Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:56 PM

Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer (34823 Views)

Tension In Anambra As 47 Boko Haram Prisoners Arrive Ekwulobia Prisons / MASSOB Urges UN To Recognise State Of Biafra / Breaking! Economic Activities Crippled In Anambra As Fuel Price Rise To ¥250 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by fkaz(m): 12:59pm On Dec 17, 2014
The Senate yesterday rejected a bill seeking to amend the Niger Delta Development Commission Act Cap 86 laws of Nigeria in order to recognise and include Anambra as an oil-producing state.

The sponsor of the bill, Senator Andy Uba, who led the debate on the proposal anchored his decision on the declaration by President Goodluck Jonathan, that Anambra had joined the league of oil-producing states in the country when he visited the state this year.

He argued that with Jonathan’s pronouncement, Anambra had since “joined the oil bearing states of Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Imo, Edo, Abia and Ondo states, as home to the nation’s oil installations and a rich wet land.”
Andy said:

“These communities account for 93 per cent of the country’s export earnings and provide the economic lifeline that sustains the Nigerian state and as a result of which this amendment is being sought for Anambra to be part and parcel of the NDDC.”

He pointed out that the integration of Anambra as part of the NDDC states was necessary to avoid the violent conflicts that accompanied all oil exploration activities which include environmental degradation.

The legislator further noted that the objective of the bill was also to ensure the socio-economic development of the host communities where oil installations are located and the general development of the state.

Senators who made contributions to the bill noted that a mere pronouncement from Jonathan, which was not based on any empirical fact, was not enough to make Anambra an oil-producing state. Senator Attai Ali said he was against the bill because the issue of delineation between Kogi, Anambra and Enugu states which shared common boundaries with the oil installation was still ongoing.

Also Senator Ayogu Eze expressed opposition to the bill, explaining that Jonathan had admitted that he made the pronouncement ascribed to him by Uba in a haste. According to him, Jonathan’s statement degenerated into crisis between the states that shared common boundaries, where the facility was located which forced him to set up a committee led by Vice- President Namadi Sambo to resolve the problem.

Senate President David Mark supported the views of his colleagues and noted that since the issue was not only technical, but also controversial, it was better to suspend further action on the bill, pending the report of the presidential committee.

The senators voted in support of the motion to suspend further action on the bill pending the outcome of the presidential committee on the issue, thereby compelling the sponsor to withdraw the bill.

http://newtelegraphonline.com/senate-rejects-bill-to-recognise-anambra-as-oil-producer/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 17, 2014
The issue with Kogi is still unresolved...

Also Senator Ayogu Eze expressed opposition to the bill, explaining that Jonathan had admitted that he made the pronouncement ascribed to him by Uba in a haste. According to him, Jonathan’s statement degenerated into crisis between the states that shared common boundaries, where the facility was located which forced him to set up a committee led by Vice- President Namadi Sambo to resolve the problem.

See a whole President causing confusion. SMH undecided

44 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 17, 2014
It is only right to cure the affliction of ignorance when discovered, so please kindly enlighten me on how Abia is an oil producing state.

And Imo?

How and when did they start producing oil? I'm not talking discovery of crude oil presence, I am talking production in the class of Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom.

14 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by ammyluv2002(f): 1:02pm On Dec 17, 2014
I don't know what to say embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by holatin(m): 1:05pm On Dec 17, 2014
state and capital
Anambra awka.

make them give them there right as long they produced the required emblemdino

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by size38: 1:10pm On Dec 17, 2014
This is a welcome development. Anambra state does not have any oil. The oil they claim to have belongs to kogi state. Before una bounce on me, am not yoruba, hausa or igbo. Am a free born of south-south.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by ibedun: 1:14pm On Dec 17, 2014
IGBO KWENU!!!. You gotta give it to this people, 419 to this level?

Haba Oyel no dey Anambra nau!

30 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by AJINATU: 1:15pm On Dec 17, 2014
A gulley eroded and red soiled land cannot produce oil

20 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by AJINATU: 1:17pm On Dec 17, 2014
What is anambra?

