Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? (57905 Views)

Is It Possible For A Hiv Positive Man Not To Pass It To His Wife? / Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS / Please Explain Genotype AA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by zanga420: 11:59pm On Jun 26, 2015
Henrypraise:
My friend n his wife av dis same issue, husband is AS, wife is AA, daughter is SS, at least dats d report de told me de had from abt 4 hospital.

Just dis evenin, I was in a conversation wit a lady hu said her daughters crisis started wen she started menstruation n so many hospital diagnosed d daughter SS whereas she is AA n her husband AA, she struggled wit d crisis on n off till abt sum years ago wen de were referred to Oghara teachinh hospital in delta state n it was discovered d girl was not SS but lacked d white blood cells, neccessary tins were don n kip doin n d daughter is still very healthy 5years n countin, she will be bak from service soonest accordin to d mom.

Don't listen to pple sayin stuff abt u bein adopted pls, ur parents ar already passin tru a lot don't make dem feel worse. Only pray 4 healin n be a gud daughter.
the solution is in technical enabled laboratries that can detect these differences like AC, SC n mutations. These lord luggard labs that cant pick out technicalities mostly generalize results then the confusion continues. Thanks. cc: leem4

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by bettercreature(m): 12:14am On Jun 27, 2015
@ Leem4 being SC is very dangerious and most of them are unexplained its just like a junior sister to SS
You will be feeling deadly plains occasionally pls dont take ibuprofen for it,always go to the best hospital
be very worry of your self when you are between the age of 25 and 30 years because you will need blood transfusion
i have a very bad experience from this SC of a thing,i lost a beautiful sister to it,she was very healthy and even stronger than all of us but always suffering from painful legs and arms once or twice in a month
its a long story
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by abiola708(m): 12:15am On Jun 27, 2015
ChelseaDr:

SC exists... it is a variant of sickle cell disease just like sickle cell anaemia (SS) anx thalasaemias... people with SC are less prone to crises unlike SS genotype

OP if your mum is AA dad AS they can only produce AA and AS in equall proportions (50%) and not SC (you). this can only happen if your dad were to be AC which is the most likely scenerio considering that fact that many labs cannot be trusted with such technical interpretation....my advice is go to a teaching hospital with your parents and end it there.....best of luck bro
whant ti know if an hbsc patient can go in to scuba diving or underwater welding?
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by dedugbaa(m): 12:17am On Jun 27, 2015
Jabodo:

Pleeaaasee is it possible for One's genotype to change!
Four years ago, I did a test at Unilag Medical center and I was AA but a few months ago I did another test And the result was AS.
What have I been doing wrong?
It is not possible for one's genotype to change Scientifically.it is most a result of shabby laboratory procedure either in previous lab or the last lab you did the test.That is why if you are not too sure or convinced go for test in another reputable centre. Scientifically Genotype don't change.
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by bettercreature(m): 12:22am On Jun 27, 2015
abiola708:
whant ti know if an hbsc patient can go in to scuba diving or underwater welding?
They are not patient,they are stronger than any other groups,they could do anything and they dont often fall sick like other groups
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by pekelepekele(m): 12:25am On Jun 27, 2015
ejihand1:

Hahahaha. This is science my dear. Is either the mistake is from the diagnostic centre or something. Anyway, you could make a good comedian. Thanks for making me laf for a long while now
grin grin
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by autofreak2020(m): 6:04am On Jun 27, 2015
Leem4:
PLS READ TRU AGAIN my mum is AA, AND I AM SC, AND DAD IS AS. SO I HAVE MY DAD S GENE, WHERE DID THE C IN MY GEN COME FROM

Please go for DNA test without their knowledge, use your mum and dad's hair or nail for DNA probe. this will help solve the mystery to reasonable extent.
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by mekybabe1: 6:38am On Jun 27, 2015
Abeg which one is AC and SC? Never heard of it. It's AS and SS. Don't believe your story.
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by dBard: 6:52am On Jun 27, 2015
Leem4:
[b]i was born in the mid 90s. At birth i am a very healthy child according to my mum and relatives. My mum said, she can count the number's of time she took to the hospital.

