Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,414 members, 7,861,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:20 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (233126 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 04, 2016
and also how they have demonized our culture is disheartening my brother lol

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:45pm On Apr 04, 2016
[b]EL-RUFAI's ANTI-PREACHING BILL

This is gonna be a very long read.

I am no fan of Nigerian politicians, that most people around me know. With all the campaigns I did for Buhari in my personal capacity, he has turned out to be a total disappointment. He's not just bereft of ideas as regards the economy, he consciously looks to spurn good advice (a good example is the devaluation of the naira). I really could create a thread like this about the economy of Nigeria.

But hey, this is not about Buhari and his woes. This is about Nasir El-Rufai. As an eclectic reader, he was brought to my attention when I stumbled on the book, The Accidental Public Servant, while trying to get a bus to travel at Pleateau Riders in Jos to Ilorin in 2013 in a particular year I made sure I toured the country in my love for adventure.

Reading the book exposed me to him as a courageous fellow who truly seeks to do more than the average Nigerian politician (even though they are still all thieves). Since then I have followed him closely. He's possibly the least evil of all politicians in Nigeria today.

Recently, there has been alot of uproar over his recent bill to crack down on those useless public preachings that I have since dedicated my time to here. So many have called for his head. In fact there is a certain charlattan called Apostle Suleiman who predicts he will die. Imagine!

I stumbled on a link to the Sunday Punch where El Rufai granted an interview to discuss this matter. I give you excerpts of the comments that really interested me: [/b]

Interviewer: How has it been since you assumed office?

El Rufai: I want to say it has been an interesting and successful journey and we are grateful...I never expected that running a state would be very different from being a federal minister. I thought that running a state would be the same as running the Federal Capital Territory but I was wrong on that. I have seen that things are quite different and more complex.

In the first month we got here, we got about N5bn from Federal Allocation but in the last two months, we got N2.8bn each. Thus, even from the time we started to now, there have been massive changes, but we are taking steps. We knew that all things are scanty and we need to do some things. That is why, from day one, the deputy governor and I have decided to give 50 per cent of our salaries as our contribution because we are going to ask public servants to make similar sacrifice.

We also reduced the size of government; the number of commissioners has been reduced from 24 to 13. It was all in an effort to cut cost. We inherited 38 Permanent Secretaries, but now we are operating with about 18 of them. We are looking at Ministries, Departments and Agencies that have similar functions and merging them just to cut cost. This is because if your revenues are collapsing, you need to cut your cost. We are reducing the length of convoys; the governor’s convoy had 21 vehicles, but now, we only have five or six cars that go out with me and they are all essential.

Interviewer: How do issues get political and ethnic colouration in your state?

El Rufai: This is something I find both disturbing and disappointing. In any argument and situation, if you have your facts and you are right, you don’t need to refer to religion. Religion doesn’t win arguments for you. What I have found in life is that the moment a person introduces religion in any situation, I know they are wrong because if you are right, have facts and can justify your position, why bring God into it? God will judge us on the day of judgment. People only revert to religion and ethnicity when they have run out of convincing arguments.

What I find in Kaduna State is that people can bring religion into everything. I think more than any state in Nigeria, Kaduna state has suffered more in terms of religious and ethnic divisions and that should be a lesson for us but what I found out is that the elite have one weapon and that is religion and it is sad. But, unfortunately for them they have not studied me. If anyone has studied my career at the FCT, they would know that playing the religious card with me will fail all the time, because the moment you play that card, I know you are an adversary that needs to be put down and I will not look back until I am done with you.

Interviewer: One of your policies that has generated a lot of controversy is the religious preaching bill. What does the government want to achieve when it becomes law and how are you going to tackle the anxiety that it has generated among the people?

El Rufai: Kaduna State, more than any state in Nigeria, if you take out the Yobe, Borno and Adamawa axis, which suffered from Boko Haram insurgency, has suffered the most from death and destruction of property due to misuse and abuse of religion. More people have been killed in Kaduna from the words that people have said. And if you go back in history to when the Maitasine incident happened; he was a Cameroonian that came to Nigeria and started preaching. The Emir of Kano had him deported back to Cameroon. After that, he managed to smuggle himself back again and continued preaching.

He was preaching a version of Islam that was intolerant, a version that called other Muslims pagans and so on. But in spite of what he was preaching, he acquired followers and we all know what happened. Military operation had to be mounted to flush them out. Those that escaped from the Maitasine crisis moved to Borno State and started the Kalakato sect, which again led to many deaths and destruction in the early 1990s.

