Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

1stnewsng's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 1stnewsng's Profile / 1stnewsng's Posts

(1) (of 1 pages)

Career / Re: I Need A Writer For My E-book by 1stnewsng: 2:00pm On Jun 08, 2021
Hello Jex,

My name is Kingsley, and I'm an accomplished ghost writer - editor - and digital marketer. I would like to work with you, if you would be so obliged. I have a strong imagination for fictional works of dynamic genres, and likewise adept at researches. My rate is N2 per word. You can contact me on +2347061605353 via voice or WhatsApp chat.

Regards.
Literature / The Good, The Bad, And The Lagos – 002 by 1stnewsng: 4:11pm On Feb 06, 2020
Typically, my friend’s family travels out of Lagos every Christmas. He never joins in the annual trip because he has to work between holidays. In some sectors in Nigeria, that’s the drill. There are occasional debates and grudges, but since the money must be made, the work must get done.

One of those Christmases, I got teasing him about not having hooked me up with any girl from his work place. So, the thing is – he meets more than a handful of women on a daily basis in his line of job. My accusation was both a joke and a reminder to do the needful.

They all wanted me to get married after all.

But the conversation naturally took the course of a joke. We recounted conquests and above-your-league-misses and almost hits. Then we came around to Ajoke.

READ ALSO: [url]The good, the bad, and the Lagos – 001[/url]

He had met Ajoke here in Lagos.

From the exchange of hellos, he knew she was trouble.

However, he also found himself entranced by her beauty. I never saw her, but I would take his word for it. He’s shown great taste in the past.

Now, caught between the want and the want-not, he struggled to keep it on the level of just friends. I know my friend; this must have been harder than forcing him to the gym.

One day Ajoke came by the office to suggest a quick lunch. My friend had been very busy.

He made her wait some.

During the lull in activity, another colleague whom you could have sworn was jaywalking suddenly came upon her.

From the exchange of hellos, he knew she was the kind of trouble he would adore.

This strange fellow found my friend and instantly began to negotiate a hand over.

Literally.

Since my friend was still oscillating between sainthood and dirty dancing, the request tipped the scale to the former. He agreed to the hand over.

Literally.

And he failed to follow up on the progress.

One day his friend’s wife called out of the blues. She suggested a quick lunch. When they met up, she told him her husband was cheating on her with a certain woman called Ajoke. Her complaints were endless…

He never returns before midnight anymore.

He never takes me out to church or functions anymore.

When she calls him, he takes her call in my presence. Last time, I confronted him. He went into the toilet and put a video call across to her. I was banging on the door, trying to break it down, but they just went on talking and laughing as if I wasn’t doing anything.

My friend was dumbfounded. But she could never know the real reason for his speechlessness. After a while, he assured her he would see what he could do about it. He would speak with her husband, chide him if needed, and correct this madness.

She sighed deeply. Then in a low tone, she told him nothing could be done now.

He asked her why.

I asked him why.

She said Ajoke was six months pregnant.

The natural course of the conversation was no longer a joke.

Culture / The Good, The Bad, And The Lagos – 001 by 1stnewsng: 3:58pm On Feb 06, 2020
It seemed like the dews were still dropping, even at a few minutes before 7 o’clock in Lagos. I was hurrying to work, jammed in a corporate pack with other workers who had gone to bed late and risen too early for the health and wealth promised in the nursery rhyme.

And if ever the devil took a dip in the deep blue sea, leaving no hopeful in-betweeners, that was the current state in Gbagada and its environs.

The road construction in progress was the devil of the times; while the new ban on motorbikes on major roads in Lagos created the deep blue sea.

We were all caught up in hell.

In the buses and cars, you could see commuting workers more half-asleep than half-awake, with varying kinds of gloom calligraphy on their faces.

If I took a reading, I’d say the wheels completed one revolution per five minutes.

It was that bad.

Even worse, we had surrendered to that pace.

But in the blink of an eye, I saw a man race past the bus I was in.

He was hysterical. He appeared to be running for his life. A few moments later, it was clear there was a life and death matter at hand.

Not his own life though.

He had alighted from a van carrying someone who was fighting for his life, someone who needed express medical attention, someone who’s life was ebbing as the time on the clock ticked away.

He had come to the policeman at the Gbagada junction to explain the desperate situation; pleading for intercession to help the van come through at once and get to the hospital quicker.

The policeman whose outlook was shameful at best reacted clumsily, asking him where the van was. The man pointed with agility and again stressed the essence of some urgency.

With his uniform still not tucked in, and his rifle dangling loosely, he directed a car on that path to pull by the corner. As the driver made to adhere to his command, he spotted a bus conductor on another route hanging illegally on the bumper with one leg stretched backwards, his heel almost touching the fender of a car behind. The policeman instantly abandoned the current objective and ran off like a mad man to apprehend the conductor.

