Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano (27929 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / 10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by ginajet(f): 8:52pm On Nov 21, 2014
jacabi:

Farmer, the king of all.
If farmer no plant, wetin human being go chop?
excuse me sir, are you talking to me? or Dangote?
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by InvertedHammer: 9:02pm On Nov 21, 2014
/
I foresee a proliferation of cancer in the nearest future.

Genetically-modified food masked as "hybrid"?

E too sweet na im dey kill pass.

\

1 Like

Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by Gideonyte(m): 9:16pm On Nov 21, 2014
I hope the so called "Hybrid Seeds" are not GM Seeds!

If you think there's nothing wrong with GMO, take your time and watch this documentary to the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6OxbpLwEjQ

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by Gideonyte(m): 9:21pm On Nov 21, 2014

1 Like

Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by amunites19(m): 9:36pm On Nov 21, 2014
More grease to your elbow, remain rice factory and refinery in kano.....
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by Hardaysheenar(m): 10:19pm On Nov 21, 2014
Ds man na true messanger of God to help Nigeria...instead of our Leaders and our Politicians to emulate ds man...they are busy jumping over fence and decamping 4rm one party to anoda...useless pple!
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by ayo84(m): 11:08pm On Nov 21, 2014
Some quotes about GMOS and so called Hybrid Crops

Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by sam90s(m): 11:33pm On Nov 21, 2014
all4naija:
Your ignorance and primitiveness is nauseating! angry angry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed cry cry

Do your research, the whole business of genetically modified food is dodgy.
Food shortage as it is today is as a result of both poor distribution and storage, more than half of the food grown go to waste,
The engineered seeds affect the soil and normal seeds will find it hard to survive, therefore creating dependency on the 'manufacturers' of these seeds.
You called someone ignorant and primitive, but you fail to ask basic questions, what happens when low income Africans start to develop the kind of diseases not to mention strange allergies common in the West, they are very costly to treat you know that. At the moment, our major worries are feeding to stay alive, even security is secondary, what happens when more than half of children born are developing all sort of food allergies, who's going to pay for that, of course not this reckless government of ours. African women, generally, are more than 4times fertile than their western european counterparts, don't think it a due to superior gene, you are what you eat.
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by ayo84(m): 11:35pm On Nov 21, 2014
This is a PR stunt to make people who aspire to be like Dangote to embrace the farming of GMOS, which is detrimental to the health of Nigerians/

I REPEAT GMOS ARE NOT SAFE

Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by TAEpiphany: 11:58pm On Nov 21, 2014
But it's being reported he is using HYBRIDS not GMOs.
Let me find a simple way to explain the difference between both

Hybrids can be kind of likened to having a white male mate with black female to produce a mixed race baby - inter-breeding/crossbreeding

GMOs on the other hand could be likened to having a white male mate with a black horse/dog..... To produce God knows what.

Two different things, until you can prove these seeds are GMOs please quit with the propaganda. I will not support GMOs too, but would not get on a blind campaign against something that can potentially benefit Nigerians.
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by Nobody: 12:08am On Nov 22, 2014
sam90s:

Do your research, the whole business of genetically modified food is dodgy.
Food shortage as it is today is as a result of both poor distribution and storage, more than half of the food grown go to waste,
The engineered seeds affect the soil and normal seeds will find it hard to survive, therefore creating dependency on the 'manufacturers' of these seeds.
You called someone ignorant and primitive, but you fail to ask basic questions, what happens when low income Africans start to develop the kind of diseases not to mention strange allergies common in the West, they are very costly to treat you know that. At the moment, our major worries are feeding to stay alive, even security is secondary, what happens when more than half of children born are developing all sort of food allergies, who's going to pay for that, of course not this reckless government of ours. African women, generally, are more than 4times fertile than their western european counterparts, don't think it a due to superior gene, you are what you eat.
Stop being petulant. You refuse to accept the fact that it is not about huge part of the food grown going to waste but about sustainability. With the level at which humans are depleting the resources with earth teeming population in few hundred years wel might run out of the most important ones. It is clear you are looking for an avenue to make population growth as not a great problem. You aren't seeing the picture here.
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by ayo84(m): 12:11am On Nov 22, 2014
TAEpiphany:

Hybrids can be kind of likened to having a white male mate with black female to produce a mixed race baby - inter-breeding/crossbreeding

GMOs on the other hand could be likened to having a white male mate with a black horse/dog..... To produce God knows what.

Two different things, until you can prove these seeds are GMOs please quit with the propaganda. I will not support GMOs too, but would not get on a blind campaign against something that can potentially benefit Nigerians.

www.fibre2fashion.com/news/textile-news/nigeria/newsdetails.aspx?news_id=110339

they are deceiving you ....
... Monsanto is a leader in both conventional hybrid maize as well as hybrid genetically-modified maize.

what do you get.. when you cross breed gmo maize with local natural maize, you get a hybrid...
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by ayo84(m): 12:13am On Nov 22, 2014
all4naija:

Stop being petulant. You refuse to accept the fact that it is not about huge part of the food grown going to waste but about sustainability. With the level at which humans are depleting the resources with earth teeming population in few hundred years wel might run out of the most important ones. It is clear you are looking for an avenue to make population growth as not a great problem. You aren't seeing the picture here.

