around.
Evans said: “I heard Phillip greet him, ‘Good afternoon sir.’ Falana said he wanted to see me.”

According to him, Phillip told the lawyer that he had been taken out for investigation, but the SAN warned the police against summarily executing him.

Evans, in tears, said: “Falana warned him that he did not want to hear that I had been taken for investigation only to be shot dead.

“He said he didn’t want to hear that I was trying to escape and then I was shot dead. He told them that if I had committed any offence, I should be charged to court.”

The defendant repeated his claims under cross-examination by prosecuting counsel, Mr Y. G. Oshoala.

Justice Akintoye adjourned till December 10 for continuation of trial.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/how-police-hid-me-in-toilet-when-falana.html

Health / Dr Olurotimi Badero: Only Heart & Kidney Specialist In The World by 19Ebisco: 7:40am On Nov 18, 2018
Dr Olurotimi John Badero made Nigeria proud after his recognition as the only fully trained and board certified cardio-nephrologist (combined kidney and heart specialist) in the world.

Dr. Badero is the Executive Director , Cardiac Renal & Vascular Associates. He is also the Medical Director of St. Joseph Hospice. He is on the global Advisory Board of the Therapeutics experts on Thrombosis and Atherosclerosis, Merck Pharmaceuticals U.S.A.

This genius and top Nigerian cardiologist based in New York Badero, has been named among the top interventional cardiologists in the United States, according to a prominent rating organisation for the medical profession in US.

Castle Connolly, the organisation which publishes a leading annual publication of distinguished US doctors listed Badero among the top US doctors based in the New York metro area which includes New York, New Jersey and Connecticut states.

The publication, the 15th edition dated 2012 was released recently. It reported that Badero, who earlier had been named among top US cardiologists, is one of the interventional cardiologists to reckon with in the US. Interventional Cardiology is deemed a rarefied specialty in medical practice, and fewer African-Americans and blacks are qualified in that field.

Education, Career & Personal Life

Badero who resides in the United States was born the seventh of nine children to Chief Eliab Olufemi Olujoye Badero and Stella Taiwo Badero and raised in Lagos and Ogun states, Nigeria.

Olurotimi which translates to God stands by me and God is always with me was the closest child to his father and traveled with him everywhere in the country . He hails from Isonyin-Ijebu in Ijebu North east area of Ogun State. His grandfather, Joshua OluBadero Onasoga passed away 5 days before his father’s one year birthday and his father later change his last name to Badero.

Badero attended St. Mary’s Private School Lagos . He received his secondary school education at Federal Government College Odogbolu, Ogun State. He was admitted to the Medical School at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State.

Following medical school, he completed his internship year at Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex at Ile-Ife.

He worked at General Hospital Isolo in Lagos to fulfill his one-year service requirement with the National Youth Service Corps. After this, he relocated to the United States where he completed three years of internal medicine residency training at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.

Badero was accepted at the Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta where he completed a two-year fellowship training in nephrology and hypertension.

Badero returned to SUNY Downstate to complete a three-year fellowship training in cardiovascular medicine.

Following this, he attended the Yale School of Medicine where he completed a fellowship in invasive & interventional cardiology and another in peripheral vascular intervention.

His father was a trained tailor who later became a typist and administrative manager at SCOA motors. His mother, a banker worked with Barclays Bank as a secretary in the early 1970s. Badero had a brush with death at the age of 4 when he was diagnosed with measles that almost claimed his life. Two years earlier, he lost his younger sister Olufunmilayo Abosede Badero to Bronchopneumonia when she was just eleven months old.

Awards And Achievements:

A top Nigerian cardiologist, Badero, based in New York, has been named among the top interventional cardiologists in the United States, according to a prominent rating organization for the medical profession here.

Castle Connolly, the organization which publishes an a leading annual publication of distinguished US doctors has listed Badero among the top US doctors based in the New York metro area which includes New York, New Jersey and Connecticut states.

