Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,125 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? (57909 Views)

Is It Possible For A Hiv Positive Man Not To Pass It To His Wife? / Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS / Please Explain Genotype AA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by Jabodo(m): 8:06pm On Jun 26, 2015
dedugbaa:
In genetic there is what is called exclusion since the genotype of mother is not similar by any allele it mean they are not directly related biologically I.e not the mother,it also means that there is a possibilty of the the man is her father cos of similarity in allele C. I graduated as the best student in my department. CBG unilag will give you proper information.I have said contact DR taiwo or DR minari or DR Adekoya.they will give the girl a professional advice.If I should explain further you may not understand due to limited space.Mutation occurs but it is extremely rare.it happened thousands of years ago during evolution.Pls seek professional opinion.If you need further clarification am posting my number here for a short while call me tell me educate you properly. 08060342897.

Pleeaaasee is it possible for One's genotype to change!
Four years ago, I did a test at Unilag Medical center and I was AA but a few months ago I did another test And the result was AS.
What have I been doing wrong?
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by ChelseaDr(m): 8:11pm On Jun 26, 2015
adamshuaib:
First Page tinzz

its SS not SC
Its AA or AS or SS
Noo SC, it doesn't exist
SS can only be given birth by AS + AS soo both ur parents had to be AS to get u

SC exists... it is a variant of sickle cell disease just like sickle cell anaemia (SS) anx thalasaemias... people with SC are less prone to crises unlike SS genotype

OP if your mum is AA dad AS they can only produce AA and AS in equall proportions (50%) and not SC (you). this can only happen if your dad were to be AC which is the most likely scenerio considering that fact that many labs cannot be trusted with such technical interpretation....my advice is go to a teaching hospital with your parents and end it there.....best of luck bro
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by raziboi(m): 8:23pm On Jun 26, 2015
just like a revelation .....mayb ur real parents were AS ....u wia switched ....
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jun 26, 2015
alabiyemmy:
oNLY YOUR mUM CAN ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.
very true fact... the op should read up a work done by Aristotle about breeding ( pdf).
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by abbey621(m): 8:41pm On Jun 26, 2015
dagbokoncept:
The only valid scientific argument relevant to your case is MUTATION . Mutants are individuals which possess morphological attributes which are different from the rest of the natural populations(same specie). Mutations occur as a result of change in chromosome structure(alteration of the DNA sequence). It is a tool of evolution and positive mutations are rear. But as regards blood genotype, I don't think it mutations could change genotype. Something must have went wrong, there are other tests you could carried for confirmation.
When ever you have a crisis, what kind of treatment do you receive? Does it has to do with blood transfusion+

While I agree with you about genetic mutation, I have to disagree with you that mutation is the only possible explanation. Human error might have a huge role to play in this scenario, I would suggest the OP get a second, third and even fourth opinion from bigger labs.
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by lat55(f): 8:44pm On Jun 26, 2015
Contrary to public opinion, I doubt there was foul play on the side of your parents. My reasons are, if your parents knew they were not clean, they won't follow you to get tested twice esp after the first result.
It's most likely that you were switched at birth, you have to calmly investigate the matter. It's important you stay calm so you can make smart decisions.
All the best hun
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by bukhety(f): 8:50pm On Jun 26, 2015
I've seen a situation where someone had always thought she was AA, only to do the genotype test as part of medical requirement at the Uni, and to be told she was AC. She went home to discuss this wit her family (because they are all confirmed AA), only for her sis to narrate the same experience at work, that a new test shows she is AC and nt AA as they previously thought. The only logical conclusion I can see in this situation is that perhaps the mum is AC and the dad is AS. That might explain hw they beget SC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jun 26, 2015
Very possible your mum is Ac.you Ve to double check the result.and u pick the SC.

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by kalebsky: 8:58pm On Jun 26, 2015
Leem4:
[b]i was born in the mid 90s. At birth i am a very healthy child according to my mum and relatives. My mum said, she can count the number's of time she took to the hospital.

