Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,348 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

How To Start Your Own Fish Farm - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Start Your Own Fish Farm (15284 Views)

Starting Up My Fish Farm. / Bush Dog Killed In Our Fish Farm This Morning / How To Start A Profitable Tilapia Fish Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by Ucbiu(m): 8:50am On Oct 09, 2015
UR A BIG FOOL cool
anonimi:
I hope Buhari will not KILL off local businesses and the capacity to create EMPLOYMENT for our youths through cheap IMPORTS like he has just done for rice:

I wonder how the old pensioner who confessed he cannot perform at 72 will deliver his campaign promises:

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkytaHR0cDovL2Nkbi0wMS5uYWlqLmNvbS9vL3dObkJ2Mmc1cFl6QjJkblFua0UycVZJTy5qcGc=.prx.r800x600.3eeade4c.jpg[/img]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2236329_fbimg1426964019374_jpegf0426a8233bbbeb8b2d08838e693f36e
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by 400billionman: 8:54am On Oct 09, 2015
anonimi:
I hope Buhari will not KILL off local businesses and the capacity to create EMPLOYMENT for our youths through cheap IMPORTS like he has just done for rice:

I wonder how the old pensioner who confessed he cannot perform at 72 will deliver his campaign promises:

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkytaHR0cDovL2Nkbi0wMS5uYWlqLmNvbS9vL3dObkJ2Mmc1cFl6QjJkblFua0UycVZJTy5qcGc=.prx.r800x600.3eeade4c.jpg[/img]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2236329_fbimg1426964019374_jpegf0426a8233bbbeb8b2d08838e693f36e

Opening Nigeria to rice importation is a cool way of declaring unemployment for rice farmers who obviously their crude means of production which has not been optimized to attain economies of scale will make locally manufactured rice costlier than imported variety.

It is a pity when the government of the day is killing off farming and encouraging dumping. I dont know if bubu has ever heard that America helps its farmers so much that they can buy and dump excess rice into the sea to assist rice farmers have a favourable price for their goods in a year of over production.

God help naija.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by anonimi: 8:54am On Oct 09, 2015
Ucbiu:
UR A BIG FOOL cool

Please explain.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by anonimi: 8:56am On Oct 09, 2015
400billionman:
Opening Nigeria to rice importation is a cool way of declaring unemployment for rice farmers who obviously their crude means of production which has no been optimized to attain economies of scale will make locally manufactured rice costlier than imported rice..

It is a pity when the government of the day is killing off the people and the economy..

As it:

- was in 1984
- is now and
- ever shall be

with the cattle herder that was packaged and sold to us on 28 March.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2095210_worst_jpeg588f192a23aa02a7b350a8bbe5d18306

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by 400billionman: 9:00am On Oct 09, 2015
anonimi:

As it:

- was in 1984
- is now and
- ever shall be

with the cattle herder that was packaged and sold to us on 28 March.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2095210_worst_jpeg588f192a23aa02a7b350a8bbe5d18306

They preferred an illiterate to a PhD holder. I dont care what they suffer. One thing i have promised myself is accelerated self development under Buhari.

Business magnates get richer in times of recession. A good example is Donald Trump who rebuilt abandoned chioce properties in New York city.

A lot of Nigerians lack foresight. The Jonathan government was churning out positive policies on daily basis in different sectors, railway, automotive, mining, agriculture which even foreigners gave credit to. But they wanted immediate results. Today, what we hear is that Ministers are noisemakers. This is 5 months running, ministers have not assumed their portfolios. Kachikwu a seasoned technocrat proposed the sale of refineries, he refused. The CBN governor is on his side complaining of the absence of fiscal policies to steer the economy. The army is on their side doing Press up while boko haram gained entry into Abuja again and they are bombing almost daily

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by Omoedeki: 9:12am On Oct 09, 2015
UniqueGem:
My Uncle has 5 very big fish ponds in his Ikorodu farm. The fishes in about 2 of them are so very big you'd think they swallowed a baby. I think the most expensive thing about fish farming is buying the feeds, thats if you alread have a land. He showed me two ponds he just started, the fishes were matured already, while we fed them, he told me that -that bag of feed was the 29th bag in just 25days. He feeds them 3X a day. Though i didn't ask how much the bags of feeds were sold but i know its surely not less that 1k at least.
So Nice work OP, i can surely help in providing answers to some of the questions here.
A bag is #4000 minimum for local feeds
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by sosodevf(m): 9:17am On Oct 09, 2015
Love fish... Esp barbeque
Nicepoker:
barbeque is that a fish name?
Guy Allow D child Be

1 Like

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by 400billionman: 9:18am On Oct 09, 2015
j1mmy:
tell that to all those stupid Nigerians who are spending thousands of dollars in the desert to get to europe

They are confused. There is no greener pasture outside this land. They just travel out of confusion and frustration. Imagine a graduate who has not found job 2 years post NYSC.

Some parents are not helping matters. They still raise their kids with a mentality of " Get your degree and get a good job "...

2 Likes

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by ghettodreamz(m): 9:37am On Oct 09, 2015
UniqueGem:
My Uncle has 5 very big fish ponds in his Ikorodu farm.

