Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,350 members, 7,836,438 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? (14991 Views)

7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. / How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state / Girls Who Cohabited In The University Do Not Deserve Bride Price!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by dinachi(m): 12:19pm On Dec 30, 2014
Where are the feminists who will not allow us hear word ? The time has come to fight for equality and speak against the paying of bride price. You are right! You won't see them here. They are fake and retarded. Back to topic. Until bride price and buying of gifts are totally abolished, the e-fights here in support of feminism by a few female clowns remain but a dream!

3 Likes

Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Dec 30, 2014
I want it scrapped.
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by coogar: 1:21pm On Dec 30, 2014
dinachi:
Where are the feminists who will not allow us hear word ? The time has come to fight for equality and speak against the paying of bride price. You are right! You won't see them here. They are fake and retarded. Back to topic. Until bride price and buying of gifts are totally abolished, the e-fights here in support of feminism by a few female clowns remain but a dream!

i like the brideprice culture - men must prove themselves worthy enough to cop a wife. i hate that the traditional wrestling culture to get a wife has been abolished. grin imagine what it would have been to compete against aki or pawpaw for genevieve. grin

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by bamidele029: 1:28pm On Dec 30, 2014
Where I come from it's already been scraped, the grooms family gives gifts and the brides family equally gives gifts back but no money is collected. Some families my collect a symbolic thing like one kobo if they want to retain the cultural aspect . The reason is we believe that daughters are not goods to be sold, I know of other towns in my tribe who do the same . Even when funding the wedding, both families contribute. I think the change came about because the women asked for it to be stopped , any little argument and the man will be talking about how he paid so and so for her undecided no more of that, all anyone is interested it that you look after their child. I will follow the same part, I don't need your money just prove to me that you love my daughter .
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 30, 2014
coogar:

i like the brideprice culture - men must prove themselves worthy enough to cop a wife. i hate that the traditional wrestling culture to get a wife has been abolished. grin imagine what it would have been to compete against aki or pawpaw for genevieve. grin

There are better ways to prove you can cope with a wife.
Whats your character? How do you react during disagreements? How do you treat those below your strata. Anyone can borrow money and pay whatever is charged but character is hardly hidden for long

5 Likes

Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Dec 30, 2014
bamidele029:
Where I come from it's already been scraped, the grooms family gives gifts and the brides family equally gives gifts back but no money is collected. The reason is we believe that daughters are not goods to be sold, I know of other towns in my tribe who do the same . Even when funding the wedding, both families contribute. I think the change came about because the women asked for it to be stopped , any little argument and the man will be talking about how he paid so and so for her undecided no more of that, all anyone is interested it that you look after their child. I will follow the same part, I don't need your money just prove to me that you love my daughter

Great this is the stepping stone for change
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Chillis: 1:31pm On Dec 30, 2014
Nigerian men too like money.

See the way they are selling their daughters all in the name of bride price.
.tufiakwa..

I just read the title, let me go read the content .

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Stillfire: 1:33pm On Dec 30, 2014
bamidele029:
Where I come from it's already been scraped, the grooms family gives gifts and the brides family equally gives gifts back but no money is collected. The reason is we believe that daughters are not goods to be sold, I know of other towns in my tribe who do the same . Even when funding the wedding, both families contribute. I think the change came about because the women asked for it to be stopped , any little argument and the man will be talking about how he paid so and so for her undecided no more of that, all anyone is interested it that you look after their child. I will follow the same part, I don't need your money just prove to me that you love my daughter

Igbo women I hope you are hearing. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by coogar: 1:43pm On Dec 30, 2014
aisha2:

There are better ways to prove you can cope with a wife. Whats your character? How do you react during disagreements? How do you treat those below your strata. Anyone can borrow money and pay whatever is charged but character is hardly hidden for long

aisha, i said cop not cope....

the brideprice is a quality assurance test that a man is capable of providing for his wife & kids. what has character gotta do with it? the character test is left for the bride & her family to check. even in yoruba tradition, they do background checks on the family of the groom & so on and forth.

the brideprice culture must remain but it should be checked for frivolous demands that we get to read these days. items like laptops, undies for MIL & blackberry phones are just ridiculous and demeaning.