All these came from people that were not trained in religious matters, people that woke up and started preaching and acquiring followers and inevitably their sects grew in large numbers to threaten communities and there were clashes.

That was also how Muhammed Yusuf started. He was a student of Sheik Jaafar Adam in Kano. They fell out because Jaafar felt that some of the views he was expressing were extreme and intolerant. He went and started his own sect and we all know what happened and we are still dealing with it.

Thus, when you have such things happening in your country, I think as leaders, we have to sit down and examine ourselves and the society and see what we can do to prevent it.

In my opinion, it is the lack of regulation of religion that led to all these circles of death and destruction. Just recently, we had the Shi’ite problem in Zaria, following a similar pattern.

I believe that before you start preaching in any religion, you should have gone through a system of education, training and some kind of certification. Even those that deal with the physical life get certified, let alone those that deal with the spiritual life. We initiated this bill from the Kaduna State Security Council, based on reports of new sects emerging in Kaduna State.

Interviewer: Are there recent cases?

El Rufai: There is one around Makarfi called Gausiyya, they do their Zuhr prayer around 11am, different from other Muslims. This is how this thing starts and if you don’t resolve it quickly, it grows into something else.

A woman in Makarfi said Prophet Muhammad (SAW) was speaking to her and sick people started going to her for their healing. The husband of this woman was busy collecting N1,000 as consultancy fee before people could see his wife. We had to take steps to end that movement because before you know it, people would start coming from far and wide and this woman would become our next problem.

It was the report of two or three of these that compelled us in the security council to ask the question, whether or not there was a law that regulates preaching. Then we were told there was a law; since 1984 after the Maitasine problems, the administration passed the law. It was subsequently amended several times to increase the fine and the imprisonment term. This is a living problem and we know it. Christian priests, the ones I know, go to seminary and spend so many years there, study under a more experienced Reverend to learn what to say and what not to say.

Interviewer: What about freedom of religion?

El Rufai: Some people have argued that there is freedom of religion, of course; Section 38 is very clear: We must not have a state religion, every Nigerian is allowed to practise their faith or even if they do not have any religion at all. However, those that are quoting Section 38 of the constitution conveniently forget Section 45 which says that you can regulate any human right if it would affect the right of others. You can practise your religion but you can’t do it in a way that abuses the right of another.

There is nothing in this law that is not in conformity with the constitution, or there is nothing new about it other than expanding the scope and after we sent the bill to the House of Assembly, I saw an article that alerted us of what we did not include: Blocking of federal highways, but that is in the Penal Code. It is good to have put it there because every Friday you see most mosques blocking roads. Why? We had to call them to a meeting to have a system that police would be there to guard and also control the traffic.

In my opinion, this is a law that we need not only in Kaduna State but almost all states in Nigeria and I want to assure you that, I just came back from the National Economic Council meeting, and a handful of the governors asked me to send them our own law because they thought they also needed it in their state. Everybody is watching to see how we will handle our own.

We sent it to the state assembly in October 2015 because some people are saying we sent it because of the Shi’ite problem. No! It was the state assembly that kept on looking at it and saying this one ‘na hot potato’ until now. But, on a very serious note, we don’t have any ulterior motive other than to put a framework that would ensure that Kaduna State people live in peace with everyone practising their religion and disallowing every Tom, Dick and Harry to come and say he can preach.

Interviewer: What is your take on the assumption by some in the state that hold that the bill is aimed at stopping the practice of Christianity and Islam in the state?

El Rufai: I have not seen anyone talking about Islam actually. Most of the people that say I would die, as if I would not die, are people who call themselves Christian clergy. Of course, I will die. If that apostle is truly an apostle, he should mention the day I will die. There is nothing in that law that prevents or infringes the practice of religion. It seeks to ensure that those that preach religion are qualified, trained and certified by their peers to do it.

And some sections of the media have made it as if the law was drafted against Christianity. It is most irresponsible and I have nothing to say except to leave the matter to God.