It all started, when i am six years old, i started having crises. Majorly rheumatic pains in my body.
When these become convesant, our doctor told my, parent to carry out genotype test on me. As per the result of the test, i am SC. Since i am young, i dont have the knowlegde nor understanding about these.

Some month ago, a program is being aired in regards to advice to youth, base on genotype.
Then i voiced out to my parent, that as an literate , WHY did they get married to each other when they knew they will give bith to SS. WHY did they give birth to me to make me suffer. WHY do i have to live my life like these always, (they dont allow me to get involve in many activities ). As the conversation ensued, my mum said, during her time, the awareness level is low, and people dont even mind it.

Six years ago, for rougly two years, i didnt go the hospital, talkless of having crises. Am very healthy, but since last year, the crises and many health issue erupt again.

We relocated, then we changed our hospital, the doc the said my parents and i should go for genotype test and blood group test.
THIS is where the problem lie's, my mum is AA and my dad is AC. Regarding to the bloog group test, all of us are A+. With my little, knowledge, about genetics, if AA and AC is cross breed, they will give rise to AA AC AA AA. And they are both A+ they will give birth to A+. When i showed my mum these mistake, he told my dad, then we went to another hospital to retake the test which is still the same.
Now my question is this possible,? Is there any scientific backing about these, or are the not my parent, but i have physical resemblance to my dad.
Please i need your answer's
[/b]

If your dad's AS, then it might be a typical, common laboratory error.
In the electrophoresis test, due to the proximity of the A's and C lines, sometimes d uncommon C is read as an A.
My advice, find out from Ur mom if she used to have mild and occasional forms of ur crises and wen..(ac traits), you might also need to do a more expensive confirmatory test (e.g, d chromatography test..full name escapes me).
Might not necessarily be wat peeps are saying here..be rest assured of that.
All the best..
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by chudinho: 7:54am On Jun 27, 2015
adamshuaib:
First Page tinzz

its SS not SC
Its AA or AS or SS
Noo SC, it doesn't exist
SS can only be given birth by AS + AS soo both ur parents had to be AS to get u

You are damn wrong. SC exist. You have old school medical knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by rafcrown(m): 7:57am On Jun 27, 2015
DNA TO THE RESCUE.
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by Fourwinds: 8:07am On Jun 27, 2015
Conspiracy at work
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by scachy(m): 8:25am On Jun 27, 2015
dmola:

Well saidbruv,I think I agree with u
You are welcome
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by Nobody: 8:45am On Jun 27, 2015
Scientifically, it is called MUTATION. So it is very possible but its just a rare case.

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by Joe4real701(m): 8:50am On Jun 27, 2015
Ask ur doctor cool
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by GuiltySpark343(m): 9:00am On Jun 27, 2015
op everything about your post is wrong,there is nothing like sc,which makes this a super story.but if you have "sc" go for bone marrow transplant to become AA
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by stepone(m): 9:37am On Jun 27, 2015
adamshuaib:
First Page tinzz

its SS not SC
Its AA or AS or SS
Noo SC, it doesn't exist

always get you facts

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by excellentmomma(f): 9:43am On Jun 27, 2015
Leem4:
PLS READ TRU AGAIN my mum is AA, AND I AM SC, AND DAD IS AS. SO I HAVE MY DAD S GENE, WHERE DID THE C IN MY GEN COME FROM

Go for a DNA test with both parents to confirm, if the tests confirm either or both are not your parents, don't be angry at least they love and care for you, it's just to satisfy your curiosity that's all.
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by CarewAye(m): 10:04am On Jun 27, 2015
Leem4:
[b]i was born in the mid 90s. At birth i am a very healthy child according to my mum and relatives. My mum said, she can count the number's of time she took to the hospital.

It all started, when i am six years old, i started having crises. Majorly rheumatic pains in my body.
When these become convesant, our doctor told my, parent to carry out genotype test on me. As per the result of the test, i am SC. Since i am young, i dont have the knowlegde nor understanding about these.

