Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,428 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 7 - Travel (251) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (1154933 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Onyeoma3: 7:28am On Mar 14, 2015
Team12:
The issue of getting a Supervisor to accept you does not obtain in all Canadian universities. I got admitted into Uni Ottawa, Uni Manitoba, Carleton Uni and Uni Winnipeg for Research based Masters (with a CGPA of 4.81) and non of this schools came up with an issue of getting a Supervisor to accept me before giving me an admission.

In fact it was through this forum that I first heard about the "Supervisor Syndrome" and I just got to know that a friend was rejected based on that. One school that I know has that condition in place is MUN (Memorial Uni of Newfoundland).

So my advise is that you visit the websites of the schools you intend to apply to and study their admission requirements and process before you apply.

I wish you God's grace!!!

[b] Congrats on your chains of admissions maa, it's a good one indeed and to crown it all, your funding in the last one.

The issue of getting a supervisor varies from course to course. When it comes to Social sciences, Law and even few science courses enrolment into graduate studies, a supervisor is not a pre-requisite before admission is given. You can get a spot once you have a very good CGPA and a tight application package. However, in core science and engineering courses, you MUST (in capital letter) get a supervisor before getting admitted for an M.A.Sc program cos of the nature of the research projects and structuring of the programs.

In addition, it's much easier for supervisors to accept a student once the person is on ground than overseas (believe me, getting a visa into Canada is really a big barrier based on their perceptions). They tend to do some "What-if" analysis most of the times. The few ones that accept automatically are either based on referrals or a wonderful experience with a Naija student they supervised sometime in the past (with hope that the prospective student will tow the same path).

I hope this helps someone in the house with reference to some other posts about getting a supervisor.

Bottom line: The whole process varies from one school to the other and not an easy one as well, but in the long run, it's worth it. [/b]

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Nobody: 7:28am On Mar 14, 2015
zuggy:

But can I call today being a Saturday, do they work on weekends.

Baba Chill..What Term are u applying towards self?
We wey apply for MsC, Some of our apps took 2+ months..
So send her a mail on Monday..And keep the faith.
smiley
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Onyeoma3: 7:46am On Mar 14, 2015
hayqinsbFX:
first class students sha....not everybody has a superb GP to chase a masters degree.
from research sef it shows 90percent of employers in canada are okay with an advance diploma certificate
na mostly foreigners dey go dere dey do d masters courses

The future CEO himself, where did you get the finding from that research from? Majority of them prefer advance diploma though not up to 90%, but like someone rightly pointed out, it depends on the position being sought for.

The major reason why most International students do Masters program is just to gain competitive advantage in the labour market and being that the citizens rarely do graduate and/or engineering courses offers more chances to international students cos preference is given in the order of Citizens>Landed immigrants>Visitors (like you and I) in any job opening especially Govt jobs.

Also, trade certifications are very good plus and booster to any qualification one intends to acquire in Canada.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by hayqinsbFX: 7:54am On Mar 14, 2015
lmao @ future CEO

several sites o ma....
buh since you're there you should have a more accurate information....
thanks for the insight
Onyeoma3:

The future CEO himself, where did you get the finding from that research from? Majority of them prefer advance diploma though not up to 90%, but like someone rightly pointed out, it depends on the position being sought for.

The major reason why most International students do Masters program is just to gain competitive advantage in the labour market and being that the citizens rarely do graduate and/or engineering courses offers more chances to international students cos preference is given in the order of Citizens>Landed immigrants>Visitors (like you and I) in any job opening especially Govt jobs.

Also, trade certifications are very good plus and booster to any qualification one intends to acquire in Canada.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Onyeoma3: 8:00am On Mar 14, 2015
KELVIN086:
hello house, pls i would be applying soon but i don't know which option to pick from between Msc electrical engineering and M.eng electrical engineering , i studied elect/elect
this decision has prevented me from completing my online application since like 4 weeks ago
case 1
Msc is research based and gives me the opportunity to start my Phd(which might even be fully funded) immediately after completion of the msc
but it is just too competitive and more difficult to get an admission than M.eng. I have a cgpa of 4.02/5.0 but i dont believe that is competitive enough to get the Msc admission since most research supervisors in canada only accept outstanding students because of the amount of applications they get.

case2
M.eng is just based on course work i.e the normal reading and writing of exams we did at bsc level. Getting an M.eng admission would be quite easy for me .
M.eng would not give me the opportunity to start a phd immediately i would still have to do that bloody msc before i can start a phd that would make it a total of 4 years shocked shocked shocked shocked before i can start a phd although i have age on my side(21 yrs old) but that does not not mean i should kill myself in the university.

another question i would like to ask from experienced msc and meng peeps in the house is if someone gets distinctions in his M.eng result can he be admitted for a Phd if he wishes considering his result.

Apply for an M. Eng program (hopefully, you should get admitted), the moment you arrive at Canada, pick up your phone and start calling all those supervisors you want to work with (this time around, telling them with confidence: Good Morning Prof, My name is Kelvin calling from University of Manitoba (for instance), I wish to inquire about your ongoing research projects cos ayam interested in working with you), my brother, you'll actually confirm the difference yourself between calling them from naija and while in Canada.... The rest will be history before you call up to 5 professors or 10 max.