It all started, when i am six years old, i started having crises. Majorly rheumatic pains in my body.
When these become convesant, our doctor told my, parent to carry out genotype test on me. As per the result of the test, i am SC. Since i am young, i dont have the knowlegde nor understanding about these.

Some month ago, a program is being aired in regards to advice to youth, base on genotype.
Then i voiced out to my parent, that as an literate , WHY did they get married to each other when they knew they will give bith to SS. WHY did they give birth to me to make me suffer. WHY do i have to live my life like these always, (they dont allow me to get involve in many activities ). As the conversation ensued, my mum said, during her time, the awareness level is low, and people dont even mind it.

Six years ago, for rougly two years, i didnt go the hospital, talkless of having crises. Am very healthy, but since last year, the crises and many health issue erupt again.

We relocated, then we changed our hospital, the doc the said my parents and i should go for genotype test and blood group test.
THIS is where the problem lie's, my mum is AA and my dad is AC. Regarding to the bloog group test, all of us are A+. With my little, knowledge, about genetics, if AA and AC is cross breed, they will give rise to AA AC AA AA. And they are both A+ they will give birth to A+. When i showed my mum these mistake, he told my dad, then we went to another hospital to retake the test which is still the same.
Now my question is this possible,? Is there any scientific backing about these, or are the not my parent, but i have physical resemblance to my dad.
Please i need your answer's
[/b]

The hemoglobin (Hb) SC genotype is seen in persons who have inherited the gene for hemoglobin S from one parent and the gene for hemoglobin C from the other. Some people with this genotype develop Hb SC disease, a variant of sickle cell disease. Hb SC disease, a compound heterozygous condition, is the most common of the hemoglobinopathies and the least severe, although it is still serious.

I also have a nephew who is SC genotype... don't listen to people who are not scientific inclined that their might be conspiracy
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by kalebsky: 9:02pm On Jun 26, 2015
UR mum should be AC... she should go to well defined modernized laboratories and not 19th centuries Laboratory that still thinks we have only 3 genotype group...
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by marciano3d: 9:15pm On Jun 26, 2015
adamshuaib:
First Page tinzz

its SS not SC
Its AA or AS or SS
Noo SC, it doesn't exist
SS can only be given birth by AS + AS soo both ur parents had to be AS to get u

Oga there is SC , I'm AC

I even read that there is AD and there will be more mutations allowing possibilities like AE AF AG AH AI

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by aaidel(m): 9:17pm On Jun 26, 2015
simply put the woman is not your mother

for you to be SC you have to inherit one of each from each parent your father is AS so thats where you got the S from

the C must be from somewhere and since your mum is AA there is no way it came from her repeat the test a third time and confront your dad possibly in the absence of your mum

IMHO though parents are those who raised you and love you not those who you share biological traits with
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by marciano3d: 9:19pm On Jun 26, 2015
Jabodo:

Pleeaaasee is it possible for One's genotype to change!
Four years ago, I did a test at Unilag Medical center and I was AA but a few months ago I did another test And the result was AS.
What have I been doing wrong?

Get a second test done. One of the is an error. Ur genotype can never change

It is part of ur body's blue print.
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by aimeeworship: 9:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
@Leem4
It is possible to be SC when your mum is AA and your dad AC. Most electrophoretic genotype machines used in routine laboratory only ascertain the A, S, C and rarely F bands based on the quality of the band. There are different sub-types: adult haemoglobin (Hb A), minor adult haemoglobin (Hb A2), sickle haemoglobin ( Hb S or C caused by a variant of the beta -globin gene) and foetal haemoglobin (Hb F is usually present in foetus and remains up to 6 months after birth).

Hb S or C are the mutated form which reduces the normal plasticity of host erythrocytes (red blood cell) causing hemoglobinopathy (abnormality in the blood). Patients with Hb SS and Hb SC give similar clinical presentation.