The publication which is the 15th edition and dated 2012 was released recently, reporting that Badero, who earlier had been named among top US cardiologists, is one of the interventional cardiologists to reckon with in the US. Interventional Cardiology is deemed a rarefied specialty in medical practice, and fewer African-Americans and blacks are qualified in that field.

In all, Dr. Badero completed an unprecedented 10 years of continuous post- graduate medical training and he is currently board certified and a consultant in: Internal medicine, Nephrology & Hypertension

, Interventional Nephrology & Endovascular Access. Others are

Cardiovascular Medicine, Nuclear Cardiology and Invasive & Interventional Cardiology.

He performed the first transradial cardiac catheterisation and coronary angioplasty at Central Mississippi Medical Center.

Dr. Badero is a recipient of many awards including:

– The Association of Black Cardiologists scholarship award for the Best Cardiology Fellow in the U.S.

– The 2014 Mississippi Healthcare Heroes in the state of Mississippi.

– He was also named one of Jackson, Mississippi’s Best Surgeons.

Dr. Badero has authored many peer reviewed journals and he is currently on the editorial board of the International Journal of Nephrology & Renovascular Disease.

He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians, Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology, Fellow of the American College of Cardiology

, Fellow of the Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions.

In popular media:

Badero has featured in many magazines and articles including Jackson free press U.S.A., Financial Nigeria International, My green gene magazine as well as Avantgarde Magazine talking about Cardio-nephrology and emphasizing the interrelationship between cardiovascular disease (CVD) and chronic kidney disease (CKD).

He has also appeared on many TV networks and radio interviews including BBC promoting cardiovascular and renal health awareness in the U.S and in developing countries

Marriage

Badero is the assistant pastor at the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Vine Chapel Church in Mississippi. He is currently unmarried.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/dr-olurotimi-badero-only-heart-kidney.html

Politics / Buhari Makes New Appointments [full List] by 19Ebisco: 7:22pm On Nov 16, 2018
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of five Chief Executive officers and two Executive Directors of some Federal Agencies.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by Mr Olusegun Adekunle, Permanent Secretary (General Services) Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation on Friday in Abuja.

According to him, Mr Okechukwu Ukwuoma, Director-General, National Centre for Technology Management (NACETEM) is re-appointed for a final term of four years with effect from July 22.

Also, Prof. Victor Adetiloye, Chief Medical Director (CMD), Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital, Ile-Ife, was re-appointed for the final term of four years with effect from Sept. 22.

Buhari also approved the appointment of Amb. Abdul-Jalil Suleiman as the Director-General, Directorate of Technical Cooperation in Africa (DTCA), for an initial term of four years with effect from Sept. 17.

Also appointed was Dr Bassey Abasi as Chief Medical Director (CMD), University of Uyo Teaching Hospital, for an initial term of four years with effect from Sept. 22.

Capt. Junaid Abdullahi was appointment as the Executive Secretary, Border Communities Development Agency (BDCA) with effect from Sept. 22 for an initial period of four years.

The president also appointed Mrs Mojoyi Dekalu-Thomas as Executive Director (Liability Management) of Electricity Liability Management Company (NELMCO) for an initial term of four years with effect from Sept. 20.

Mrs Chinedum Olisakwe- Lawrence’s appointment was renewed as the Executive Director (Corporate Services) of Electricity Liability Management Company (NELMCO) for a second term of four years with effect from Sept. 20.

The President enjoined the appointees to regard their appointments as a call to National Service and to carry out their responsibilities with uprightness, diligence and prompt response to the yearnings of the public.

He also charged them to bring their wealth of experience to bear in the discharge of their duties.

http://www.ebiscoo.com/59/buhari-makes-new-appointments-full-list#125

1 Like 1 Share

European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Rooney Names Two Superstars In England Team by 19Ebisco: 11:20am On Nov 14, 2018
Manchester United legend, Wayne Rooney has identified striker, Harry Kane and forward, Raheem Sterling as the superstars in England team.

Rooney stated this ahead of The Three Lions’ international friendly clash with USA on Thursday.

