Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,831 members, 7,820,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Should We Stop Giving Tithe? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should We Stop Giving Tithe? (20160 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / How Do We Stop Islam ? / Why I Will Not Stop Giving To The Work Of God (part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 7:19pm On Jan 19, 2009
pls its the tithe soppose to be 10% of your basic salary or total gross?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by sexy888: 4:21pm On Jan 20, 2009
i have stopped given tithe since early last year bicos i dont believe in it.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by sexy888: 4:25pm On Jan 20, 2009
i have stopped given tithe since early last year bicos i dont believe in it.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 8:26pm On Jan 21, 2009
cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 5:25pm On Jan 22, 2009
The question is?Should we stop giving tithe?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by ttalks(m): 11:27am On Jan 24, 2009
segyemaro:

The question is?Should we stop giving tithe?

And the answer is : Yes, we should stop giving the tithe.Stop! Stop!! STOP!!! grin
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Iknowwhoim(m): 8:24am On Jan 26, 2009
[size=14pt]When the money is in you hand, shebi it is still in your power to apportion as you want.
There is no big deal,  you don't want to pay tithe. Keep it now,  no wahala.
Leave those who want to pay tithe to do so.

When we all get to see Jesus,  depending on which side you will see, every man's eye will clear.[/size]
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 6:29pm On Jan 26, 2009
iknowwohim,pls lets get your straight answer,if giving of tithe is biblical,can you tell us were in the new testament its written that we must give tithe,and did Jesus preached on tithe?please lets get this straight.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 6:37pm On Feb 09, 2009
The question is did Jesus realy preached on tithe
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 1:52pm On Feb 10, 2009
segyemaro:

The question is did Jesus realy preached on tithe
The answer is Jesus never ever preached tithes neither did the Apostles, in effect tithing has no basis in christianity.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by MrCrackles(m): 1:57pm On Feb 10, 2009
KunleOshob:

The answer is Jesus never ever preached tithes neither did the Apostles, in effect tithing has no basis in christianity.

Gbam!!

Straightforward answer, no waffling about! grin

Thank you
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 5:28pm On Feb 10, 2009
I think we all need to know that Christ never preached on tithe neither did the disciples,tithe was only preached in the old testament and what it says is not what our hungry pastors are saying today.It was only directed to the Levites and they were to take food and animalm and eat with their family Deut 14:22-end.But wat our so call pastors say today is that you are a robber if you fail to pay your tithe quoting from over used Mal 3:8.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by kevy(m): 10:45pm On Feb 10, 2009
Friends,

My own personal opinion is that I cannot stop giving tithe.

My tithe is to God and not the pastor, Am giving it not for the pastor but for me.

What i mean is this. Giving tithe multipies my wealth and does not add anything to the pastor.

Am a practical tither so i know what am talking about.

We should learn how to give our tithe to God and also help the needy.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by MrCrackles(m): 10:46pm On Feb 10, 2009
Topic

Yes and the money diverted directly to the poor and needy!
tongue
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by tope2000(f): 10:47pm On Feb 10, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topic

Yes and the money diverted directly to the poor and needy!
tongue

Its part of what it is used for anyways. tongue
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by MrCrackles(m): 10:48pm On Feb 10, 2009
tope2000:

Its part of what it is used for anyways. tongue

Not sure about that! grin

I want to use my own hand to give the poor and needy not entrust it to some pastor, who may divert it into his own pocket!

Onyi ara
!! tongue cheesy
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by tope2000(f): 10:49pm On Feb 10, 2009
MrCrackles:

Not sure about that! grin

I want to use my own hand to give the poor and needy not entrust it to some pastor, who may divert it into his own pocket!

Onyi ara
!! tongue cheesy

Not all pastors are theives cry
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by MrCrackles(m): 10:51pm On Feb 10, 2009
tope2000:

Not all pastors are theives cry

I didnt say all pastors are thieving scumbags! cheesy
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by tope2000(f): 10:55pm On Feb 10, 2009
MrCrackles:

I didnt say all pastors are thieving scumbags! cheesy

Ofcos u cant else i'll bite off ur tongue grin
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by MrCrackles(m): 10:57pm On Feb 10, 2009
tope2000:

Ofcos u cant else i'll bite off ur tongue grin

tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 12:58pm On Feb 11, 2009
kevy:

Friends,

My own personal opinion is that I cannot stop giving tithe.

My tithe is to God and not the pastor, Am giving it not for the pastor but for me.

What i mean is this. Giving tithe multipies my wealth and does not add anything to the pastor. Am a practical tither so i know what am talking about.

We should learn how to give our tithe to God and also help the needy.

Some people are so deluded it is scary. Does not add anything to the pastor my foot. so how does God receive this tithes If you truly want to give to God give to the needy as jesus directed in Matthew 25: 35-40. If you don't know what tithing is all about it is better you ask or do some biblical research and stop insulting God that you are giving him money which he doesn't need or require of you.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by kevy(m): 8:24pm On Feb 11, 2009
@kunleoshob

In my church, the pastors have their own private bunisesses which are flourishing. They do not need my tithe for anything. In fact they give to members of the church.

