Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

My Flash/short Stories Collection - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Flash/short Stories Collection (16375 Views)

Flash Short Story: Death At The Border. / E. Fantasy(short Stories) / My Short Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Otunbakay(m): 11:44pm On Jan 04, 2015
Master piece!
Enoquin are you for real? Anyway we will have a date someday.

You're blessed, talented and highly gifted. Just keep your focus, that place you are dreaming and praying to get to would only be the starting point for you.

I appreciate your literary work. I love it! I truly do.

2 Likes

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 12:47am On Jan 05, 2015
grin My head dey swell oh. Thanks a lot.

Otunbakay:
Master piece!
Enoquin are you for real? Anyway we will have a date someday.

You're blessed, talented and highly gifted. Just keep your focus, that place you are dreaming and praying to get to would only be the starting point for you.

I appreciate your literary work. I love it! I truly do.
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:51am On Jan 12, 2015
FUSED THOUGHTS – A TALE FROM TWO WOMEN I

Stifling a yawn, I got up from the bed and peeked at the time. It was nearly 5.30am, time for me to get up anyway. Sighing, I got up and shuffled to the bathroom to relieve myself before opening the door to go out of the bedroom to the kitchen.

I was careful not to wake my husband of 8 years by not putting on the light. He usually woke by 6.20am and from then conducted morning devotions. So I had an hour and fifteen minutes to make sure breakfast was ready and that the kids got up and got ready for school. It didn’t matter if I was bone-tired or sick, the routine never changed.

Opening the kitchen door, I sighed as I switched on the rechargeable lamp that I usually left on a close counter for sudden outages. The electricity went out just before I got to the kitchen door and so my task just got harder since I would have to do everything in semi-darkness. The freezer has been bad for a while now which meant I had to warm last night’s stew and white rice and the soup I cooked two days back as well.

Picking a broom, I swept the kitchen floor. The garbage truck was not going to come till the next day and my trash was already filled. Putting the soup on the cooker, I quickly washed our dirty plates that were stacked in the sink. I needed help around the house but my husband wouldn’t hear of it. His argument was that having help – paid for or live-in - made a woman lazy and the children insolent; wonder where in the world he got that from not that he lent a helping hand to relieve me a bit.

The soup was beginning to boil slightly so I opened the pot, peered into it and turned it. We would have to manage the soup later this evening especially now the meat in it had finished. Everything was so expensive these days.
“Na wa for this country self. A single woman cannot purchase food items with N5,000; how much more a married woman with children?” I grumbled out loud
“Why are you talking to yourself in the dark?” My husband asked startling me. I didn’t expect him up yet.
“Good morning, is it time for devotion?”
“No, Lily is crying.”
Was it not obvious that I was busy?
“Did you hear what I said?”
“Carry her if she is crying now.” I replied barely keeping my anger in check.
“How do you want me to do that? I am preparing for devotion.”
“And I am busy in the kitchen except you want to take over from me while I go and pick her up.”
“What is that supposed to mean? Is it not too early for insults?”
Careful to keep my voice neutral, I replied “How have I insulted you? I am warming the soup and washing the plates…”
“So it would kill you to drop the plates and put off the fire?”
Slowly, I dropped the plates, rinsed my hands; put off the fire and walked out slightly brushing him.
Picking up the crying Lily, I shook her brothers awake. My husband didn’t want Lily sleeping in our bedroom.
“Ssh…mummy is here. Lily…my…lily…the most beautiful girl…” I sang-talk to her as her brothers sluggishly got up.
“Good morning mummy,” Jeremiah, my first son greeted me.
“Morning dear, both you and Emmanuel should lay your beds while I get your sister quiet.”
“Good morning mummy,” Emmanuel piped out.
“Morning Emmanuel, please, no quarrels with your elder brother this morning. Lay the bed and then both of you should get into the bathroom; let me get back to the kitchen. Lily say hello to your brothers.”
The boys came and tickled Lily and got her to smile.
“Mummy leave her with us,” Jeremiah pleaded while extending his hands towards Lily. Lily, already quiet though refused the proffered hands preferring to cling to my hip.
Going back to the kitchen, I tried completing my task with one hand. The plates would be dealt with maybe after I got back from work. The kitchen was still dark I didn’t want to drop Lily so she wouldn’t bump into anything and yet I was behind schedule already, the morning was already turning out to be frustrating than it was. And then it happened, the fire sputtered out. I was out of gas at 6.00 in the morning and I didn’t have a back-up stove.
Well, the stew wouldn’t get spoilt anyways. Thank God I had warmed the soup earlier; the rice was okay a bit. We would have to take the rice cold perhaps with cold tea too.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:22am On Jan 13, 2015
“We are grateful ohhhhhh loooordddddd….” The worship song from my neighbours downstairs woke me from my deep sleep. Their devotion time was an alarm for me.
Yawning, I got up and stretched. Gosh, I hated having to go to work. Wish I could just lie all day and make money on my back. Now, that sounds corny.
I didn’t even know what I wanted for breakfast. Oh my goodness, I feel so sleepy. Perhaps I should…
The knock on the door woke me. It was nearly 7am, no more breakfast for me. I had dozed off while sitting upright on the bed, that’s how lazy I felt today.
The knock became a bit intensified.
The only person that did that was the Landlord’s son when it was time to pay the monthly light bill. It wasn’t even close to the end of the month yet. The knock was becoming a bit annoying. For heaven’s sake, it was a working day! Nobody goes around knocking on people’s door as if they had come to collect a debt.
Getting up angrily, I stomped to the door and flung it open
“Yes?” I angrily blurted out. It came out before I saw who it was.
“Good morning Aunty Shola, I am sorry for bothering you so early this morning.”
It was the woman from downstairs; she was dressed for work and was the last person I wanted to be rude to. I admired and liked her albeit from a distance.
“Good morning Ma Lily, sorry for shouting like that, I thought it was someone else.”
“No problem but please I need a favour. Do you have a stove I can borrow at least to warm my children’s meal this morning…my gas just finished.”
“No sorry, I don’t have a stove…” I replied shaking my head. I suddenly felt like kicking myself, why on earth didn’t I have a stove; could have saved the poor woman from the embarrassment of climbing the stairs to ask me. Our other neighbours were not people to be approached. I watched her walk away.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:05am On Jan 14, 2015
How embarrassing can things get? Shola was the only neighbour I could approach. I wish the children had not rejected the cold breakfast. My husband had looked at me long and hard and said something about the Proverbs 31 woman. It was hardly my fault the gas finished when it did. I mentioned it to him two days back. God knows I have tried my best this morning, I was nearly running late and…
“Ma Lily?” I looked up. It was Shola. I had nearly reached the bottom of the stairs. She walked down towards me. “Sorry, why not bring your pot up and use my gas? You would at least be done before I finish from the bathroom…”
“Are you okay with that?” I asked my eyes were getting misty.
“No problem, I will leave the door open.”
“Thank you and God bless you.” My voice nearly cracked from the emotions that were already welling inside.
Hurrying inside, I bumped into my husband and a crying Lily.
“Where have you been?”
“Upstairs…” I replied heading towards the kitchen.
“Lily is crying.”
“I can hear her but I need to get hot water from our neighbour upstairs and warm the rice for the children.”
“So, what will happen to Lily?”
I turned with the pot and water flask and faced him. “What kind of a question is that?”
“And what kind of a reply is that? Are you starting to take me for granted, first it was this morning in the kitchen and now this?” His voice was dangerously rising.
“What would you have me do, what! Do I clone myself into three so that one would take care of the children, the other one you and the last the household? What sort of man doesn’t help his wife out or allow others to?”
“What are you raising your voice at me for, do you want to be beaten this morning?”
I walked calmly to him, still with the pot and flask in my hands and then spoke quietly “Hold Lily, if you cannot put her down on the floor.”
Turning, I walked and was nearly out when I felt the pull on my shirt. I was spun around too quickly and before I could drop the pot and protect my head the first blow landed.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by kwencypresh(f): 12:11pm On Jan 14, 2015
Haaaa wife beater