8 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 17, 2014
And this senator ayogu eze wants to become governor smh

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by fkaz(m): 1:23pm On Dec 17, 2014
Jonathan declare Anambra state has oil producing state

Jonathan commission onitsha river port even when he know it won't work

Jonathan promise of building 2nd niger bridge within 4 year

ALL na SCAM,

Wise up

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Iykopee(m): 1:31pm On Dec 17, 2014
Lotta stupid posters above moi...one is even asking if abia and imo are oil producing states...

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 1:31pm On Dec 17, 2014
Just a temporary set back. Oil is no longer a major earner, so who cares. Over-dependence on oil has seen the Russian currency crash to nothing in one week.

Anambra does not depend on oil alone and never will. The oil will never go to Kogi and thanks to the senate for reminding the Presidency on doing the needful. I have evry faith the executive gov of GEJ will do just that.

Kogi or Enugu will not get a penny from Anambra oil sales. Cry me a river.

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 17, 2014
9jacrip:
[s] It is only right to cure the affliction of ignorance when discovered, so please kindly enlighten me on how Abia is an oil producing state.

And Imo?

How and when did they start producing oil? I'm not talking discovery of crude oil presence, I am talking production in the class of Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom. [/s]
Nonsense!!
Do you want to tell me Abia and Imo does not produce oil or they should not be in the league of other states you mentioned? What are you insinuating or you're just trying to be tribalistic? angry angry

33 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 1:35pm On Dec 17, 2014
berem:
Nonsense!!
Do you want to tell me Abia and Imo does not produce oil or they should not be in the league of other states you mentioned? What are you insinuating or you're just trying to be tribalistic? angry angry

You have not answered the question.

Is Abia an oil producing state? Since when didit start producing oil? Imo inclusive but my question is concerned with Abia much more. That state is no different from Osun (which is not an oil producing state).

2 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by moderattor: 1:41pm On Dec 17, 2014
Anambra is already an oil producer whether they like it or yes.

16 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 17, 2014
9jacrip:

Is Abia an oil producing state? Since when didit start producing oil? Imo inclusive but my question is concerned with Abia much more. That state is no different from Osun (which is not an oil producing state).

please who doesn't know that Abia and Imo are oil producing states and are part of NDDC? Who doesn't know that? Do I need to show you links to prove to you that you are a liar?
Oh please!! angry angry

26 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 17, 2014
berem:
please who doesn't know that Abia and Imo are oil producing states and are part of NDDC? Who doesn't know that? Do I need to show you links to prove to you that you are a liar?
Oh please!! angry angry

You seem unnecessarily angry.
I asked a question, since when did questions start getting regarded as lies? I'm only curious, we know oil producing states in the 'producing sense'. I'm only wondering what oil is Abia producing when it is even a poor state and under-developed infrastructurally?

Being part of NNDC does not mean'chit', it is all for revenue sharing.

I am not here to argue, I am just curious and please post links for me to feed on rather than go back and forth.

7 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by tobechi20(m): 1:49pm On Dec 17, 2014
Gooduck- author of confusion

10 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by joseph1832(m): 1:49pm On Dec 17, 2014
ilugunboy:

Imagine the guy doesn't have his facts straight. One will have to even question the type of aides and advisers GEJ has.

11 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 17, 2014
9jacrip:

You seem unnecessarily angry.
I asked a question, since when did questions start getting regarded as lies? I'm only curious, we know oil producing states in the 'producing sense'. I'm only wondering what oil is Abia producing when it is even a poor state and under-developed infrastructurally?

Being part of NNDC does not mean'chit', it is all for revenue sharing.

I am not here to argue, I am just curious and please post links for me to feed on rather than go back and forth.
go to google and feed yourself,don't think I will do that for you. I am also not in the mood for back and forth argument.

angry angry

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 17, 2014
The sponsor of the bill, [size=20pt]Senator Andy Uba[/size], who led the debate on the proposal anchored his decision on the declaration by President Goodluck Jonathan, that Anambra had joined the league of oil-producing states in the country when he visited the state this year

Also [size=20pt]Senator Ayogu Eze[/size] expressed opposition to the bill, explaining that Jonathan had admitted that he made the pronouncement ascribed to him by Uba in a haste. According to him, Jonathan’s statement degenerated into crisis between the states that shared common boundaries, where the facility was located which forced him to set up a committee led by Vice- President Namadi Sambo to resolve the problem.