Now they were dragging, cursing – creating a scene.

I looked at the hysteric man. He had put his hands on his head. He was distraught and helpless. Tears streamed down his eyes.

The policeman dragged the bus conductor away to where his group of officers were waiting, set to extort him.

The bus I was in moved just a bit – one revolution – five minutes – before the policeman came back to the man who was now seated on the ground, sobbing inconsolably. He had the temerity to ask him again, “Ehen, na where you talk say the motor dey?”

This time the man pointed with less agility.

It was probably too late. We would never know.

Another light dimmed by the laughable state of all that gives Lagos her name and reputation.

Romance / 15 Signs That Show A Wedding Isn't Going To Work by 1stnewsng: 3:18pm On Jan 13, 2020
Wedding can be great and fun; but not every couple that says those magical words at the altar will be lucky enough to enjoy a lifetime of happiness. Even though the wedding itself may go off without much drama in the eyes of the guests; there are ample red flags that can go on to become major roadblocks in the couple’s journey together.

According to Maya Tarach, a wedding planner based at Chicago, wedding planning is as exciting as it is challenging and stressful, since it is quite taxing on the couples not only from a financial standpoint, but also emotional. And this is where the couple is really tested, she adds.

Below are some of the patterns seen over time that confirm a wedding isn’t going to work. And if you are curious to know the telltale signs that a wedding isn’t going to work, check out these points below.

THE COUPLE LOOKS REALLY UNHAPPY

Planning and executing a wedding certainly takes a toll on both physical and emotional levels of a person. It isn’t, therefore, surprising that a lot of couples see the wedding day as more of a relief than anything else. And while that might be understandable to some extent; if the groom and bride really look unhappy, it is definitely not a good sign for the road ahead. If the couple doesn’t exchange those loving gazes or romantic gestures on their big day, the marriage is most likely to fail sooner than later.

THE COUPLE DOESN’T GREET THE GUESTS TOGETHER

A wedding is attended by a lot of guests and one needs to attend to and greet every guest. Most couples carry out this exercise together. However, if they decide to do this separately, it isn’t exactly a good sign for their marriage.

Watching couples greet guests separately is heartbreaking. There's an example where a groom ignored his bride all night just to chainsmoke outside! Such behavior clearly shows disrespect towards their new life partner; and is a really bad sign for their married life.

AN EX ATTENDS THE WEDDING – UNINVITED

There is surely nothing wrong with your partner staying friends with their ex; and there isn’t a good reason why one cannot extend a wedding invitation to him or her; if the person is still a friend. However, there is one cave-at: All three have to be on the same page regarding this. If either of the spouse’s ex shows up at the wedding uninvited or without their partner knowing about it; it is a big red flag that the marriage isn’t exactly going to be a smooth road for the couple.

BOTH FAMILIES DON’T GET ALONG WITH EACH OTHER WELL

It is okay to have a mother-in-law who doesn’t love one as their mother does. But it is quite clear that if the two families aren’t fond of each other; or if either of the families doesn’t approve of the wedding; it is a terrible sign for the marriage. There are a ton of conflicts that usually arise because of either of the families; and it is a big red flag. It could be something as trivial as the in-laws meddling with the wedding planning; but it isn’t a good sign nevertheless.

THE COUPLE ISN’T INTERESTED IN SITTING NEAR EACH OTHER

It all boils to how closely the couple wants to sit to each other during their wedding that is going to decide the fate of their marriage. She goes on to add that she noticed that the couples who were really fond of each other would sit close to each other; share food; laugh; as well as enjoy talking to each other. They were in a completely different world; while the rest of the proceedings went on around them.

On the other hand, there are weddings where the couples are sitting on the opposite side of the table! And if they are not being able to appreciate the first time they sit together as husband and wife by sitting next to each other; they will really find it tough to do so later in their married life.

THEY ARE RUDE TOWARDS THE WEDDING STAFF IN GENERAL

Another common sign that the marriage isn’t going to work well is how the couple treats the wedding staff. If they aren’t kind to the wedding staff who are working tirelessly to make their wedding the most beautiful day of their life, chances are they are going to treat their marriage the same way.

THE COUPLES’ FOCUS IS MORE ON DRINKING THAN THE ACTUAL WEDDING ITSELF

Obviously, you are expected to have a good time at your wedding – after all, it is your wedding! However, if either of the two ends up drinking way more than they normally should; it is a clear sign that the marriage is expected to be in the doldrums. If you find your partner throwing up even before the ceremony is barely over, you should seriously ask yourself “why?”

THEY SPEND SO MUCH THAT THEY END UP IN DEBT

While you certainly should spend a whole lot of money on your wedding; you should only do it as long as you can afford it. Just to have that high-end, perfect wedding, you shouldn’t push yourself into debt. At least it isn’t a wise choice as far as the success of your future is concerned.