Nice story
Nice write up
Ur no 1 fan
Keep it up

1 Like

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 10:37am On Jan 16, 2015
II
The pot and flask fell as I quickly stifled a scream. The blows landed on my back and side as I cowered down shielding myself as much as I could especially my face. As always, I didn’t want the children or the neighbours to know but this time Lily saw and perhaps knew. My husband had dropped her on the couch, thank God.
It was her cry that made me look up and that was when one of the blows landed on my face. My husband saw me cradling my face and backed away.

None of the children had ever witnessed my battering. It was something that had always been done in private and we had always been careful not to touch my face. It was like an unwritten horrid agreement between us never to let anyone know but we had broken the rules, we had forgotten about Lily.
My jaw didn’t feel like mine and I remained cowered slowly willing my body to move, praying that the boys didn’t come out.

There was no point dwelling on what had just happened. I needed to get up, warm the rice and get hot water. The children’s breakfast would go in their lunch box. Most of the rice was on the floor, still not looking at Lily, I scooped the rice careful not to take in dirt or sand.
I really wished Lily would stop crying but I didn’t trust my voice and so couldn’t call any of my sons to help me. I also didn’t want to carry her into Shola’s flat. Taking a deep breath, I willed calm into my voice ready to call Jeremiah but just then, Benjamin, my second son came in.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 10:39am On Jan 16, 2015
kiss
kwencypresh:

Haaaa wife beater

Nice story
Nice write up
Ur no 1 fan
Keep it up
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 10:13am On Jan 19, 2015
I heard a knock as I was stepping out of the bathroom. That should be Ma Lily; she was coming in a bit late. I had less than ten minutes to leave the house.
Opening the door, I wanted to ask why she was late but I saw someone else. This was not the woman who had knocked my door with urgency few minutes back. She evaded my eyes and the hands that held the pot and flask were a bit unsteady.
Wordlessly, I pointed towards the kitchen and watched her walk stiffly in. Perhaps I should ask her what was wrong; the change was alarming.
“Ma Lily, is something wrong?”
A slight shake of the head was what I got in return. She had her back to me and wouldn’t even acknowledge my concerned attempt. I couldn’t stand forever wishing she would talk.
Turning, I walked away.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:42am On Jan 20, 2015
“Is there anything too hard for God to do?” I came in to hear our Pastor’s words. That particular sermon was one of my husband’s favourite. Jeremiah and Benjamin ran in dragging my handbag and greeted their father as I carried Lily in.
“Good evening,” I greeted him a bit formally, moving towards the room.
“Hmm…welcome.” He had his Bible and jotter open and pretended to be engrossed in the sermon but I knew.
He was always uncomfortable after any altercation perhaps he felt ashamed and embarrassed as I felt too. Why didn’t dialogue work for us as it did for others?
Dropping Lily, I unbuttoned my shirt. Today’s work had been a little tasking. I felt like lying on the bed and never getting up for at least two days but I couldn’t for the moment because I needed cooking gas.
My body felt stiff as I undressed into my house clothes. Removing Lily’s shoes I quickly undressed her and left her to her devices.
Giving the kitchen a quick glance, I saw that everything was as I left it in the morning. That meant that there was no miracle, no surprise filled gas tank. The rice in the sitting room would have been on the floor too if I hadn’t mandated one of my sons to sweep it in the morning.
Walking into the sitting room, I paused and took a breath. “Please, can you help me get gas? There’s no gas for cooking this evening.”
“You should have said so before leaving the house in the morning.”
“Sorry, I forgot.”
“So, I should leave this sermon because of cooking gas?” He asked, stretching as he got up.
I watched as he took his sweet time. I wanted to scream, let it all out or take a walk far from everything, just somewhere I could catch my breath.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:47am On Jan 21, 2015
I was dead tired and so glad to be home. Did I say how much I hated work? My boss used the ‘you are a lifesaver’ line on me anytime I wanted to give it all up. My phone rang as I was lazily climbing the stairs. It was my fiancé.
“Hello boo,” I cooed into the mouth piece. And then, “Hey, leave that place!” I yelled at one of my neighbour’s children.
The Arrow was throwing stones at my car.
“Chijiiiiii…..oke!” The Arrow’s mother yelled from their verandah. “Leave that place before dey use eye kill you oh! I no wan hear any ng.bati ngb.ati this evening.”
“Why won’t you hear okoro okoro this evening when your child cannot greet his elders.”
“Shey as you yaself greet me abi? Na me tie your womb abi na me nefa give you husband…anuofia!”
“You are one thousand times mad. Is it by spouses and children? This your children that look science experiments gone wrong. No go look for work oh, stay for house turn to amoeba, nonsense!”
Fumbling with my door, I opened the door and stumbled inside breathing hard. It was then I realized that I hadn’t disconnected my call.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 10:39am On Jan 22, 2015
"I want to open a shop. I want us to have extra income,” I said, whilst arranging the wardrobe.
“Who will stay in the shop?”
“We will get someone while you supervise.”
“What will you be doing all the while, supervise me?”
“Why will you say a thing like that? I just want something to occupy your time; I know it must be hard for…”
“Did I not say so?” His sudden interruption had me bewildered.
“W…what do you mean?” I stuttered, hating how he had backed me again into a corner.
“When women earn money they begin to think they can dictate the lives of others. This morning you were busy complaining of the soup in the kitchen, you later had to go upstairs begging to warm meals and perhaps talk on how difficult life is for you; so people would pity you and have contempt for me. Now, I am fit for a shop.”
There was no need to give a response, I had again lost control of a simple conversation; but he continued.
“All of a sudden, you have got wings. I put you through school, opened a shop for your mother and now I am fit for a shop. If I still had my job, would you have recommended I supervise a shop? Wouldn’t you have done it yourself, regardless of how tight your schedule was? When I lose my anger, one would think I am not justified. They might look at me and call me a wife beater but what about the wife who throws veiled insults and makes it look innocent? What do they call those kind of women?”
I couldn’t hold it in anymore; it didn’t matter if my body still ached. “What woman gives her monthly salary to a man that doesn’t work, so that the man gives her a stipend from her own sweat? Where is it written in the Bible that you should not lift your hands to help? The virtuous woman you keep comparing me to, did she not have help at home and in her estate and vineyard?”
“At least she was a virgin,” he bit back.
“So, my not being a virgin when we married is the cause of all our problems? It is why you have no interest in the children, why you would not help me? Did you not know I wasn’t a virgin before you asked for my hand in marriage?”
“The Pastor said that women who had defiled themselves bring spiritual problems that affect a home.”
“So, why in hell did you marry me, why do you sleep with me, why do we have s.ex? Why didn’t you listen to your Pastor? I would have been better off. I wouldn’t have had a man that beats me because he is weak. A man that reminds me of how wretched I was when he met me and yet won’t get off his lazy butt to look for a job but listens to sermons day in, day out. A filthy man who thinks self-righteousness takes him a step close to heaven.”
“Why are you shouting at me?”
“Why won’t I shout? Is it for me that I toil and sweat? Is it for love that my body aches every now and then? Eight years and all you think of is virginity…May God damn you to the hottest part of hell!”
“Hilda! How dare you…” He was unbuckling his belt.
“If you touch me, I will shout for everyone to know the beast you are.”
“Shout all you want, it won’t change anything.” He replied advancing towards me. He had forgotten that the door was open.

Our two boys were there looking at us frightened. I couldn’t cower this time, I didn’t want the boys to see me cowering like a thief, so, I leapt on the bed and when he tried to drag me down; I gave a violent kick where it would hurt the most and ran out.
I opened the sitting room door leading outside and screamed for help with all my might till the buckle landed on my back.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:56am On Jan 23, 2015
III

I held her just as the buckle hit her on the back. I had gone to check my car when I heard Ma Lily’s door open and a heart wrenching scream. I didn’t trust my crazy neighbour or her brats. The early evening spat might have caused them to do something crazy like deflating my tires, that’s how bothersome and crazy they were.

I ran to where Ma Lily was half of her in, half
out.
With one hand, I dragged at her while with the other I struggled for the belt. We were all screaming at each other whilst the children watched us, watched the adults indulge in their ‘favourite’ past time.
Ma Lily’s husband nearly succeeded in getting the belt from me till someone else grabbed the cursed belt from us both. It was the landlord’s son.
“What is wrong with you? Do you want to kill her?” He screamed at Ma Lily’s husband.
I left the men to have a go at each other, by then Lily had started crying. I couldn’t risk going in to take Lily not when the men were having an almost violent argument.
“Jeremiah, please carry your sister inside!” I yelled hoping that the deafening noise wouldn’t drown out my request.
But he seemed to have heard because he carried his sister who was wailing whilst resisting and dragged his other brother inside their room.

