Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,013 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) (10477 Views)

Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) / Dog Breeders List Your Dog Kennel Or Current Puppy Litter Here / Pls I Need A Dog, An Alsatian Pure German Shepherd Pedigree Female Puppy 4sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Soknown: 7:43pm On Jan 08, 2015
Ayorinde24:
Please what is the best way to remove Ticks from this dog. And what is the best Tick remover that is not poisonous to Dogs and the price,and where to get it
Let me share my experience with you. My first dog was a fine GSD which I named walker, he died of shampoo poisoning in November 2012. How did it happen ?- I discovered ticks on him and I went to the mall to buy this tick shampoo that contained fipronyl. I used it the first time and the dog started stooling, I used it again after 3 days and the dog could not eat, I called the Vet nearby, he suggested giving the dog DHL for parvo-virus though the dog was not due for the Vaccine. To cut the story, walker died. It was after his death that I realized he actually died of shampoo poisoning because the watery stool was not blood-stained( a classic sign of Parvo) and it started when I bathed him with that shampoo. Fast -forward to September 2014, my recent GSDs Skipper and Flier had tick after I walked Skipper along a particular path. I bought this same shampoo and Spot-on from the mall. I used the Shampoo for two consecutive weeks and I then apply the Spot-on liquid on their back, before you know it al them tick died out one by one. each time I used the shampoo on them I put palm oil in their mouth peradventure lick their body it the chemical would have little effect, a friend told me that you can use activated charcoal tablet but I have not tried it before.
Another thing I did was that I changed their location so that I could spray their cage, I used snipper mixed with Jik solution. I left the cage un-touched for 3 days then washed it thoroughly. before I put the dogs back in, I repeat the same to all other locations where I do chained them.
Mind you if you are not always around to observe your dog you can't follow this route. Hope this help in a way.

1 Like

Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Prodeegee(m): 2:38am On Jan 09, 2015
Soknown:

Let me share my experience with you. My first dog was a fine GSD which I named walker, he died of shampoo poisoning in November 2012. How did it happen ?- I discovered ticks on him and I went to the mall to buy this tick shampoo that contained fipronyl. I used it the first time and the dog started stooling, I used it again after 3 days and the dog could not eat, I called the Vet nearby, he suggested giving the dog DHL for parvo-virus though the dog was not due for the Vaccine. To cut the story, walker died. It was after his death that I realized he actually died of shampoo poisoning because the watery stool was not blood-stained( a classic sign of Parvo) and it started when I bathed him with that shampoo. Fast -forward to September 2014, my recent GSDs Skipper and Flier had tick after I walked Skipper along a particular path. I bought this same shampoo and Spot-on from the mall. I used the Shampoo for two consecutive weeks and I then apply the Spot-on liquid on their back, before you know it al them tick died out one by one. each time I used the shampoo on them I put palm oil in their mouth peradventure lick their body it the chemical would have little effect, a friend told me that you can use activated charcoal tablet but I have not tried it before.
Another thing I did was that I changed their location so that I could spray their cage, I used snipper mixed with Jik solution. I left the cage un-touched for 3 days then washed it thoroughly. before I put the dogs back in, I repeat the same to all other locations where I do chained them.
Mind you if you are not always around to observe your dog you can't follow this route. Hope this help in a way.

So ur vet suggested vaccine for a sick pet...just great. U shd sue ur vet
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Magpies(m): 6:26am On Jan 09, 2015
@soknown,same stori 4 me 2 buh smehw ironic,my 1st dog wich waz a rottie sherpherd mix died of tick fever nd d vet gav it d vacine withn d nxt dai d dog waz found dead,since then i dnt trust any vet.
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Magpies(m): 6:36am On Jan 09, 2015
so i actuali tuk ma tym studied enough bout 'em nd then i saw nd knew dy culd live 4 6mnths upwards without taking blud nd 1 female tick culd reproduce a thousand nd if u dog stays in a concrete or wooding kennel they wuld lov 2 kal it home.
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Soknown: 7:05am On Jan 09, 2015
Prodeegee:

So ur vet suggested vaccine for a sick pet...just great. U shd sue ur vet
It was my first dog, but I know better now.
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Soknown: 7:09am On Jan 09, 2015
Magpies:
so i actuali tuk ma tym studied enough bout 'em nd then i saw nd knew dy culd live 4 6mnths upwards without taking blud nd 1 female tick culd reproduce a thousand nd if u dog stays in a concrete or wooding kennel they wuld lov 2 kal it home.
If your house is painted with text-coat, they do hide in the folds n holes. If the big ones are crushed, they released their eggs. Very disgusting set of pests.
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Soknown: 7:11am On Jan 09, 2015
Magpies:
@soknown,same stori 4 me 2 buh smehw ironic,my 1st dog wich waz a rottie sherpherd mix died of tick fever nd d vet gav it d vacine withn d nxt dai d dog waz found dead,since then i dnt trust any vet.
I know better now, I read more so that when I call a vet, I know or have an idea of what he has to do.
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Soknown: 7:18am On Jan 09, 2015
benuejosh:
This is my problem with high breed Dogs, they are too fragile, try it on Bingo and i bet you, it will survive. snipper killed one of our Gsd slant back many year ago. my Mum ignorantly and innocently dropped it on its body just to kill ticks. that was the end of the whole matter it died few hours after. there is these prticular liquid our vet Doctor prescribed for our dogs, he didnt prescribe sef, he bought it for us three years back cnt remember the name again but will ask him, it turns to white when you add it in water and has a very Offensive smell. we bath the dogs with the liquid and he also injected them a different drug against ticks. the injection was done ones, they were bathed with the liquid trice since then the dogs have been tick free.
The injection could be ivermect injection, it works but somehow dangerous because of neurological side-effects.
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Soknown: 7:30am On Jan 09, 2015
Prodeegee:

