Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,044 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? (24282 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? / Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? / Nessa-fel Ofada Rice (100% Natural. Stone And Smell Free Unpolished Local Rice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Adesiji77: 7:29pm On Jan 03, 2015
There were no stones in the Ofada rice that I have been enjoying since last week.... cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Amisec: 7:42pm On Jan 03, 2015
I don't know why people buy the cheap local rice and then complain of stones, the local rice I have been eating is far costlier than most foreign rice and I haven't noticed any stone.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:00pm On Jan 03, 2015
[size=18pt]What is everyone complaining about stones for?!

What rubbish!

The device below was invented in Stone age times to solve this petty issue.

Wake up! [/size]

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by evea: 8:15pm On Jan 03, 2015
na ofada rice we eat. The only disadvantage is it can't enjoy it on fried rice. bt nice. We got ours from agenebode Edo state n picked. no sand.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by deavicky(m): 8:42pm On Jan 03, 2015
osile2012:
[size=15pt]I have noticed most of my friends and people i talk to prefer foreign rice to our local rice. I try to let them know it is not good for our economy, and a friend asked me if he should eat what he does not like because of the economy.

Do you also prefer foreign rice to ours?
[/size]
sand abi na stone too much in our local rice and it's like, it is even expensive then d foreign one.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by MightySparrow: 8:44pm On Jan 03, 2015
When you put your teeth on grain of stone, you shout O God.
That is why I call it O God rice.
The local rice is not hygienically prepared and lacks standard of the foreign.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
Feranmicharles:
Well... I never ate foreign food cos our economy is standard here in FRANCE. cheesy
In 2015 ?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Horlazuncanmi(m): 9:03pm On Jan 03, 2015
Local rice are more Nutritional and Medicinal, people eat Local rice,and if you are not eating it,then you are missing.try and eat Ofada,Igbemo and Abakaliki rice then you will forget foreign rice. Agricultural Engineers have worked a lot on it and there is no more stones in them

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by vanunu: 9:34pm On Jan 03, 2015
delishpot:
Our government were not smart enough. What brought the popularity of imported rice was the fact that it came perboiled, sorted and de stoned. Before the introduction of the imported rice, you had to sellect our localy grown rice for days ahead if you were planning a party or large gathering.
It took tame and effort to clean them plus no mater how well you clean them, some stones and bits still enter the cooking pot. Imported rice made it easier to cooke rice. From a one man meal to a huge party imported rice can be cooked fast, 80 times faster.
If our businessmen/ Government were smart, they would have opened a factory that sellects(not polish) the rice and package them. Imagine the money that person would have made and how our local farmers would have prospered and be encouraged to grow more? Instead they decided to import and killed off tge local market. Now our localy grown(Ofada) rice is even more expensive than the imported one.
The local unpolished ones are healthier than those imported ones.

There are now more than 5 modern rice mills in the country that are producing polished and stone free rice. Infact the biggest stone free rice mill in africa is in nasarawa state, it was comissioned last yr, there are other modern mills in ebonyi and enugu state.

Gej administration has updated agriculture in nigeria more than any other govt in our recent history, though most nigerian are not interested in agriculture, but the few that are into modern rice farming are smiling to the bank and u cannot see them talk bad about this govt. The minister of agric . Adesina, is a young man who knows what he is doing.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by eaglechild: 9:34pm On Jan 03, 2015
ohzee:
I live in Enugu and can categorically and proudly state here that for over 6 months my family and I have been eating completely destoned local Abakaliki rice. It is nutritious and tasty. It cooks fast too. In fact though there is Ebony gold the locally made polished rice, but I still prefer the unpolished variety. The first time I cooked it nobody even noticed the difference.
Thank you so much.

It seems not so many people are aware of the availability of good quality destoned Abakaliki rice.

It tastes way better than the foreign rice and is healthier too.

I even think it is becoming more expensive now than the imported rice.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by delishpot: 9:38pm On Jan 03, 2015
vanunu:

There are now more than 5 modern rice mills in the country that are producing polished and stone free rice. Infact the biggest stone free rice mill in africa is in nasarawa state, it was comissioned last yr, there are other modern mills in ebonyi and enugu state.

Gej administration has updated agriculture in nigeria more than any other govt in our recent history, though most nigerian are not interested in agriculture, but the few that are into modern rice farming are smiling to the bank and u cannot see them talk bad about this govt. The minister of agric . Adesina, is a young man who knows what he is doing.

Good news. At all at all naim bad pass.
Like I said, I like our rice. I was talking about how this imported rice gained ground in naija in the past. I believe goodluck was not the president in the era I was talking about in my former post.
That GEJ has improved it, doesnt mean the past did not exist.
Relax my guy, I wasnt attacking your GEJ addmin.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by iamord(m): 9:49pm On Jan 03, 2015
tchidi:
The ones from Ebonyi state are actually de-stoned!