Turning my attention to Ma Lily, I half lifted her up the stairs towards my apartment. I didn’t think of the implications I just wanted her out of there.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 10:00am On Jan 26, 2015
I felt thoroughly ashamed. I have always perceived myself as a woman with dignity now all that was gone. Everyone now saw through my pretense, how pathetic my life was. I thought about what Shola had said. She wanted me to leave him but it was easier said than done. Lily was still a toddler, Jeremiah and Benjamin didn’t deserve me tearing them away from their father and I couldn’t bear to leave them behind as well; I doubted their father would give them up without a fight. The idea was tempting but I wasn’t strong enough to carry it out.

There was a thick tension in the house and I had started sleeping in the children’s room, I only went to the room to take the clothes I’d wear for work. I couldn’t even dress in there, didn’t want someone strangling me from behind because that was how he looked at me these days like a filthy heathen fit to be killed.
The children too were quiet and everyone walked on tip-toes. We carried on that way till it happened.
Jeremiah answered the door that day.
“How are you? Where are your parents?” The voice asked.
“Fine, they are inside. Please sit down sir.”
I had avoided him since the day his son came to help and wondered what he wanted. I heard my husband greet him cautiously.
“Good afternoon sir just came to remind you that your rent would expire next month; and you know how it is done. You write to us so we would know what to do once the time is up.”
“No problem sir. We will communicate as usual.”
“It’s okay, abeg don’t fight again oh. This life is an easy one. I hope Ma Lily is fine?”
“Yes sir, thank you.”
“Greet the children for me.”
“They will hear sir.”
That evening after a quiet dinner, my husband finally spoke. Apart from the basic greetings and food announcement, we had said nothing to each other for two weeks plus.
“When will the house rent be ready?”
I had been expecting the question, “I don’t know.”
Silence and then “Is this like a punishment or what?”
“Look, I don’t want to get in a fight…”
“Really? Because it looks like you have just thrown the gauntlet. What was your reply supposed to prove?”
“Okay, I don’t feel like paying the house rent. I need the money for something else.”
“Like what?”
“Something else,” I replied with a shrug.
“So we get thrown out on the streets because you have a grudge?”
Silence
“Hilda?”
“John”
“Do you have anything to say?”
“Nothing”

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by HizMissy(f): 12:48pm On Jan 26, 2015
a jobless wifebeater?
Olorun Maje!
Nice job!
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:55am On Jan 28, 2015
Every time I passed their door, I could barely restrain myself. I wanted to knock and inquire on how she was doing but I knew my limits.
I couldn’t go to her; she had to come to me. We were communicating via text messages though. After my plea for her to leave fell through, I had to put a little emotional distance between us; didn’t want her giving me unnecessary heartache.

And yet this week, something about her had changed. She no longer cowered when walking. I had always seen her after the incident darting into her apartment, wanting to escape probing eyes but not this week. I wanted to ask what had change but couldn’t dare, if she wanted me to know she would reach out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:46am On Jan 29, 2015
He watched her transformation at first with contempt and then a growing sense of alarm. Yes, he had anger issues and sometimes found it hard to control it. It really was something he tried to work on but his fists sometimes brought out the worst in him what with the help of his wife’s attitude. Yes, she was putting her all into helping the family but which Nigerian wife shouldn’t; men did it all the time why not women?

It was frustrating trying your hand out at different businesses and failing at them. It made him feel like less of a man. He wanted to be able to live life without struggling to rise above financial worries. It was that way before, long before the second child came so what had changed?

He had thought that her decision to sleep in the children’s room was going to be temporary but it was dragging on and he couldn’t let go of his pride to ask her to come back to their bed but this business of her not wanting to pay the rent was not only humiliating to himself but to them as a family. He had not wanted to think much about it but he couldn’t stop the growing panic.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by stuff46(m): 2:25pm On Jan 29, 2015
Dyoungstar:
It's my honour to reckon with every writer and reader here

What has been happening to the writers in this forum is no longer acceptable in this age and time.

One does not wash his hands clean only to crack nuts for the chicken.

A dog cannot after eating shit and the sheep's teeth get stained.

He that goes about setting the world ablaze, will always come for more matches.

It is so sad that Seun and his league of extra ordinary MODs whom 90% of them are sadist especially to literature section and writers does not have any reasonable solution to proffer to our plight in the group. This kept me wondering if Seun actually created this site himself or he hired someone who does not know the nitty gritty of programming to design this site, much to my chagrin this site was design using joomla or a template design that cannot allow for further modification, hence Seun should have known that he can create a code in the literature section that'll disable copying of text in the group.

To make matters worse, Seun came up with a disclaimer that our posts are solely our responsibility to carter for. Whoever gave him that advise is wicked Because that statement has placed him in the shoes of sadist also.

I know that after reading this post either Seun or his worshippers called MODs will trash it and ban me for 1 year, this is not the first time of them doing it, so am prepared for the worst, all the same, our voices must be heard.

My fellow literature lovers, I implore you all to stop writing on NL for now until the management has digged out a lasting solution, then if you have a story running on NL be it literature, sexuality, diaries or any section; Because our adversary the plagiarist are looming around looking for stories to steal, and they are not willing to stop anytime soon.

So many people's works have been stolen by literature thieves from different countries.

I remember a Ghanaian stealing AudreyTims Unfulfilled Promises etc.

Therefore I suggest that everyone pauses his/her stories until there are tangible reasons to continue, moreover, we are not paid like the MODs to write, yet we are the ones suffering.

In a nut shell, let's abandon all stories till further notice even if it takes 2 years; meanwhile as a writer be writing and storing them in your books or system, you can even make money by publishing them into an ebook (contact me if you need assistance on the ebook thing, I'll definitely help). Lastly, pull down half of your story from NL and let's see how they'll steal them.