3 Likes

Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by bukatyne(f): 1:44pm On Dec 30, 2014
Stillfire:

Igbo women I hope you are hearing. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I think the bold is a very major reason for it to be scrapped undecided

It depends on the culture...

My hubby did not pay bride price though a list of stuffs was given to him (gifts really; you do not go to your guests house emptyhanded grin) and my family sponsored the reception (engagement & white) (The host must feed his/her guests).

This I understand to be the general culture of the Yorubas; some collect and give back; some do not collect @ all and the bride's family cater for the reception with the husband dropping something (if he likes) depending on his pocket and rapport.

If bride price can be abolished, it would go a very very long way cheesy
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by coogar: 1:48pm On Dec 30, 2014
Chillis:
Nigerian men too like money.

See the way they are selling their daughters all in the name of bride price.
.tufiakwa..

I just read the title, let me go read the content .

don't cover the truth.
the umuadas are the ones behind this brideprice thingy. it's a festival for them. the men are very flexible with the list - the adas on the other hand are just bent on collecting white marks & spencer's undies from the groom. grin

1 Like

Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 30, 2014
coogar:

aisha, i said cop not cope....
the brideprice is a quality assurance test that a man is capable of providing for his wife & kids. what has character gotta do with it? the character test is left for the bride & her family to check. even in yoruba tradition, they do background checks on the family of the groom & so on and forth.
the brideprice culture must remain but it should be checked for frivolous demands that we get to read these days. items like laptops, undies for MIL & blackberry phones are just ridiculous and demeaning.

Any man can borrow, steal and cheat to pay bride price. A man can pay today yet loose his business tomorrow it is no guarantee that he will be able to care for his wife.
I would expect that families will be more concerned about their kids starting a new life and helping them have a head start instead of taking from them
Where am from the brides family makes bed, furniture set and wardrobe, her sibblings buy plates, pots, microwave, fridge, freezer, washing machine etc anything to make their sisters life easier and comfortable because it is believed that a new young couple will need help starting their lives.

I can dig up five stories on nairaland alone where men robbed under the excuse of needing bride price money, in one case the fiancee also helped him steal because she figured she was " helping " her husband.

2 Likes

Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Stillfire: 1:51pm On Dec 30, 2014
coogar:

don't cover the truth.
the umuadas are the ones behind this brideprice thingy. it's a festival for them. the men are very flexible with the list - the adas on the other hand are just bent on collecting white marks & spencer's undies from the groom. grin

Coogar what do you know about the Umuada? grin
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Chillis: 1:53pm On Dec 30, 2014
coogar:

don't cover the truth.

Lies!

Umuada take only drinks.
The ummunna come with rediculous lists .
Ranging from schnapps to he-goats.
I pity ladies that looses the ones they loved because of these lists.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 30, 2014
bukatyne:

I think the bold is a very major reason for it to be scrapped undecided
It depends on the culture...
My hubby did not pay bride price though a list of stuffs was given to him (gifts really; you do not go to your guests house emptyhanded grin) and my family sponsored the reception (engagement & white) (The host must feed his/her guests).
This I understand to be the general culture of the Yorubas; some collect and give back; some do not collect @ all and the bride's family cater for the reception with the husband dropping something (if he likes) depending on his pocket and rapport.
If bride price can be abolished, it would go a very very long way cheesy

Like the other poster wrote it was the women in her community who stood up against this practice and got it abolished. It wont scrap itself, we women loose most from it so we should be the ones who should stand up and say we want it scrapped if we do.
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by bukatyne(f): 1:58pm On Dec 30, 2014
aisha2:

Like the other poster wrote it was the women in her community who stood up against this practice and got it abolished. It wont scrap itself, we women loose most from it so we should be the ones who should stand up and say we want it scrapped if we do.