There are numerous natural agricultural practices that we learnt even in school.. they are sustainable.. think outside the box ...

there is a hidden agenda .
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by Nobody: 12:14am On Nov 22, 2014
ayo84:
This is a PR stunt to make people who aspire to be like Dangote to embrace the farming of GMOS, which is detrimental to the health of Nigerians/

I REPEAT GMOS ARE NOT SAFE

Before Monsanto ever existed those conditions were as prevalent. The fact that something went wrong during a process is blamed on GMO is laughable. Whereas these are the same products which have been used for a long time in many country. Smoking, some medication and even the sun are likely to cause cancers on some people than GMO. You are a primitive person looking for ways to peddle false information.

Can you prove it GMO that makes that animal looks like that? Don't tell me it is only that cow that ate the GMO. Hahaha...
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by manny4life(m): 12:16am On Nov 22, 2014
I have never been a fan of Hybrid let alone GMO food, Organic all the way. If you use the U.S. as a case study, the level of sickness, and the types of diseases seen in this country could ONLY be found here and no where else. There are reasons why some countries banned this products. We should say NO to these types of development.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by Nobody: 12:17am On Nov 22, 2014
ayo84:

There are numerous natural agricultural practices that we learnt even in school.. they are sustainable.. think outside the box ...

there is a hidden agenda .
Jeez! Which school are you getting those peasant practice from in Africa? You aren't taking the population into factor here. If you do you would know what I mean by sustainability. Please, read up!
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by Nobody: 12:18am On Nov 22, 2014
manny4life:
I have never been a fan of Hybrid let alone GMO food, Organic all the way. If you use the U.S. as a case study, the level of sickness, and the types of diseases seen in this country could ONLY be found here and no where else. There are reasons why some countries banned this products. We should say NO to these types of development.
Liar! There are more diseases in Africa than anywhere else on the planet. Please, take good care of Ebola first before talking about disease in the USA. Jerk!
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by TAEpiphany: 12:24am On Nov 22, 2014
I'll tell you this much, I'm not well versed in maize production or crossbreeding so I can't really speak to that.
But I know from oil palm hybrid seedling research the popular specie being grown in Nigeria was made from crossbreeding, it's an Hybrid. Now it's someone's research, but what I'd like to see is investigations and result that would prove to me there's GMO somewhere down the line. Anyway if you insist the maize are GMOs , there has to be a way of testing that. Please always come with proof.

http://www.fao.org/DOCrEP/005/Y4355E/y4355e03.htm

To me there's nothing wrong with crossbreeding , it has been done for years , from rabbits to dogs to cows, to humans indirectly.
I have seen people choose their partners because they have a lot of hair or are really tall, in hopes their offsprings would have those traits
If you put a tall man plus a short woman in the hopes of having tall kids, their kids might end up being tall...those kids are hybrids not GMOs. Selective breeding comes to mind.

ayo84:

www.fibre2fashion.com/news/textile-news/nigeria/newsdetails.aspx?news_id=110339

they are deceiving you ....
... Monsanto is a leader in both conventional hybrid maize as well as hybrid genetically-modified maize.

what do you get.. when you cross breed gmo maize with local natural maize, you get a hybrid...

Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by TAEpiphany: 12:27am On Nov 22, 2014
You mean like Ebola *tongue in cheek* grin

manny4life:
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by Nobody: 1:03am On Nov 22, 2014
Gideonyte:
I hope the so called "Hybrid Seeds" are not GM Seeds!

If you think there's nothing wrong with GMO, take your time and watch this documentary to the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6OxbpLwEjQ
They are mostly false documentaries.
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by jacabi(m): 1:26am On Nov 22, 2014
ginajet:
excuse me sir, are you talking to me? or Dangote?
All of the above.
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by manny4life(m): 2:12am On Nov 22, 2014
all4naija:

Liar! There are more diseases in Africa than anywhere else on the planet. Please, take good care of Ebola first before talking about disease in the USA. Jerk!