“I think they’ve got superstars,” FourFourTwo quoted Rooney as saying at a pre-match press conference.

“Harry Kane has been top goalscorer in the Premier League for three or four years.

“Raheem Sterling in the last couple of years has been fantastic. I don’t think it’s fair to say the England team hasn’t got superstars.

“What you’re saying is we had some great established players: David Beckham, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry… why didn’t it work? I’ve no idea.

“We tried to be successful. We maybe never had the squad, we had the startling 11 which was very good but going into the tournament we maybe never had that back-up. But I think we had a great team, we were unlucky on a couple of occasions, going out on penalties.

“We gave our best; it wasn’t to be. It’s a chance now for this new generation of players to take up that mantle.”

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/rooney-names-two-superstars-in-england.html

Politics / LP Confirms Talks With Ogun APC Faction, May Give Amosun’s Candidate Guber Ticke by 19Ebisco: 9:35am On Nov 13, 2018
Labour Party (LP) in Ogun State on Monday said it may concede its gubernatorial ticket to Governor Ibikunle Amosun’s candidate, Adekunle Akinlade.

Akinlade lost the All Progressives Congress (APC) ticket to Dapo Abiodun.

LP Chairman in the state, Abayomi Arabambi, spoke on a radio programme tagged ‘Fact Finder’ on Sweet FM 107.1.

He confirmed ongoing talks between his party and the grieving Amosun-led bloc of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

The Chairman explained that the party was still within the constitutional right to substitute the name before the electoral umpire’s deadline.

He said, “There is hope for Triple A (Akinlade) and others, the constitution allows for substitution and I think we are still in tandem but nobody would tell me we have pseudo names.

“What we are saying is that, it is open to all political parties, when you have some parameters being satisfied in your political party, you’re satisfied to substitute so far it is still within the window.

“In the next two weeks, we are going to reveal and unveil our candidate from Ipokia local government; we have so many good hands in Ipokia, we are going to Ipokia for our governorship, it is sealed, signed and delivered.”

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/lp-confirms-talks-with-ogun-apc-faction.html

Politics / 'Atiku’s Harassment' : Shehu Sani Tells FG What To Do by 19Ebisco: 6:54am On Nov 12, 2018
The overzealous acts of the security personnel at the Abuja Airport against the former Vice President Atiku stands outrightly condemned.We have been through this in our history.Intimidation and harassment camouflaged as routine.The FG should be humble and apologize to him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShehuSani/status/1061706973866012678

16 Likes

Politics / Ogun 2019: Amosun Loses To Abiodun by 19Ebisco: 1:15pm On Nov 10, 2018
Ogun State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, has failed to persuade the National Working Committee of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, to replace the name of oil magnate, Dapo Abiodun, with that of his anointed candidate, Adekunle Akinlade, as the party’s governorship candidate in the 2019 elections.

According to the list of governorship candidates released by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday in Abeokuta, Akinlade’s name was not on the records of the electoral umpire.

This might have laid to rest the controversy over who flies the ruling party’s ticket between Akinlade and Abiodun whose candidature had been ratified by the national leadership of APC.

Noteworthy also is the fact that the names of the 26 candidates vying for Ogun State House of Assembly that were backed by Amosun were missing on the list of the assembly candidates.

For the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), a serving member of House Representative, Oladipopu Adebutu lost the governorship ticket to Shittu Adeleke.

Also on the list of 39 candidates from various political parties are, former Speaker of House of Representatives, Dimeji Bankole as flag bearer of the Action Democratic Party (ADP) and a two-time governorship candidate, Gboyega Nasiru Isiaka who now flies the ticket of the African Democratic Congress (ADC).

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/ogun-2019-amosun-loses-to-abiodun.html

Politics / Gandujegate: Investigate Justice Badamasi Over Order In Kano Gov’s Favour – Csos by 19Ebisco: 8:26am On Nov 10, 2018
Five civil society organisations, CSOs, have petitioned the National Judicial Council (NJC) calling for investigation into the circumstances surrounding Justice A. T. Badamasi’s granting of an order shielding the governor of Kano state, Abdullahi Ganduje, from being probed over allegations of bribe-taking against him.

