Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,671 members, 7,816,759 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students (18916 Views)

Direct Entry Admission Into 200L In Foreign Universities With NCE Result / Foreign Universities In Affiliation With Nigerian Institutions. / Nigerian Students Are Record Setters And Breakers In Foreign Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by armadeo(m): 11:41am On Nov 29, 2014
ttmacoy:
One of my main concerns with this trend is the fact that the universities coming to Nigeria to advertise and chase students are NOT high ranking universities with good reputations.

As I tell people who come to me for advice on picking universities in the UK, if the university has to advertise and chase students, or if they cannot fill their places locally and have to go through clearing even for British students then as an international you will find it hard to get into good companies in the UK post graduation especially now where there is no post study worker visa and you need a company to sponsor you.

I find it interesting that you look at top universities in the UK and the nigerian population is small from say 1 admit a year at the likes of Oxford to a few more at the tier 2 universities, but nigerian make up nearly half of the population at schools like London met, East London uni, South bank etc.

Look at China, they use foreign universities to train their best and brightest that's why you will see high population of Chinese students at the likes of lse etc, for Nigeria it's more our of desperation and maybe a fad. Shame cus you go to uk or us student visa forums here on nairaland and everyone is asking which school is cheap, which doesn't ask for toefl or gmat etc. Looking for the cheapest and easiest to get into. Well if it's cheap and easy to get into them expect nothing special.

Well said.

Despite this truth the educational system in Nigeria is in shambles. It needs urgent restructuring before its untimely demise.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 29, 2014
eduxerxes:
Yes my brother. The uni where I currently work as an admissions liaison officer (PAUL university Awka) is direly in need of students. So do many other private universities...I keep wondering, whats the reason for the apathy?
if u ask me,na who I go ask.
Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 29, 2014
That's cool!
Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 29, 2014
Amefrica:
That's cool!

Who be this one?
What's cool now? angry

1 Like

Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 29, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Who be this one?
What's cool now? angry

Hahaha whatchu want me to say?
Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 29, 2014
kennaustine:
Right from the days of IBB the Baptist, Education in Nigeria has suffered violence and the violent taketh it by force. grin
But those who cant afford intellectual violence flee to other countries. tongue
Im more concerned with the negative impact this makes on our economy because we are literally importing education and enriching other countries.
But all i know is an average thoroughbred graduate in Nigeria who taketh his Bsc by intellectual forcegrin will outwit many foreign counterpart by any intellectual standards.
Nigeria we hail thee...
What do you mean by intellectual violence
Cramming does not equates to intelligence.
Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 29, 2014
ttmacoy:
One of my main concerns with this trend is the fact that the universities coming to Nigeria to advertise and chase students are NOT high ranking universities with good reputations.

As I tell people who come to me for advice on picking universities in the UK, if the university has to advertise and chase students, or if they cannot fill their places locally and have to go through clearing even for British students then as an international you will find it hard to get into good companies in the UK post graduation especially now where there is no post study worker visa and you need a company to sponsor you.

I find it interesting that you look at top universities in the UK and the nigerian population is small from say 1 admit a year at the likes of Oxford to a few more at the tier 2 universities, but nigerian make up nearly half of the population at schools like London met, East London uni, South bank etc.

Look at China, they use foreign universities to train their best and brightest that's why you will see high population of Chinese students at the likes of lse etc, for Nigeria it's more our of desperation and maybe a fad. Shame cus you go to uk or us student visa forums here on nairaland and everyone is asking which school is cheap, which doesn't ask for toefl or gmat etc. Looking for the cheapest and easiest to get into. Well if it's cheap and easy to get into them expect nothing special.
You are correct but the quality of education and mode of delivery you would receive in a University like south bank would be a lot better than that of Nigeria. e.g
When I was in OAU( classified as one of the best in Nigeria). Plagiarism was rampant among lecturers and students. Plagiarism would be seriously dealt with in the universities you listed above.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by GeneralShepherd(m): 1:54pm On Nov 29, 2014
phantonce:
What do you expect?
This is just like a case of man who can't satisfy his wife.
Na brother ogbonna,his landlord son go dey help am service him wife.

If you don't put your house in order,someone go to do it for you.

by the way,is it that we don't have enough university or we just dnt like studying in our country cos the last time I checked,private university plenty for naija.

I am actually studying in England and there is no comparison between a Nigerian private university and a standard UK university.

I am going to address engineering. A university is addressed by many matrics.

1. Facilities (for example Cranfield University where I study has the facilities that produce full size aircraft turbine engines.