See how brother betray brother? I won't say anything on the issue for reason best known to me. But ...

18 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 17, 2014
berem:
go to google and feed yourself,don't think I will do that for you. I am also not in the mood for back and forth argument.

angry angry

I have done that but apart from Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Edo. The others are generally brushed aside or mentioned in passing.

My inference from the above is that the 5 states actually bear the weight of oil profuction and the other states cannot even sustain Nigeria alone with whatever oil they produce.

Lastly, I generally do not expect an oil producing state to be dead like Abia is. It should be merged with Imo, honestly.

5 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 1:54pm On Dec 17, 2014
9jacrip:

Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa accounts for 80% of crude oil production while Imo, Abia and Ondo shares the rest (20%). Cross river no longer produces oil but still part of Niger Delta

5 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 17, 2014
harde2lah:

Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa accounts for 80% of crude oil production while Imo, Abia and Ondo shares the rest (20%)

Thank you.
Now let's share the 20% amongst the 3 states in order of production output.
The whole NDDC membership and slamming states into it needs to be reviewed. To me it appears political. And I can guess Imo & Abia became part of NDDC under Jonathan (I might be wrong).

Lumping unworthy states into NDDC is the problem Jonathan has created with the Kogi-Anambra face-off.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 17, 2014
9jacrip:

I have done that but apart from Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Edo. The others are generally brushed aside or mentioned in passing.

My inference from the above is that the 5 states actually bear the weight of oil profuction and the other states cannot even sustain Nigeria alone with whatever oil they produce.

Lastly, I generally do not expect an oil producing state to be dead like Abia is. It should be merged with Imo, honestly.
is that your prayer? Well,let's keep praying for oil prices to continue falling. So that people like you would be happier that Imo and Abia should not be listed as oil producing states. cheesy undecided
Have a nice day!!

8 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Nobody: 2:03pm On Dec 17, 2014
berem:
is that your prayer? Well,let's keep praying for oil prices to continue falling. So that people like you would be happier that Imo and Abia should not be listed as oil producing states. cheesy undecided
Have a nice day!!

You have chosen to see my point from the tribalist and economic gain angle and I cannot help you.

Abia and Imo oil production cannot even sustain the whole of South East. The oil there should have been left untouched since 5 states already account for as much as 80% of the production.

5 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by nku5: 2:09pm On Dec 17, 2014
ilugunboy:

The matter is still unresolved for crying out loud, why Andy Uba has to jump the gun is beyond me. I would rather wait until the boundary commission finishes its work and serve a copy of the report to the senate let's see how they won't pass my bill.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by nduchucks: 2:15pm On Dec 17, 2014
The Igbofobia ailment which afflicts many of the posters on this thread has also had an effect on their thinking capabilities.

Instead of making cogent arguments in support of, or against the senate action, the justification for their points of view is simply that Anambra is in Igbo land. Bloody racist and tribalists ka ha bu. nansense

29 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Dosinspector(m): 2:22pm On Dec 17, 2014
Goodluck is do
Goodluck will do
Goodluck are do
Goodluck e do 2019!!!

5 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by Ikengawo: 2:25pm On Dec 17, 2014
9jacrip:
It is only right to cure the affliction of ignorance when discovered, so please kindly enlighten me on how Abia is an oil producing state.

And Imo?

How and when did they start producing oil? I'm not talking discovery of crude oil presence, I am talking production in the class of Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom.

Imo's Njaba reserve is the deepest in west africa. There's oil all over the state, don't be ignorant. Abia as well and both are in the Niger Delta

8 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects Bill To Recognise Anambra As Oil Producer by brown3: 2:28pm On Dec 17, 2014
berem:
Oh please!! angry angry
these re the people u want the ibos to vote for. If they could denied u what is rightfully yours now that they re not in power, what will happen when they get the power? be wise before it is too late.

21 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Bola Tinubu Shows Off His Swags In New Photos / Atiku Insists On Selling NNPC, Says ‘it Has Failed To Serve Its Purpose’ / How We Arrived At N145 Price For Fuel, By Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.