Using the HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography) machine (mostly seen in research labs) gives the genotype result based on quantity mostly indicated in percentage. Every individual having either Hb AA, AS, AC, SS and SC have other subgroups but in minor percentage.

For example,
Mum: may have Hb A as 41%, Hb A2 as 30%, Hb C as 18%, Hb S as 10% and Hb F as 1%. The two Hb with the highest percentage value is taken as the genotype = HbAA

Dad: may have Hb A as 37%, Hb C as 31%, Hb S as 25%, Hb A2 as 5% and Hb A2as 2%. The two Hb with the highest percentage value is taken as the genotype = HbAC

You: The genetic combination at which your genotype is random (I think God alone knows the perfect combination) but it revolves within these percentages written above for both the father and mother. You may have Hb S as 34%, Hb C as 30%, Hb A as 24%, Hb A2 as 11% and Hb F as 1%. The two Hb with the highest percentage value is taken as the genotype = Hb SC

With this illustration, you could have the other Hb variables but in minimal amount. Regular laboratory tests will not give this details. Any need for HPLC tests, I can ... . ?

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by YEM101: 9:22pm On Jun 26, 2015
Pls do a DNA test to be sure they re ur real parents.
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by marciano3d: 9:34pm On Jun 26, 2015
K
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by marciano3d: 9:34pm On Jun 26, 2015
dagbokoncept:
The only valid scientific argument relevant to your case is MUTATION . Mutants are individuals which possess morphological attributes which are different from the rest of the natural populations(same specie). Mutations occur as a result of change in chromosome structure(alteration of the DNA sequence). It is a tool of evolution and positive mutations are rear. But as regards blood genotype, I don't think it mutations could change genotype. Something must have went wrong, there are other tests you could carried for confirmation.
When ever you have a crisis, what kind of treatment do you receive? Does it has to do with blood transfusion+

According to what I read AS exist as West African's red blood cells had to mutate to combat malaria
so there are now AC and AD which have to start 4rm someone

I'm AC, my mom told me since I was a kid and all d labs ive used comfirm it,

So if mutation doesn't work where did AC come from

The malaria theor seems to be true because an AA friend that was hospitalised 4 malaria and we jointly did lab test 4 malaria, we had d same Asterix 4 presence of malaria parasite in our blood whereas he was d only one dat showed symptoms.
She fit be MUTANT

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by bowei(m): 9:44pm On Jun 26, 2015
Very possible mutation just occurred

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by ridgeman: 9:53pm On Jun 26, 2015
Get a proper test done in a proper lab for your parents and siblings. Hopefully this time the results make sense. if not then it's possible a switch happened at birth or your folks adopted you. I'd the latter then the may know who your real parents are either way from what you've said they care for you very dearly at least you haven't shared any negative experiences. Goodluck I hope you find peace
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by cahnellven: 10:09pm On Jun 26, 2015
Got this from Facebook