Starting a marriage with a truckload of debt isn’t an ideal way to start a marriage. In fact, it is the perfect recipe for a disaster.

EITHER PARTY IS WAY TOO NERVOUS ON THE WEDDING DAY

A wedding is a serious thing, and it is quite normal for couples to get nervous just before the wedding. However, way too much nervousness oozing out from either party is definitely not a good sign. A lot of nervous signs are a clear signal that the person is worried about something. If you’re drinking bottles of water to calm down panic attacks so that you could at least walk; it is perhaps your gut saying that you shouldn’t be doing this. And this, certainly, isn’t a good sign for the couple.

THE COUPLE ISN’T INTERESTED IN THE PAPERWORK

We agree that weddings don’t have to be all about paperwork. However, there are certain things that need to be followed, in order to make the marriage an “official” one. So if the couple seems disinterested in carrying out the event of the most basic paperwork, the pair might not be meant for each other.

THEY CONTINUE TO BRAG ABOUT HOW MUCH EVERYTHING AT THE WEDDING COSTS

When either party starts bragging about how much everything at the wedding costs, it a telltale sign that their focus is not on the wedding, but somewhere else. A wedding planner shared how at one wedding, the bride started telling the guests “to shut up and be grateful” as the venue cost a lot; and that the cake was high-end, which they should be thankful for! The wedding planner shared that at that point, he was quite certain that this relationship was certainly not going to last long.

THEY ARE OVERLY CRITICAL ABOUT EVERY ASPECT OF THE WEDDING

It is quite common for the groom to be disconnected with how the wedding is planned; and even being disinterested is alright to some extent. However, the real problem arises when the bride or groom get overly critical about the process, or complain a lot. It is a clear indicator that there are underlying issues that need to be resolved, which is not a good sign for their marriage life later on.

ONE PARTNER ACTIVELY DISMISSES SERIOUS REQUESTS OF THE OTHER

Compromise is what most weddings are all about. However, if either party goes against the serious requests of the other, it is a big and clear indicator that things are not going to be smooth later.

One time a bride warned the groom multiple times that if he throws cake in her face, she would not accept that. Despite her serious requests, when the groom’s friends found out about it and egged on the groom to do it anyway – he did smash cake in the bride’s face. The bride annulled the wedding!

ONE PARTNER IS COMPLETELY DISINTERESTED IN THE DETAILS

While it is understandable if a person doesn’t want to be bogged down by details on their wedding. It simply means that they are more focused on spending life with the person they love. However, if either party is completely disinterested in the details, it can be a bad sign for the couple.

THE COUPLE IS TOO FOCUSED ON THE MINOR DETAILS

While it is certainly a good thing to be prepared for the wedding and see to it that everything is organized as per your wish, being way too much involved in the details can be a recipe for disaster as well. Most wedding planners agree that couples who are focused on even the slightest of details about their wedding don’t really last long.

Read more on: https://1stnews.com/[color=#770077][/color]
Celebrities / Meghan,harry Draw Ire Of Britain’s Military Men For Showin ‘disrespect To Queen' by 1stnewsng: 2:53pm On Jan 13, 2020
Reports have revealed that military men in Britain appear to be unhappy; with the decision of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to break ranks with the rest of the royal family.

Last week’s “Megxit” announcement appeared to come as a surprise to other members of the royal family; including the Queen herself.

It apparently raised concerns in the military that Harry; who had served in the army for ten years and was made Captain-General (ceremonial head) of the Royal Marines last year, may have shown a lack of respect for the Queen.

Speaking to The Telegraph, an unnamed former senior Army figure said that Harry “was a commissioned officer who pledged allegiance to the Queen and the Queen is his grandmother; so when push comes to shove, Queen and country come first”.

Also Read: Iran admits ‘unintentionally’ shooting Ukrainian airliner

James Glancy, a former Special Boat Service captain who had served with Prince Harry in Afghanistan; called him a “great public servant” in an interview.

However, he added, Harry’s “behaviour in the last year is not becoming of somebody that holds these important positions, these patronages, including that of the Captain General.”

Derek Hunt, whose son Nathan also served with Prince Harry in Afghanistan; and later took his own life after developing PTSD, said:

“Nathan kept Prince Harry alive in Afghanistan. He’d have been blown up had my son not found those IEDs. After everything they went through together, I think it is terrible to see him turning his back on everyone.”

“We all thought Harry really understood what life is like for veterans and their families; as if he was one of us and by our side – but he's shattered that impression now. It’s like he's lost his spark, like he's not the same person.”

The Queen had summoned Harry, his brother William as well as their father Charles for crunch talks at her private estate of Sandringham in Norfolk to discuss the role of Harry and Meghan in the family.