A copy of the petition obtained on Friday by DAILY POST in Abuja was jointly signed by Deji Adeyanju (Concerned Nigerians), Nwazuruahu Henry Shield (Leadership & Accountability Initiative), Elder Chukwudi Ndem (Good Governance Group), Chinonso Obasi (African Students Education Support Initiative) and Hon Jabez Efosa Imasuen (Team Alliance Nigeria).

Recall that Justice Badamasi last Thursday granted the order restraining the Kano House of Assembly from investigating allegations of bribery and misconduct against Ganduje.

In a swift reaction, however, the CSOs described the order as mindboggling, adding that it raises questions regarding Justice Badamasi’s integrity, neutrality, competence and ability to fulfil his duties.

They further said that it was absurd that a court would grant an order restraining a legislature from exercising its powers of investigating issues regarding the award of contracts by the executive arm of government, the inflation of contract sums, the collection of illegal inducement to influence the award of the contracts, and other associated misconduct.

The petition dated November 9th, 2018 and addressed to the NJC Chairman, Justice Walter Onnoghen, reads: “We are aware that the National Judicial Council (NJC) is established by Section 153(1)(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and empowered by Item 21(d) of Part 1 of the 3rd Schedule thereto to “…exercise disciplinary control…” over judicial officers appointed further to the recommendations of the NJC as provided by Item 21(c).

“It is in furtherance of this objective that we write this petition against Justice A. T. Badamasi of the Kano State High Court regarding his grant of an Order of Interim Injunction restraining the Kano State House of Assembly from investigating allegations of bribery and misconduct against the Kano State Governor, Alhaji Abdullahi Umar Ganduje. This order was granted further to an application for same by Muhammad Zubair, National Coordinator of the group – Lawyers for Sustainable Democracy.

“We find it preposterous that a Court will grant an order restraining a State House of Assembly from exercising its powers of investigating issues regarding the award of contracts by the executive arm of government, the inflation of contract sums, the collection of illegal inducement to influence the award of the contracts, and other associated misconduct as provided for by Sections 128 & 129 of the Constitution.

“The grant of the Order by Justice Badamasi raises questions regarding his integrity, neutrality, his competence and his ability to fulfill the responsibilities expected of a Judge. It is mindboggling that a Judge would grant such a frivolous Order despite the very clear provisions of Section 128 & 129 of the Constitutions.

“We write to request that the NJC immediately commences an investigation into the circumstance surrounding the grant of this frivolous and unconstitutional Order. We believe that the Council owes itself, and all Nigerians, a responsibility to ensure that the judiciary does not become a tool with which to shield crimes, prevent the perpetrators of such crimes from facing the consequences of their actions as provided for by law and a vehicle through which to subvert the will of the Nigerian people.

“We believe that only the investigation of the circumstances surrounding the award of this Order and the punishment of anybody found complicit in any wrongdoing related thereto will restore the confidence of the Nigerian public in the impartiality of the judiciary and its insistence on upholding the provisions of our laws without fear, favour or hindrance.”

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/gandujegate-investigate-justice.html

Food / CPC Reveals What Nigerians Must Do Now Before Eating Beans by 19Ebisco: 6:03pm On Nov 09, 2018
The Consumer Protection Council (CPC) has advised Nigerians to wash their beans and cook same very well before consumption.

This is due to reports making the rounds that retailers now use snipers to preserve beans.

The Council in a statement released by its Director General, Mr Babatunde Irukera, and made available to DAILY POST, advised consumers to also make sufficient enquiries before engaging in new purchases.

CPC said consumers should sufficiently wash their food items before cooking, noting that “in any and every case, thoroughly washing food items before consumption or preparation for consumption is a generally accepted method of protecting and promoting safety.”

”CPC has recently confirmed by credible information that retailers, mostly in the open market are using a pesticide, 2,2-dichlorovinyl dimethyl phosphate (DDVP) compound, otherwise marketed and known as “Sniper” to preserve beans, and more particularly to eliminate or protect same from weevils.”