What kind of pond is he using? Earthen or concrete?
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by nikaShow(m): 9:42am On Oct 09, 2015
Get an Asher Mobile Pond! Most people who don't have land or too much money should know now that with a mobile pond, you can start in your house if You have 'water'.

We can also lecture You through, from stocking to harvest! Contact us on 08161385163

1 Like

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by UniqueGem(m): 9:43am On Oct 09, 2015
ghettodreamz:

What kind of pond is he using? Earthen or concrete?
Earthen
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by taoyadeyi: 9:44am On Oct 09, 2015
We are pleased to invite you to our last Aquaculture (Fish) training program for the year (more focus on fingerlings production, feed formulation, fish disease prevention & treatment, and writing business plan) which holds between Wed. 21-Thur 22 October 2015 at FIPAMAT Complex, Animal Care, Ogere Remo, Ogun State by 9am daily. Fee is N20, 000 /participant. (Early payment before 16 October attracts 10% discount) Register early! Call 08076292148/08050497862 for details. Thank you

[quote author=myjobsfinder post=28339831]A fish farm or fish based business could easily generate a good amount of money.

Even if you are not a traditional fish farmer, you could easily make a steady income from your home, using aquaculture fish farming techniques.

Fish is increasingly becoming more popular as a source of protein, and it could easily feed a small family with little cost or overheads.

There are also other benefits of fish farming.

Starting your own business

Starting any kind of business needs knowledge and experience in the related field. If you are new to the fishing business, it might be a good idea to start small and gather experience as you progress.

Managing a business requires many of the administrative skills, be it fish farming or any other business. It also means that you will not have a boss to give you directions and you will have to make decisions on your own, or with your partners.

Your first step - gain knowledge

To start your own in the aquaculture fish industry, you must first learn all about fish farming. Learning about fish farms will prepare you to make educated decisions.

Visit some of the fish farms in your locality or meet with people just like you who have entered the fish industry. The internet is vast source of knowledge.

Consider signing up for classes visit webinars and such, if you can, to gather more information about the business.

Every business has its own challenges, and you should do whatever it takes to gain firsthand knowledge about the business.

Taking a part time job at local fishery might also give you hands on experience.

Set your goals

Setting your goals before you start your business is very important at the beginning of your venture.

You should know exactly what you are going to produce, in what amounts, how many people you will need, how much money you will spend, and how much profit you can expect from your business.

This would be the first step for you towards making a business plan. Preparing a business plan will allow you to incorporate your business, get necessary government documents or licensing.

You will also need a business plan to get funding from a bank or get investors.

Analyze your market

Once you know what your options are and how much money you need, the next step should be analyzing your target market.

Who are your buyers?
What type of fish is most profitable?
How much can you supply?
Have you contacted anyone for your special needs or in case an emergency arises?
Have you considered all expenses associated with your business?

You need to think all these through.

Setup your business

Since you want to start small, you can setup a fishing pond right in your backyard. It is also possible to raise fish in a fish tank in your garage or indoors.

You can easily get all the supplies you need to set up your small fish farm and start fish farming. If you have buyers ready or know that you can easily sell your fish, make your fishing pond or tank big enough to make enough production.

1 Like

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by GreatManBee: 9:44am On Oct 09, 2015
myjobsfinder:
A fish farm or fish based business could easily generate a good amount of money.

Even if you are not a traditional fish farmer, you could easily make a steady income from your home, using aquaculture fish farming techniques.

Fish is increasingly becoming more popular as a source of protein, and it could easily feed a small family with little cost or overheads.

There are also other benefits of fish farming.

Starting your own business

Starting any kind of business needs knowledge and experience in the related field. If you are new to the fishing business, it might be a good idea to start small and gather experience as you progress.

Managing a business requires many of the administrative skills, be it fish farming or any other business. It also means that you will not have a boss to give you directions and you will have to make decisions on your own, or with your partners.

Your first step - gain knowledge

To start your own in the aquaculture fish industry, you must first learn all about fish farming. Learning about fish farms will prepare you to make educated decisions.

Visit some of the fish farms in your locality or meet with people just like you who have entered the fish industry. The internet is vast source of knowledge.

Consider signing up for classes visit webinars and such, if you can, to gather more information about the business.

Every business has its own challenges, and you should do whatever it takes to gain firsthand knowledge about the business.

Taking a part time job at local fishery might also give you hands on experience.

Set your goals

Setting your goals before you start your business is very important at the beginning of your venture.

You should know exactly what you are going to produce, in what amounts, how many people you will need, how much money you will spend, and how much profit you can expect from your business.

This would be the first step for you towards making a business plan. Preparing a business plan will allow you to incorporate your business, get necessary government documents or licensing.

You will also need a business plan to get funding from a bank or get investors.

Analyze your market

Once you know what your options are and how much money you need, the next step should be analyzing your target market.

Who are your buyers?
What type of fish is most profitable?
How much can you supply?
Have you contacted anyone for your special needs or in case an emergency arises?
Have you considered all expenses associated with your business?

