Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,002 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Can 'Love' Exist Without Mutual Dependence and Commitments? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can 'Love' Exist Without Mutual Dependence and Commitments? (2591 Views)

Can Love Exist Without Jealousy? / Does Love Exist Over The Net? / Does True Love Exist Among Nigerian Lovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Can 'Love' Exist Without Mutual Dependence and Commitments? by salako: 9:08am On Sep 29, 2005
Is it the fear of loneliness that drives people together, followed by mutual dependence (companionship/money), mutual commitments (kids/family).

The above does not suggest the deep down people are unhappy but without being mutually dependent and or sharing mutual commitments, can their be such a thing as "love"?

For all you smarty-pants out there, I am talking about lasting "love" and not the four-month Hollywood matrimonial type!
Re: Can 'Love' Exist Without Mutual Dependence and Commitments? by vexxy(f): 4:33pm On Sep 29, 2005
Great topic!

I do not think that it is the fear of loneliness that drives all people together. Some find the one they marry when they are not even looking to be in a relationship. If fear of loneliness is what brings them together, it can also be the thing to tear them apart. I’m saying that because they can force themselves into an obviously no good relationship just for the sake of being with someone. That, in my opinion, does not qualify as love.

I wouldn’t say mutual dependance as much as I’d say complimenting one another. By saying this I mean that one may be lacking certain skills or personality traits that the other makes up for thereby making one complete unit. What do you think about that one?

Also, I feel that love can exist without mutual commitments. You are able to love someone and not share ideas as far as kids and family. It may bring your “relationship” to a screeching halt but it would not prevent you from loving that person.
Re: Can 'Love' Exist Without Mutual Dependence and Commitments? by dablessed(f): 9:02pm On Sep 30, 2005
Love in itself is a commitment. When u choose to love someone, u choose to be commited to a certain degree and it does not have to be convenient.

what is mutual dependence? It is a simbiotic kind of relationship which means both parties gain/lose. It is not parasitic whereby only one party gains/loses.

But then, the above only leaves me to wonder!!! For God so loved the world that He Gave... He wasnt actually expecting something back in return was HE? Nay nay nay...
Re: Can 'Love' Exist Without Mutual Dependence and Commitments? by hotangel2(f): 4:35am On Oct 01, 2005
To answer your Question: YES, love can exist without mutual dependence and commitments.
Re: Can 'Love' Exist Without Mutual Dependence and Commitments? by salako: 6:16am On Oct 01, 2005
you call that an answer? explain yourself!
make a point, or keep quiet.
Re: Can 'Love' Exist Without Mutual Dependence and Commitments? by salako: 6:35am On Oct 01, 2005
i didnt mean to be rude, i am now sobering uop.
Re: Can 'Love' Exist Without Mutual Dependence and Commitments? by gina34(f): 2:10pm On Oct 01, 2005
Well i think love can exist without mutual dependence and commitment.

Coz once you love somebody, you are somehow commited to the person.
Re: Can 'Love' Exist Without Mutual Dependence and Commitments? by DEKING3(m): 6:52pm On Oct 02, 2005
In a way it can but that depends on what those involved want in the relationship. I'll rather refer to the mutual dependence as complimenting each other. But for commitment, you have to be comited one way or the other.

(1)

Anonymous / Men Who Buy Or Offer To Buy Drinks To Women They Just Met In A Bar Are Suckers / Why Do You Love Slim Girls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.