Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,430 members, 7,815,972 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? (24279 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? / Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? / Nessa-fel Ofada Rice (100% Natural. Stone And Smell Free Unpolished Local Rice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Reference(m): 6:10pm On Jan 03, 2015
osile2012:
[size=15pt]I have noticed most of my friends and people i talk to prefer foreign rice to our local rice. I try to let them know it is not good for our economy, and a friend asked me if he should eat what he does not like because of the economy.

Do you also prefer foreign rice to ours?
[/size]

Nigerians are not generally given to excellence that's why. It doesn't have good competitive quality.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Feranmicharles(m): 6:12pm On Jan 03, 2015
hijodedios:
you lie,there are imported foods in every nooks and cranies of france and am sure you eat at least one imported food everyday in france and that is if at all you live in france as you want some people to believe.
hey bonjour Les Chats tour coup ou tel moi brother undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Reference(m): 6:14pm On Jan 03, 2015
mekaboy:
We are not creative in this country and eager to import. Just because of stone we abandon our rice for another.

Sir, do you know that the elephant can live as long if not longer than man. Do you know what shortens its lifespan. Its teeth. Like man's they do not regenerate and once they get worn down by chomping on stone filled vegetation for decades the elephant simply starves to death. Ofada rice had better raise its game.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by zemaye: 6:15pm On Jan 03, 2015
i prefer the local rice o!
even though its pricey pending your location
its a healthy substitute to the polished rice
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by joseph1832(m): 6:17pm On Jan 03, 2015
Nigerians don't really like patronizing made in Nigeria products. They see it as inferior.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jan 03, 2015
I don't care if it's local or agric, na to chop belleful tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Grandmisty: 6:19pm On Jan 03, 2015
if it was another country some one would have come out with a way to remove stones
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nadamwa(f): 6:20pm On Jan 03, 2015
i think most people are used to the foreign rice that's mostly the reason they dont give the local ones a chance. everyone's crying stone in local rice but abakailaka rice comes without stone, ekpoma rice is actually sweeter than foreign rice, you just have to put it in water so the stones can go down and then you remove the rice. we should give our local ones more of a chance
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Cool83(m): 6:24pm On Jan 03, 2015
harrysterol:
I luv the rice just that I have not seen it again, especially if prepared locally with palm oil
nice stew with locust bean(iru
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by peteruuu(m): 6:25pm On Jan 03, 2015
Question : Why do nigerians hate Local Rice?
Answer : Because they don't like it.

They hate it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Tats(m): 6:26pm On Jan 03, 2015
Visited home this Christmas and was offered local Ofada rice or foreign rice. I opted to take local rice as per patronising locally made and it's been a long time I had it. Chai! The kind stone when I bite make me regret ever taking the local rice!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Reference(m): 6:28pm On Jan 03, 2015
PAnaceA7:
Na only stone... The smell alone na die... Am patriotic but if it has to do with what goes into my stomach. Abeg leave patriotism for Oga Jona oo

Hmmm. I wonder if there is some affinity with the he-goats you see nibbling, trampling and pissing all over the lot as it dries on the sun baked country side roads giving us the distinctive 'akuya flavouring'.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by friendl: 6:33pm On Jan 03, 2015
L LOVE LOCAL RICE
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by madjune(m): 6:36pm On Jan 03, 2015
PLS CAN SOMEONE HELP ME HERE?

I've NOTICED THAT I CAN'T MAKE COMMENTS ON POLITICS SECTIONS.
HAVE I BEEN BANNED?
IF SO, WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG?
I'm SUPPOSEDTO BE CARRIED ALONG SINCE THIS IS A DEMOCRATIC PLATFORM.

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING NAIRALAND CO-ORDINATORS PLS EDUCATE ME.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by mu2sa2: 6:36pm On Jan 03, 2015
There are different varieties of local rice. Some look like imported Thai rice but taste better. Those complaining of sand or stone buy from dirty places. Compared to Thai rice, local rice is less polished and therefore more nutritious.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by stinggy(m): 6:37pm On Jan 03, 2015
tchidi:
The ones from Ebonyi state are actually de-stoned!

We use that one.. and I like it.

Only that it takes long to cook, the ebonyi rice
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 03, 2015
sisiafrika:
how about price, availabilty and affordability? Heard its tastier too

I really don't know the price sha, but it's a lot cheaper I guess... I even saw one man carrying the 50kg own in utako market. tastier? Sure. It has this unique taste that you don't get in foreign rice.... I'm serious!