Thanks for your candid response.

Signed:
#LET'S FIGHT PLAGIARISM GROUP ON WHATSAPP

#SayNoToPlagiarism.

MODs am waiting for your ban.

Note: Seun and his MODs can't do anything more than what they are doing but they can help disable copy and paste and stop banning people for saying their minds.
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 10:16am On Jan 30, 2015
I am growing stronger in my resolve to take a decision on whether I would ask for a separation or pay the rent. The rent was the focal point because paying it would mean I was committing myself. I no longer looked embarrassed when I left the ‘cover’ of the apartment to step outside. At first, the neighbours had been evasive and uncharacteristically nice till Chijioke’s mother began her trouble making again; a welcome development because I couldn’t stand her pitiable efforts at being nice.

Coming back with the children, I opened the door expecting to see my husband on his usual spot on the sofa. It didn’t really strike me as strange perhaps he was in the bedroom. The children had run right in oblivious to anything and were making a lot of chatter. None noticed the change but I did, it wasn’t only the empty sofa, it was something else, a change in the air.
For the first time in forever, an aroma came from the kitchen, something I wasn’t responsible for.
I walked to the kitchen, heart pounding and saw him stirring a pot. The sight did more to me than I thought it would. It rendered me speechless. Sensing my presence, he turned.
“Welcome, how was work?”
“Good…afternoon…fine”
“No hug for your husband?”
My mouth opened but no words came out. And then my resolve crumbled there and then. Yes, it might be a trap but I don't want to think too much about that. I just want my husband and my children together in one house.
Maybe things would get better and maybe not. Maybe, I would think more on this later but for now, my husband needed a hug and I was going to give him one.

THE END

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 11:07am On Jan 30, 2015
[quote author=stuff46 post=30242444][/quote]

Most of my works here are on another site plus copying from the web isn't that hard so writers are encouraged to put out good stories but not their best.
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 10:35am On Feb 16, 2015
THE WOMAN DESTROYED
I