Full Interview: http://www.punchng.com/the-apostle-that-said-i-will-die-should-mention-the-date-el-rufai/

Enough said! Thanks for reading till the end. If you are interested in looking at the bill itself, go here: http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/04/03/kaduna-el-rufais-controversial-religious-bill/

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:52am On Apr 07, 2016
[b]THE BIBLE'S FINAL METAPHOR

Many parts of the world (but not all) are moving away from a literal interpretation of the Bible. The evidence that the Earth was not formed before the stars; the universe was not formed in a few days; and man did not suddenly pop into existence is so overwhelming, that you need a special kind of ignorance to believe the Biblical accounts.

But once you have taken that first step and accepted that the Bible is not literally true, it's easier to see that many parts of the Bible are not literally true. So, the talking snake story is a metaphor, the sun did not literally stop in the sky, Jesus did not literally mean hate your parents and your wife.

Taking out the indemonstrable, the disproved and the absurd, will surely make the Bible stronger and more suited to people in the age of science and reason. So, I urge you to go through your Bibles with a marker pen and highlight those parts that are literally unbelievable.

The more you think about it, the more you will delete. If you do this thoroughly, you will delete a great deal of the book.

When you put your pen down, if you see God has gone too--congratulations! You've deleted God, the Bible's final metaphor.[/b]

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:23pm On Apr 07, 2016
[b]Apostle Suleman's (AS) prophecy against El Rufai (ER) & the different scenarios
++++++++++
Scenario I: ER got slapped by his deputy. Of course, AS prophecy was about to come to pass. Afterall, being slapped is the first stage of dying.

Scenario II: ER died few days after the prophecy. Then AS is a true man of God (MOG). His word has come to pass.

Scenario III: ER is yet to die.

Possible answers
1. Well, AS is a true MOG; the prophecy is just not yet ripe for fulfillment

2. Well, AS is a true MOG: it's just that God is taking time to package ER's suffering so that when he releases it on him, it will be heavy before he dies.

3. Well, AS is a true MOG: it's just that God is waiting for ER to repent. God wants to give him some time to see whether he will repent. You know God doesn't like the death of a sinner but that the sinner should come to repentance.

4. Well, AS is a true MOG: it's just that ER has repented of his sins & God has forgiven him.

5. Well, AS is a true MOG and the prophecy has come to fulfillment already. Even though ER appears to be alive, he has died already. Spiritual death which is even worse than the physical death

6. Well, AS is a true MOG: he has withdrawn the curse from over ER's head & blessed him with a long life instead. It's just that he has not been captured on video withdrawing the curse.

Summary
When it comes to superstitions, anything can be defended. Your ability to defend anything just depends on how irrational you want to be. All the answers are on ground, ready made. Just choose the one that suits your level of sincerity & you're done.

You remember he said if ER didn't die, he's not a true MOG? As you can see above, I've plotted the graph: no matter what happens, he will always be a true MOG.
[/b]

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:39pm On Apr 08, 2016
[b]FIVE DAYS THAT UNRAVEL THE BIBLE

Let's for a moment assume that God is real and let's take the Genesis creation story at face-value. Many people believe that Moses was the author of the book of Genesis but I wonder where Moses got the story from?

Moses was a prophet who spoke directly to God. He was not alive at the time of the creation so he must have got the creation story from either God or part from God and part from the tales humans passed down from generation to generation. However, there is one part that no humans could have witnessed--the five frenetic days of creation before Adam was made. Only God could have told humans about those five days.

When we look at those five days we find they are wrong in every particular. The Earth was not made before our sun nor was it made before the stars, the star are not lights in a firmament; there is no firmament and there are no waters above it.

The day and night could not have been created before the sun since the sun, together with the rotation of the Earth, gives us day and night.

Life did not appear suddenly on the Earth over the course of a few days; several billion years passed between the earliest life forms and those we can see today.

The Genesis creation story is a comedy of errors and that allows us to draw a confident conclusion--Moses did not get the story from God. Which leaves only one possibility; the story came from the imaginations of men.

And that conclusion raises a further question, how much of the rest of Genesis came from the imaginations of men? And how much of the rest of the Bible?

Indeed, did God himself spring from the same creative well?
[/b]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:32pm On Apr 09, 2016
EVIDENCE OF GOD'S BLESSING

What are the evidence of God's blessings? Good spouse? Good job? Money? Adorable kids? Great and expensive accommodation? Nice cars? Education? Excellent grades? First class certificate?

These are the things propagated by Nigerian Pastors as evidence of God's grace and blessings. But then all around me, "unbelievers" actually enjoy all these and much more. What do I need God's grace for when I can get these things without it?