The AS AC SC SS and CC genotype.
What you have in your blood are cells, the most
predominant of which are called RED BLOOD CELLS (RBCs).
These cells contain within them HEMOGLOBIN, a substance
without which the RBCs are invariably useless.
This hemoglobin itself is composed of 2 parts: a heme
(don't bother yourself, this basically is a complex Iron-
protein complex) and globin (2 pairs of protein chains, this
is the important part).
There are 2 alpha and 2 beta globin chains - the pair, and
there is a normal way the chains are supposed to be
structured.
The error happens when a protein substitution occurs in any
one of these chains - but particularly in the globin chains
(First of all, you have to understand that amino acids are the
building blocks of proteins - so if amino acid 'x' is the
normal, an abnormality occurs when instead of 'x' at a
particular location along the chain, you have 'y'.)
That is as simple as it gets. These errors of substitution are
given the big name of 'THALASSAEMIAS'. In reality, a
substitution will occur at any point along either the alpha or
beta chains but for the purposes of simplicity and to answer
your question, we focus on the genotypes AS, SS, AC.
Genotype AA: At position 6 of both globin chains,the amino
acid is GLUTAMATE
Genotype AS: At position 6 of one globin chain is
GLUTAMATE and at position 6 of the second globin chain,
you have VALINE
Genotype SS: At position 6 of both globin chains, the amino
acid is VALINE
Genotype AC: At position 6 of one globin chain is
you have LYSINE
There are different types of Hemoglobin; among them are
Hemoglobin A, Hemoglobin S and Hemoglobin C.
Hemoglobin C is very rare.
Everyone must have a pair of these hemoglobin in their
blood, each inherited from both parents.
The pairing might be in any of the following formations: AA,
AS, AC, SC,SS OR CC.
A man with AA can marry anyone without any problem
(medically); likewise the woman.
How do people get their genotypes?
Simple, from your biological parents.
If papa bomboy has a genotype AA and mama bomboy has
a genotype AS, which genotype do their children have?
What we do in theory is this, you cross each of those letters
so that you have AA, AS, AA, AS? Therefore, for each
pregnancy and each bomboy they delivery has a 50:50
probability of being AA or AS.
What if their genotypes were AA (for papa bomboy) and SS
(for mama bomboy); you do the crossing again: AS, AS, AS,
AS. Therefore, it is very UNLIKELY that any of their children
will have a genotype outside of AS.
You will see that I have used the word unlikely because poo
happens. They might end up having a child who is either
completely AA or SS but whatever happens, a child's
genotype is never outside of the parents. Eg. a man and
woman who are both AA can never have children with
genotype starting or ending with 'S'. If it happens, either
your landlord or next door neighbours are highly involved
(just kiddin Oluwa isn't involved').
So for you to get C, you must have a parent who carries a
'C' in his or her genotype.
Likewise the S must have a parent with S genotype
One more thing: Are there any clinical features of
Hemoglobin C like Hemoglobin S?
In the case that you're AC, well the good news is that MOST
TIMES THERE ARE NO SYMPTOMS, but occasionally, there
is JAUNDICE.
THE BEST PART IS THAT YOU CAN LIVE A NORMAL LIFE
WITH AC!!!
And just for the case of mentioning genotypes, you could
have:
Regular Genotype: AA (healthy as healthy can be)
Traits: AC, AD, AF, AG, A+FAST, AE and AS (not associated
with any clinical signs, symptoms or syndromes - they as
relatively as healthy as AA)
Genotypes associated with clinical features: SS, SC, CC (are
associated with clinical signs, symptoms and syndromes)
•Please note that the marriage thing is this, we really don't
know what the recent trend is but the important thing is to
make sure your genotype of you and your partner don't
match up in a way as to produce an children with SS, SC
and CC.
These children only suffer for nothing!!!
You can't even begin to compare the differences in severity
between CC and SS disease,
Symptoms of Hemoglobin C dsx (CC)
Most people do not have symptoms. Occasionally, jaundice
may occur.
Complications of Hemoglobin C dsx
Sometimes, they may experience the following:
Cholelithiasis (gall stones that may require treatment)
Splenomegaly (big spleen)
Angloid streaks (causing poor vision)
Aplastic crises (due to viral infection): episode of severe
anemia
Treatment
There is no treatment. Folic acid supplementation is
required to help the body with red blood cell production and
improve symptoms of anemia.
Prognosis
Note that unlike the Hemoglobin S dsx (SS), pxts with
Hemoglobin C dsx have a normal life expectancy,
Before we forget, what about SC genotype?
Please note the following:
AA: normal pxts
AS: don't show any symptoms
SS: sickle cell disease (sicklers)
AC: don't show any symptoms
CC: described above
SC? This condition is associated with recurrent anemia
(breakdown of red cells in the blood vessels) and pain crises
(vaso-occlusive crises). Some may also experience aseptic
necrosis of the thigh bone (femur).
Summary is that it is bad,
One thing you must understand is that in terms of
geographic distribution, the hemoglobin C allele is found at
the highest frequencies in West Africa and it has been
associated with protection against malaria.
A good number of people have the C allele but are unaware
of it.
Also note that most people with the AC genotype show no
symptoms,
PLEASE NOTE THIS AND HELP SHARE WITH A FRIENd
A man or woman with AS or AC or SS or SC or CC (very rare)
cannot marry each other, if they want to avoid SS or SC.
They must marry a partner with AA, if they don't want to
born a child with Sickle call syndrome.
If AS or AC marry each other, they have 25% chance of
having a sickle child at every birth. If they marry SS or SC,
they have 50% chance of having a sickle cell child at every
birth.
Please note all their kids could be AS AC or AA.
If SS or SC marry each other, it's is nothing other than a
terrible disaster.
All their children will have Sickle cell
SC and SS are almost the same only that SS suffers more
severe crisis than SC carrier. You might not notice the
presence of the disease on the body of SC carrier, unlike in
SS.
Solution
The only thing that can change the genotype is an
intentional act like BMT.
Bone Marrow transplant technology has been proven to be
the only permanent cure to SS SC and CC; however, it is
new and very expensive.
Naturally, environment or time cannot change genotype.
Please Note: Divine Miracles can change it as well - it has
happened in so many part of the world.
Again, some SS carriers may start experiencing crisis at late
age (as late as 40s).
If these sets of people go for test in a quack lab, definitely
the lab technician will assume AA or AS since the person is
not having the symptom.
Later in life it will become obvious when the symptom have
come up, and another lab technician will report SS.
Shared on twitter via @LAUMSA
To all unmarried folks, please know your genotype and that
of your spouse.
Only people with AA genotype can marry people of other
blood groups AC AS SC SS or CC without any medical
complication.