While cautioning consumers on the dangers of using unauthorised chemical to preserve food items, Irukera, said though cooking significantly reduces risk of exposure from pesticides, “as most are diminished under extended periods of direct heat in excess of 100 degrees, the best possible caution is to avoid subjecting food items to pesticides not in accordance with prevailing food safety regulations”.

He added that the Council was also collaborating with other relevant regulators to address the emergent situation.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/cpc-reveals-what-nigerians-must-do-now.html

7 Likes 12 Shares

Politics / New Minimum Wage: Why We Called Off Strike Despite Delayed Implementation – NLC by 19Ebisco: 7:37am On Nov 08, 2018
Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) in Enugu State, Comrade Virginius Nwobodo, has explained why labour halted the planned strike despite non immediate implementation of the new minimum wage.

Nwobodo in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday also spoke on labour’s plan to ensure states pay whatever is implemented by the federal government.

He said: “I must also commend the National leaders of NLC for deciding to suspend the strike since the tripartite committee had shown interest in convening and concluding their report.

“The decision to suspend the strike was the best thing the NLC leadership did because what is the essence of the strike again when our demand that prompted the planned strike had been met.

“If we had gone ahead with the strike pending the time the wage would be implemented, Nigerians will see us as insensitive to national issues and causing economic sabotage.”

Nwobodo said he was optimistic that the minimum wage would be fully implemented before the end of the month if the government was really sincere and interested in redeeming its image.

He urged that the speed with which the government had employed in addressing the issue should be maintained until its full implementation.

The Chairman said there would be mechanisms to ensure full enforcement and compliance at the state level if the minimum wage should be eventually implemented.

“There will be no sacred cow when it comes to the implementation of the new minimum wage regardless of whether the state governors agree or not,” he said.

He allayed the fears of those that are skeptical that such benefit was meant for the federal workers only and not the state since the governors had proposed a different amount.

“I assure you that nothing of such will happen. All workers in Nigeria will be beneficiaries of the new minimum wage and anything aside that will be resisted,” Nwobodo said.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/new-minimum-wage-why-we-called-off.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Celebrities / Nollywood Actress, Victoria Kolawole Attacked For Exposing Cleavage by 19Ebisco: 10:16pm On Nov 07, 2018
Yoruba actress, Victoria Kolawole who recently announced her engagement wasn't spared on social media after she exposed her luscious cleavage on Instagram.

Beautiful actress, Victoria Kolawole woke up the sleeping dogs when she shared this photo of herself with her cleavage in full display.

The picture was tagged "Stew", a popular slang used my younger folks to express their swagger.

Several fans on her page have disagreed with her as they believe the picture is indecent and puts her in bad light.

The light-skinned film producer and brand ambassador has resisted pressure to take down the contentious picture.

See some reactions below:

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/nollywood-actress-victoria-kolawole.html

Politics / Presidency: Warn Buhari Against Rigging Election – PDP Begs Prince Charles by 19Ebisco: 7:48pm On Nov 06, 2018
The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has urged Princes Charles to warn President Muhammadu Buhari against rigging 2019 elections.

PDP said the British prince should urge Buhari to accept his imminent defeat during the 2019 Presidential election.

In a statement by its spokesperson, Kola Ologbondiyan, the opposition party informed the British prince that the Buhari administration had reversed all the political and social gains made by Nigeria since independence.

The statement read, “The British leader to counsel President Buhari not to attempt to rig the 2019 Presidential election but be ready to accept his imminent defeat in the polls, since it is clear that Nigerians have rejected him because of his incompetence and his administration’s apparent disdain for their safety and wellbeing.

“The British leader is invited to note that the Buhari administration has reversed all the political and social gains made by Nigeria since independence while pushing the nation to the brinks with its anti-democratic tendencies and desperation to hang on to power beyond May 29, 2019.

