Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari (1755 Views)

Kogi: APC May Pick Simon Achuka As Bello’s Deputy — Leadership Newspaper / Buhari: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... / Atiku May Pick Okonjo Iweala As Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by Shine1177: 5:25am On Dec 08, 2014
08.Dec.2014

General Muhammadu Buhari has said it is possible he picks a Muslim running mate if his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) agrees.

Speaking on a Channels Television interview on Sunday night, Buhari, one of the strong contenders for the presidential ticket on the platform of APC, noted that the country had produced same religion leaders in the past.

Recalling that former head of state, General Yakubu Gowon and his service chiefs were Christians and the late MKO Abiola and Babagana Kingibe ticket in 1993 and even his team with Idiagbon, he said nobody complained.

“Gowon filled his government with Christians, Buhari/Idiagbon were Muslims, Nigerians voted Muslims with Abiola, maybe time has changed now,” he stressed.

On the forthcoming APC presidential primaries, Buhari said “if the processes are done freely and fairly, I will accept the result if I don’t win.”

Describing the Federal Government’s fight against terror as “unsatisfactory,” he added that the insecurity gripping the nation was intolerable.

•8,000 APC delegates arrive in Lagos for national convention

NO fewer than 8,000 delegates drawn from across the country will gather in Lagos, on Wednesday, to pick the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate for the 2015 election, with the delegates expected to arrive on Tuesday and commence immediate registration.

The exercise is billed for December 10 and 11, 2014 and will hold at Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere.

The APC presidential aspirants are: former head of state, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari; former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Governor Rabiu Musa Kwankwanso (Kano), Governor Rochas Owelle Okorocha and the publisher of Leadership newspapers, Mr Nda-Isa.

National Publicity Secretary of the party, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, disclosed this in Lagos, on Sunday, while addressing newsmen.

He reiterated that the APC was poised to bring the desired change to Nigeria from the sorry state it was currently and to enable her to take her rightful position in the comity of nations.

He assured that the APC was committed to ensuring this change by presenting for election, credible and purpose-driven candidates that would drive the change at various levels of government.

Mohammed, who said that the party was going for "a convention and not coronation" to pick its presidential candidate from among the five that lined up for the race, enjoined Nigerians to join hands in realising the desired change. grin

This is just as he said the party's national convention was brought to Lagos after careful and thorough consideration by the convention committee headed by former Governor Kayode Fayemi.

According to him, Lagos was finally picked from among others, including Kano, Benin, Port Harcourt, Owerri, Jos, because it was favoured in terms of accessibility, accommodation for no fewer than 8,000 delegates and finally, security.

Text of the statement reads: "As you are all aware, our dear country is in a dire need of change. The All Progressives Congress (APC) is determined to bring that change. The process of effecting that change has commenced with the effective mobilisation of Nigerians to demand the change in the 2015 general election.

"The APC as a party that is committed to seeing Nigeria leave its present sorry state and take its rightful position in the comity of nations, is set to ensure this change by presenting for election, credible and purpose-driven candidates that would drive the change at various levels of government.

"The party’s congresses and election of candidates for the various positions that commenced earlier in the month will climax in the election of the APC presidential standard- bearer in the February 2015 presidential election.

"The national convention of the party is scheduled to hold at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere , Lagos between December 10 and 11, 2014.

"No fewer than 8,000 delegates drawn from the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) are expected to participate in the convention and the presidential primaries that would elect the party’s standard-bearer out of the five presidential aspirants of the party.

"The five aspirants of the party are eminent citizens with proven credentials. It is our belief that, at the exercise, one of them would emerge the presidential standard-bearer of our dear party in the coming election.

"The aspirants include: a former head of state, General Mohammadu Buhari; a former Vice President of the country, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar; Governor of Kano State; Alhaji Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso; Governor of Imo State, Owelle Rochas Okorocha and Publisher of Leadership Newspaper Group, Sam Nda-Isaiah.The five aspirants would address the delegates, stressing their programmes before the commencement of voting, which will be by secret ballot.

"Adequate arrangements have been made by the National Convention Committee (NCC), headed by former Governor of Ekiti State, Dr Kayode Fayemi for a hitch-free convention. The various sub-committees are working round the clock to ensure that the convention succeeds and become a reference point in the political history of the country.

"We are also collaborating with relevant agencies to ensure effective security, crowd control, traffic management, medical attention among others.