It would be best if the affected women champion it and we can support.
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by coogar: 2:08pm On Dec 30, 2014
Chillis:

Lies!

Umuada take only drinks.

buhahahaha.....
umuadas are the ones that control anything marriage, domestic violence where women are the victims & infidelity when the wives are the offenders.

Stillfire:

Coogar what do you know about the Umuada? grin

i wine & dine with these women everyday - i know what they are capable of. they are fierce & intransigent when it comes to the bridal issues. their demands must be met.

aisha2:

Any man can borrow, steal and cheat to pay bride price. A man can pay today yet loose his business tomorrow it is no guarantee that he will be able to care for his wife.

as opposed to not having test at all?

I would expect that families will be more concerned about their kids starting a new life and helping them have a head start instead of taking from them

in most cases, the family of the groom picks the bill. so all those boys in their mid-20s getting married straight after NYSC are the ones coughing out N1m brideprice? na yam?

Where am from the brides family makes bed, furniture set and wardrobe, her sibblings buy plates, pots, microwave, fridge, freezer, washing machine etc anything to make their sisters life easier and comfortable because it is believed that a new young couple will need help starting their lives.

which part of nigeria is this? grin

I can dig up five stories on nairaland alone where men robbed under the excuse of needing bride price money, in one case the fiancee also helped him steal because she figured she was " helping " her husband.

there would always be few minorities abusing the concept of the bride price - you cannot use that to whip the concept. so because of few plane crashes, we should not use the plane again?
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 30, 2014
I think it's their indirect way of telling the woman she is 'under' the man. That's why you might hear a man tell his wife "after I payed your bride price...blablabla"

The annoying thing is, it's not even the bride's immediate family that haggles for this money/items...it's uncles/aunts that you never knew existed.

...it should be stopped(but then-who will bell the cat)...the dividends of a good inlaw can never be quantified into any bride price. They might collect it greedily that day...annoy the inlaw(s) and the bride would suffer it.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 30, 2014
coogar:

buhahahaha.....
umuadas are the ones that control anything marriage, domestic violence where women are the victims & infidelity when the wives are the offenders.
i wine & dine with these women everyday - i know what they are capable of. they are fierce & intransigent when it comes to the bridal issues. their demands must be met.
as opposed to not having test at all?
in most cases, the family of the groom picks the bill. so all those boys in their mid-20s getting married straight after NYSC are the ones coughing out N1m brideprice? na yam?
which part of nigeria is this? grin
there would always be few minorities abusing the concept of the bride price - you cannot use that to whip the concept. so because of few plane crashes, we should not use the plane again?

Lol the north; plateau, bauchi, kaduna, gombe etc.

I asked for the benefits still to get any. You said its to prove the ability of the man to care for his family and I said paying bride price is no guarantee he can and will always provide for his family
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 30, 2014
Chillis:

Lies!

Umuada take only drinks.

Nah them wan lose the one they love, by the time she carry am go registry, start born pikins, umunna go beg for half yam cheesy.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 30, 2014
Chillis:

Lies!

Umuada take only drinks.

Umuadas different o nne.
My own dem dey take everything...lolz
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by coogar: 2:32pm On Dec 30, 2014
aisha2:

Lol the north; plateau, bauchi, kaduna, gombe etc.

thanks for the heads up!
i will be raiding these states in 2015. cheesy

I asked for the benefits still to get any. You said its to prove the ability of the man to care for his family and I said paying bride price is no guarantee he can and will always provide for his family

it's no guarantee but it's better than having nothing at all to prove ones self. the tradition shouldn't be knocked off because greedy people are abusing it.

Kachisbarbie:

Umuadas different o nne.
My own dem dey take everything...lolz

hahahaha
chillis - are you reading the above? grin
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 30, 2014
coogar:

thanks for the heads up!
i will be raiding these states in 2015. cheesy
it's no guarantee but it's better than having nothing at all to prove ones self. the tradition shouldn't be knocked off because greedy people are abusing it.
hahahaha
chillis - are you reading the above? grin

Come oh but only with honorable intentions, our babes can fine plenty but we no dey hear word lol
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by crackhaus: 2:46pm On Dec 30, 2014
I think it should be stopped, I want it banned, it should be abolished, blah blah blah...yadda yadda yadda.

