Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,397 members, 7,846,660 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument (6873 Views)

Oshiomhole Ditches Khakhi Uniform For Designer Suits (Photos) / GEJ Vs Buhari: Whose Body Language Is More Convincing? Reno Omokri Asks / President Gej Not Convincing Enough In His Submissions ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by alakaloko(m): 7:46pm On Nov 18, 2014
raumdeuter:
The age of a man does not count

Ronald Reagan, Nelson Mandela all led their countries while over 70. Most Americans still refer to the Reagan administration as the best

Ipad facebook and Power Point is not what rules a nation

Warren Buffet is one of the richest men alive he is 84, Was it Powerpoint slides and MS excel that made him seccesful?

His ideas are as old as his age.. Let him send his son
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Chigold101(m): 7:47pm On Nov 18, 2014
Francis5:

Both GEJ and Buhari are unfit, for different reasons, to lead Nigeria at this time.
please Which people or person is fit to lead Nigeria and what makes the person fit?
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 7:49pm On Nov 18, 2014
omenka:
I gave you the reason why I'm bent on Buhari didn't I? I don't like to speculate, I prefer taking decisions based on what I know. Can you tell me what the track record of these folks are (NB: I have nothing against them) in terms of anti-corruption?? Convince me sir. Take it you are marketing a product here. smiley. Age alone doesn't cut it for me.

I will be damned if I am going to vote for a candidate for the reason of not being corrupt alone. S/he has to be economically ingrained, and garnished with other attributes such as willingness to fight corruption. What proven evidence do you have that any of these guys would not fight corruption?

The same Buhari who was so morally corrupt that he arrested VPs while allowing presidents to walk free.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Ovamboland(m): 7:50pm On Nov 18, 2014
idumuose:

You are right.It's too late now.If these folks can join hands and form a political party before 2019,it will be a welcome idea.As it is,Buhari does not have an economic blueprint on how to move Nigeria from point A to point B.He does not have an inkling what to do except his anti corruption slogan,that is good though cos no country can progress with corruption entrenched in the society.

Can any supporter of Joinathan state the economic blueprint that sold himto Nigerians in 2011 that was superior to that of others who contested with him? The heck i remember he even dodged the presidential debate to showcase himself yet he got elected. Maybe you even voted for him and still intend to vote for him again without any blueprint then or now and plus corruption to the bargain.

So does it not make sense to elected a man with proven anti-corruption credentials even without personal blueprint than stick with another with zero blueprint + corruption?
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by omenka(m): 7:51pm On Nov 18, 2014
Francis5:

I will be damned if I am going to vote for a candidate for the reason of not being corrupt alone. S/he has to be economically ingrained, and garnished with other attributes such as willingness to fight corruption. What proven evidence do you have that any of these guys would not fight corruption?

The same Buhari who was so morally corrupt that he arrested VPs while allowing presidents to walk free.
k.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 7:53pm On Nov 18, 2014
Ovamboland:

Our system is so terrible that it can not throw-up such people as leaders but only disasters like Yar'dua and Goodluck. If the listed are electable by the Nigerian system who will be talking about Buhari? The need to ensure disaster Jonathan does not get a second time is what made the prospect of a Buhari presidency more appealing.

Remember Mr. clean Gani Fawehinmi contested on his party platform and was largely ignored in 2003, even Ojukwu got far more votes than Gani in that election. So the idea of getting such people as leader for now still remains a romantic one that is not practical. Almost all states are still at the level of talking about rotation of leadership between ethnic groups with competence hardly in contention like 'Ekwere time vs Ijaw/Ogoni time', Ijebu time vs Egba time', Ebira vs Tivi tiime' etc.
Can you say we are ready to elect leaders on the basis of character, ability and competence? We ares till far from it.

Remember the reason majority of Northern supporters of Buhari is vastly different from the reasons for the support of vast majority of his supporters from the south. It is just a mere coincidence of aspirations nothing more.

Yes, it is an interesting point you made that those who support Buhari from the North do so for ethnic and religious reasons, unlike his southern supporters. For me though, I think both GEJ and Buhari should give way for more competent hands.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 7:54pm On Nov 18, 2014
Chigold101:
please Which people or person is fit to lead Nigeria and what makes the person fit?