"And for the millions of Nigerians who may not be opportune to be at the venue of the convention, arrangements have been made for effective live coverage of the entire process by some radio and TV stations."

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news/top-stories/item/23587-i-may-pick-muslim-running-mate-if-buhari
This man get good advisers so? After their Navigator (OBJ) advised contrary.
Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by vanbonattel: 5:29am On Dec 08, 2014
ayatolla mohammad buhari of nigerianistan

1 Like

Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by speakthetruth: 5:36am On Dec 08, 2014
Whatever rocks his boat.

1 Like

Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by temitemi1(m): 5:42am On Dec 08, 2014
Is this man called buhari ok Go ahead n pick muslim as ur runing mate as if u are goin to win even if u pick christain u are still not goin no where.

3 Likes

Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by oluwadanie1(m): 5:43am On Dec 08, 2014
His problem not mine
Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by nerodenero: 5:45am On Dec 08, 2014
It is obvious the General is still living in the past.If he does that then PDP has been given the victory.I think the General might deliever if given the chance but his utterrances on religious matters will definitely hunt him for so long.

With the security challenges and with some christians believing it is more of religion than politics,many wont want to commit the future of the nation to the hands of a Muslim President and vice.The General should know this.

Anyway, the fact remains that Tinubu wont favour Muslim-muslim ticket.

2 Likes

Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by azimibraun: 5:46am On Dec 08, 2014
Unfairness to this man keeps increasing his relevance. Simple. See the headline and reD the post. Haba! The man even used himself and idiagbon as example. And was wise to add, may be the times have changed. What else shld the man say? Can someone tell me? Is it right for a leader to use religion as factor in picking a running mateon national tv; even when we all know it's a factor in naija politics? It is a factor but we must be silent about it. Thatswhat buhari jst did smartly.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by Burger01(m): 6:15am On Dec 08, 2014
General, if you like pick babalawo... you ain't smelling that seat in Aso Rock. Mbah! angry

1 Like

Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by SeverusSnape(m): 6:22am On Dec 08, 2014
Well, it's his choice but if he knows what's good for him, he would go with a Christian running mate because of the high level of Religious bigotry in the country.
Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by mrvitalis(m): 6:28am On Dec 08, 2014
religion is not and have never been our problem
....buhari pls pick fashola as ur v.p ....
..they are just too afraid of the landslide victory that will cost
buhari/fashola ...vs.. jonathan/sambo
...y should i vote the later?

5 Likes

Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by ignis: 6:49am On Dec 08, 2014
Quite unfortunate that religion and tribalism have taken over the politics of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by Lilimax(f): 8:56am On Dec 08, 2014
Religion and politics are divergent in today's Nigeria undecided embarassed

1 Like

Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by Nobody: 9:01am On Dec 08, 2014
ignis:
Quite unfortunate that religion and tribalism have taken over the politics of Nigeria.
this is inevitable in a multiethnic and multi-religious country like Nigeria.
Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by Ideyontop: 9:08am On Dec 08, 2014
And there goes the downfall of buhari!

Does this man know what he is doing?
Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by PentiumPro(f): 9:14am On Dec 08, 2014
Lilimax:
Religion and politics are divergent in today's Nigeria undecided embarassed

Blame PDP that is not ready for a performance-based campaign but on religion and tribal bigotry.
Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by smsshola(m): 10:03am On Dec 08, 2014
Its unfortunate dt religion has bn indulge in tday politics but its more alarming seeing it from a youthful generation. The question for dos who have bn into it whr as it taken us to?Lagos ruled by a Muslim has a drastic change den all enjoy d basic amenities..pls let d best emerge.. what I care abt is having d basic needs of life..who give a damn who provide it..If dey can both do it what is d point of a Christian dt see corruption as mere stealing..no name mention abegi o.
Re: I May Pick Muslim Running Mate If... —buhari by Mogidi: 11:30am On Dec 08, 2014
I think Buhari has already made up his mind that his administration will have an Islamic agenda. Even if APC stops him from picking a muslim running mate, his ulterior motive remain the same.
Should Buhari win, I hope Christians are still allowed to pray in churches.

It would be a shame if Christians have to hide in case they were caught praying by Buhari's Hisbah (sharia policemen)

(1) (Reply)

80% Of My Advisers Are Useless –president Jonathan / APC Supporters Threatening Other Posters with incarceration / Nairaland Lives On Irrrespective Of Barcanista Abscence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.