Something that supposedly comes from a "God" ought to be unique and should not be common among men. But it seems like Nigerian gods are actually competing with Nigerian politicians and "big men" for the wealth and success of life.

The truth is: The Nigerian Christian god and its blessings were created in the image of Nigerians and their desires. Gods ALWAYS behave like the people who created them!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:35am On Apr 10, 2016
NEWS: Pastor Adeboye leads VP Osinbajo, Nigerians in prayers against “Fuel Scarcity”
+++++
LOL...Can he not just pray for everyone to have cars that run on empty tanks?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:04pm On Apr 10, 2016
People should stop saying death is not their portion in Jesus' name.

People die everyday. Muslims, Christians, Animalists, Hindus, Buddhists, Agnostics, Everybody.

So stop deceiving yourself by saying death isn't your portion. Death is our portion as long as we live.

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:25pm On Apr 10, 2016
HOW ISSUES IN NIGERIA ARE DEALT WITH

Issue: This fuel scarcity is really biting hard. What can be done about it?

Blockhead: god will see us through o!

Issue: The spate of kidnapping/armed robbery is getting out of hand.

Blockhead: may god touch the heart of the evil ones o!

Issue: The government doesn't seem to be getting it right.

Blockhead: god should please take control o!

Issue: Something must be done about the Fulani herdsmen killings.

Blockhead: god will save us from there hands IJN. Amen.

It really does piss me off that blockheads won't let one have rational discourse over temporal issues without endlessly distracting one with their delusions.

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:30pm On Apr 11, 2016
THE APOSTATE'S PRAYER

Oh logic, which art forever.
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy time will come.
Thou will overcome on earth,
as thou should everywhere.
Give us this day a clear head,
and forgive us begging the question,
as we forgive those who equivocate against us.
Lead us not into circular reasoning,
but deliver us from delusion.
For thou brings us wisdom,
and good sense and tolerance,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 9:22am On Apr 12, 2016
joseph1013, i've been following this thread and really your change from stunch believer to the direct oppisite is stunning. Like i said earlier on in this thread, most of your assertions & questions are valid.

Nevertheless, i see you downplay the power of faith over logic and that's a mistake, trust me. Faith exists and it has and will always defy logic. I recommend 'the secret of the ages' by Robert Collier.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:33am On Apr 12, 2016
holamiday:
joseph1013, i've been following this thread and really your change from stunch believer to the direct oppisite is stunning. Like i said earlier on in this thread, most of your assertions & questions are valid.

Nevertheless, i see you downplay the power of faith over logic and that's a mistake, trust me. Faith exists and it has and will always defy logic. I recommend 'the secret of the ages' by Robert Collier.
[b]I loved that book. I got knowledge of it via The Secret. Years later, I got to realize that The Secret (book and movie) is a fraud. I could give you reasons why it is so, but now is not the time.

Back to that book, as usual we extrapolate from things the things we want to extrapolate. The book is not based on having faith, it is based on having a positive attitude to life. Here are a few outstanding quotes in the book:

"Visualize this thing you want. See it, feel it, believe in it. Make your mental blueprint and begin."

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out."

"Your chances of success in any undertaking can always be measured by your belief in yourself."

"All power is from within and therefore under our control."

"If you don't make things happen then things will happen to you."

"There is nothing on earth that you cannot have once you have mentally accepted the fact that you can have it."

"You are today the result of your thoughts of yesterday, and the many yesterdays preceeding it. You are forming today the mold for what you will be in the years to come."

"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do Or any kindness that I can show To any human being Let me do it now. Let me Not defer it or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again."

If the concept of believing in oneself is your idea of faith, then we are saying the same thing in different ways. However, that's not the way religious people use the word Faith. Their concept of Faith is believing in what has not been proven as fact. Now, that's not a virtue.

The turnaround from being a Christian to being someone who speaks against the ills of religion has to do with simple common sense. Really, there is no easier way to tell someone that all they have devoted their lives to is a lie. It's not pretty, and unless you're insincere with yourself, it's almost impossible to accept that most of my thoughts and questions in this page are valid without reexamining all you have ever been taught since childhood.

In the religious sense of it, Faith is more harmful than good.
[/b]

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 11:12am On Apr 12, 2016
I totally agree with the last statement in your response^^.

Please do something for me. Elucidate On your suggestion that 'the secret'(book & movie) is a fraud.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 3:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
joseph1013, once again, you said the religious concept of faith is not a virtue and i think that may not be totally true.

