Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,798 members, 7,862,638 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 09:43 PM

FG Targets 750,000 Young Farmers With $100m Agric Finance Empowerment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Targets 750,000 Young Farmers With $100m Agric Finance Empowerment (862 Views)

FG Targets 4,000MW From Nuclear Energy / EFCC Targets 750 New Employment, Moves To Investigate Diezani / FG targets one million jobs through growth employment project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Targets 750,000 Young Farmers With $100m Agric Finance Empowerment by Ikengawo: 10:21pm On Dec 28, 2014
[size=14pt]FG targets 750,000 young farmers with $100m agric finance empowerment[/size]
December 17, 2014, Author: ELIZABETH ARCHIBONG

President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday flagged off a $100 million Fund for Agricultural Finance in Nigeria (FAFIN) targeted at empowering over 750,000 Nigerian youths.
This is as the president also launched the Youth Employment in Agriculture Programme (YEAP) scheme in line with efforts to make agriculture commercially viable.

While flagging off the programme at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja, President Jonathan paid glowing tributes to the roles played by youths in Nigeria, saying that they have brought glory to the country.
He announced that government was establishing about 1,200 agricultural equipment hiring centers in the next two years, even as 80 of such centers are already operational in several locations across the country.

“To drive the modernisation of the agriculture sector, I launched the Agricultural Equipment Hiring Enterprises (AEHEs), a private sector driven programme that will provide mechanised services for farmers across the country. By the end of December 2014, a total of 80 Agricultural Equipment Hiring Centers would have become fully established across the country. Over the next two years, a total of 1,200 of the Agricultural Equipment Hiring Centers would be established across the nation”, he said.

The president, who noted that the future of the country belongs to the youths, stated that government must work to create the enabling environment that will stimulate jobs for the teeming Nigerian youths.
“The Youth Employment in Agriculture Programme (YEAP), which I am flagging off today, will further change the face of Nigeria’s agriculture. YEAP has been designed to create a new generation of 750,000 young commercial farmers and agribusiness leaders (Nagropreneurs) that will make Nigeria’s agriculture more efficient, profitable and competitive.
“They will become the CEOs of their own farms and agribusinesses, create jobs in the rural areas and reverse the trend of high rural to urban migration. They will help to change the mindset of the younger generation on agriculture”, he said.

The president noted that the new vision will not only target self-sufficiency in food production in Nigeria in the next few years, but will ensure that the Nagropreneurs will become models and champions for the recently launched National Agriculture Schools Initiative.
According to him, the project will also help to “consolidate and ensure that our future green economy endures”.
Jonathan recalled the great success recorded in the agricultural transformation agenda (ATA) in 2011, which he said was targeted at adding extra 20 million metric tons of food to the country’s domestic food supply by 2015.

“Today, we have already surpassed our target. Over the past three years, our farmers have produced additional 21 million metric tons of food.
“Within the same period, we have created 3 million farm jobs. I am confident that we will soon surpass our target of 3.5 million farm jobs. Today, the gap between the farmer and the government has been substantially bridged – Farmers, all over the country, are being touched by the new drive for food production.”

“The recent decline in the price of crude oil further underscores the necessity to rapidly diversify our economy away from dependency on crude oil. By producing our own food, we will save scarce foreign exchange, reduce dependence on food imports, while reviving our rural areas and creating wealth for our farmers”, he said.

http://businessdayonline.com/2014/12/fg-targets-750000-young-farmers-with-100m-agric-finance-empowerment/

1 Like

Re: FG Targets 750,000 Young Farmers With $100m Agric Finance Empowerment by simplemach(m): 10:27pm On Dec 28, 2014
Pls i need a share in that. They said everybody should go back to farming, me too there is space in my back, i want to join.

1 Like

Re: FG Targets 750,000 Young Farmers With $100m Agric Finance Empowerment by yemmit90: 10:32pm On Dec 28, 2014
Why can't FG stop these incessant propagandas and focus on the last paragraph of above article.
Re: FG Targets 750,000 Young Farmers With $100m Agric Finance Empowerment by dunkem21(m): 10:35pm On Dec 28, 2014
Collects hoe and cutlass.

See ya in farm.
Re: FG Targets 750,000 Young Farmers With $100m Agric Finance Empowerment by Ikengawo: 10:41pm On Dec 28, 2014
With young farmers we have the innovative spirit to take it beyond hoe and cutlass farming. We manufacture affordable tractors in Nigeria and can use digital technology to plan and work out trade systems to get our products sold.

The main set back is we need refrigerated transportation in Nigeria! Products from Kano can barely make it to Lagos due to clime and travel times. If we look into refridgerated trucks, there wouldn't be any questions asked about how it will boost our capacity and collapse food costs even further.
Re: FG Targets 750,000 Young Farmers With $100m Agric Finance Empowerment by ANBAKO: 10:54pm On Dec 28, 2014
This Government and hungry journalist will just be ditching out figure without facts.
750000 youths and 3 million farm jobs?...where are they? Is this not same that was promised with SURE-P after removing the subsidy (the only thing the poor masses enjoy from Government)? Lets ask ourself a single question - How many of your acquaintances (Friend, Neigbhour, Church and mosque member, Schoolmates etc) is employed as a "real" farmer? The real fact is that all these money goes back to the Politicians. They are the one owning big farms: Adeniji Adele, Olumilua (Ekiti), Falae (Ondo), Atiku, Obasanjo, etc They will corner all these funds and activities for themselves. My aunty in Ilorin went into farming fulltime after her retiremnet in late 90's ....she never get any subsidy or aid.

80 Agricultural equipment hiring centres - For where? In Ekiti or Benue? I did not see any. What are they hiring? Cutlasses or Hoes? Baskets or firewood?

We are producing millions of tonnes of rice but all I see in all stores and market are still Thai rice.....where are all the Millions of tonnes of rice produced in Nigeria?

The only thing produced by this government is lies and fraudulent figure just to entice populace to vote GEJ come 2015.

May God help us !!!!

1 Like

Re: FG Targets 750,000 Young Farmers With $100m Agric Finance Empowerment by falconey(m): 11:00pm On Dec 28, 2014
Ikengawo:
With young farmers we have the innovative spirit to take it beyond hoe and cutlass farming. We manufacture affordable tractors in Nigeria and can use digital technology to plan and work out trade systems to get our products sold.

The main set back is we need refrigerated transportation in Nigeria! Products from Kano can barely make it to Lagos due to clime and travel times. If we look into refridgerated trucks, there wouldn't be any questions asked about how it will boost our capacity and collapse food costs even further.
lwkm......jonaTAN don mugu my man.....because of 2015 election DR otuoke dey promise you.....6years he no do am na now?

(1) (Reply)

Redeem Church Senior Pastor Expresses Veiled Support For Buhari, Says Nigeria Ca / Nigerian Billboards Demolition: High Comm'r Slams Ghana National Security, AMA / Photos: Labour Party Campaign Rally In Oyo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.