2. The number of patents held by academia and former students of.a university.

3. Industry based projects developed in the university . Most of the gadgets you use, were developed from bachelor,masters and doctoral research works.

There is no comparison between a good university even in Russia with the best private university in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 29, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

I am actually studying in England and there is no comparison between a Nigerian private university and a standard UK university.

I am going to address engineering. A university is addressed by many matrics.

1. Facilities (for example Cranfield University where I study has the facilities that produce full size aircraft turbine engines.

2. The number of patents held by academia and former students of.a university.

3. Industry based projects developed in the university . Most of the gadgets you use, were developed from bachelor,masters and doctoral research works.

There is no comparison between a good university even in Russia with the best private university in Nigeria.
while I am compelled to agree with you cos I dnt school in france or england.

What has been the effect of the so called "foreign nigeria graduate" on the nigeria economy except from dragging unavailable jobs with nigeria graduates.

If u can't use something,why have it?

What also do u av to say about nigerians that study in a one room apartment university in ghana.
Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by harrwix(m): 2:28pm On Nov 29, 2014
Babysho:

"Soon"?...my cousin is studying there

grin grin grin
Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:34pm On Nov 29, 2014
phantonce:

while I am compelled to agree with you cos I dnt school in france or england.

What has been the effect of the so called "foreign nigeria graduate" on the nigeria economy except from dragging unavailable jobs with nigeria graduates.

If u can't use something,why have it?

What also do u av to say about nigerians that study in a one room apartment university in ghana.

I have never seen an article in my fields of study, B.eng(EE) and M.sc (Subsea engineering) from a Ghanian University. This should ring an alarm bell in the head of a prospective student that these universities are just like Nigerian universities. The differences maybe that they have better infrastructure and steady power supply. Reaserch is what makes a university .

Most Nigerians in my class here in Cranfield University are just interested in getting a degree and coming back to get a job in Nigeria. It can be argued that most of the Nigeria students in the UK on the PTDF and NDDC scholarships,did not merit such awards.

So do you expect them to think about changing Nigeria? Do they have the mental prowess for such achievements?

The other predominant group, are the students that are here simply because their parents are rich. Again their main goal is to get a degree for the Nigerian job. They are not interested in learning the subject matter, all they want are past question to get a distinction and hurry of to Nigeria to get the jobs reserved for them.

Unfortunately, the minority group we so need are the ones that are studying because they want to actually learn from established principles
and develop new ideas, but unfortunately they are in the minority.

The Nigerians that have the zeal to learn are simply not getting enough opportunity to learn in world class Universities. The few that struggle to get here are retained by the society because they are simply too good to be left to leave.

In Cranfield University over 40% of the total population of Msc and Doctoral students are from China on Chinese government scholarship. And that is how Chinese are found in top Universities around the world. Is then a surprise that the Chinese are now considered a force to reckon with?
Ironically, the number of Britons studying for Bsc , Msc and PHds is declining sharply. Most of the young highly skilled engineers, professors, doctors and scientists in the UK are not foreigners. Even top universities in UK like Imperial College ,UCL etc have majority of foreign students, despite the fact that school fees for home students are significantly cheaper .

Albert Einstein once said that Education is what is left when what was learnt has been forgotten.

So in my opinion these factors I mentioned are the contributing factors to our technological comatose.
Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 29, 2014
saxywale:
Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 29, 2014
saxywale:
Did I ever mention cramming in my post?? SMH Never you quote me again.
Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by ttmacoy: 2:47pm On Nov 29, 2014
Good points. I guess it confirms out educational sector is in shambles and needs to be sorted out urgently.

I wept for Nigeria when I heard people are going as far as Rwanda all in the name of I studied abroad. As the so called giant of Africa, Nigeria should be the hub in education, health, tourism, financial centers etc in West Africa at the very least if not all of Africa, instead we have schools in countries like Ghana which operate in porta kabins exploiting nigerian students who are so desperate given the education situation in Nigeria.

saxywale:

You are correct but the quality of education and mode of delivery you would receive in a University like south bank would be a lot better than that of Nigeria. e.g
When I was in OAU( classified as one of the best in Nigeria). Plagiarism was rampant among lecturers and students. Plagiarism would be seriously dealt with in the universities you listed above.
Re: Foreign Universities Feast On Nigerian Students by Babysho(m): 8:10am On Nov 30, 2014
F117AA:
Your cousin must be a world class dunce to study in Niger-republic.
Which school is worth going there.?

Ask WikiHow

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abia State School Children Receive Free Made In Aba Shoes (photos) / IBB University Discovers Crude Oil In Bida Basin / Nigerian Wins Queen Of Africa Students In Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.