What are women who don't like the idea of 'bride-price doing about it?
The women who fought for emancipation and equality in the west, went from street to street carrying banners and placards - they organized rallies and conventions at the grassroot level.
Even here in Nigeria, the likes of Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti and Margaret Ekpo led and organized women into groups calling for their rights to be heard and allowed to hold government positions, they did this via rallies and street walks like their western counterparts.

It is not about what you want, or what you would like - what have you done or plan to do about it?

3 Likes

Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by crackhaus: 2:49pm On Dec 30, 2014
bamidele029:
Where I come from it's already been scraped, the grooms family gives gifts and the brides family equally gives gifts back but no money is collected. Some families my collect a symbolic thing like one kobo if they want to retain the cultural aspect . The reason is we believe that daughters are not goods to be sold, I know of other towns in my tribe who do the same . Even when funding the wedding, both families contribute. I think the change came about because the women asked for it to be stopped , any little argument and the man will be talking about how he paid so and so for her undecided no more of that, all anyone is interested it that you look after their child. I will follow the same part, I don't need your money just prove to me that you love my daughter .

Interesting, the bride's family also give gifts...

Pardon my asking, but where are you from?
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 30, 2014
@aisha2, funny enuf I don't know that the north do anything at all as per this marriage rite issue.

In adamawa, they don't pay money but culturally do some things.
There r things one must do.

In rivers, u do something too.

Infact, I found out that some people's culture r worst than what I see in igboland.

Na dem sabi, if them like make them continue buying and selling their shildren.
Yeyelicious cultural practices.
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by bamidele029: 2:56pm On Dec 30, 2014
crackhaus:

Interesting, the bride's family also give gifts...

Pardon my asking, but where are you from?

I'm from Oyo State
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Dec 30, 2014
moca:
@aisha2, funny enuf I don't know that the north do anything at all as per this marriage rite issue.
In adamawa, they don't pay money but culturally do some things.
There r things one must do.
In rivers, u do something too.
Infact, I found out that some people's culture r worst than what I see in igboland.
Na dem sabi, if them like make them continue buying and selling their shildren.
Yeyelicious cultural practices.

Adamawa and Taraba have very expensive marriage rites some parts that is, so bad that the churches are now intervening and putting blanket amount for brideprice. Some N50 like ECWA church. The box items they request can get crazy costing almost N500k. But churches and people are fighting against it, afterall thats not the only clothes the man will buy for her all her life.
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by coogar: 2:58pm On Dec 30, 2014
aisha2:

Come oh but only with honorable intentions, our babes can fine plenty but we no dey hear word lol

mating is a honourable intention, no? cheesy
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 30, 2014
ROFL. I miss kobojunkie chai
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by adebisicutie: 3:06pm On Dec 30, 2014
aisha2:

Adamawa and Taraba have very expensive marriage rites some parts that is, so bad that the churches are now intervening and putting blanket amount for brideprice. Some N50 like ECWA church. The box items they request can get crazy costing almost N500k. But churches and people are fighting against it, afterall thats not the only clothes the man will buy for her all her life.

When i got married, my folks didn't collect any bride price . They gave a small list of kola nut and little things like that and when they brought their gifts my family gave them gifts in return. Apart from that my folks asked his family to put something little in an envelope then when they presented it, it was returned to them grin with my parents explaining they are not selling their daughter . Now it's more of a symbolic ceremony in most parts of Yoruba land although not sure of other tribes. We are getting their gradually
Re: Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? by crackhaus: 3:06pm On Dec 30, 2014
bamidele029:

I'm from Oyo State
I see..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

derailed topic / Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage / Nigerian Couple Welcome Baby Boy After 14 Years Of Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.