“The Buhari administration has completely eroded the values of freedom of association, personal liberty, free speech, national cohesion, free enterprise, political tolerance and our stencils for economic growth. Instead, it has plunged our nation into avoidable security challenges and the worst economic recession, with attendant daily bloodletting, acute hunger and starvation, escalated joblessness, high mortality rate and unprecedented stress on families.

“Under the Buhari failed administration, our nation, once known for her robust economy and a happy citizenry, has become the home to world poorest persons; where opposition is an endangered specie and where citizens daily fall victims of arbitrary killing and mass burials, extra-judicial executions, illegal arrests and detention, extreme torture and reported disappearances, as captured in the reports by various world bodies.

“We therefore call on Britain to take a decisive steps to caution this administration and assist in rescuing our nation and returning it to the path of good governance and national stability, which has eluded her in the last three and half years.”

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/presidency-warn-buhari-against-rigging.html

10 Likes 1 Share

Politics / Here Is New Minimum Wage As NLC Suspends Nationwide Strike by 19Ebisco: 8:55am On Nov 06, 2018
Latest report as the organised labour unions have called off the planned nationwide industrial action initially scheduled to commence today to press home workers’ demand for a new national minimum wage.

Meanwhile the National Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Ayuba Wabba, announced the suspension last night in Abuja at the end of the last meeting of the tripartite committee set up to come up with the new minimum wage.

Wabba said the decision to suspend the action was reached after agreements were reached and documents signed.

“Having reached this position and agreements signed, the proposed strike action is hereby suspended,” he said.

Wabba however, refused to disclose the figure of the new minimum wage arrived at by the committee.

He said the figure would only be made public after the committee’s report would have been presented to President Muhammadu Buhari by 4.15pm on Tuesday.

According to him, only one figure would be presented to the President.

Daily Trust however, authoritatively gathered that the government agreed and signed the #30, 000 demanded for by the workers.

Two union officials and a senior government official confirmed the #30, 000 agreement.

The Chairman of the committee, Amma Pepple, expressed delight that their assignment had been concluded.

“I am happy to report to you that we have concluded our assignment and we will submit our report to the President by 4.15pm on Tuesday.

We will reveal the figure at the presentation,” she said.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/here-is-new-minimum-wage-as-nlc.html

Celebrities / A Plastic Generation: Women And Fake Bodies By Seun Durojaiye (opinion) by 19Ebisco: 6:42am On Nov 05, 2018
Editor's note: The writer, Seun Durojaiye attempts to speak to the conscience of society who she believes has played a major role in driving the self esteem of many women to the ground; by setting unrealistic beauty standards. The result is a generation of plastic women searching in the wrong places for beauty that was never lost.

The alarming rate at which women go under the knife to enhance their figure just to appear more sexually appealing is worrisome to say the least. In defence, new generational barbie dolls are quick to proclaim that its purpose is to build confidence and help a woman own her sexuality, but the question is: Why is the the physical body of a woman a measure of her encompassing beauty?

Plastic surgery became more popular to some, when the famous American Kardashian family made a fortune off selling vanity to the public and just recently, Nigerian women started jumping on the train and altering their God-given bodies.

It is easy to blame society for setting unrealistic beauty standards and subjecting women to a constant feeling of inadequacy, one which can be cured with the right beauty-enhancing products or these days, a visit to a plastic surgeon who can fix the 'problem.'

However, the real problem is the growing generation of women who are suffering heavily from low self esteem, because they believe what the TV and magazines says about what they see in the mirror. Ultimately, society has failed women in more ways than one.

There is no argument that it's great business for cosmetic surgeons who have invested good money, time and energy towards the education of developing the art of 'body sculpting' but such a world that promotes physical beauty over the real essence of a woman has clearly turned its inhabitants to prey and is feeding on it.

Of what good is the world when majority of its women are lost? In the past women were beautiful just because their emotional strength, their ability to love unconditionally, their wisdom and the spark in their eyes when they find peace or passion, all of which, contributed to an inner glow that spirits bowed at the sight of.