The bible(though i do not revere or totally believe in this book, but i admit it contains a whole lot of wisdom) says 'FAITH is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen'. Would you say this statement is baseless? Would you rather warn everyone to ignore it?

Take this for example, i intend to own a company. I exercise faith and i see everything on ground(even though they aren't, physically). Rebuke or endorse this action.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by urahara(m): 5:46pm On Apr 12, 2016
malvisguy212:
darwin was the pillar of atheism, there are disturbing messages about him in that link I post.

Darwin was agnostic
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:58pm On Apr 12, 2016
holamiday:
I totally agree with the last statement in your response^^.

Please do something for me. Elucidate On your suggestion that 'the secret'(book & movie) is a fraud.
[b]The arguments and explanations put forward in The Secret are generally unscientific, mystical, nonsensical and just plain wrong.

First, what is The Law of Attraction (TLoA)?

Let’s say you’re poor and really want to be rich. Instead of always complaining about being poor and always focusing on what you don’t have, TLoA says that you should visualize yourself as rich. See yourself in this situation. Feel what you would feel if you were in that situation. Then, somehow, money will come to you.

Simply stated, it is the belief that what you focus on is what you get (or create for yourself), and there is some truth to that – but not for any of the mystical reasons claimed in the terrible movie and book.

These are my major beefs with The Secret:

1: The movie claims that famous people knew “the secret”

The movie indicates that a number of famous people knew “the secret”, including Einstein, Plato, Newton and Edison. However, the movie offers no proof that any of these people knew of, agreed with or used the law of attraction.

2: The movie claims that TLoA is kept secret

The movie also claims that the people in power in society and business have long known of this law and worked to keep it from the rest of us.

Scenes are shown of people being persecuted for trying to steal the secret and (I assume) bring it out to the rest of us.

No proof of this is offered and to the best of my knowledge, no conscious effort has ever been made to keep TLoA secret.

3: The movie talks about electromagnetic waves/vibrations as the explanation for TLoA

The movie claims that since thoughts are electromagnetic waves, every thought we have spreads to and affects our surroundings, and this is why our thinking affects the universe. The movie repeatedly shows people who, as they visualize their goals, generate a wave or signal that emanates from their heads. In some of the cases, this wave is seen to spread over the entire Earth.

There are many things wrong with this assertion, primarily the fact that while thoughts are, at least in part, electromagnetic waves, there is no scientific indication that our brain waves alter the world around us in any meaningful way.

4: The movie claims that the universe will provide.

But my greatest beef with the movie is the claim that whatever you sit down and imagine in this way, the universe will provide.

Almost as if the universe is a big vending machine: Insert sincere wish here, pull out cold coke (or shiny new Ferrari) here.

That seems to me to be a very mechanical, shallow, self-serving description of the universe.

This is my point: Changing your thinking changes nothing out there, in the vast universe surrounding you. It changes something inside of you. Changing your perception, your focus, your emotions and your thinking from negative to positive (from what you lack to what you want) has an enormous effect on your motivation, energy and creativity and that’s why you will then be more efficient working towards your goals. It’s that simple. No electromagnetic waves emanate from your head, magically transforming the universe. No mystical vibrations affect your surroundings.

Changing your thinking does not change the quantum states of objects around you in any reliable, useful way. The universe doesn’t stand ready to grant your every wish. Rather, you change yourself and THEN you change your circumstances. It works through a combination of entirely non-mystical, psychological and rational mechanisms, including confirmation bias , positive thinking and optimism.

The Secret offers precisely zero evidence that it could ever be otherwise, and instead proposes a number of mystical, unscientific and entirely unproved explanations.
[/b]

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by UyiIredia(m): 6:04pm On Apr 12, 2016
joseph1013:
THE APOSTATE'S PRAYER
Oh logic, which art forever. Hallowed be thy name. Thy time will come. Thou will overcome on earth, as thou should everywhere. Give us this day a clear head, and forgive us begging the question, as we forgive those who equivocate against us. Lead us not into circular reasoning, but deliver us from delusion. For thou brings us wisdom, and good sense and tolerance, for ever and ever. Amen.
I may not be an apostate but I like this. That's creative thinking right there.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 6:37pm On Apr 12, 2016
joseph1013, i must say once again, the points you made above are actually quite relevant. The secret movie may have exaggerated. But let's look at the law of attraction from the more holistic general view. It states that everyone is the author of events and circumstances that come into their life whether good or bad, based on the state of their mind.