It is possible they are both your parents by assuming your mum is AC but was mistaken for AA.
Your mum has to carry hemoglobin C, since you presumably inherit S from your dad.
Since your brother is AA, and your sister is AS, this makes complete sense

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by yungpowers(m): 10:32pm On Jun 26, 2015
My friend is asking for the meaning of the word child adoption. Help please!
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by SaniSANOH(m): 10:55pm On Jun 26, 2015
Leem4:
[b]i was born in the mid 90s. At birth i am a very healthy child according to my mum and relatives. My mum said, she can count the number's of time she took to the hospital.

It all started, when i am six years old, i started having crises. Majorly rheumatic pains in my body.
When these become convesant, our doctor told my, parent to carry out genotype test on me. As per the result of the test, i am SC. Since i am young, i dont have the knowlegde nor understanding about these.

Some month ago, a program is being aired in regards to advice to youth, base on genotype.
Then i voiced out to my parent, that as an literate , WHY did they get married to each other when they knew they will give bith to SS. WHY did they give birth to me to make me suffer. WHY do i have to live my life like these always, (they dont allow me to get involve in many activities ). As the conversation ensued, my mum said, during her time, the awareness level is low, and people dont even mind it.

Six years ago, for rougly two years, i didnt go the hospital, talkless of having crises. Am very healthy, but since last year, the crises and many health issue erupt again.

We relocated, then we changed our hospital, the doc the said my parents and i should go for genotype test and blood group test.
THIS is where the problem lie's, my mum is AA and my dad is AC. Regarding to the bloog group test, all of us are A+. With my little, knowledge, about genetics, if AA and AC is cross breed, they will give rise to AA AC AA AA. And they are both A+ they will give birth to A+. When i showed my mum these mistake, he told my dad, then we went to another hospital to retake the test which is still the same.
Now my question is this possible,? Is there any scientific backing about these, or are the not my parent, but i have physical resemblance to my dad.
Please i need your answer's
[/b]

A friend of mine study genetic engineering he could have give us answer to ur inquiry but I couldn't reach him may be this image of Genotype and donor's can add to ur inquiry and any other person in need

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by Henrypraise: 11:02pm On Jun 26, 2015
My friend n his wife av dis same issue, husband is AS, wife is AA, daughter is SS, at least dats d report de told me de had from abt 4 hospital.