Meghan, who is currently in Canada, is expected to partake in the talks over the phone.

It comes days after a surprise announcement by the Sussexes that they would step back from their roles as “senior” royals.

Harry has hardly forgotten how his mother, the late Princess Diana, was treated by the press; and his wife, Meghan who is currently suing the Daily Mail for publishing a private note she had sent to her father, has found herself in a similar situation.

Politics / LG Boss Slumps And Dies After Meeting by 1stnewsng: 1:13pm On Jan 10, 2020
The Transition Committee Chairman of Arochukwu Local Government Area of Abia; Mr Onyekachi Okoro, is dead. His demise was confirmed by a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the area.

Okoro was said to have slumped at a private residence in Umuahia around 1pm on Thursday. Sadly, he died before he could get medical help.

The PDP Chairman Mr Anthony Nwankwo, confirmed the incident to newsmen at the Federal Medical Centre, Umuahia; where the deceased was taken to for medical attention. Equally important, Nwankwo, who was a close political ally of the deceased LG Chairman; said that he slumped after holding a meeting with some officials of the council in Umuahia.

He said: “The man had a meeting with the council’s Head of Service and Treasurer in Umuahia. Thereafter, he visited the house of our leader (name witheld). At the place, he went into the rest room.

“When he came out of the rest room, he started feeling somehow and eventually slumped.”

Abia state governor, Okezie Ikpeazu

ALSO READ: Ikpeazu: Nigerians slam Abia Governor for under-performance (Video)

Okoro was brought in dead, doctor says

Nwankwo disclosed that Okoro was quickly rushed to the hospital. Further, he said that the Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Azubuike Onyebuchi; was immediately contacted and that he joined a medical team to carry out palpitation on him; “to see if he could be resuscitated.”

Meanwhile, he refuted the report in some social media platforms that the deceased slumped and died in his house; after holding a meeting in his office with some council officials.

However, a medical doctor at the Accident and Emergency (A and E) Unit of the hospital said that Okoro; “was brought here dead.”

In addition, the doctor, who spoke on the condition of anonymity said that efforts made to resuscitate him by a team of medical doctors were unsuccessful.

Okoro was appointed Chairman of the local government in December.

Romance / STRANGERS AND LOVERS: My Weaknesses With Women - Kingsley Alaribe by 1stnewsng: 12:03pm On May 20, 2019
Weaknesses are our imperfect perfection. They complete everyone of us. With the opposite sex, we all have a few. Some of us, one too many.

But I have only three that stand out. Three subtle weaknesses.

I can trail a scent into hell. If it finds its way to my Amyglada, my defenses shatter at best. It is nearly as vermain is to a vampire; or, more accurately, krypton to superman. I have found that I can remain enraptured for hours in the company of a girl who just smells spectacular. Oh, I could endure her if she was the worst person on earth; or be lost in the aura she exudes if her p's and q's were half as entrapping.

And this is even the least of my weaknesses.

I am a deeper sucker for intelligence. Knowledge has a way of making a woman's beauty seem skin-deep. Knowledge, also, has a shocking likeness to fire: it is beautiful when controlled and harnessed, but destructive when untamed. When a lady is intelligent, yet polite and subservient, I spread my heart upon the very earth she treads. And that woman, in all regards, can prove more clever than I everyday.This is also one of my weaknesses, stronger than the one before.

Selflessness is, perhaps, the most overpowering quality in my world. I am unbelievably knocked for six when a girl waltzes through my tiny cosmos with this quickly ebbing attribute. I don't wonder why she's wired differently, or what her motivation is, or whether I deserve being the dandy showman in her empty circus ring. And I can surrender my life to her watch and harbour no fear for the cold treachery of day or the eerie night. Most importantly, I'll be pleased to exhaust the last drop of my strength doing her bidding and shielding her with my dreams. I am most powerless to the selfless girl.

This is my greatest weakness.

https://1stnews.com/strangers-and-lovers-my-weaknesses-with-women/

I know there's still beauty on the ranks which I admire; humour which I am fascinated by; independence, which can be positively challenging; fluency in speech, which is engaging; playfulness, which is joyous; and devotion to God, which is humbling.

These ought to be my weaknesses.

Yet, I, being only human, how could I yield otherwise?
Culture / MUSINGS: Nosy Nigerians Tell Me About Parenting by 1stnewsng: 12:51pm On May 18, 2019
Mention your kid in a conversation, and there’s a fifty per cent chance someone will offer you advice about parenting.

You didn’t ask for it, but now you’re trapped.You gotta stand there and fake gratitude.

Otherwise, you’re a bad parent. Right?

For some parents of the older generation, it doesn't matter how excellent your parenting is, their opening statement begins with something like, “Now what you should do is…”

It’s an interesting pronouncement.

