Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? (1816 Views)

5 Benefits Of Choosing A Private University And Polytechnic / 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University / Husband & Wife Bag PhD From UNILAG On The Same Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? by rudian(f): 1:08am On Dec 26, 2014
Hello everyone, I am Considering running a PHD at a private institution in Guidance and counselling and would gladly welcome any advice or pieces of information as to whether this is a good move and what effects it can have on my career as I intend to work as a lecturer . Thanks for your anticipated responses.
Re: Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? by Henix(m): 1:14am On Dec 26, 2014
Home or abroad?
Re: Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? by bright007(f): 1:38am On Dec 26, 2014
in France or Pakistan
Re: Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? by emmasege: 3:12am On Dec 26, 2014
While it's true that very few of the private unis are of good standard (e.g. covenant, Bowen), it's still advisable that u consider good federal unis except u r being promised job in the private university. The advantage of a private uni however is that you'll likely finish in a record time. No UNNECESSARY DELAYS by supervisor & school bureaucracy which charaterise most public unis.
Best of luck in your academic pursuit!
Re: Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? by economia: 4:30am On Dec 26, 2014
go and get it, a Phd is Phd any where, even in Local Government University

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? by rudian(f): 6:51am On Dec 26, 2014
emmasege:
While it's true that very few of the private unis are of good standard (e.g. covenant, Bowen), it's still advisable that u consider good federal unis except u r being promised job in the private university. The advantage of a private uni however is that you'll likely finish in a record time. No UNNECESSARY DELAYS by supervisor & school bureaucracy which charaterise most public unis.
Best of luck in your academic pursuit!
thanks Emmasege,I was nt promised a job by the private university I have in mind, I'm jst tired of the delays associated with federal and state schs,having obtained my BA and MSC from state and federal schools respectively. I want to study and leave school at the right time which as U pointed out is one of the perks of a private uni. My fear is the rumoured discrimination in terms of being qualifired for jobs btwn graduates from private and federal schs, I felt that since I alredy ve two good degrees( nt being boastful) that would be enough to stem any discrimination in that aspect. Thanks for commenting pls dnt hesistate to express more of ur opinions if u feel inclined to.
Re: Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? by rudian(f): 6:53am On Dec 26, 2014
Henix:
Home or abroad?
Henix, at home Benson Idahosa University.
Re: Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? by rudian(f): 6:54am On Dec 26, 2014
bright007:
in France or Pakistan
haba bright cheesy say better tin jor
Re: Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? by paul234(m): 7:17am On Dec 26, 2014
If na abroad then it is advisable.
Re: Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? by Nobody: 8:12am On Dec 26, 2014
The reality on ground is that there are lots of discrimination going on in the academic circle. I hv seen discriminations against PhDs obtained from some universities in India and Malaysia. I ll advised that due to the stress and effort involved in successfully completing a PhD degree, try and do it in a well ranked university. You won't want to spend 3 years pursuing the degree and start suffering discrimination. For a fact, am sure you can't get an academic job in a school like OAU if you have PhD from a Benson Idahosa University. Its even better you have your first two degrees from a low ranking private university and then top it up with a PhD from a well respected university than the other way round

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Get A Phd From A Private University? by Henix(m): 7:21am On Dec 27, 2014
rudian:
Henix, at home Benson Idahosa University.
why would u think of such? Why not take ur time and search for a good tuition free school abroad for ur PhD? Then for home, there are still good federal schools in Nigeria that dont exhibit those delay issue and its related, Unizik for example. Give ur PhD an added advantage by going for a good federal university, this is Nigeria. Erase That private school thought from ur memory, if u dont want an insinuation tomorrow that u possibly bought the certificate with money

(1) (Reply)

Mechanical Engineering Students To Design A Motorized Tricycle In Lasu / Sad But True! Job Tales By Jumia Labourers(workers) / Al-qalam University, Katsina 2015/2016 Admission Process Is Currently On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.