The alarm’s continuous beep was quite annoying. It was the first Sunday of the week and I didn’t feel like going to church. Seeing that I had a lot to be thankful for, I didn’t understand my reluctance. Perhaps it was because I had been shopping all throughout Saturday getting ready for the surprise party I was throwing for my husband today. Snuggling deeper under the covers, I dragged the pillow and inhaled my husband’s scent. I use to tease him about his scent and how I sometimes missed the scent more than I missed him and then he’d kid me about leaving me someday and leaving his scent behind since I was so in love with his scent. My ringing phone interrupted my thoughts.
“Hello good morning,” I mumbled sleepily into the phone. I knew who it was, only one person had a different ring-tone from the rest.
“Morning babe, you are still asleep?” My husband’s deep voice rumbled into my ear. Aah! I guess I forgot to mention that I was crazy about his voice as well. Always without fail, it made me tingle all over. The kind of tingle one got when a voice whispered huskily into your ear in the process of doing wicked things to you…yes, that kind of tingle.
“Something close to that…”
“No church?”
“I’m still thinking about it.”
“Are you also thinking about wishing me a happy birthday?”
“Gosh! Is it today?” I could swear my pretend act was top-notch but the man did not just fall for the bait.
“Yeah right! And what would my babe be thinking of that took her mind off me for just a teensy weensy bit?”
“Well, your scent of course. What else?”
“Oh poor me, I guess I forgot about that. I was thinking of postponing my trip back.”
“Adebiyi Oluwatobi Adesanya! Don’t dare me!” I exclaimed before catching on to the fact that I had just fallen for his bait. His laugh made me groan all the more. No man with that kind of voice should laugh that sexily into the ears of his wife that early in the morning especially not when she was Hot as hell.
“Seriously babe, I’d rather just look at your picture all day long here in Abuja than to come home to being the second best.”
“Try it and stand the risk of getting castrated. Did you know that our neighbour’s daughter Nkechi is pregnant?”
“What?! Has she been having sex?”
“Obviously, how else will she have gotten pregnant?”
“Well, we have heard of one case where it happened to a virgin perhaps her case might not be different as well.”
“Babe! Watch your mouth and stop being judgmental. Mistakes happen and can happen to anyone.”
“I hear you. You should get up and go to church babe. At least offer prayers on my behalf, thank God for me, for us and for everything.”
“I will and I guess I have to one more thing to add as well.”
“What is it?”
“Don’t worry; it can wait till you return.”
“I also have something to say as well, but I am afraid it’s not good news. You see…”
“Hush babe. Why not leave all that till you come back? Bad news shouldn’t be delivered over the phone. What if I swoon and collapse, who would know?”
“You can’t swoon; you are lying on the bed.”
“Whatever babe, keep the news till after we have at least made love, that way, it won’t totally be bad. I tell you mine and you tell me yours.”
Sighing my husband agreed. He didn’t know I was going to give him the news we have both been waiting for since the last 10 years. Nothing was wrong with the both of us, the doctor had said and we had tried and tried; methods, styles, everything. I guess it finally just happened in due time.
“So love, I have got to go, will hopefully see you later this evening. I will call Lanre to come and pick me.”
“I love you a million times, missed you all week and when you come back perhaps I might just force you to resign and be a house husband so that I will have you all to myself.”
“What happened to the woman who had always been proud of being an Engineer’s wife?”
“I guess she got bored, lonely and Hot.”
“Hmm…don’t get me too excited babe.”
“Why shouldn’t I? That should propel you to the airport fast enough and into my arms.”
Laughing I disconnected the call. Yes, I had a lot to do today.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by teamplayey: 7:04pm On Feb 16, 2015
Thanks, Enoquin for the share. I appreciate
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 7:25pm On Feb 16, 2015
teamplayey:
Thanks, Enoquin for the share. I appreciate
smiley You are welcome
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 10:19am On Feb 17, 2015
The evasive looks started just as I was putting the finishing touches to everything. It suddenly came to me that everyone had stopped chattering and was acting weird. Even Tara, the sweetest sister-in-law I have ever known rebuked her daughter who wanted to watch her favourite cartoon on television.
“Must you be childish always?!” Tara sharply rebuked Bimpe.
“Haba sister T, it’s just cartoon.” I said in a bid to make light of the situation.
“No, it’s just not cartoon Ronke, it’s just not fair.” With tears in her eyes which she quickly dabbed, she evaded my eyes and instead motioned to my younger sister to lead Bimpe out.
“What is it sister T? This is so unlike you.” I asked as I dropped the knife I was using to chop the last of the carrots. We were almost done in the kitchen.
“Nothing…you know,” sobs “you know…how our hormones make us cry over nothing sometimes.”
“Are you sure? This happened just after you received a phone call.”
“Really? I think not though. Come to think of it, I saw Hauwa my friend and she said she saw you at the hospital, were you ill?”
“No, I wasn’t,” smiling a bit shyly, I turned away; “just had some things to take care of.”
“Oh my God, you are smiling! Does that mean what I think it means? Jesus, Ronke! Gosh, oh my God!”
“Is that excessive joy or what? And here I thought that would cheer you up.”
Just then Ayo came into the kitchen; he must have heard his wife’s wail.
“Tara! What’s with the tears? Why are you behaving this childish?”
Now something was really wrong. Ayo rarely shouted at Tara, he was his name personified always laughing and taking things lightly. Were they having marital problems, should I leave them to settle it or try and settle it?
“Look guys, I hope there is no problem. Today is Bee’s birthday; I would want everyone to at least for his sake either solve any problems now or keep it till after the party, please?”
“Sorry Ronke…it’s just that…”
“Please excuse us,” Ayo said effectively interrupting Tara and dragging her out with him.
Now something was really wrong but I wasn’t going to dwell on it, perhaps Bee and I would laugh about it later but I just didn’t want anything to go wrong now.
Glancing at the clock, I saw that it was nearly 5, it was quite late, I should have heard the horn at the gate many minutes ago or perhaps they have been held up by traffic. Dialing Lanre to make sure that he didn’t forget our deal, I saw Tara’s blackberry notification light blinking. I hated those toys; I couldn’t imagine being disturbed every second by notifications, pings and all that. No sir! Thank you very much.
I was getting the busy signal from Lanre’s phone, good, they must be on their way down and Lanre probably didn’t want to let the cat of the bag. I needed to notify everyone to get settled and ready so I left the kitchen and that is when I heard…
“I don’t know how we are going to tell her…God knows I hate this very day and wish I hadn’t woken up today.” Tara was saying
“How can you say that? We have to be strong for her.”
“I don’t know…baby, she is even pregnant?”
“What? How did you know? Of all the damn times in life, it’s now, why?”
“I don’t think it’s her fault or anyone else but…”
“What’s going on here?” I didn’t like the secrecy anymore especially not when they were talking about my pregnancy and why were they whispering on how to be strong for me?
“Erm…dear sister Ronke, I think we should sit down.”
“Nope, I think I like to stand. There is nothing too heavy for the mouth to say and for the ears to hear. Bee would soon be here and I wouldn’t want to spoil the surprise.”
“There’s something we have to tell you…”
“Aunty Ronke…can I have more juice?” Bimpe asked running in and interrupting everyone.
“Yes baby, come before your mum yells at you.” It sounded callous but I didn’t care and to tell the truth, I was a bit scared.
In the kitchen while pouring some juice for Bimpe, I picked up my phone and dialed Kay’s number. It rang and I heaved a sigh of relief. At least, it was not what I was thinking. The plane crash three weeks ago had gotten me jittery, any other bad news was better than death…right?
“Yes hello, we would soon be home. Please do not …” The line got disconnected as he was talking. Silly MTN and their network problems, at least my hubby was safe.
Tara came in, apologized and tried to laugh off her moments of madness but I caught her looking oddly at me twice.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by teamplayey: 10:56am On Feb 17, 2015
Please continue

1 Like

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by larhami(f): 9:32pm On Feb 17, 2015
9c 1 dear,am following u bumper to bumper.