All you will then need to do is to finalize arrangements for with the prof on how to come over to start working with him (it could be in your school or in any other school in Canada).... Shikenah

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Onyeoma3: 8:08am On Mar 14, 2015
hayqinsbFX:
lmao @ future CEO

several sites o ma....
buh since you're there you should have a more accurate information....
thanks for the insight

You're welcome.

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/infographics/skills-gap-info.aspx

For your perusal sir... For Ontario province though

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by sanpay(f): 8:21am On Mar 14, 2015
bighead1:

How much does that costs and does it requires C of O??
it's your Ability to Bargain that matters. I paid 50k and I didn't use any C of O. I paid the Estate Surveyor 50k and the Lawyer 10k but My Dad Valued hes' for my Sister and he paid the Surveyor 30k.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Nobody: 8:27am On Mar 14, 2015
tonero230:

Visit via hotel reservation
Travel history is required.
i they highly consider western world.
be wise.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Dapsey66: 8:48am On Mar 14, 2015
zuggy:

I have sent mails to serli@centennialcollege.com.tr but no response. Pls what no do I use in calling.
>> Serli: +90 (212) 275 65 90. You can't call on weekends and weekdays has to be btw 8am and 3pm. Don't keep sending emails. Call her on Monday.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by zuggy: 9:29am On Mar 14, 2015
Dapsey66:
>> Serli: +90 (212) 275 65 90. You can't call on weekends and weekdays has to be btw 8am and 3pm. Don't keep sending emails. Call her on Monday.
Thanks alot man. I also want to apply to Conestoga college, how can I pay the application fee using my master card. Between Centennial college and Conestoga College which is more prefferable.
Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by obig: 10:08am On Mar 14, 2015
IyaEjima:

Present Sir!... Go to consultants practice wiv 28k, ur intl passport, 2passport photographs & a photocopy of ur data page of d passport.. Tell dem u wanna do upfront Medicals for Canada visa app.. They'll give u an eMedical sheet 2 upload on ur mYCIC acct at d end of d exercise.. Pls rmbr to select yes for d Q abt panel physician when filling d questionnaire... Wishing u loads of grace & favor!
Thank you very much, please how do i find the consultants practice?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by emperoracro(m): 10:11am On Mar 14, 2015
zuggy:

But can I call today being a Saturday, do they work on weekends.
Call on Monday afternoon
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by pickcalmkris: 12:00pm On Mar 14, 2015
hayqinsbFX:
from what ive read here and from feedbacks from people.
1) when they say insufficient financial funds, its rather straight forward, you need more money or a co sponsor
2) if you have over a years gap after your last school activity or youre over 25, youll need to fiil in a positive employment situation like getting a leave letter among others
if you can work on these two aspects, building your personal account and put in a positive employment situation. i believe by GODS grace the next application would be positive.

@hayqinsbFX... Thank you so much Hayqins...i actually dont have a job to say i work that would grant me a live...i assist my uncle who lifts Fuel from the refinery and he pays me by commision..personally when i applied,i had 2m in my account...and that of my uncle who was my sponsor had 11.5m in his account...and i submitted both statement of accounts..What is your advise please and the rest of you please advise me because as at now i have close to 4m in my personal account and my uncle as well has more than the previous i know i have worked on the insufficent balance they complained about and also own a land now worth 3.8 or more...but what about the job(employment) prospect,i mean the leave letter,any alternative ?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by lilspiceyy(f): 12:32pm On Mar 14, 2015
@hesque u got admission to NBCC right? I PMed u let's discuss.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by morgan2006(m): 12:39pm On Mar 14, 2015
sanpay:
I used an estate surveyor, I gave them all the land n house documents, they also included pictures of the buildings, gave the current value of the properties after which a Lawyer Certified it. I hope ds helps?

Please I have a land survey report. will this be enough to show to the VO or must the value be indicated?

Thanks for your kind response
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by lilspiceyy(f): 12:56pm On Mar 14, 2015
[quote author=pickcalmkris post=31589605][/quote]
@pickcalmkris, wen reapplying include yur Employment details eg yur employment letter,work ID,intro letter and study leave letter to tackle the issue of Employment situation. For dat of insufficient funds u didn't state the total balance of yur sponsor's SOA and yours too and you have to work on your SOP too. Lastly, to tackle the issue of personal assets and financial status make sure u add a land doc bt if u don't have then shares, investment or pension statement wld cover for that. I stand to be corrected.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by lilspiceyy(f): 1:07pm On Mar 14, 2015
pickcalmkris:

@hayqinsbFX... Thank you so much Hayqins...i actually dont have a job to say i work that would grant me a live...i assist my uncle who lifts Fuel from the refinery and he pays me by commision..personally when i applied,i had 2m in my account...and that of my uncle who was my sponsor had 11.5m in his account...and i submitted both statement of accounts..What is your advise please and the rest of you please advise me because as at now i have close to 4m in my personal account and my uncle as well has more than the previous i know i have worked on the insufficent balance they complained about and also own a land now worth 3.8 or more...but what about the job(employment) prospect,i mean the leave letter,any alternative ?
Get your uncle to write an introduction letter on his company letter head. he pays you am I right? Its nt mandatory you submit a leave letter the introduction letter wld cover for the letter provided he indicates that you wld be returning to help him with his business wit the skills and knowledge you wld gain from your studies in canada.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by lilspiceyy(f): 1:08pm On Mar 14, 2015
pickcalmkris:

Get your uncle to write an introduction letter on his company letter head. he pays you am I right? Its nt mandatory you submit a leave letter the introduction letter wld cover for the letter provided he indicates that you wld be returning to help him expand his business wit the skills and knowledge you wld gain from your studies in canada.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by justicia: 1:19pm On Mar 14, 2015
Hello House. Pls can someone point me to an app I ccan use to compress my files. They are larger 4MB. I knw someone mentioned somethn like that here b4. Thanks!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by zuggy: 1:21pm On Mar 14, 2015
Anyone who applied to conestoga how did u pay the un refundable 100 dollar application fees .
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Dapsey66: 1:36pm On Mar 14, 2015
zuggy:

Thanks alot man. I also want to apply to Conestoga college, how can I pay the application fee using my master card. Between Centennial college and Conestoga College which is more prefferable.
Thanks
>> I guess that depends but I believe Centennial College has more ratings than Conestoga. Not many people will agree with this but that is by the way. I did not have to pay the $95 application fee. Serli said there was no need. I got my admission after a week though and paid upfront school fees.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by morgan2006(m): 1:57pm On Mar 14, 2015
Good afternoon, house.

Please is there anyone that can help me review my letter of explanation? Its two pages but I need someone who is experienced in it to help me review it. Thanks for ur kind response
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by zuggy: 1:59pm On Mar 14, 2015
Dapsey66:
>> I guess that depends but I believe Centennial College has more ratings than Conestoga. Not many people will agree with this but that is by the way. I did not have to pay the $95 application fee. Serli said there was no need. I got my admission after a week though and paid upfront school fees.
But I have been hearing lots of negative stuffs about centennial so just needed to be sure.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by zuggy: 2:01pm On Mar 14, 2015
Can someone who knows about these two colleges, centennial and conestoga tell which is better in terms of cost of living , general comparison and proximity to jobs. Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by hesque: 2:05pm On Mar 14, 2015
Yes Maa. Replied
lilspiceyy:
@hesque u got admission to NBCC right? I PMed u let's discuss.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by babbs45: 2:15pm On Mar 14, 2015
soji0509:
Thanks so much. Its really helpful except for properties in lesser city like Ogbomoso might be a challenge.

lol... That's my hometown

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by fraque192: 2:48pm On Mar 14, 2015
EcashPlanet:

I'll advice you contact their international admissions office (Email- africa@selkirk.ca). I'm aware that they do not grant admission to anyone that has a study gap of up to 5 years after last study.

Cheers!

Gotten the admission letter, it's what do do next I need
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by tosinfemi: 3:08pm On Mar 14, 2015
Hello Guys In the House, I'm about to submit online application for study permit and I need some more infos. Is it a must I provide Police Clearance before submission of the application and if yes, please which column will I attach it? Which column will I upload my transcript, birth cert if necessary and Resume?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by soji0509: 4:31pm On Mar 14, 2015
Read back to Monday this week. This question has been answered with a screenshot . I also contributed on it. Police report is NOT mandatory for online route but It does NOT harm if you include it. Check the CIC website for complementary info.It is surely there Best wishes.
See it here !!
https://www.nairaland.com/2035081/travelling-canada-part-7/247#31567982
tosinfemi:
Hello Guys In the House, I'm about to submit online application for study permit and I need some more infos. Is it a must I provide Police Clearance before submission of the application and if yes, please which column will I attach it? Which column will I upload my transcript, birth cert if necessary and Resume?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by soji0509: 4:41pm On Mar 14, 2015
Kindly inbox (soji0509@yahoo.com) me the contacts of the professionals you and your dad engaged if you have it handy.
I will like to engage whoever is closer to me and with the most pocket friendly fee. Thanks in advance. Cheers
sanpay:
it's your Ability to Bargain that matters. I paid 50k and I didn't use any C of O. I paid the Estate Surveyor 50k and the Lawyer 10k but My Dad Valued hes' for my Sister and he paid the Surveyor 30k.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by soji0509: 4:50pm On Mar 14, 2015
GREAT ! I hail oOo. grin grin grin
Cheers
babbs45:

lol... That's my hometown
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by bighead1(m): 5:36pm On Mar 14, 2015
justicia:
Hello House. Pls can someone point me to an app I ccan use to compress my files. They are larger 4MB. I knw someone mentioned somethn like that here b4. Thanks!

Bro use an online PDF compressor

(1) (2) (3) ... (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) ... (502)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.