Disclaimer: I'm not from Ebonyi o! So people don't think I'm praising my village people. tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by OpraMenu(m): 6:39pm On Jan 03, 2015
As a student I do painstakingly sort the stones and blow out the chaff before cooking it. it's the best trust me.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by OpraMenu(m): 6:43pm On Jan 03, 2015
As a student I do painstakingly sort the stones and blow out the chaff before cooking it. it's the best trust me...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by PAnaceA7(m): 6:44pm On Jan 03, 2015
Reference:

Hmmm. I wonder if there is some affinity with the he-goats you see nibbling, trampling and pissing all over the lot as it dries on the sun baked country side roads giving us the distinctive 'akuya flavouring'.
You neva can tell.... Lol
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by mako007(m): 6:48pm On Jan 03, 2015
Stones plus no aroma rather it stinks
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by delishpot: 6:51pm On Jan 03, 2015
Our government were not smart enough. What brought the popularity of imported rice was the fact that it came perboiled, sorted and de stoned. Before the introduction of the imported rice, you had to sellect our localy grown rice for days ahead if you were planning a party or large gathering.
It took tame and effort to clean them plus no mater how well you clean them, some stones and bits still enter the cooking pot. Imported rice made it easier to cooke rice. From a one man meal to a huge party imported rice can be cooked fast, 80 times faster.
If our businessmen/ Government were smart, they would have opened a factory that sellects(not polish) the rice and package them. Imagine the money that person would have made and how our local farmers would have prospered and be encouraged to grow more? Instead they decided to import and killed off tge local market. Now our localy grown(Ofada) rice is even more expensive than the imported one.
The local unpolished ones are healthier than those imported ones.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 03, 2015
ohhhhhhhhhhh GOD.........dat the name.....wen u eat a stone d next ting we say is ....oh god......

bt i prefer d local one.....dah foreign own na original nonsense
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Sammiejo: 6:52pm On Jan 03, 2015
All those complaining of stones have not eaten properly prepared local brands like Ekiti Ofada and Lintex. I cooked Lintex recently and found it to be tastier and with out any stones. My only grouse is that I could not find it in large quantities and in the open market. I could only get 1kg at the Palms mall. If you work for or distribute Lintex rice, please advise where it can be obtained in 10kg,25kg and 50kg bags in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jan 03, 2015
OP which kind useless and nonsense question u dey ask sef. Local rice filled with stones and other rubbish wey go give man pikin Appendix under one day person chop am na u dey ask dis annoying question and to add more injury one Nkpunku move it to FP angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by pweshboi(m): 7:05pm On Jan 03, 2015
I love local rice with passion.... Its just that it takes a lot of time in processing and eating unline the imported ones that are already parboiled
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by pocohantas(f): 7:06pm On Jan 03, 2015
OpraMenu:
As a student I do painstakingly sort the stones and blow out the chaff before cooking it. it's the best trust me...

Lol. Welldone. Sincerely, I have never seen it in the market or maybe I have not been looking out for it. I will try it out...would buy like 3cups first...hahaha.
I get where I buy ofada rice to eat, and it's quite expensive...does that mean the local rice is more expensive?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Baddestguyp(m): 7:09pm On Jan 03, 2015
ofada rice tastes like sh*t to me undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by OpraMenu(m): 7:16pm On Jan 03, 2015
pocohantas:

Lol. Welldone. Sincerely, I have never seen it in the market or maybe I have not been looking out for it. I will try it out...would buy like 3cups first...hahaha.
I get where I buy ofada rice to eat, and it's quite expensive...does that mean the local rice is more expensive?
Yes it's more expensive than foreign rice
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Ayo199(m): 7:18pm On Jan 03, 2015
Oh God! Yet anoda stone..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by 9jatatafo(m): 7:21pm On Jan 03, 2015
Stones! Stones!! Stones!!! With one odour that is not too pleasing and not sweet. Nigerian chefs and co should devise a better means of enjoying our local rice.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by otokx(m): 7:25pm On Jan 03, 2015
I got some as a gift, first of all the sack resembled animal feed colored brown, next there was no made in Nigeria anywhere. It said it will expire in 2016, the rice grains are short and when boiled the white has this unusual whiteness. The rice is prone to tuworization. Have not bitten any stone yet.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Have You Ever Got A Bone Stuck In Your Throat? How Did You Remove It? / Roasted Corn VS Boiled Corn / How To Cook Nigerian Fish Stew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.