I know about confirmation bias and i'm cautious of it. What do you say about one of 2 friends seeing success in a particular area of life even when they have both put in the same amount of work. I've seen people enjoy the so-called 'unmerited favour'. I've seen answered prayers & unanswered prayers. What do you say about the woman who healed herself of cancer in 'the secret' movie?

So, apart from your 'belief' motivating your own self, i believe it could actually go ahead of you to create your circumstances. If you really do not believe that, then please explain to me what causes our circumstances? If you say chance, then explain to me who 'chance' is, and how one may reach and probably influence her.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:04pm On Apr 12, 2016
holamiday:
joseph1013, once again, you said the religious concept of faith is not a virtue and i think that may not be totally true.

The bible(though i do not revere or totally believe in this book, but i admit it contains a whole lot of wisdom) says 'FAITH is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen'. Would you say this statement is baseless? Would you rather warn everyone to ignore it?

Take this for example, i intend to own a company. I exercise faith and i see everything on ground(even though they aren't, physically). Rebuke or endorse this action.

[b]Saying you hold unto the Bible because it contains a whole lot of wisdom is the same as a Lord of the Ring fan saying he holds unto the JRR Tolkien's books. They contain alot of wisdom too. If that can be said about the two books, then they are no different to the thousands of books written over the years.

The truth is that the Bible does not contain extraordinary truth. Take for example, the Golden Rule which is perhaps the best the Bible has to offer, versions and variants of it have been in existence thousands of years before the Bible was written. From China to India to the core African societies, they have been principles adhered to by humans for survival.

Talking about Faith, it's obvious you're not vast in the Bible. If you are, you will realize that Hebrews 11:1 from whence that statement was plucked has a context. Let me give you some of the rest verses.

1. Now faith is confidence in what we hope
for and assurance about what we do not see.
This is what the ancients were commended
for.

2. By faith we understand that the universe
was formed at God’s command, so that what
is seen was not made out of what was
visible.

3. By faith Abel brought God a better offering
than Cain did. By faith he was commended
as righteous, when God spoke well of his
offerings. And by faith Abel still speaks, even
though he is dead.

4. By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so
that he did not experience death...

Can you see how what the Bible is referring to is totally different from you having a mental picture of what you want and having the belief in yourself that you can make it happen?
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:33pm On Apr 12, 2016
holamiday:
joseph1013, i must say once again, the points you made above are actually quite relevant. The secret movie may have exaggerated. But let's look at the law of attraction from the more holistic general view. It states that everyone is the author of events and circumstances that come into their life whether good or bad, based on the state of their mind.

I know about confirmation bias and i'm cautious of it. What do you say about one of 2 friends seeing success in a particular area of life even when they have both put in the same amount of work. I've seen people enjoy the so-called 'unmerited favour'. I've seen answered prayers & unanswered prayers. What do you say about the woman who healed herself of cancer in 'the secret' movie?

So, apart from your 'belief' motivating your own self, i believe it could actually go ahead of you to create your circumstances. If you really do not believe that, then please explain to me what causes our circumstances? If you say chance, then explain to me who 'chance' is, and how one may reach and probably influence her.
[b] Let me take my time to give you my thoughts on The Law of Attraction and why it is a truckload of rubbish.

The Law of Attraction is taught in many different ways and many teachers have their own "spin" on what the term means.

The basic gist, though, is the same from teacher to teacher and it's basically this claim: that you can control external events, people and conditions by simply focusing your thoughts on a desired outcome.

I used to have many books in my library on "law of attraction" and three examples that appear regularly in these books are:

1. Traffic lights. The idea is that, if you focus your thoughts correctly and you manage your "vibration" with the Universe, then you can actually "manifest" green lights with surprising regularity.

2. Parking spaces. By focusing your thoughts and feelings on feeling good and appreciative of a nice parking space right next to the entrance.....supposedly you will "manifest" empty parking spaces where you want them.

3. Unexpected connections. More accidental than on-purpose, this example refers to those incidents where you think of someone that you haven't thought of in years and then you get a communication from that person.

We can go on and on but the basic question here is simply this: is there any reason to think that these things are happening because someone is controlling the Universe with their thoughts?

And the answer is "no".