Go back and read my posts. Thank you.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 7:55pm On Nov 18, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof:
GEJ doesn't sound like he knows any of what you asked of Buhari either. So, why don't you insist neither him nor Buhari run,why does Buhari bother your likes so much?

Are you daft? Can you go back and read my posts on both GEJ and Buhari?
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Ovamboland(m): 7:56pm On Nov 18, 2014
Francis5:

Anti-corruption agency with far-reaching powers, except to kill. Powers that would be backed by legislation. It will not be answerable to the president. He cannot be removed unless by a legislative act.

And the president I mean is not GEJ. Both GEJ and Buhari are unfit, for different reasons, to lead Nigeria at this time.

Jonathan has been seating in meetings with Buhari on regular basis for the pat 5 years, if he needs advice and is sincere about fighting corruption he would have since engaged him at least behind the scene to handle the corruption scourge
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 7:57pm On Nov 18, 2014
Can anyone even begin to tell me how Buhari can muster the courage to fight Tinubu's corruption?
Hey! Tinubu would be his godfather, remember? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 7:58pm On Nov 18, 2014
Ovamboland:

Jonathan has been seating in meetings with Buhari on regular basis for the pat 5 years, if he needs advice and is sincere about fighting corruption he would have since engaged him at least behind the scene to handle the corruption scourge

Hence I maintained that GEJ is unfit as well. Do you guys even read posts at all?
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by raumdeuter: 8:00pm On Nov 18, 2014
Francis5:
Can anyone even begin to tell me how Buhari can muster the courage to fight Tinubu's corruption?
Hey! Tinubu would be his godfather, remember? grin grin grin grin grin

WHen Buhari gets there you would find out. And I can guarantee you it would be different from the awarding him with national awards like Jonathan did for Alams
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 8:03pm On Nov 18, 2014
Ovamboland:

Can any supporter of Joinathan state the economic blueprint that sold himto Nigerians in 2011 that was superior to that of others who contested with him? The heck i remember he even dodged the presidential debate to showcase himself yet he got elected. Maybe you even voted for him and still intend to vote for him again without any blueprint then or now and plus corruption to the bargain.

So does it not make sense to elected a man with proven anti-corruption credentials even without personal blueprint than stick with another with zero blueprint + corruption?

Actually GEJ's economic strides have not been that bad, but could be better. Were he not corrupt and incompetent (in terms of security), I would vote for him for his economic strides. I am apolitical, and so I am not that beclouded by sentiments to see what good any of them has done. I appreciate Buhari for his anti corruption stance which was possible during a military regime. Whether he can replicate such in a democracy remains to be tested. Moreover, Buhari will be taking us 30 years back, economically.

Can we fight corruption without a Buhari? Yes.

Bottomline: get me a new president, not GEJ, not Buhari.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Ovamboland(m): 8:05pm On Nov 18, 2014
Francis5:

It is very possible, if the anti corruption czar knows what he is doing. Once appointed and ratified by the senate, he will not be removable until the end of a specified tenure, except by the senate. If I have such powers and I am myself not corrupt and incorruptible (so that I do not have any skeletons in my own cupboard), I will start working by always announcing to the Nigerian public every suspect that is arrested, why they are arrested and what is being done with their case. I will make public any allegation of corruption that comes to me concerning the president and the legislators, and pastors and imams and bank managers, etc. This I will do despite the immunity that the executives might have, at least to let the public know what allegations are out there, and that they (the public) should advocate for prosecution once they are out of power. I will make sure that I am not sectional in this exposure.

I will provide the names of judges handling each corruption case and I will have my own opinion to make to the public, if a judge is trying to play games with any case.

Essentially, I will ALWAYS take my case to the court of public opinion. That way, the leaders will think twice before engaging in any secret maneuvers to undermine my activities. Only a corrupt followership will not do something with such information at the public disposal. In which case Nigeria is completely hopeless because it takes good followership to make good leadership.

Why are you strenously advocating an arrangement that will leave an utterly corrupt man as president and ask the upright one to serve under the corrupt? If Jonathan is so good with economy, let him offer to serve under buhari's economic team since he can't handle corruption and security kapish!
The corruption has permeated our national life such that the judges will dance to the tune of a pliable president and the legislature will refuse to pass stiffer laws against corruption. Do you know if you steal the entire National budget in one sweep as a politician, the maximum term you will get is 2 years in jail or maybe a little fine if you are a first offender and show remorse?