You need to think all these through.

Setup your business

Since you want to start small, you can setup a fishing pond right in your backyard. It is also possible to raise fish in a fish tank in your garage or indoors.

You can easily get all the supplies you need to set up your small fish farm and start fish farming. If you have buyers ready or know that you can easily sell your fish, make your fishing pond or tank big enough to make enough production.

Buy your supplies at wholesale prices. You can find wholesale fish supply stores online as well.

Fish farming - Building sustainable fish farm in your backyard

If you have decided to operate from home, you could designate a place in your backyard for a pond. You could easily dig a pond, and put fish in it.

You may have to process your water to make it suitable for young fish. You can buy small bags of fish from hatchery near you.

Make them you feed your fish with appropriate proper diet and take care of your pond or fish tank.

Harvest your fish and enjoy!!!

You can check out more business related articles at http://bisthoughts.com/
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by UniqueGem(m): 9:44am On Oct 09, 2015
Omoedeki:

A bag is #4000 minimum for local feeds
4000?? Never expected it to be that expensive.
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by jokoyemi(m): 9:57am On Oct 09, 2015
UniqueGem:
My Uncle has 5 very big fish ponds in his Ikorodu farm. The fishes in about 2 of them are so very big you'd think they swallowed a baby. I think the most expensive thing about fish farming is buying the feeds, thats if you alread have a land. He showed me two ponds he just started, the fishes were matured already, while we fed them, he told me that -that bag of feed was the 29th bag in just 25days. He feeds them 3X a day. Though i didn't ask how much the bags of feeds were sold but i know its surely not less that 1k at least.
So Nice work OP, i can surely help in providing answers to some of the questions here.
A bag of fish is more than 1k as u said,d cheap once re sell @ d rate of 4 to 5 k.
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by Fundango: 10:15am On Oct 09, 2015
UniqueGem:
pls in my area we dont have well but we use water from taps supplied by the state water board which is constantly supply,can such kind of water be used for fish farming?
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by ghettodreamz(m): 10:33am On Oct 09, 2015
UniqueGem:
Earthen

Ok... Thanks
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by sammysammy111(m): 10:37am On Oct 09, 2015
pls wats cost of starting d bizness, pls i am intrested
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by UniqueGem(m): 10:59am On Oct 09, 2015
jokoyemi:
A bag of fish is more than 1k as u said,d cheap once re sell @ d rate of 4 to 5 k.
Fish feed you mean? Well like i said, i didn't ask him how much he bought the feeds, the 1k was just my estimation, but it seems i am very far behind.
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by UniqueGem(m): 11:01am On Oct 09, 2015
Fundango:
pls in my area we dont have well but we use water from taps supplied by the state water board which is constantly supply,can such kind of water be used for fish farming?
I don't know about this, but i'll surely help you ask.
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 09, 2015
Nicepoker:
barbeque is that a fish name?
...... Sarcasm? If not, Check my signature to have an idea of what she meant.
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by Gideon20(m): 12:44pm On Oct 09, 2015
Thanks for the info. I will surely get there!

1 Like

Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by bodekom92(m): 1:03pm On Oct 09, 2015
UniqueGem:
Are you kidding me? A bag of coppens costs about 6k, if not more (15kg)
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by chybyke4ly(m): 1:43pm On Oct 09, 2015
To get a bag of 6mm coppens,u nid 6k.yes fish farming can be lucrative if managed well(i.e physicochemical and microbial assessment, bacteria /fungal diseases assessment and management, hatchery management,source of fish seedlings matter too,feeding also playz a major role and overall, your marketing strategy). You need to have a theoretical and practical knowledge of these and some other factors that can decide d profitability of this biz venture. I studied this as a discipline for 5yrz in FUTO and i can tel u it payz if the aforementioned factors are carefully managed well, if not...... (fill in the gap, lovelies)
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by jam04(m): 3:56pm On Oct 09, 2015
One thing the Op missed out is that the business is not a get rich quick alternative. If you do it well, you will grow steadily.

Farmer union( fish section) is in round table discussion with ministry of agric on how to regulate the industry and also cut import. Catfish farming is a gold mine, who the wise see beyond the surface.
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by yakubuadeiza(m): 4:56pm On Oct 09, 2015
[quote author=sandrajazmin post=38807673] Love fish... Esp barbeque[/quote
open your mouth make I put am for you now................ grin cheesy
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by bigass123(m): 6:57pm On Oct 09, 2015
Seriously I dey suspect you..
You sure say... You no be lipsrsealed
Okay sha.. Me like catfish gan oh

Lilimax:
Interesting but I dislike CAT fish embarassed
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by babytejiri(m): 11:02pm On Jun 22, 2016
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by ultrazone(m): 12:48am On Jan 07, 2017
Re: How To Start Your Own Fish Farm by babytejiri(m): 1:04am On Apr 28, 2017
q[]ol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Battery Cages Specification For Layers / Lagos Acquires 2,134 Hectares Of Land In Other States To Boost Agriculture.. / Kaduna Dry Port Exports 5 Containers Of Ginger Weekly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.