Geez, you sound bitter... Relax jare, HBP is REAL. tongue
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by nemelu123(m): 4:39am On Nov 22, 2014
For Your Younger Ones
Jamb, Waec , Gce , Neco And All School Pume
Past Questions On Your Mobile Phone Call

Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by Nobody: 5:18am On Nov 22, 2014
manny4life:

Geez, you sound bitter... Relax jare, HBP is REAL. tongue
I know you are trying to use obesity to define disease here. Even there are more obese people in the Middle East than in the USA presently. For your information, South Africa is among first 10 obese nations on the planet. When you tell Zulus and Xhosas to control their eating habit they would tell they are affluent and can afford rich food. Rich food in South Africa is sugary food, my bottom!
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by MduZA: 6:59am On Nov 22, 2014
all4naija:

I know you are trying to use obesity to define disease here. Even there are more obese people in the Middle East than in the USA presently. For your information, South Africa is among first 10 obese nations on the planet. When you tell Zulus and Xhosas to control their eating habit they would tell they are affluent and can afford rich food. Rich food in South Africa is sugary food, my bottom!

my man this tendency of yours of referring to other nationals with their ethnicity is primitive ...
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by akanke79: 7:28am On Nov 22, 2014
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by ayo84(m): 7:38am On Nov 22, 2014
TAEpiphany:

This is a list of new so called hybrids being released,do not be deceived , there is no hybrid that is resistant to a chemical herbicide, being manufactured by the same people

http://businessdayonline.com/2014/06/government-releases-11-high-yielding-crop-varieties-to-farmers/#.VHADrjTF91Y

http://www.iita.org/2014-press-releases/-/asset_publisher/CxA7/content/nigeria-releases-first-generation-of-herbicide-resistant-hybrids?redirect=%2Fhome#.VHADljTF91Y

The Nigerian National Variety Release Committee (NVRC) has released the first generation of maize hybrids, resistant to metsulfuron methyl herbicide, that are also endowed with resistance to the noxious parasitic weed Striga hermonthica.
The hybrids were developed by the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in partnership with DuPont Pioneer Seeds using conventional breeding with funding from IITA and the Integrated Striga Management in Africa (ISMA) project as part of strategies to control S. hermonthica in maize.
The hybrids were released as P48W01 and P48W02 and are recognized as IITA IR-Maize Hybrid 2 and IR-Maize Hybrid 4. The hybrids have a yield potential of up to 5 t/ha under Striga infestation in comparison with local varieties that produce less than 1 t/ha in such conditions.

This is not a f***g hybrid, it is a GMo, have you heard of a natural plant that already has immunity to a man made herbicide and chemical

OPEN YOUR MINDS PEOPLE ,FOR GOODNESS SAKE
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by ayo84(m): 7:49am On Nov 22, 2014
iF YOU HONESTLY BELIEVE WHAT THEY ARE PROMOTING ARE NOT gmos, you need to wake Up.dont know the international

People don't know most of the so called hybrids are coming from International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) , which is supported and sponsored, and also enjoys joint research from GMO companies like monsanto and co.

DO YOU THINK THEY WOULD BE DUMB AND ANNOUNCE A BIG MOSANTO OFFICE, THEY WOULD BE SMART AND INTRODUCE IT USING RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS ETC

THIS DANGOTE RAISING HYBRIDS, IS A PR STUNT TO GET YOU O FELL COMFORTABLE ABOUT DOING THE SAME THING LIKE DANGOTE ,
WE ARE A BUNCH OF BRAINWASHED TWEETS
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by deniiQ: 8:27am On Nov 22, 2014
InvertedHammer:
/
I foresee a proliferation of cancer in the nearest future.

Genetically-modified food masked as "hybrid"?

E too sweet na im dey kill pass.

\

my fear exactly @the bolded.
isn't it time we begin to put national welfare above personal gain?
i pity the future generation of this country.
Re: Dangote Farms Begins Hybrid Tomatoes Production In Kano by ayo84(m): 8:28am On Nov 22, 2014
NIGERIA RELEASES HERBICIDE RESISTANT MAIZE HYBRIDS

First generation maize hybrids resistant to metsulfuron methyl herbicide and to the noxious parasitic weed Striga hermonthica have been released by the Nigerian National Variety Release Committee (NVRC). Developed by the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in partnership with DuPont Pioneer Seeds, the hybrids were released as P48W01 and P48W02 and are recognized as IITA IR-Maize Hybrid 2 and IR-Maize Hybrid 4. The hybrids have a yield potential of up to 5 t/ha under Striga infestation in comparison with local varieties that produce less than 1 t/ha in such conditions.

Farmers rank Striga as the number one constraint to maize production in northern Nigeria, with 50 to 100 percent of the households reporting Striga incidence in their farms. The parasitic weed infests more than 9 million hectares planted to millet, maize, and sorghum in Nigeria and severely lowers the production capacity of these crops.

For more information, read the IITA news release available at: http://www.iita.org/2014-press-releases/-/asset_publisher/CxA7/content/nigeria-releases-first-generation-of-herbicide-resistant-hybrids?redirect=%2Fhome#.U7IfKJSSySo.

ARE WE SO DUMB, HO HAS HEARD OF NATURAL OCCURING PLANTS THAT HAVE RESISTANCE TO HERBICIDES, WHAT KIND OF FALLACY IS THIS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Step By Step Guide For Growing Tomato--pictures / We Now Buy Plantain In Large Quantity / Female Agriculture N-power Beneficiary Shares Pictures Of Her Products

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.