Some month ago, a program is being aired in regards to advice to youth, base on genotype.
Then i voiced out to my parent, that as an literate , WHY did they get married to each other when they knew they will give bith to SS. WHY did they give birth to me to make me suffer. WHY do i have to live my life like these always, (they dont allow me to get involve in many activities ). As the conversation ensued, my mum said, during her time, the awareness level is low, and people dont even mind it.

Six years ago, for rougly two years, i didnt go the hospital, talkless of having crises. Am very healthy, but since last year, the crises and many health issue erupt again.

We relocated, then we changed our hospital, the doc the said my parents and i should go for genotype test and blood group test.
THIS is where the problem lie's, my mum is AA and my dad is AC. Regarding to the bloog group test, all of us are A+. With my little, knowledge, about genetics, if AA and AC is cross breed, they will give rise to AA AC AA AA. And they are both A+ they will give birth to A+. When i showed my mum these mistake, he told my dad, then we went to another hospital to retake the test which is still the same.
Now my question is this possible,? Is there any scientific backing about these, or are the not my parent, but i have physical resemblance to my dad.
Please i need your answer's
[/b]

Hemoglobin SC disease is the second most common type of sickle cell disease. It occurs when you inherit the Hb C gene from one parent and the Hb S gene from the other. Individuals with Hb SC have similar symptoms to individuals with Hb SS. However, the anemia is less severe.
Heterozygous means inheriting dissimilar genes from parents irrespective of whether one of the pair is normal or not i.e. AS, SC, CD, SO.

Possibilities are;
1. The test done at the labs are faulty, which i doubt
2. Your dad is Ac and your mum should be AS not AA
3. Baby swapping at birth, if your parents happen to be AA and AC as you stated.
4. Your mum was pregnant but maybe the baby was stillbirth and had to cover up by buying a baby secretly
and lots of other possibilities.

Get their hair or nail and go run a test in a very reliable lab without them knowing. If the same result, then one of the above listed possibilities and lots more which can't be stated might be what happened.
Talk to your mum well, she definitely knows what happened, when it happened, where it happened and how it happened.

I feel your pain. May God strengthen you...Ameen!
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 27, 2015
Malawian:

stop this ignorance. what can you say about twins where one is AA and the other is SS ? even as both are from parents with AA?
most of you guys stopped at "mordern biology" knowledge of genetics.
Mr. Modern biology, sometimes I wonder why people like to complicate issues. The normal thing if AA marries another AA is that they will have AA children. You are just stating exception to the rule and this is extremely rare ok? So stop complicating issues and stick to the normal rules. Have a nice day bro!
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by Jabodo(m): 11:10am On Jun 27, 2015
marciano3d:

Get a second test done. One of the is an error. Ur genotype can never change

It is part of ur body's blue print.

thanks for the info!
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by darlenese(f): 1:46pm On Jun 27, 2015
Why not try a DNA test.
Remember baby factories started in the 90"s
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by darlenese(f): 1:49pm On Jun 27, 2015
U mightbbe an IVF baby lipsrsealed

#confused
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by dantori(m): 2:20pm On Jun 27, 2015
MummyEsther:
Please forgive me first for what im about to say but it might be correct.

Your dad must have had you from a woman who had SC. I'm sorry its quite harsh to conclude it like this but that's the only medical explanation. Your mom must have taken you from your biological mom. it probably was an arrangement btw your mom and dad. Did they tell you they waited for a few years without a child before they had you?
I'm on the ttc forum where i saw your post, so I know such can happen especially if your dad was fertile and mom was not. As at that time they had you.

It could also be that they adopted you. Only DNA can prove all your doubts..

All you should worry about is your health and how to live long, don't press on them too much if they refuse to tell you. What trying to conceive women face in their homes and environment is enough to kill a woman psychologically.

Guy you nailed it spot on I was about telling her same....you've said what it is
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by jackpot(f): 2:21pm On Jun 27, 2015
Leem4:

i kno i should expect any scenario, but i have an elder brother who is AA, and a younger sis, who is AS.
Is dere no scientific prove regarding dis.
Then, the only possibility that takes care of all cases is
MUM= AS
DAD= AC
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by Adeyosola1234: 3:09pm On Jun 27, 2015
adamshuaib:
First Page tinzz

its SS not SC
Its AA or AS or SS
Noo SC, it doesn't exist
SC and AC exist. I am AC myself and my test was done in Nigeria which I did not believe, because that was my first time of hearing such. My second test was done in the UK and said the same thing. They exist but not common.

