Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students (22207 Views)

6 ways Nigerian Lecturers,frustrate their student. / ::: Funny Ways Nigerian Students Cheat During An Examination::: ( Pics) / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Rapmoney(m): 2:03pm On Dec 17, 2014
October, 2014 made it 8 years I successfully graduated from the university. I still vividly remember some of those unnecessary fees, dues and levies we had to pay in order to obtain that 'overrated paper' called certificate wink The truth is that most of these fees paid by university undergraduates are highly defrauding. I don't know if some of them still exist or if more have been added to the ones I have always known of. Here we go:

1. Accreditation fee: What the heck does this mean? Instead of sincerely apologizing to me for collecting money from me as tuition fee, when the university or department I have been admitted to lacks legality, how dare you turn around and ask me to fund the accreditation exercise? Nigerian universities would not use money collected as accreditation fees from students to purchase facilities that would aid academic and scholastic pursuits. The monies end up in private pockets. Prof. Ezekwe should rot in hell grin

2. Acceptance fee: Accepting or rejecting admission should be done simply through written letter or any other form that can act as a formal notification. Collecting 5k to 10k (don't know if that's the current fee) as acceptance fee is fraudulent! I often wonder why students pay to accept an admission offer

3. Students' Affairs dues: Another fraudulent fee! What does this department do? Students' affairs units in our universities are not relevant to the socio-economic issues students face on daily basis on campus. All through my days in the Ivory Tower, I was a fervent payer of Students' Affairs dues yet I fought all my problems myself what ever form they came. So what does our money do as dues? A student who couldn't pay medical bills was allowed to suffer, yet a fervent payer like myself.

4. Post UME forms and Scratch Cards: Why sell forms or cards when you know the capacity of the school will not be able to accommodate the teeming youths seeking for admission? This is fraudulent. Nigerian universities lower their cut-off marks just to attract desperate candidates. They need people to purchase cards and forms when in essence, these people won't even see or touch the school's matric gown for that academic session. Jambites, next time a friend tells you that Migwor University or University of Vrendo accepts 150 as cut-off mark, you might just be one of the steps on the ladder for that university to make serious money!

5. In all, selling of handouts, unnecessary and low-standard books to students, useless old rusted machines in faculties of Engineering, old and outdated computers in Computer Science dept. are all fraud! That's why we have been producing elect/elect Engineers that cannot connect lamp-holder, talk less of manufacturing wrist-watch cheesy

Pls, feel free to add yours.

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by enoqueen: 2:06pm On Dec 17, 2014
well said.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Rapmoney(m): 2:09pm On Dec 17, 2014
enoqueen:
well said.

Thanks.
Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by ishiamu(m): 2:13pm On Dec 17, 2014
University extorting from students since 1960
Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Rapmoney(m): 2:26pm On Dec 17, 2014
ishiamu:
University extorting from students since 1960

Poor man children nor fit go university again? This is why majority of our female undergraduates are runs girls. They try to keep up with the bills.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by ishiamu(m): 2:28pm On Dec 17, 2014
Rapmoney:

Poor man children nor fit go university again? This is why majority of our female undergraduates are runs girls. They try to keep up with the bills.

I don't think that should be basics of prostitution/runs you musnt go to school to be rich

6 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Rapmoney(m): 2:37pm On Dec 17, 2014
ishiamu:

I don't think that should be basics of prostitution/runs you musnt go to school to be rich

How do they pay their fees when the parents can't afford it?

3 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by herald9: 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2014
When it comes to extorting money from students... Uniuyo is second to nonecheesy

Imagine...the acceptance fee for UNICAL is 10k...
UNIUYO is 15k.

Most universities release their second admission list free of charge... but in UNIUYO you've to pay from 1k to 2k according to how late you were.

After you've scaled through this hurdle and finally go for screening... much more surprises awaits you.

This is why I always fantasize becoming a lecturer or working in the university.

These people are unknown business gurus.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Nobody: 3:25pm On Dec 17, 2014
herald9:
When it comes to extorting money from students... Uniuyo is second to nonecheesy

UNIUYO is 15k.
Cheap!