We use that one.. and I like it.
it also takes long to become soft! With all this qualities who wil u export such to?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by agabaI23(m): 9:54pm On Jan 03, 2015
iamord:
it also takes long to become soft! With all this qualities who wil u export such to?
Have you cooked brown rice before? It is still exported. If you do not appreciate yourself, no one will. Funny enough some of the producers of those foreign ones do not like them, they prefer basmati from India or wherever.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by iamord(m): 9:57pm On Jan 03, 2015
agabaI23:
Have you cooked brown rice before? It is still exported. If you do not appreciate yourself, no one will. Funny enough some of the producers of those foreign ones do not like them, they prefer basmati from India or wherever.
yeah I have tasted brow rice! Its okay for me, got a bag of mama gold rice ,and its got me wondering if its really imported cos its low quality, and if it is its a shame, they need to research and create better variants of rice here
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by ThaProphet(m): 10:05pm On Jan 03, 2015
These same people are the ones who'd be the first to complain about the economy of the country.

How would your local rice improve in quality if it is not getting the necessary funds through your patronage? Complain about quality yet you refuse to give the local product the opportunity to improve only to then complain about it later.

This applies to those "at the top" as well. I am sure Aso Rock stocks imported rice as well.

Stupidity!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by agabaI23(m): 10:09pm On Jan 03, 2015
iamord:
yeah I have tasted brow rice! Its okay for me, got a bag of mama gold rice ,and its got me wondering if its really imported cos its low quality, and if it is its a shame, they need to research and create better variants of rice here
I mentioned brown rice because it takes ages to cook not because of taste and yet it is exported. It is choice!

The local variants are cool. The Ebony gold from Abakaliki is long grain and you won't know the difference between it and the so called imported by just looking except in taste.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Sammiejo: 10:49pm On Jan 03, 2015
Still asking. Does anyone know where I can buy Lintex rice in Large quantities in Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by osile2012: 11:03pm On Jan 03, 2015
[size=15pt]My Thread from last year made FP this year. Every blessing that has been pending in my life and yours will be released this year in JESUS name. Amen grin grin grin grin[/size]
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jan 03, 2015
menix:
Guy if u done chop local rice u will not ask diz queshion.
Nah inside local rice I know say stone is classified into 4 types.

Jst wait till u chop d Iron stone type.
oh lawdddd grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by shilling(f): 12:37am On Jan 04, 2015
This is a very good point. Brown rice takes forever to cook, pretty much looks and tastes like crap, yet it is popular worldwide. Nigerians need to get over our neocolonial imperial mentality and realize that often times there is nothing wrong with locally made products.

agabaI23:
I mentioned brown rice because it takes ages to cook not because of taste and yet it is exported. It is choice!

The local variants are cool. The Ebony gold from Abakaliki is long grain and you won't know the difference between it and the so called imported by just looking except in taste.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nmeri17: 1:41am On Jan 04, 2015
Ilovenigeria:
Becos of choping stone.

yo signature is insane grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by jites(m): 1:49am On Jan 04, 2015
The stones, sand and rock you find in some of the local rice over time can be collected and used to construct a solid german floor.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 6:12am On Jan 04, 2015
;DTHE LOCAL RICE OF OLD USED TO BE RUBBISH. BUT TRY A NIGERIAN RICE TODAY AND YOU WILL NEVER WANT TO EAT FOREIGN RICE AGAIN. YOU CAN'T EVEN COMPARE. Especially in terms of taste. There are good and well polished Nigerian rice out there. My the ones u use to judge are home made rice with stones. For the past two years in my house we've never bought a bag of foreign rice, just Nigerian rice.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Sammiejo: 8:44am On Jan 04, 2015
geccibede:
;DTHE LOCAL RICE OF OLD USED TO BE RUBBISH. BUT TRY A NIGERIAN RICE TODAY AND YOU WILL NEVER WANT TO EAT FOREIGN RICE AGAIN. YOU CAN'T EVEN COMPARE. Especially in terms of taste. There are good and well polished Nigerian rice out there. My the ones u use to judge are home made rice with stones. For the past two years in my house we've never bought a bag of foreign rice, just Nigerian rice.
What is the name of the brand? And where do you get it from?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Sammiejo: 8:48am On Jan 04, 2015
tchidi:

I really don't know the price sha, but it's a lot cheaper I guess... I even saw one man carrying the 50kg own in utako market. tastier? Sure. It has this unique taste that you don't get in foreign rice.... I'm serious!

Disclaimer: I'm not from Ebonyi o! So people don't think I'm praising my village people. tongue

Does it really take long to cook? What is the name?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Horllamideh(m): 10:57am On Jan 04, 2015
Local rice a.k.a 'Oh God' rice
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by stagger911(m): 11:11am On Jan 04, 2015
I only eat Basmati rice.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by chinnyness122(f): 2:32pm On Jan 04, 2015
I know not how foreign rice tastes cos av bin feeding on abakaliki rice .....100% stone and husk free!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by AlphaDibia(m): 3:29pm On Jan 04, 2015
Brown rice > white rice..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by LewisO: 4:14pm On Jan 04, 2015
STONES that can condemn the career of your tooth! grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Youngbankee(m): 4:30pm On Jan 04, 2015
expensive i guess
Re: Why Do Nigerians Hate Local Rice? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jan 04, 2015
I ones made a mistake of buying local ebonyi rice thinking it was foreign. it was so good that I no longer discriminate between the two. anyone I see I chop.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Have You Ever Got A Bone Stuck In Your Throat? How Did You Remove It? / Roasted Corn VS Boiled Corn / How To Cook Nigerian Fish Stew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.