Just dis evenin, I was in a conversation wit a lady hu said her daughters crisis started wen she started menstruation n so many hospital diagnosed d daughter SS whereas she is AA n her husband AA, she struggled wit d crisis on n off till abt sum years ago wen de were referred to Oghara teachinh hospital in delta state n it was discovered d girl was not SS but lacked d white blood cells, neccessary tins were don n kip doin n d daughter is still very healthy 5years n countin, she will be bak from service soonest accordin to d mom.

Don't listen to pple sayin stuff abt u bein adopted pls, ur parents ar already passin tru a lot don't make dem feel worse. Only pray 4 healin n be a gud daughter.
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by pbs4real(m): 11:15pm On Jun 26, 2015
Draify pls would you help us shed more light on this issue. . . .tnx
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by abiola708(m): 11:20pm On Jun 26, 2015
cahnellven:
Got this from Facebook

The AS AC SC SS and CC genotype.
What you have in your blood are cells, the most
predominant of which are called RED BLOOD CELLS (RBCs).
These cells contain within them HEMOGLOBIN, a substance
without which the RBCs are invariably useless.
This hemoglobin itself is composed of 2 parts: a heme
(don't bother yourself, this basically is a complex Iron-
protein complex) and globin (2 pairs of protein chains, this
is the important part).
There are 2 alpha and 2 beta globin chains - the pair, and
there is a normal way the chains are supposed to be
structured.
The error happens when a protein substitution occurs in any
one of these chains - but particularly in the globin chains
(First of all, you have to understand that amino acids are the
building blocks of proteins - so if amino acid 'x' is the
normal, an abnormality occurs when instead of 'x' at a
particular location along the chain, you have 'y'.)
That is as simple as it gets. These errors of substitution are
given the big name of 'THALASSAEMIAS'. In reality, a
substitution will occur at any point along either the alpha or
beta chains but for the purposes of simplicity and to answer
your question, we focus on the genotypes AS, SS, AC.
Genotype AA: At position 6 of both globin chains,the amino
acid is GLUTAMATE
Genotype AS: At position 6 of one globin chain is
you have VALINE
Genotype SS: At position 6 of both globin chains, the amino
acid is VALINE
Genotype AC: At position 6 of one globin chain is
you have LYSINE
There are different types of Hemoglobin; among them are
Hemoglobin A, Hemoglobin S and Hemoglobin C.
Hemoglobin C is very rare.
Everyone must have a pair of these hemoglobin in their
blood, each inherited from both parents.
The pairing might be in any of the following formations: AA,
AS, AC, SC,SS OR CC.
A man with AA can marry anyone without any problem
(medically); likewise the woman.
How do people get their genotypes?
Simple, from your biological parents.
If papa bomboy has a genotype AA and mama bomboy has
a genotype AS, which genotype do their children have?
What we do in theory is this, you cross each of those letters
so that you have AA, AS, AA, AS? Therefore, for each
pregnancy and each bomboy they delivery has a 50:50
probability of being AA or AS.
What if their genotypes were AA (for papa bomboy) and SS
(for mama bomboy); you do the crossing again: AS, AS, AS,
AS. Therefore, it is very UNLIKELY that any of their children
will have a genotype outside of AS.
You will see that I have used the word unlikely because poo
happens. They might end up having a child who is either
completely AA or SS but whatever happens, a child's
genotype is never outside of the parents. Eg. a man and
woman who are both AA can never have children with
genotype starting or ending with 'S'. If it happens, either
your landlord or next door neighbours are highly involved
(just kiddin Oluwa isn't involved').
So for you to get C, you must have a parent who carries a
'C' in his or her genotype.
Likewise the S must have a parent with S genotype
One more thing: Are there any clinical features of
Hemoglobin C like Hemoglobin S?
In the case that you're AC, well the good news is that MOST
TIMES THERE ARE NO SYMPTOMS, but occasionally, there
is JAUNDICE.
THE BEST PART IS THAT YOU CAN LIVE A NORMAL LIFE
WITH AC!!!