Nobody talks that way when you actually seek out an opinion.

Anytime I ask for advice, a humble person goes, “Well, here’s what worked for me…”Some of these parents don’t even care about your parenting methods.

They assign you homework, like some reality TV coach.

Age doesn’t matter.

In fact, I’ve noticed that folks ranging from their 30s to 40s offer plenty of parenting advice.

Not just parenting, but really any major life transition.

If you’re having kids, getting married, or just graduating from the university, suddenly everyone becomes an expert on what you should do — even if they normally don’t care.

Parents explain things across gender.

Parent-splaining happens to fathers, too -- I am one.

Just in different ways.

Explaining the obvious doesn’t help.

Some parents do incredibly dumb things.

The other week, I read about a woman who dumped a shot of bourbon in her baby’s bottle.

Why?

Because someone told her that whiskey helps with teething.

They meant to rub it on the baby’s gums. Whoops.Thankfully, the kid survived after an adventure to the hospital.

There’s a simple solution to these situations. Take their kids away.

Nobody should have to explain not to feed your child whiskey.
[url]
Also Read: https://1stnews.com/musings-how-to-cope-with-losing-your-purpose-in-life-or-not/

[/url]After a certain commonsense threshold, advice no longer helps.You just won’t make it as a parent.

And yet the most obvious advice is what people are most willing to offer.

Stuff like, “Support the neck!” (in the Yoruba Language).

I’ve lost track of how many times I heard that. Yes, we get it. Your newborn baby’s not a bobblehead doll.

My favourite advice happens when people tell me what I can’t do anymore.

As if we don’t already know we can’t go to movies for now.

Or that some weekends kinda suck these days.

Does this even count as advice? Some people seem to think so.

True, some parents do take their infants to cinemas with them whilst riling everyone around them.

Personally, I think cinemas should stop them at the door. “Excuse me, is that a baby? Nope, turn around.”

Thirty years has taught me one thing.

People who routinely need the obvious explained to them aren’t doing much with their brains.

Of course, new parents need a lot of information. It’s an exciting and terrifying experience.

There’s usually a handful of people qualified to give advice.

They include paediatricians; nurses; health workers; and authors of books from legit publishers.

Finally, maybe a few friends and relatives who really have their shit together and know what they’re doing.

Life transitions open you up to everyone’s advice.

Everyone wants to share their opinion. It’s the Nigerian way.People boost their egos by hosting their own reality TV shows in their heads, where they’re the life coach who assigns homework.

This problem especially applies to new parents or any other major life transition.

About to graduate from the university? Get ready to hear everyone’s opinion about what should come next.

Starting a new job? Here come the opinions.

Getting married? All your friends have something to say about that.

Did your parent just die? Everyone becomes your grief counsellor.

Even people who don’t normally offer advice suddenly start hounding you. It’s bewildering.

We’re used to politely ignoring opinions. But during these periods, it comes in hail storms. You get overwhelmed.

And irritated.

Mark your boundaries especially regarding parenting.

Consider this strategy. When I got tired of people’s advice, I just stopped talking about the transition with certain people.

Even when they directly asked, I volunteered only the most basic intel.

In other words, take the “I’m doing fine” approach. You’re used to doing that already. You just have to keep your shields up.

Nobody usually cares how you’re doing until suddenly you have interesting shit going on — something new and shiny for them to comment on.

It’s hard to pretend like things are normal when your starship has just entered a new galaxy.

You want to tell people about it, and for once they want to listen.

If you resist that impulse, you’ll dodge a lot of bad advice.

Save your real talk for trusted friends, family, and professionals.

Sanitize your life for certain people.

That phrase 'too much information' (TMI) works both ways.

Some people actually do want to know all the dirty details of your day, especially if you’re in the midst of big change.

I’m convinced they get off on it.Come up with some funny anecdotes that last about five seconds, completely sanitized and devoid of emotional truth.

When someone looks like they’re about to offer advice, and you don’t want to hear it, share one and then while they’re laughing, abscond.

To that one person who won’t give up on offering advice, tell them, “I’ll think about it,” or “I’ll look into that.”

If they get pushy, tell them everything’s under control. Use that deadpan tone.Let people think they’re right.

Don’t waste your time arguing with bad advice.

Let people think they’re right, even if they’re not.

Just don’t ever let them watch your kids.

In fact, you probably don’t want them babysitting either.

Centuries from now, people will practice the perfect amount of respect for others’ privacy and autonomy.

Nobody will dispense unsolicited opinions.

Until then, we’ll just define our boundaries and learn when to be polite, and when to tell someone to get lost.

And remember, don’t feed your baby whiskey, even if she says she’s 21.

Always check her I.D.
Family / FAMILY: Four Ways To Create A Happy One by 1stnewsng: 9:16am On May 14, 2019
Obviously, a happy home means a happy atmosphere which means a happy family.