But welcome to 2018, where a beautiful woman has to be the replica of an air-brushed magazine model or risk getting body shamed or trolled on the internet. When did it become good for a woman to look like a sex doll because it is appealing to the eyes of a carnal generation?

Or worse, when did it become logical for a woman to risk her life, while spending her money just to look like a cartoon character?

It might look great in photos shared on the 'gram' but did it ever occur to you that the dangers from getting a butt lift or replacing breast tissue with silicon include: Bleeding (hematoma), infection, recurrent looseness of skin, deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications, skin loss, to mention only a few.

In a case where affording proper surgery is impossible, some women search for quick fixes, cheap alternatives and reports have in the past revealed that they are more dangerous and in fact, several lives have been lost.

The earlier we realise that the new generation of women who are trapped in the beauty chasing system are headed for the abyss, the faster we start to think of solutions on how we can revive their ground-level self esteem and perhaps, save them.

Like it or not, we as a society owe it to women to remind them what true beauty is and this is because we made them forget in the first place. This opinion piece was written by Seun Durojaiye.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/a-plastic-generation-women-and-fake.html

Politics / 21-year-old Boy Strangles Mother To Death, Makes Love To Her Corpse In Edo by 19Ebisco: 7:59am On Nov 04, 2018
In a bid to get rich, a 21-year-old boy has reportedly killed his mother and had multiple sex with her corpse in Edo State.

The bizarre incident occurred in their rented apartment at 8B Market road, Ologbo in Ikpoba-Okha Local Government Area of Edo State on Monday, October 29, this year.

The suspect, Samuel Emobor Oghenekporboro, allegedly strangled her 58-year-old mother, Mrs Christiana Ighoyivwi, and had sex with her lifeless body with the expectation that money would gush out in the process.

The victim’s mother, Mrs Maria Gabriel, reportedly discovered the ugly incident when she went to her daughter’s residence about 6 a.m. to invite her to a nearby church for morning prayer, Sun reports.

The old woman was said to have knocked repeatedly on her daughter’s door without getting any response.

This prompted her to peep through an opening in the window when she saw the lifeless body of her daughter and raised the alarm.

Consequently, the son, Samuel, was said to have swiftly opened the door and attempted to escape but was held by neighbours who handed him over to the police at Ologbo.

Police investigators recovered semen-stained pants belonging to the suspect and his late mother from the room as exhibits.

Confirming the incident, spokesman for the Edo State Police Command, Chidi Nwabuzor, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), said investigation was ongoing, adding that the suspect would be arraigned soon.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/21-year-old-boy-strangles-mother-to.html

Celebrities / Nollywood Actress, Yvonne Jegede And Husband Welcome Their First Child (photos) by 19Ebisco: 8:54am On Nov 03, 2018
Popular Nollywood actress, Yvonne Jegede, who had on February 8, 2017, got married to an actor and son of the late veteran actress, Bukky Ajayi, has welcomed her first child.

According to unverified reports, the little baby is a boy.

The beautiful screen star took to her Instagram account on Thursday, November 1, 2018 to share the good news with fans and family members.

The new mom and her baby

She wrote: “Baby X,

When i first laid my eyes on you, heard your cry and felt your heartbeat, i developed an unconditional love. I never knew i could witness an angel on earth, you are so beautiful X.

From the moment you were handed to me, i felt something new awakened inside my heart. You have brought me so much joy I cannot explain. I promise to give you everything i have.

Hold unto my hand and never let it go, i will cross any ocean before i let you down. I know someday you’ll grow into someone who will shine super bright for the world to see because you are a star, don’t let anybody tell you otherwise because there’s no dream in this world that you cannot achieve.

Thank you for choosing me as a channel to come into this world, it is a privilege I will never take for granted.

With love,

Mamma.

#MyGreatestAchievementIsHere #ALetterToMyFirstChild #MyMostPreciousGift #TheNewTitleMummy #GratefulHeart #Testimony #Miracle #Nov1″

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/11/nollywood-actress-yvonne-jegede-and.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (of 7 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.