And just for the case of mentioning genotypes, you could
have:
Regular Genotype: AA (healthy as healthy can be)
Traits: AC, AD, AF, AG, A+FAST, AE and AS (not associated
with any clinical signs, symptoms or syndromes - they as
relatively as healthy as AA)
Genotypes associated with clinical features: SS, SC, CC (are
associated with clinical signs, symptoms and syndromes)
•Please note that the marriage thing is this, we really don't
know what the recent trend is but the important thing is to
make sure your genotype of you and your partner don't
match up in a way as to produce an children with SS, SC
and CC.
These children only suffer for nothing!!!
You can't even begin to compare the differences in severity
between CC and SS disease,
Symptoms of Hemoglobin C dsx (CC)
Most people do not have symptoms. Occasionally, jaundice
may occur.
Complications of Hemoglobin C dsx
Sometimes, they may experience the following:
Cholelithiasis (gall stones that may require treatment)
Splenomegaly (big spleen)
Angloid streaks (causing poor vision)
Aplastic crises (due to viral infection): episode of severe
anemia
Treatment
There is no treatment. Folic acid supplementation is
required to help the body with red blood cell production and
improve symptoms of anemia.
Prognosis
Note that unlike the Hemoglobin S dsx (SS), pxts with
Hemoglobin C dsx have a normal life expectancy,
Before we forget, what about SC genotype?
Please note the following:
AA: normal pxts
AS: don't show any symptoms
SS: sickle cell disease (sicklers)
AC: don't show any symptoms
CC: described above
SC? This condition is associated with recurrent anemia
(breakdown of red cells in the blood vessels) and pain crises
(vaso-occlusive crises). Some may also experience aseptic
necrosis of the thigh bone (femur).
Summary is that it is bad,
One thing you must understand is that in terms of
geographic distribution, the hemoglobin C allele is found at
the highest frequencies in West Africa and it has been
associated with protection against malaria.
A good number of people have the C allele but are unaware
of it.
Also note that most people with the AC genotype show no
symptoms,
PLEASE NOTE THIS AND HELP SHARE WITH A FRIENd
A man or woman with AS or AC or SS or SC or CC (very rare)
cannot marry each other, if they want to avoid SS or SC.
They must marry a partner with AA, if they don't want to
born a child with Sickle call syndrome.
If AS or AC marry each other, they have 25% chance of
having a sickle child at every birth. If they marry SS or SC,
they have 50% chance of having a sickle cell child at every
birth.
Please note all their kids could be AS AC or AA.
If SS or SC marry each other, it's is nothing other than a
terrible disaster.
All their children will have Sickle cell
SC and SS are almost the same only that SS suffers more
severe crisis than SC carrier. You might not notice the
presence of the disease on the body of SC carrier, unlike in
SS.
Solution
The only thing that can change the genotype is an
intentional act like BMT.
Bone Marrow transplant technology has been proven to be
the only permanent cure to SS SC and CC; however, it is
new and very expensive.
Naturally, environment or time cannot change genotype.
Please Note: Divine Miracles can change it as well - it has
happened in so many part of the world.
Again, some SS carriers may start experiencing crisis at late
age (as late as 40s).
If these sets of people go for test in a quack lab, definitely
the lab technician will assume AA or AS since the person is
not having the symptom.
Later in life it will become obvious when the symptom have
come up, and another lab technician will report SS.
Shared on twitter via @LAUMSA
To all unmarried folks, please know your genotype and that
of your spouse.
Only people with AA genotype can marry people of other
blood groups AC AS SC SS or CC without any medical
complication.

It is possible they are both your parents by assuming your mum is AC but was mistaken for AA.
Your mum has to carry hemoglobin C, since you presumably inherit S from your dad.
Since your brother is AA, and your sister is AS, this makes complete sense
can . an sc patient go into diving
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by NobleG1(m): 11:22pm On Jun 26, 2015
[size=14pt]Genotype effect on marraige[/size].