My question is, the ticks you handpicked, what do u do with them? How do you dispose them?
I put them inside Petrol mixed with Jik if I don't have Azithral solution. they died under one minute.
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Prodeegee(m): 8:34am On Jan 09, 2015
Soknown:

I put them inside Petrol mixed with Jik if I don't have Azithral solution. they died under one minute.

Nice, then flush down the WC

1 Like

Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by benuejosh: 8:56am On Jan 09, 2015
Soknown:

The injection could be ivermect injection, it works but somehow dangerous because of neurological side-effects.
ok noted. but dnt you think itz based on the quantity or level of it been injected into the dogs body that causes such danger? our dogs have being living healthy with no side effects. strong and active
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Soknown: 9:42am On Jan 09, 2015
benuejosh:
ok noted. but dnt you think itz based on the quantity or level of it been injected into the dogs body that causes such danger? our dogs have being living healthy with no side effects. strong and active
I'm happy that your dogs are doing fine n healthy. Generally speaking, drugs side effects are irrespective of dosage- like when we used to take chloroquine and have itching, whether you take one tablet or four if you are prone to have itching you would have it. I am not a vet, I only write what I have been able to glean from the net and friends.
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by jugomma(f): 11:13am On Jan 10, 2015
abeg i rub kerosine on my dog to kill some of d ticks dat on him after removing d bigger ones and he kind of went berserk and have been crying.am scared did i do something wrong?
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Soknown: 5:13pm On Jan 10, 2015
jugomma:
abeg i rub kerosine on my dog to kill some of d ticks dat on him after removing d bigger ones and he kind of went berserk and have been crying.am scared did i do something wrong?
Please bath that dog, the kerosene is irritating his skin, you know the skin is no longer intact 'cos of the ticks' bite, the kerosene gets to the skin and those small wound sites. so bath him and wait for like 2 or 3 days before you apply any anti-tick measures.
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by wahabdisu: 9:02am On Oct 31, 2015
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by wahabdisu: 7:04pm On Oct 31, 2015
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by damoskid(m): 8:14pm On Nov 08, 2015
someone told me to use Rambo insecticide powder plz is it safe
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by Nobody: 1:29am On Nov 09, 2015
damoskid:
someone told me to use Rambo insecticide powder plz is it safe
Lolz, it's not safe, please dont use it.
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by legendsmother(f): 12:41pm On Nov 07, 2016
I also lost my lhasa apso yesterday so painful am stil grieving If only I had seen dis thread earlier she was 9months old cute black nd white dog i'll miss her my heart is heavy,
I poured sniper in my living room nd didn't even notice she was inside cuz she walks freely in d house nd goes outside when she pleases, twas when I was in my room nd noticed she wasn't sleepin nxt to me I went nd saw her in the living room struggling to breathe and the breathing was with a whizzing sound ard 12:30am dts when I terrible ordeal started, twas a slow and painful death nd it left me wif a heavy heart.

Pls learn from my mistake, my Dutchess (her name) is gone all because of the sniper I poured in my living room

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by countsparrow: 6:20pm On Nov 07, 2016
I fumigated my housetoday with DDforce, then went out... While out, isaw this thread, brothersand sisters, if you see d kind speed wey i use take reach houseto check my lovely Goldie, u will be amazed... She is alive and kicking... Foreign dogs are so fragile, may God help us all
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by imeyalo09: 7:19pm On Nov 07, 2016
Get more infor about pet care here and also win a lots of freebies. Visit http://pethealth.top
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by PHAVHOR: 8:12am On Jan 16, 2017
[quote author=Prodeegee post=29515719]

Use fiproprotector,a vet introduced it to me and it's best have ever used.it works like magic and it's not in any powder form you just spray it on them
Re: Don't Mistakenly Poison Your Dog(an Alert) by PHAVHOR: 8:19am On Jan 16, 2017
Fiproprotector, good for dogs in killing ticks and flee

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Most Popular Dog Names In Nigeria. / What Type Of Animal Would You Keep As A Pet? / Why Do Nigerians Hate Cats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.