1 Like

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Nmeri17: 12:16am On Feb 18, 2015
enoooooo!! cheesy
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:53am On Feb 18, 2015
The doorbell rang just as I had finished freshening up and was coming down the stairs. I had told everyone to make themselves scarce so I went over to open the door. Perhaps my Mother-in-Law had decided to come after all. She had been down with fever and had said she wouldn’t make the surprise party but would call once the party was in full swing. Others had come in, some of Bee’s colleagues and mine as well and a sprinkle of our neighbours. Lanre had been told to honk twice just so we’d get fully prepared.
I threw a quick glance round the sitting room making sure everything was okay before opening the door.
“Hello, good evening. How may I help you?” I smiled at the stranger on my doorstep.
“Hi, I ham looking for Biyi,” the unconscious ‘h’ that I faulted the yorubas with, did not really bother me much – I was lucky not to have that accent- but what did a well-dressed lady need my husband for on a weekend and calling him by his first name?
“Yes, ‘my husband’ is not around.” The emphasis was intentional.
“Okay, hi will wait for him. Hi have tried his line.”
It would be too rude if I told her to go away, she couldn’t have known that we were about to have a celebration and yet I couldn’t just invite her in and tell her to wait, could I?
Tara came in just then perhaps because I hadn’t come to show her how I looked after freshening up.
“Aunty Tee, good evening,” The strange lady greeted Tara, curtsying.
“Morenike…what are you doing here?”
Oh, did this mean I still had in-laws I didn’t know about? And yet Tara hovered nervously around. It was as if they both didn’t want me there, but this was my house, I wasn’t going to stand the games anymore.
“Who is Morenike?” I asked, directing the question at Tara. By now, people had started to troop into the sitting room after making sure it wasn’t Bee at the door. I wanted to tell everyone to go back or better still go home but I couldn’t.
The honk came twice and everyone rushed out again, save the three nay four of us, Ayo had also stayed back. No one spoke as the car drove in and we still stood that way as Lanre and Bee chatted to the door. The chatter stopped as soon as they saw us standing as still as statues. I sought Lanre’s eyes but he evaded my gaze and mumbled something about checking the car. Bee looked shocked as he approached the front steps.
“Morenike…what do you want here?”
“Good evening Bee, hi have been trying your line since.”
Oh, she called him Bee?
“Listen, you have to come back later. As you can see I am just coming in.”
“Where would hi go?”
What? Did she just ask that?
Obviously everyone had come in after hearing the honk but the ‘surprise’ yell died even on the mouth of the little ones. The tension was so thick, you could cut it with a knife and yet I stood by the door not budging, reminded me somewhat of a captain seeing the world for the last time before his boat sank.
“Who is she?” I asked Bee since Tara had refused to answer. The voice that asked definitely was not mine, it was more of a croak; so definitely could not have been mine.
“Please babe, let’s talk about this later. Morenike, you have to leave now!”
“What would happen to me, the baby?”
Oh my God! I should say something. I should yell, throw a fit, hit someone, do something and not stand mute with my mouth agape. I was the lady of the house and shouldn’t have this tears streaming down my face.
This was not the time to be weak, this was the trials they always preached about and how strong we should be when it happens; but no one ever said, how it would hurt so bad I’d hardly be able to breathe or how the world that had seemed so solid would suddenly have me sinking, hopelessly never to be saved.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:57am On Feb 18, 2015
Nmeri17:
enoooooo!! cheesy

Nmeri1777! cheesy
Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 10:03am On Feb 19, 2015
II
“Ronke please, just hear me out.”
“Hear what out?” I was feeling a bit nauseous but I forced down the rising bile. I had been weak once, I wasn’t going to be weak anymore.
“It was once and it was during Richard’s bachelor party, I swear I have never had any cause to cheat on you.”
“Forgive me for not giving you a standing ovation over that statement. Out of curiosity, how did she get your number since this was – according to you – a one night stand?”
“I don’t know I swear; must have been when I was drunk.”
“You got drunk?”
“No…tipsy I guess and…yes I remember, she claimed to have misplaced her phone so I had to ring her number and then we discovered it was in her bag all the while.”
“You fell for a cheap trick Bee.” I had to stop calling him that, it sounded distasteful not after someone else has been calling him that as well.
“Tell me something, did she know you were married?” I do not think I know this man, the man that got drunk and had a fling, perhaps this impostor stole my husband’s body; this was definitely not my husband.
Sighing, the man with my husband’s body shook his head before answering, “No, she didn’t. I couldn’t bear to look at the ring, so I slipped it off.”
“I didn’t know that slipping off a mere band made one less married or reverted the status, foolish me!” I was dripping sarcasm but I didn’t care.
“I know how hard this is for you but this is harder for me, I cannot concentrate at work.”
“Then get your Morenike to help you concentrate.”
“Damn it Ronke! This was a mistake; you don’t have to rub it in!”
Oh so he could yell and get angry? “And why can’t I rub it in?! Did you call her after then or not?! Did she just pick up her phone on Sunday and call you to remind you of who she was?! Did you fucking know about the damn pregnancy?!” I hope babies ears weren’t formed in six weeks; I wouldn’t want my baby picking up vile words.
“Stop using vulgar words Ronke, you know how we both hate it.”
“I will use any damn words I please. You don’t get to FUCKING tell me what to say and what not to say!” I really needed to calm down, I wasn’t helping matters. I took a deep breath and counted to ten before exhaling.
Apparently Biyi did the same because he came and knelt by my side speaking softly; “Nothing can excuse what I did, nothing. When I said for better or for worse, I meant it. Our childlessness didn’t bother me and I know I got careless but we all deserve redemption when we err. I don’t care if you ban me from our bed – even though it will hurt me bad – all I care for is that you at least forgive me. Yell at me - don’t curse – but eventually forgive me. Nothing else bothers me but you. How will my whole world look like if you cease to love me?”
“Don’t think you can use words to soften me.” I was softening up, this man was going to be the death of me but I couldn’t help it and yes, his scent had a hand in it.
“No, mere words can never be enough. I will do all that is within my power to make you forgive me.”
“Have you considered a paternity test?” I still hadn’t told him about my pregnancy, I couldn’t bring myself to, not now, perhaps later but not now.
“Yes, immediately after the baby is born.”
“And what if the baby is not yours?” He tried to hide the brief pain that flashed across his eyes, but I still caught it.
“Babe,” he said slowly standing and drawing me close to him; “let’s get to that bridge first.”