UI- 20K
FUTO- 40K

5 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by herald9: 3:33pm On Dec 17, 2014
FrancisTony:

Cheap!

UI- 20K
FUTO- 40K

Outrageous!

5 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 17, 2014
FrancisTony:

Cheap!

UI- 20K
FUTO- 40K
tell him o. Uniben-45k

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Rapmoney(m): 3:44pm On Dec 17, 2014
FrancisTony:

Cheap!

UI- 20K
FUTO- 40K

I never knew students somewhere pay up to that as acceptance fee! Crazy!
Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Rapmoney(m): 3:48pm On Dec 17, 2014
Jennimma:

tell him o. Uniben-45k

If u pay 45k as acceptance fee, school fee come be how much?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Nobody: 3:56pm On Dec 17, 2014
Rapmoney:

12k for non-indigenes,10k for indigenes
Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Thewhizzkid1(m): 3:58pm On Dec 17, 2014
herald9:

UNIUYO is 15k.

Most universities release their second admission list free of charge... but in UNIUYO you've to pay from 1k to 2k according to how late you were.

After you've scaled through this hurdle and finally go for screening... much more surprises awaits you.

This is why I always fantasize becoming a lecturer or working in the university.

These people are unknown business gurus.
What will u then say of AAU? I paid 50k as acceptance fee(AAU)
Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by herald9: 4:04pm On Dec 17, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:

What will u then say of AAU? I paid 50k as acceptance fee(AAU)

Outrageously ridiculous! shocked

5 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by herald9: 4:12pm On Dec 17, 2014
Jennimma:

it's part of the school fee then..
this one I'm talking bout paying 15k just to tell them 'yes,I have accepted this offer '

The school fees and other payments are another thing entirely.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Obrizzy(m): 4:21pm On Dec 17, 2014
lols u guys havent seen anytin 40k fr acceptance fee ,97k skool fees at OOU and thats just fr computer science ,inagine what med students will pay

6 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Rapmoney(m): 5:49pm On Dec 17, 2014
Jennimma:

Is that the same Uniben my siblings attended? U mean say acceptance fee cost pass school fee? Shuo!!!
Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:27pm On Dec 17, 2014
Obrizzy:
lols u guys havent seen anytin 40k fr acceptance fee ,97k skool fees at OOU and thats just fr computer science ,inagine what med students will pay
Christ!!!! 97k for school fees? OOU? Nawa o.
Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Obrizzy(m): 7:40pm On Dec 17, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:

Christ!!!! 97k for school fees? OOU? Nawa o.
i swear its horrible
Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by ishiamu(m): 11:06am On Dec 18, 2014
Rapmoney:

How do they pay their fees when the parents can't afford it?

Like I said you musnt be educated to be rich.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Bolaji21(m): 6:03pm On Dec 18, 2014
What about SUG due, college/faculty due, departmental due, rectification fee etc

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Bolaji21(m): 6:03pm On Dec 18, 2014
Rapmoney:

FUNAAB
Acceptance + ICT fee- 45k
Sch fee- 32k

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Rapmoney(m): 12:03am On Dec 19, 2014
Bolaji21:

FUNAAB
Acceptance + ICT fee- 45k
Sch fee- 32k

Our country dor dabaru!
Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Karleb(m): 2:03am On Dec 19, 2014
ishiamu:

Like I said you musnt be educated to be rich.

You mean people should only attend school just because they want to be rich, right? undecided

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by holatin(m): 6:57am On Dec 19, 2014
They are collecting their right now.

There is no defrauding there or you don't know
STEALING IS NOT CORRUPTION.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by stinggy(m): 6:58am On Dec 19, 2014
Caution fee:- they never pay it back, even to we peaceful students.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by Innodon(m): 7:00am On Dec 19, 2014
So true.....Faculty dues, Departmental due, .....due due due.....Anambra state University is good at it.
Re: 5 Ways Nigerian Universities Defraud Students by EddyNumerouno(m): 7:00am On Dec 19, 2014
I still dont think i can understand acceptance fees in the next 20 years

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: / Adamu: I Failed As A Minister For Not Solving Challenges In Educational Sector / Dangote, Obaseki, Others At AAU Convocation Ceremony (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.