I said in my last post that my tithe is for God and will stand by it. Am not saying that God will come in the physical to collect it but that the money is used for the work of God in terms of missionery work, giving of schlarship to members who cannot afford to pay their fees, giving to the widows and the motherless baby homes, prison visitation etc.

Yes my church does all these and much more, knowing that my tithe and offerings are used to promote God's work and put smiles on people's faces make me want to give more. The principle of tithing works well for me. If it does not work for you then stop giving.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 10:35am On Feb 12, 2009
@Kevy
there is nothing wrong with giving towards the work of God as long as it is done with a free heart and not under compulsion as tithes is preached in our churches. My grievieance with the tithing concept is that even though it as no sound basis in christianity, a lot of pastors preach it as if it is compulsory for christians nothing can be further from the truth and that is why Jesus or the apostles never preached about tithes. Infact compulsory tithing under the law was abolished in the book of Hebrew 7: 5-18 yet most churches keep silent on this. that to me is fraudulent and deceitful. As you said if your church uses the tithes they collect strictly for God's work which is mostly helping the less priviledge all well and good but there is nothing stopping you from directly using it to help the less priviledge your self.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by Afribiz(f): 12:23pm On Feb 12, 2009
Pay your tithe as God directed, it's for your own good. If the pastors however decide to use the tithes for their personal purpose, let God be the judge. That shouldn't discourage anyone at all.

Keep on giving. Good measures, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will men give unto your bossom.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 9:43am On Feb 23, 2009
Kunle has a point here,can we take time to read our bibles and know what exactly we need to know,not waiting for any pastor to brain washed you into paying tithes that Jesus Christ never preached about even His disciples never did.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by eghosaobas: 10:56am On Feb 23, 2009
it seems you dont want the pastors to eat again,cos that is their only source of income. if not because they like us,they would have increased it to 50%,but for the love they have for us.I beg pastors carry goooooo joooooooo
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 5:49pm On Feb 23, 2009
Are the so called Founder/overseers realy following what the bible says about this topic?
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by eghosaobas: 9:50pm On Feb 26, 2009
can someone tell me,is it a sin not to give?cos my pastor said i will go to HELL if i dont give my tithe.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 9:56am On Feb 27, 2009
eghosaobas:

can someone tell me,is it a sin not to give?cos my pastor said i will go to HELL if i dont give my tithe.
Your pastor would be the one to probably go to hell if he doesn't repent for twisting the word of God and using it to extort money from his children.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by segyemaro(m): 2:04pm On Feb 27, 2009
Kunle,that is the fact.I have not read were it is said that its a sin not to give your tithe and also to go to hell if one doesnt pay.please i think its time we started encouraging ourselves to be reading the Bible and know what exactly is in stock for us.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by debosky(m): 3:30pm On Feb 27, 2009

now bible says Jesus was the real substance(embodiment) of wat was all practised in the old covenant

someone said:"but he said tithing in the new covenant? didnt he?"

my answer is yes, but to whom?

was it to his disciples (his true followers) or to the hypocrites (pharisees and oppressors)
--- answer for yourself
I do not agree with this interpretation. Jesus mentioned the tithes, saying this you SHOULD do. While not something emphasised as the basis of our faith, it was encouraged.

When the Pharisees wanted to stone the adulterous woman, did Jesus encourage them to do it because stoning was an OT requirement of the law? What about divorce? Did Jesus encourage the old practice of divorce?

If Jesus did not do all these when talking to pharisees but instead set a clear message of what should be done, why are we now interpreting his words on tithing as 'directed at pharisees'? Who was he speaking to when talking about divorce?

Matthew 23:2323
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former."

Mark 10:1-12

1Jesus then left that place and went into the region of Judea and across the Jordan. Again crowds of people came to him, and as was his custom, he taught them.
2Some Pharisees came and tested him by asking, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?"
3"What did Moses command you?" he replied.
4They said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away."
5"It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," Jesus replied. 6"But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'7' For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, 8and the two will become one flesh.  So they are no longer two, but one. 9 Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." 10 When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus about this. 11 He answered, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. 12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

If Jesus spoke to the Pharisees in this case and we accept his teaching, why do we want to disregard his word on tithes? In my opinion, this is a clear opportunity for Jesus to have abrogated tithing if it was not needed.

NOTE: I am not saying it is compulsory, but Jesus said, this you SHOULD DO - If Jesus did not condemn it (but condemned other practices) then I do not condemn it either.
Re: Should We Stop Giving Tithe? by eghosaobas: 3:32pm On Feb 27, 2009
This Kunle of a man sounds gifted,i have read some of his postings and contributions they are well writen and ansered,my brother pls keep the flag flying till will chase out all these so call pastors.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Are You A Christian ? You Need To See This. / 3 Powerful Things Your Tongue Will Do To Your Life / Rev. Chris Okotie’s Love Child Expose? Woman Claims 3 Abortions For Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.