And here's why:

Two factors that contribute to the illusion that one can "control the Universe" by the way they think are:

1. The average person's ignorance of the laws of probability
2. Confirmation bias

The average person has no real grasp of probability and how amazing it is. We can demonstrate this with a simple question:

Which of the following options is more likely in ten tosses of a coin?

A. H T H H T T H T T H

B. H H H H H H H H H H

The answer is "neither". One is just as likely as the other one. The only reason it appears to be less likely is because of something called the Gambler's Fallacy: it's the logical trap of thinking that a coin is "due" to come up tails. But a coin has no memory. Every time you flip a coin, it's a 50/50 chance.

Or, consider something that has a 1 in ONE MILLION chance of occurring. Sounds pretty rare, doesn't it? Until you realize that could happen 200 times today in the Nigeria alone. Or over 7,000 times worldwide.

Probability is an infinitely powerful concept. Given enough time and enough events, lots of things can "line up" so that it appears that the cause must be something supernatural......but it's perfectly natural.

The other factor is called "Confirmation Bias". Confirmation bias also plays a huge role. This is simply the tendency for people to notice/amplify when things DO happen and ignore/minimize when they don't.

For instance, have you ever had this happen? You're in the shower and you think of someone you haven't thought of in a long time.....and then you get a phone call or email from them the same day?

You've probably had that experience. They're noticeable.

But, how many times have you thought of someone you haven't thought of in a long time....and they did NOT contact you that same day?

Answer: thousands. It happens all the time. But we don't notice.

That's confirmation bias. We ignore when it doesn't happen and we notice when it does. And then we attach some type of meaning to that incident even though it's purely coincidence.

That's how the law of attraction REALLY works.

You do not control the Universe with your thoughts.

You do not "manifest" events in your reality through mystical process.

You cannot sit on your couch and think positively about money all day long and have it magically fall into your bank account.

If people want to know "The Secret", it's not on a DVD. It's simply this:

1. Set a goal
2. Create a plan for achieving it
3. Take action with persistence, consistency and determination
4. While you're taking action, increase your knowledge and keep your eyes open for opportunities.
4. Check your results
5. Make corrections as needed
6. Repeat Steps 3-6 until you reach your goal

That is how every successful person in the world has achieved their results. No mysticism required.
[/b]

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:19pm On Apr 12, 2016
joseph1013, so much to digest from your responses. Phew!! But you still have 't answered my concluding questions.

From whence do circumstances(which are beyond control)in a man's life come from? Where are they designed? How do i choose my experiences?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:30pm On Apr 12, 2016
holamiday:
joseph1013, so much to digest from your responses. Phew!! But you still have 't answered my concluding questions.

From whence do circumstances(which are beyond control)in a man's life come from? Where are they designed? How do i choose my experiences?
I already answered in my response you've not digested.

- From whence do circumstances (which are beyond control) in a man's life come from? Where are they designed?
+ Probability and Confirmation bias

- How do I choose my experiences?
+ See Steps 1-6

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by urahara(m): 8:55pm On Apr 12, 2016
joseph1013:
EVIDENCE OF GOD'S BLESSING

What are the evidence of God's blessings? Good spouse? Good job? Money? Adorable kids? Great and expensive accommodation? Nice cars? Education? Excellent grades? First class certificate?

These are the things propagated by Nigerian Pastors as evidence of God's grace and blessings. But then all around me, "unbelievers" actually enjoy all these and much more. What do I need God's grace for when I can get these things without it?

Something that supposedly comes from a "God" ought to be unique and should not be common among men. But it seems like Nigerian gods are actually competing with Nigerian politicians and "big men" for the wealth and success of life.

The truth is: The Nigerian Christian god and its blessings were created in the image of Nigerians and their desires. Gods ALWAYS behave like the people who created them!
p

bros u are 2 much
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:06pm On Apr 12, 2016
urahara:
p
bros u are 2 much
Boss...I remain loyal.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
joseph1013:
I already answered in my response you've not digested.

