Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,940 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? (2160 Views)

Applying For First-time British Passport In Naija / Travellig To Nigeria On A British Passport But Without A Visa Or Nigerian Passpo / Travel To The Usa With British Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 28, 2008
How does one quality to get British passport?
Re: How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? by HRhotness(f): 11:06am On Nov 28, 2008
yes it is true

d law was abolished in 1982
Re: How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? by MrCrackles(m): 11:06am On Nov 28, 2008
Yes you missed out!

It stopped in 1981

Sorry sad
Re: How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? by Moyola(f): 11:06am On Nov 28, 2008
LOL

iz diz really true? lipsrsealed
Re: How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? by MrCrackles(m): 11:07am On Nov 28, 2008
HR.hotness:

yes it is true

d law was abolished in 1982

Actually it was towards the end of 1981 Ms!! cheesy wink

But u may be right, might not have fully kicked in until 1982, but i am sure it was 1981
Re: How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? by MrCrackles(m): 11:07am On Nov 28, 2008
Say goodbye to the UK passport mate! grin
Re: How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? by HRhotness(f): 11:09am On Nov 28, 2008
MrCrackles:

Actually it was towards the end of 1981 Ms!! cheesy wink

But u may be right, might not have fully kicked in until 1982, but i am sure it was 1981

i'm pretty sure it was beginnig of '82. . . cuz thats d yr my mum moved to london tongue
Re: How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? by Nobody: 11:23am On Nov 28, 2008
so the law is real.chei!
Re: How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? by Thadude(m): 2:14pm On Nov 28, 2008
lol, u almost sounded as if u were not sure of ur birth place.
U might not be able to secure a british P right away but u could be considered priviledge and walk ur way through it if u really want it, although it could take sometime, e.g during visa application cos of ur birth place will be put into serious consideration and if u get to the UK and u wanna apply for asylum with a good lawyer, ur birth place could also help. This is just a common sense observation, i dont live there neither have i been there before.
Re: How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? by femigirl(f): 9:16pm On Nov 28, 2008
the offical cut of date was 1st Jan 1983, you can still get it after this day if you parents were British Citizen at the time. Read below

If you were born outside the United Kingdom or a qualifying territory
Who has citizenship?
This page explains the circumstances in which someone who was born outside the United Kingdom or a qualifying territory may be a British citizen.

If you were born outside the United Kingdom before 1 January 1983

If you were born outside the United Kingdom before 1 January 1983, you became a British citizen if, immediately before that date, you were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies and had the right of abode in the United Kingdom.

You may have had citizenship of the United Kingdom and Colonies by descent from a father who had that citizenship, or because you were registered or naturalised as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies.

If you have a passport issued before 1 January 1983 that describes you as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies on page 1, you will almost certainly have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983 as long as page 5 says 'Holder has the right of abode in the United Kingdom'.

However, if you had the right of abode because you were registered under the British Nationality (No2) Act 1964, you will not normally have become a British citizen on 1 January 1983 unless your mother became a British citizen then.

You may have had right of abode if:

you were adopted, naturalised or registered as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies in the United Kingdom (except in certain circumstances);
you had been legally settled in the United Kingdom and ordinarily resident there for five years; or
when you were born, you had a parent who was a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies because he/she was born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the United Kingdom (except in certain circumstances), or because one of your grandparents was.
If you were born outside the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983

This section also applies to you if you were born outside a qualifying territory on or after 21 May 2002 and had a parent who was a British citizen.

Whether or not you are a British citizen depends on the type of citizenship your parents had. This may be British citizenship by descent or otherwise than by descent.

British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So if you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and one of your parents was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, you are a British citizen by descent. If you were born before 1 July 2006 you may not qualify if your parents were not married at the time of your birth.

However, you are a British citizen otherwise than by descent if at the time of your birth one of your parents was a British citizen in Crown service, designated service, or service of a European Community institution and he/she was recruited to that service:

in the United Kingdom;
in the United Kingdom or a qualifying territory (if you were born on or after 21 May 2002); or
in the European Community (for service with a European Community institution).
If you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and your parents were British citizens by descent, you are not a British citizen. However, you may be able to apply to register as a British citizen (see registration of a child).

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/othernationality/Britishcitizenship/bornoverseas/
Re: How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? by femigirl(f): 9:26pm On Nov 28, 2008
Also check out  British Nationality Act 1981 for  more  info
Re: How Does One Qualify To Get British Passport? by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 01, 2008
thanks femigirl,the dude and y'all for clarifying the issue for me. p.p.preciateit

(1) (Reply)

Help!!! Was My Sister Scammed / How Can I Get A Visa To South Korea / I Need Advise To Complete A Uk Visit Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.