Happy home is what everyone whether adults or children look forward to after work or school.

Everyone wants a happy home – wants to feel loved and wants to feel HAPPY!  We as parents have that ability and the responsibility to create a happy home for our children.

A home where they always feel loved, where they feel safe and where they feel important and respected.

Creating a happy home is easy and to help with that here are few simple ways to accomplish that.

Spend quality time together.

The very first thing to do in order to create a happy family is to spend quality time together. There are many ways to spend time together like eating together, reading together, doing fun activities together.Put those phones and other gadgets down and carve out time out of your schedules to spend with your loved ones.   This will help you bond with them and get to know them better each day.

The time spent together will strengthen your family and keep you close to each other.

Respect for every member of the family.Each member of the family should be treated respectfully.

In order to help develop love for each other, parents need to make sure that children too are given the same respect that they expect from them (children).Parents need to set the best role model and appreciate each member and treat them equally.  Children should be praised for accomplishments and should have the support when needed.  Yelling, screaming, shouting does not set an environment of respect and acceptance.

It relays negative impact like aggression, fear, isolation which is not part of a happy family.  By treating each other with respect and honor you will help create a happy family.

https://1stnews.com/four-ways-to-create-a-happy-family/

Slow down and relax.

According to studies, proper sleep and rest is critical for good health.  And good health leads to be able to enjoy your life and do things that you want to.

Yes there are lots to be done in a day but if you don’t slow down you will start feeling miserable which can lead you feeling stressed.  Stress can cause issues at home and again that yelling and screaming will show up.   Place relaxation on your priority list and spend time to relax with your loved ones.

Stop pushing your kids do this, do that, then that – give them a break.  Create a chore schedule so everyone knows what they need to do.

Don’t overload them with too many chores.  Every day spend 30 minutes doing activities like crafting, playing board game, reading together.  This will help everyone relax and enjoy the moment.

Enforce good communication.

Good communication is vital in order to understand each other. Once we are heard and understood things become so much easier and clear which makes us happy.

Listen attentively when your children are talking to you.  Not only you show a good example but it also shows that you care.

Don’t interrupt when they are talking, children get distracted very quickly so it’s important to let them talk when they are.

Ask questions and help them express themselves easily and say what they really want to say.  Always end the communication with positive notes.

Listed above are just few of the ways you can create a happy family, there are many more.  Creating a happy family doesn’t happen overnight.  It takes time so be patient and enjoy while doing it.  Always remind yourself that you are doing this for your loved ones and of course yourself.

Everyone wants to be surrounded with love and happiness!
Crime / Re: Show Me Your Friends, Emmanuel Balogun! - Peju Akande by 1stnewsng: 8:54am On May 14, 2019
Crime / Show Me Your Friends, Emmanuel Balogun! - Peju Akande by 1stnewsng: 8:39am On May 14, 2019
I wasn’t in the university by 17, unlike many kids today; and it wasn’t for lack of trying.

I was working at a bookshop after failing to pass JAMB twice, or was it thrice.

I was told I was still young and should use the opportunity of being at home to learn about ‘life.’ As if anyone can learn life…even in a lifetime.

Anyway, at the bookshop, I met different types of people in the course of my budding ‘salesmanship’.

I made plenty of mistakes, too; I misjudged people because I was naive and often I saw only the good in everyone.

There was the time a bookshop owner from Ibadan told me a convincing lie.

He begged me to help cover the cost of the books he’d come to buy, promising to pay back the following week.

I gave him some of the little I earned  (it was a token but it meant a lot to me), hoping he would truly come back with my money as he promised.

Maybe he will show up tomorrow.

Well, that’s how naïve a normal 17-year-old is; foolish as in my case and in most cases, a poor judge of character.

So, my pain was raw when I saw the obituary of a 17-year-old; handsome looking ruddy lad.

The sad thing is that the life of Emmanuel, the boy in the poster, wasn’t cut short by disease, accident or the system that we so often blame for tragedies such as the one that befell him.

ALSO READ: What Are We Turning Into As Humans? – Peju Akande

Emmanuel’s young life was nipped in the bud simply because of his naivety.

He trusted the people he called his friends.Let’s flash back a little.

Why did Emmanuel, a fresh undergraduate of the University of Abuja drown in a pool while his friends stood by and watched him struggle for his life?

Was it that he couldn’t swim?

They said he’d been boasting he could - millions of 17-year-olds do that.Was he drunk, just like kids these days are wont to, upon experiencing freedom for the first time and so had underestimated the depth of the pool?

Probably...Was his drink spiked by his friends, so when he jumped into the pool, they knew he would die?

It does appear premeditated.But we may never know.

What we do know is that Emmanuel went to a pool party with freshers like himself, kids his age, his buddies who were also perhaps his classmates, and they watched him die.