If AA marries AA = AA babies

If AA marries AS = AA and AS babies

If AA marries SS = AA, AS and SS babies

If AS marries AS = AA, AS and SS babies

If AS marries SS = AS and SS babies

If SS marries SS = SS babies
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by ejihand1(m): 11:22pm On Jun 26, 2015
pekelepekele:
I know someone that his blood group changes from AA to SS when he turned 18. no joke...

spiritual attack can change your blood group.

if you like don't believe me , I will advise the OP to be closer to God.
Hahahaha. This is science my dear. Is either the mistake is from the diagnostic centre or something. Anyway, you could make a good comedian. Thanks for making me laf for a long while now
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by donefezy: 11:27pm On Jun 26, 2015
Malawian:
studied engineering, so yes i was a science student.
i taught as much..plz don't use ur secondary school knowledge on this
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by aimeeworship: 11:39pm On Jun 26, 2015
aimeeworship:
@Leem4
It is possible to be SC when your mum is AA and your dad AC. Most electrophoretic genotype machines used in routine laboratory only ascertain the A, S, C and rarely F bands based on the quality of the band. There are different sub-types: adult haemoglobin (Hb A), minor adult haemoglobin (Hb A2), sickle haemoglobin ( Hb S or C caused by a variant of the beta -globin gene) and foetal haemoglobin (Hb F is usually present in foetus and remains up to 6 months after birth).

Hb S or C are the mutated form which reduces the normal plasticity of host erythrocytes (red blood cell) causing hemoglobinopathy (abnormality in the blood). Patients with Hb SS and Hb SC give similar clinical presentation.

Using the HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography) machine (mostly seen in research labs) gives the genotype result based on quantity mostly indicated in percentage. Every individual having either Hb AA, AS, AC, SS and SC have other subgroups but in minor percentage.

For example,
Mum: may have Hb A as 41%, Hb A2 as 30%, Hb C as 18%, Hb S as 10% and Hb F as 1%. The two Hb with the highest percentage value is taken as the genotype = HbAA

Dad: may have Hb A as 37%, Hb C as 31%, Hb S as 25%, Hb A2 as 5% and Hb A2as 2%. The two Hb with the highest percentage value is taken as the genotype = HbAC

You: The genetic combination at which your genotype is random (I think God alone knows the perfect combination) but it revolves within these percentages written above for both the father and mother. You may have Hb S as 34%, Hb C as 30%, Hb A as 24%, Hb A2 as 11% and Hb F as 1%. The two Hb with the highest percentage value is taken as the genotype = Hb SC

With this illustration, you could have the other Hb variables but in minimal amount. Regular laboratory tests will not give this details. Any need for HPLC tests, I can ... . ?
Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by zanga420: 11:47pm On Jun 26, 2015
Leem4:
what is giving concern is dat my mum is AA not dad.
Assumming my mum is As and dad is AA, den something is wrong. But my MUM IS AA. Even if she is unfaithful dat A must appear in my gene
Abeg, ppl should take it easy in pointing accussing fingers to the woman which compounds her pains. Guess ur mum is AC not AA while dad is As, thats the likely scenario the makes u SC, worst still its a mutation. #bestrong

1 Like

Re: Is it Possible for a AA genotype to give birth to SC.. Are They My Parents? by zanga420: 11:49pm On Jun 26, 2015
bukhety:
I've seen a situation where someone had always thought she was AA, only to do the genotype test as part of medical requirement at the Uni, and to be told she was AC. She went home to discuss this wit her family (because they are all confirmed AA), only for her sis to narrate the same experience at work, that a new test shows she is AC and nt AA as they previously thought. The only logical conclusion I can see in this situation is that perhaps the mum is AC and the dad is AS. That might explain hw they beget SC.
logical n possible

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"How Painful Coronavirus Testing Is" - Woman Shares Video / Before And After Pictures Of Woman Who Got Pregnant / Flood ‘chases’ Corpses Out Of Mortuary In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.