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:32am On Feb 20, 2015
They all sat there…silly people, my God! I was really turning into an abusive monster but I just couldn’t help it.
Ekaabo Daddy mi. Awon ara ile nko?” I greeted Bee’s uncle as he came in, filled with self-importance. Bastard! He probably was the one behind this.
“Eh Ronke, pele … how are you?”
“I am fine daddy.” Stupid man, he had kept us waiting for a full awkward hour but he was the head of the family and so the meeting couldn’t start without him.
After greeting everyone seated, he sat down and took time adjusting his entire frame.
“Daddy, should I get you something?”
“No…for later perhaps, I want to welcome everyone and apologize for my lateness; you know how tiring these grandchildren can be sometimes. Ehen… Adebiyi…Omoluabi…Omo Adesanya…”
Baba Ekaabo…” Biyi replied, stiffling a smile.
Really? Interesting!
“Hmm…Adebiyi in as much as I can’t spank you for your act…I can see how you wanted to do a little confirmation to keep your mind at rest, not so?”
Thank goodness Bee had the good grace not to respond, we had come to a fragile agreement and that was to present a strong family front. I was going to remain supportive in the eye of the public and he was not going to gloat about his act but act contrite and remain supportive of me as well.
Not getting his answer, the old man continued to speak. I tuned out and instead settled my gaze on the creature perched on my couch. She dressed modestly - I guess she was aiming to score some points- and was careful to look down all throughout. I suppose I should feel some sort of pity for her but I couldn’t just bring myself to allow that kind of vulnerability into my heart. All the stories I had heard of mistresses, wicked second wives…God forbid, did I just think of having someone else call herself my second? Get thee behind me, Satan!
“…I hope you have heard Ronke?” Everyone’s gaze was on me. What was I supposed to have heard?
“Sir?”
“Where did your mind wander to? Or is this gathering not important enough for your esteemed self?”
“Sorry sir,” from the corner of my eyes, I saw the creature smile. Ha! Biyi…what have you done?
“I said and listen properly our culture and tradition is supreme. We do not throw away children and because Morenike is carrying one, we cannot throw her away too…or maybe for now. She has told us that she has nowhere to go, having been driven from home by her parents and because we would want someone to keep an eye on her, we would want her to stay here…”
“Ehn?” I couldn’t hold it in, it just came out.
“If not for the fact that I know how painful this whole thing is for you, you would have had to pay for that tone you just used.”
“How does anyone know what pain is? Why am I even here, since you all can take a decision without taking me into consideration? Have I demanded she abort the baby? No! Have I moved out of the house in annoyance? No! Have I wronged any of you? If I went to a party and came back pregnant, will you call me ‘omoluabi’? Will you tell Biyi to accept the pregnancy? So why do I have…” My voice had risen and I was rising as well, ready to walk out and leave the gathering.
Perhaps Biyi must have guessed my intention because he jumped from his seat, holding on to me and trying to whisper into my ears about my need to calm down and remember our agreement. Ayo also stood, perhaps feeling the need to remain in my good books and came to talk some sense into me. After I had calmed, I followed Biyi’s pull back to the couch.
“If my wife has offended you daddy, please take it out on me. She hasn’t been herself of late and neither have I…Ehn sir, can Morenike not stay in a rented apartment or even with you and mummy or even my own mother…at least till my wife and I can come to terms with the situation?”
Rara o… stay with us ke? You slept with her, Biyi; I didn’t neither did your mother.”
“But sir…”
“Were you not aware – as we all were- of her pregnancy long before now? Why didn’t you inform your wife so that you both could carry out your adjustments? How do you think Morenike feels as well? And just because your wife is not comfortable doesn’t mean we all should be uncomfortable?” That last jab was meant to hurt me and it did. “No one is saying, you should marry her for now, if after you see that the child is yours, you want to have Morenike as a second wife then we would have no choice than to support you as well.”
Lanre had been quiet all through and was the only one who seemed aloof from it all. I had decided not to call my uncles - since I was an orphan - but I now saw that I should have. Someone should at least had fought on my behalf or made a pretense at doing so.
“Ehn… daddy, I think for peace sake. We should tread softly carrying everyone along.” Ayo said, speaking up. “As much as it isn’t easy for Ronke, I know as mature as she is once she is calm, she will see reason with what you have said. Sister Ronke, please just try and show that accommodating nature we know you to have. Nobody is happy with Biyi but short of killing him, what do you advise we do?”
They were wearing me down. This was so unfair. I nearly blurted out that I was pregnant too and deserved all the attention but I couldn’t. In the furor of the entire event, it must have slipped Ayo’s mind as well and I wanted it to remain that way; I was going to speak with him to that effect later.
“I am sorry if I have been so difficult, what woman won’t be? If she is to stay with us, fine; but I hope no one is saying that boundaries cannot be placed so that everyone respects them?”
Rara o,” Bee’s Uncle replied. “I would have been too suspicious if you opened your arms wide to welcome her in, now that we have settled this little matter, I think you should bring us something to chew then we leave you, your husband and her to settle the house rules. As for you Morenike, do not think that any misbehavior would earn you any sympathy from us. Ronke is highly respected so don’t get any ideas into your head, s’ogbo?
Beeni sir…e seun, modupe gan. Aunty Ronke, thank you very much. Uncle Ayo, Uncle Lanre…thank you.” The creature said kneeling.
Is it me or did I notice a glimmer of satisfaction in those eyes and why didn’t she greet Bee…oh my God! She couldn’t call him uncle because she was used to calling him Bee…
………………………………………………………………………………………………………
In the kitchen as I was stacking the used plates for my sister to wash later; the creature came in – calling her that is my own way of coming to terms with the whole matter – and opened the fridge, humming a little.
“Please Aunty Ronke, where his the bedroom? Bee said he wants to drink water.”

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: My Flash/short Stories Collection by Enoquin(f): 9:38am On Feb 20, 2015
@Otunbakay PING! angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's The English Word For "Shakara" / The Whistle Blower / My Demon Sister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.