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by Leem4: 3:55pm On Jun 27, 2015
Pope22:

Don't get confused by all these people talking one thing or the other here, that is nairaland for you; most of them don't know when someone is serious.

Let me tell you something, there is something they call "mutation", its a kind of variation or alteration in the genotype of the offsprings. Normally, parents with AA and AA genotype will never have an offspring with AS but if mutation occurs, there is alteration and they will have an offspring with AS genotype, atleast one. Likewise parents with AA and AS like your parents are supposed to have offsprings with AA and AS gentypes but if mutation occurs, one of you is likely to have SS and its unfoortunate you happen to be the one that the mutation occured, so they are your parents and dont feel bad. You can get married to a guy with AA and have AS offsprings and you live your normal like. I am AA and I can get married to any lady regardless of her genotype so long there is love.

Mutation is always rare but it happens sometimes, so don't listen to these people. Goodluck.
thanks bro
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by jackpot(f): 4:42pm On Jun 27, 2015
adamshuaib:
First Page tinzz

its SS not SC
Its AA or AS or SS
Noo SC, it doesn't exist
There is SC genotype
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by Drsmiles(m): 5:59pm On Jun 27, 2015
Immarocks:

please enlighten us....I've never heard of SC genotype b4....
Sorry this is coming late
Among the 'abnormal' genotype s of the haemoglobin protein there very many of them
But the two most particular common ones are the S and C
people may inherit this abnormal haemoglobin genotypes as AS SS or SC
This gives their red blood cells propensity to become sickle shaped thus clogging blood vessels and they thus have vasooclusive crisis and other forms of crises ..anaemic crises if these red cells are lysed by the immune system
The SC genotype isn't exactly same as SS and they have fewer frequency of crises and generally fares better
Detailed explanation should be given to you if u want or if u visit a sickle cell counseling clinic anywhere in the country grin
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by ChelseaDr(m): 3:57pm On Jun 28, 2015
abiola708:
Hi abiola708 ..U want to know id a HbSC client can go for scuba diving....
first of all scuba diving is a form of underwater diving in which a diver uses a self-contained breathing apparatus known as scuba to breathe underwater

HbSC are also at risk of crises just like those with HbSS (sicklers) but unlike HbSS HbSC has less attacks and the same factors can precipitate the attack such as infections (e.g malaria), extremes of temperatures, STRESS, low oxygen tension, high presures etc..

Scuba diving is associated with exposures to very high presures under water and this is a form of stress on its own and capable of trigerring crisis...

the injuries apart from just ordinary crises can be as dangerous as rupturing tge lungs. these injuries are known as barotraumas i.e trauma due to excessive pressure

scuba divers arw also prone to a condition known as nitrogen narcosis i.e excess nitrogen in the blood and low oxygen releading to transient hallucination and alcohol-like disorientation while in depth below 20m.. but this reversed during ascent as the diver may not have even noticed what had happend.

So my advise is if you are HvSC you can avoid scuba diving more so because a study done in Japn in 2000 showed that evry hour of diving is 36-62 times riskier than automobile driving.....
or engage on them less frequently being mindful of your depth under water...

Reference: Is Recreational driving safe? Por Ikeda, TY Ashida et al
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by rezzy: 3:01am On Jun 29, 2015
adamshuaib:
First Page tinzz

its SS not SC
Its AA or AS or SS
Noo SC, it doesn't exist

Says who?

A friend of mine is AC. SC, AS, AC exist
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by wurnoahmad(m): 3:45pm On Jun 30, 2015
Anything can happen but guy just forget that test result jare and love your parent.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"How Painful Coronavirus Testing Is" - Woman Shares Video / How Do I Take Care Of My Penis To Ensure High Libido And Strong Erections? / Before And After Pictures Of Woman Who Got Pregnant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.