3 Likes

Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by raumdeuter: 8:08pm On Nov 18, 2014
Francis5:

Actually GEJ's economic strides have not been that bad, but could be better. Were he not corrupt and incompetent (in terms of security), I would vote for him for his economic strides. I am apolitical, and so I am not that beclouded by sentiments to see what good any of them has done. I appreciate Buhari for his anti corruption stance which was possible during a military regime. Whether he can replicate such in a democracy remains to be tested. Moreover, Buhari will be taking us 30 years back, economically.

^^OBJ as a democratic president fought corruption in his little way and got a few conviction

What has GEJ done against corruption in the last 5 yrs other than actually promoting it?

1 Like

Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 8:09pm On Nov 18, 2014
raumdeuter:

WHen Buhari gets there you would find out. And I can guarantee you it would be different from the awarding him with national awards like Jonathan did for Alams

Not willing to experiment. This is democracy, not some military regime where Buhari fought corruption with military fiat. How will he pull it through in a democracy? Since that is his expertise, one would have though that he would have a manifesto on how to fight corruption in a Nigeria-type democratic setting. If he cannot produce a blue print on corrupt - his supposed area of expertise - how much less would he do in economic matters? I dare say that Buhari is a complete tabula rasa, and his political minders are not smart either.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Ovamboland(m): 8:11pm On Nov 18, 2014
Francis5:

Buhari will not be a loner in government he will have sound minds working with him. The minds that conceived the 2 biggest projects in Nigeria today(Eko Atlantic and Lagos Light Rail) will be available to steer the economy. Jonathan cannot state anything about economy on his own without Iweala, Aganga and Adesina. So Buhari will assemble his own team and the field will be level as you need not compete with corrupting influence and unfair waivers for fat cats.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 8:11pm On Nov 18, 2014
raumdeuter:

^^OBJ as a democratic president fought corruption in his little way and got a few conviction

What has GEJ done against corruption in the last 5 yrs other than actually promoting it?

OBJ fought the corruption perpetrated by his enemies alone. Obj himself and his friends walked away with our collective heritage. Please do not mention ''OBJ AND ANTI-CORRUPTION''.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Ovamboland(m): 8:13pm On Nov 18, 2014
omenka:
Yours is the kind of saTANic orientation that has encouraged corruption in high places in Nigeria. You should be ashamed of yourself. It is only in Nigeria you find people thinking is a thing of shame for one not to turn out extremely wealthy after occupying exalted public offices. Jeez. Do you guys even take a moment to listen to yourselves?? With an attitude such as this, why wouldn't the politicians keep stealing the country blind knowing when they step out of office, people would laugh at them if they don't drive in the finest cars, live in the poshest apartments, or adorn themselves with the most expensive jeweleries and accessories??

Shame on you Idumuose.

Nothing more to add
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by raumdeuter: 8:14pm On Nov 18, 2014
Francis5:

OBJ fought corruption the corruption perpetrated by his enemies alone. Obj himself and his friends walked away with our collective heritage. Please do not mention ''OBJ AND ANTI-CORRUPTION''.

Better to fight some than leave all

Better to clean a corner of the field than leave the whole field dirty

1 Like

Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 8:14pm On Nov 18, 2014
Ovamboland:

Buhari will not be a loner in government he will have sound minds working with him. The minds that conceived the 2 biggest projects in Nigeria today(Eko Atlantic and Lagos Light Rail) will be available to steer the economy. Jonathan cannot state anything about economy on his own without Iweala, Aganga and Adesina. So Buhari will assemble his own team and the field will be level as you need not compete with corrupting influence and unfair waivers for fat cats.

But you Buhari boys are trying to convince me that he is the only one who can fight corruption in Nigeria. If that is the case, who will he assemble to fight corruption for him, in a democracy filled with corrupt legislators and governors and ministers and commissioners? You see, fighting corruption with military fiat is easy. In a democracy, the beast is even more intimidating.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 8:15pm On Nov 18, 2014
raumdeuter:

Better to fight some than leave all

Better to clean a corner of the field than leave the whole field dirty

Fight others while enriching yourself? I call that crass hypocrisy.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 8:16pm On Nov 18, 2014
What is Buhari's manifesto for fighting corruption?
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by idumuose(m): 8:18pm On Nov 18, 2014
Ovamboland:

My problem is that a country of 170million people cannot produce a good and acceptable president who can transform our economy and fight corruption to a standstill.Buhari to me is a spent force who has lost touch with our present day economic reality.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Jesusloveyou: 8:23pm On Nov 18, 2014
Built2last:
Like Bill Clinton Said about a Former U.S presidential contestant...''I am not really against his age but the age of his ideas''
which ideas,d african mentality,of indiscipline,always in hurry to outsmart ur brother?get rich quick sydrome?no one quene for their turn,u bribe ur way to d top.betray ur nation,by dirty d image of ur nation thru dealings in hard drugs and 419ners.fashola never miss his words.he said d youth can also vie for president.because among d listed,both fashola,osho,duke,oby ,iweala etc.are all above 50s.but fashola said 40s.we are not after age,we just need buhari for only one term.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 8:24pm On Nov 18, 2014
idumuose:

My problem is that a country of 170million people cannot produce a good and acceptable president who can transform our economy and fight corruption to a standstill.Buhari to me is a spent force who has lost touch with our present day economic reality.

Exactly my point. It is a big worry.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 8:25pm On Nov 18, 2014
Jesusloveyou:
which ideas,d african mentality,of indiscipline,always in hurry to outsmart ur brother?get rich quick sydrome?no one quene for their turn,u bribe ur way to d top.betray ur nation,by dirty d image of ur nation thru dealings in hard drugs and 419ners.fashola never miss his words.he said d youth can also vie for president.because among d listed,both fashola,osho,duke,oby ,iweala etc.are all above 50s.but fashola said 40s.we are not after age,we just need buhari for only one term.

40 0r 50, is just anumber. 73 and above is more than a number. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Candyrain(m): 8:30pm On Nov 18, 2014
Francis5:
I still wonder why Fashola, who is a smart dude, at least by Nigerian standard, is not even giving the presidency a shot. Is he shy? Is he over-hyped, or is he a coward?
If Fashola want to join the presidential race then he has to do it on another platform and not APC. APC has agreed on a northern presidential candidate only. I wish Fashola can join the race.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by idumuose(m): 8:36pm On Nov 18, 2014
This is one point the Buharists do not understand.If buhari decides to discard those corrupt politicians who helped him become president,they will deal with him ruthlessly.This isn't military regime.He is dealing with seasoned and corrupt politicians.

Francis5:

But you Buhari boys are trying to convince me that he is the only one who can fight corruption in Nigeria. If that is the case, who will he assemble to fight corruption for him, in a democracy filled with corrupt legislators and governors and ministers and commissioners? You see, fighting corruption with military fiat is easy. In a democracy, the beast is even more intimidating.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 8:36pm On Nov 18, 2014
Candyrain:
If Fashola want to join the presidential race then he has to do it on another platform and not APC. APC has agreed on a northern presidential candidate only. I wish Fashola can join the race.

Why does APC's candidate have to be a Northerner? It seems the SW APC people on NL don't even trust Fashola.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Francis5: 8:41pm On Nov 18, 2014
idumuose:
This is one point the Buharists do not understand.If buhari decides to discard those corrupt politicians who helped him become president,they will deal with him ruthlessly.This isn't military regime.He is dealing with seasoned and corrupt politician.

That is the reason why an ideal candidate must come with many strengths. In this case if he tries, but fail to fight corruption due to the nature of the beast, he can focus on other indices such as economy, security, jobs, qualitative education (very important) and electricity, and achieve success in one or more of those areas. Buhari comes only with corruption- as we are made to understand; if he fails - which he is likely, because of the entrenched corruption in democratic Nigeria - then it is a COMPLETE waste of time.
Re: Fashola The Wily Tortoise Ditches Buhari In A Convincing Argument by Candyrain(m): 8:42pm On Nov 18, 2014
Francis5:

Why does APC's candidate have to be a Northerner? It seems the SW APC people on NL don't even trust Fashola.
I've said it and will continue saying it. If APC presents Fashola, Rochas or Adams I'll vote for APC but if it's Buhari and others then it's GEJ till 2019

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Check Out The New NDDC HEADQUARTERS Building, Port Harcourt. Pictures. / Is This Story About Bode Thomas Death True? / Ribadu Remains The Only Saint That Led Anti-Corruption EFCC - Farouk Martins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.