They offered no help to save him nor called for help.

Emmanuel was said to have paid their gate fees into the pool area, the sum of N6,000 plus his own, making it N8,000.

He probably bought them food as well as drinks, maybe.

We are looking at nothing less than N20,000, give or take.

So, he probably spent in one night what his friends get for a whole semester! This was seen as a crime on his part by the people he was helping.

Another crime was that, despite being the son of a rich man, he was also blessed with good looks and all the girls naturally gravitated to his charm.

So it was very easy to see why Emmanuel was murdered by his friends. In their minds, he would always be one up on them.

They went into the pool area as innocents, minors, 17-year-olds  but emerged with blood on their hands.

Emmanuel’s naivety led to his untimely death.

He did not understand the subtle jibes from friends over his looks…he ignored the snide remarks his friends made over the fact that, girls liked him better than them; and the fact that he was from a rich home.

He must have convinced himself that his friends meant no harm, they were just being…well, friends.

ALSO READ: When the devil gets on your case, only God can help you – Peju Akande

But when he began to flay in the pool, arms wildly seeking for something to hold, something to grip and hurl himself out of the water...

When the water entered his lungs and burned like liquid fire and he gulped more than he could spit out…he called out to them, help, help me, I can’t swim…

They stood and stared and ignored him.

They think I am joking, he must have thought as he fought wildly against the water’s overpowering force.

His eyes burned, his neck ached; and as he sought to fill his lungs with air, more water poured in.

Once again, he flayed his arms, hoping to get his friends to jump into the pool to save him.

Instead, they watched, whispering among themselves.

Let him die;

he boasts too much;

didn’t he say he could swim?

let’s be rid of him, he took all the girls we’ve been eyeing;

let him die!

Help never came.

The sure hands of friendship he trusted never reached out to hurl him out of the water.

Instead, they watched as he finally stopped struggling.

Satisfied as his body floated above the water, they paused to see if he would move again.

When he didn’t, they went for his clothes, where he had left them in a pile.

They searched his pockets, his phone, wallet, and they took his shoes…and calmly walked out of the pool area, happy that it was past midnight, and that there were no other witnesses to their crime.

Except for the all-seeing-eye of a CCTV camera.
Family / Let’s Teach Our Boys To Do Right by 1stnewsng: 9:30am On Apr 30, 2019
I was waiting for my order a few weeks back at a restaurant and found myself seated not-too-far from some ‘privileged teenagers’ who had come to watch a movie or perhaps were waiting for their friends to come join them at the mall.

I couldn’t help over hearing their conversations, most of which were focused around girls… as should be expected of adolescents.

They were on holiday and must have agreed to meet up at the mall.

I tried to be as inconspicuous as possible in the corner just behind them.

Soon, the banter moved over to rape jokes.

You should see the way they guffawed and fought to tell one rape joke after another. Though they thought they were having fun, it was getting sickening. These kids didn’t seem to understand the height of their depraved jokes; I was appalled.Rape jokes are not fun jokes. It’s the reason many young men fall into the rape trap because they think its cool and girls don't mind; it’s the reason our young men think it’s a rite of passage to manhood.

Recall the Ireti boys of two years ago?ALSO READ: In defence of the ‘good guys’ out there – Peju AkandeIt’s the reason the crime of rape is on the rise… these boys do not even realise that the crimes they commit today may alter the course of their lives forever… for worse.

It could haunt them and destroy them when they least think it will catch up with them.I wasn’t going to let them go thinking such jokes were okay. So, I stood up, told them to let me crack a joke as well.

A few hid their faces in their hands; they were wondering what joke this old woman would tell.

I noticed they were still very impressionable and a few actually curtsied.‘Are you in the same class? What class?

’They were in SS3, gearing up to finish WAEC and NECO; no wonder they were so excited about girls."First off,’ I asked them, ‘How many of you have sisters?’Just three of them; they were eight in number.

So this won’t do.I asked again:“Ok, how many of you have mothers here?

”All hands went up.“Good. So boys, imagine this… your mum," I pointed at each of them, "invites your friend in. She feeds him, takes care of him like her own.

One day, while you are out at school, this friend sneaks back to the house, beats your mum, ties her up, tears her bra, her panties… (at this point, a good number of them were already shaking their heads. It was something they didn’t want to imagine.)‘… beats up your mother and rapes her?”

ALSO READ: Future daughter-in-law, beware! – Peju Akande

They stared, sober; this was a rude and shocking scenario to create in their young minds, but it worked.

I told them how men of means are being haunted by rapes they committed while in their youths; how their generation would be even more unforgiving because of social media.

They would be traced, hounded, destroyed for a crime they committed unknowingly.

I cited Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein; I cited the Unilag boys and warned that one small mistake could cost them all in the nearest future.