- From whence do circumstances (which are beyond control) in a man's life come from? Where are they designed?
+ Probability and Confirmation bias

- How do I choose my experiences?
+ See Steps 1-6
Probability? That's simply 'chance'. You mean events and circumstances happening in your life are based on chance? Ain't you worried about that? Isn't that scary?
joseph1013, methinks you need to think more, study more and come back to modify that^^^
No offence bro.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:55am On Apr 13, 2016
holamiday:
Probability? That's simply 'chance'. You mean events and circumstances happening in your life are based on chance? Ain't you worried about that? Isn't that scary?
joseph1013, methinks you need to think more, study more and come back to modify that^^^
No offence bro.
LOL. The word Probability offends the religious, but it's completely legitimate. I swear, a study of the concept of Probability will change how you view life and will easily make you be able to single out charlatans. Why not digest that lengthy response first and see how the very short explanation I gave under Probability.

So you see, you're the one who still has some knowledge to acquire.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:44pm On Apr 14, 2016
[b]GOD DID THIS AND GOD DID THAT

Billions of people believe in God because they believe God did something. That something may have been as extraordinary as creating the universe from nothing; as complex as creating humans; as caring as healing a sick child, or as helpful as finding a parking space in a crowded lot.

But did these people SEE God do these things? Did God explain HOW he did what he did? Were there any witnesses? Did God leave any evidence that unequivocally tied him to these acts?

Of course, the answer to all these questions is always the same. It is always NO. There is never anything at all that links God to the event.

Even if you prayed for something to happen and it happened, that does not mean God made it happen--there are always other possible explanations. Even if you can't think of an explanation, there may be an explanation that you are unaware of.

So when you think God did something, you have only an hypothesis, and no sensible person believes an hypothesis until it is shown to be true. But that hypothesis has never, ever been shown to be true, which is why I don't believe God did anything at all.

And neither should you.
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ramonchang(m): 8:46pm On Apr 15, 2016
I have read this thread from 1-36 n I must you are a "prophet" because you have your own "religion",the simplest I must say. keep it up bro!!

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 16, 2016
joseph1013:
[b]GOD DID THIS AND GOD DID THAT

Billions of people believe in God because they believe God did something. That something may have been as extraordinary as creating the universe from nothing; as complex as creating humans; as caring as healing a sick child, or as helpful as finding a parking space in a crowded lot.

But did these people SEE God do these things? Did God explain HOW he did what he did? Were there any witnesses? Did God leave any evidence that unequivocally tied him to these acts?

Of course, the answer to all these questions is always the same. It is always NO. There is never anything at all that links God to the event.

Even if you prayed for something to happen and it happened, that does not mean God made it happen--there are always other possible explanations. Even if you can't think of an explanation, there may be an explanation that you are unaware of.

So when you think God did something, you have only an hypothesis, and no sensible person believes an hypothesis until it is shown to be true. But that hypothesis has never, ever been shown to be true, which is why I don't believe God did anything at all.

And neither should you.
[/b]
the boss of bosses ride on jare

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CltrAltDelicious(m): 9:22am On Apr 16, 2016
This has to be the best thread on NL IMO
Keep up the good work my fine Sire cool

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:35am On Apr 16, 2016
[b]SYRIA, ISLAMIC STATE AND THE BIBLE

Just seeing the news that last month, US Secretary of State, John Kerry said IS (Daesh) was "genocidal by self proclamation, by ideology and by actions". He said this Islamic group had committed genocide against Yazidis, Christians and Shia Muslims.

Attacks against Yazidis included (just like Boko Haram) the execution of hundreds of men and boys and enslavement of hundreds of women and girls. The women and girls were sold as slaves or forced to "marry" IS fighters, which is the Islamic way of saying they were forcibly used for sex--they were raped.

There cannot be many people, regardless of religion, who are not deeply horrified by this systematic brutality. But Christians would do well to remember Numbers 31.

In this Bible chapter, God ordered Moses to punish the Midianites. The Israelites attacked the Midianites as commanded, killed all the men and brought all the women and children back to their camp. But, in verses 17-18, Moses was angry that they had failed to killed everyone, so he ordered all the married women and boy children to be slaughtered but the virgin girls to be kept for the men.

According the the Bible, God ordered the 32,000 virgins to be shared among the soldiers and other men. Thirty two virgins were sacrificed to God.

Fortunately, there is no reason to believe this story is true but, if you believe it, ask yourself what exactly is the difference between the behaviour of God and the behaviour of IS?

Remember that question next time you get on your knees to pray.

Numbers 31:17-18
17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. 18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:52am On Apr 16, 2016
CltrAltDelicious:
This has to be the best thread on NL IMO
Keep up the good work my fine Sire cool
Thanks boss!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (130) (Reply)

Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.