ALSO READ: Fatherhood is a doing word not just a title by Peju Akande

I didn’t need to say much after these; they got the gist.Hopefully, they have realized that rape jokes are no jokes; rape in itself is not something to toy with.

Let’s hope the realization hit home.

Peju Akande

https://1stnews.com/lets-teach-our-boys-to-do-right-peju-akande/
Romance / STRANGERS AND LOVERS: Something June Would Never Tell by 1stnewsng: 10:38am On Apr 15, 2019
It began with a massage.

A small request, and a quick response.Nothing complicated.

But he and June knew where this was going. Her sudden short breaths and dilated pupils revealed that much.

They'd been lying side by side on a neatly laid bed - coloured sheets on hard stuff.

For the heck of it, it was king-size.

He turned like an anxious reptile and came to be astride June. Then he gently slid her silk gown to her hips. The gown had been the only thing she had on; covering the vital parts, but uncovering the parts that led to them.It would be their first time with each other. To put it moderately, their first vacation together in the clouds.

But they weren't always this chum - this bonded - this kosher.

He had made his way back.

And as he ran his right thumb up her spine, that was the thought that pervaded her mind.

They'd met in a bus on a sunny, dusty day. Not the kind that advocated for any kind of romance.

And, yet, it had been love at first right. Meaning the express right to say something and prove with his first words that he wasn't either an asshole or a clueless numbskull.

But the moment they broke the silence with a few complimentary words, what followed, to mix metaphors, was a different ball park.

She liked his calm, sensual voice; he liked her sweet chatter.

And if anyone asked the gods in that instant, they would hear a reply in Avril Lavigne's sonorous harmony: he was a boy, she was a girl; can I make it any more obvious.

The first time he called her on the phone, he opted for the traditional route and formally asked her to be his girlfriend.It was a no-brainer.

She said yes.

And the next time he saw her, he kissed her at hello; then he said, "I love you like a love song."

So, as his hands worked her back on the king-size bed; sparks coursing through her body, she escaped with that first kiss. The even strokes with the palms of his hands and thumbs made her moan. He liked the sound.

Of course he aimed to impress.

Then from her shoulder blades, he ran circular, pressure motions down to her ribs. He pretended not to have noticed gliding over her side boobs.June held her breath when that happened, and later slowly exhaled. Her body temperature was rising; and her nerves were running amok. Now she was wanting him in ways people only ask in whispers.

However, her dilettante masseur pretended not to notice. And went ahead to turn it up a notch.

He slid further south until his crotch was on her bum, but feigned to have no interest beyond her lower back where his hands were actively massaging.

But now his member was coming awake, joining the party. She felt the rock pressed against her body, and a moistness between her thighs.It was unbelievable.

A fortnight ago she hated him. Now she was dying to make love to him.

The hate had come like an unwelcome lightning on a warm summer afternoon. It was two weeks after he asked her to be his girlfriend. An errant curiousity drove her to look through his phone. She found proof of another relationship.

He denied it.June denied him continuity.

That night she cried for what could have been. She cried for her daydreams, and her hopes that just collapsed like a house of cards.

He came back begging, and begging, and begging.

But she had come to loathe his words - his voice - and his face. For a few weeks.

Only a few weeks.June was soon missing him again. Her friends tried to tell her he was nothing but some trifling, good-for-nothing g-string hunter. Somehow, she dared to believe that was not true - even if it actually was.

Then she took ill.

Then he heard.

And then he hurried to her side.

She was again reminded of the chemistry that had slipped out through her phalanges.

June missed him.

No one had his words or voice or face. He was a devil in white. Just his mien seduced her to give it another go.

No one would understand - not the least her friends.And how could they? They were not the one on this king-size bed with him. They were not the one whose thoughts had just been interrupted as he glided into her wetness from the rear. She exhaled with a long, low octave that even bats could hear.Now his hands were rubbing her shoulders, soothing her tension, while he rocked her perfectly arched behind. The pleasure charged up her body that she reached both sides of the bed and clenched as hard as she could.

Every cry of pleasure satisfied him. Of course he aimed to impress.

He maintained a rhythm for finesse.

Then between her growing moans, June let out a quiet plea to smack her bum gently. If he was going to ride her, he could as well be a proper Southern cowboy.

When June would later tell her friends about their reunion, she would skip many episodes. These episodes would be her getaway place anytime she wanted to relax alone; and possibly just smile like a fool.

They would help her remember she is loved like a love song.

And whenever her friends asked her how the comeback happened.

June always smiled coyly and said, "It began with a massage."

If you have enjoyed reading this, then you'd like the next episode even more: The Greatest Sex Date : https://1stnews.com/strangers-and-lovers-the-greatest-sex-date-kingsley-alaribe/

(1) (of 1 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.