Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,415 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage (14938 Views)

2 Spoons: Wife Who Demonstrated Loyalty To Husband Gets Over ₦2M Cash Gift / My Husband Took Advantage Of My Loyalty & Trust / My Husband Trapped Me With A Rich Man To Test My Loyalty And I Failed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Curiouscity(m): 6:00pm On Apr 25, 2023
Please, I need everyone in the family section to give their view on this. There seems to be a trend in modern day marriages, where everything is about "what makes me happy ". I have a few questions
1. What is loyalty in a committed relationship like marriage?
2. Is loyalty expected in modern day marriage?
3. Can there be love without loyalty?

There is a couple going through a rough patch in their marriage. The major issue is that one of them regards outsiders' opinion more the partner's. They can discuss and sometimes agree to do something a certain way, but one person will do it the opposite way. When investigated, it will be discovered that the brothers/parent of the defaulting partner countered the couple's decisions. Yet the other partner wasn't informed.

More explicitly, the guy may tell his wife, let's do so and so. The wife will oppose it. But if another person, sometimes the husband's friend, make same suggestion, the wife will jump on that same idea, and pester the guy to do it. The couple can have a discussion that is supposed to be private, sometimes just mere couples gossip, but one way or the other, that discussion will get to the wife's family. Yet the wife keep "singing" how she loves her husband.

The examples above can be reverse, where the guy is the disloyal spouse.

4. How do you handle disloyalty between couples?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Kobojunkie: 10:52pm On Apr 25, 2023
Curiouscity:
■ Please, I need everyone in the family section to give their view on this. There seems to be a trend in modern day marriages, where everything is about "what makes me happy ". I have a few questions
1. What is loyalty in a committed relationship like marriage?
2. Is loyalty expected in modern day marriage?
3. Can there be love without loyalty?
■ There is a couple going through a rough patch in their marriage. The major issue is that one of them regards outsiders' opinion more the partner's. They can discuss and sometimes agree to do something a certain way, but one person will do it the opposite way. When investigated, it will be discovered that the brothers/parent of the defaulting partner countered the couple's decisions. Yet the other partner wasn't informed.
■ More explicitly, the guy may tell his wife, let's do so and so. The wife will oppose it. But if another person, sometimes the husband's friend, make same suggestion, the wife will jump on that same idea, and pester the guy to do it. The couple can have a discussion that is supposed to be private, sometimes just mere couples gossip, but one way or the other, that discussion will get to the wife's family. Yet the wife keep "singing" how she loves her husband. The examples above can be reverse, where the guy is the disloyal spouse.

4. How do you handle disloyalty between couples?
1. What exactly do you mean by loyalty in marriage? Do you mean the traditional idea of the woman always doing the bidding of the man because he is head of household and believes it always has to be his way? Or do you mean two partners together reaching an agreement as far as that which benefits them both in the relationship and sticking to the terms of the agreement reached in this case? undecided

2. There you have your problem. In the case, that a different approach has been suggested, the couple must then come back to the table again in order to renegotiate and reach a new agreement in that case. undecided

3. The husband and wife aren't operating as an effective team in that case. To bring them both back to the same page may I suggest professional marriage counseling because they obviously don't operate as a team should. undecided

4. A marriage is meant as an agreement between a man and a woman. When they don't both agree, they can't both work effectively for the health of the relationship. Again, I suggest professional marriage counseling. undecided

7 Likes

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Curiouscity(m): 4:07pm On Apr 27, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. What exactly do you mean by loyalty in marriage? Do you mean the traditional idea of the woman always doing the bidding of the man because he is head of household and believes it always has to be his way? Or do you mean two partners together reaching an agreement as far as that which benefits them both in the relationship and sticking to the terms of the agreement reached in this case? undecided

2. There you have your problem. In the case, that a different approach has been suggested, the couple must then come back to the table again in order to renegotiate and reach a new agreement in that case. undecided

3. The husband and wife aren't operating as an effective team in that case. To bring them both back to the same page may I suggest professional marriage counseling because they obviously don't operate as a team should. undecided

4. A marriage is meant as an agreement between a man and a woman. When they don't both agree, they can't both work effectively for the health of the relationship. Again, I suggest professional marriage counseling. undecided

You seem to suggest marriage counseling for almost every marital challenges. These services though good, they don't work as silver bullets. If the partners are not willing to work things out, counseling is useless. In my opinion, a counselor serves as a guide to people willingly seeking solutions. If one person believes nothing is wrong,then there is nothing a counselor can do.
Secondly, how many professionally trained counselors do we have in Nigeria. The few we have are tainted with religious biases.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Kobojunkie: 4:12pm On Apr 27, 2023
Curiouscity:
■ You seem to suggest marriage counseling for almost every marital challenges. These services though good, they don't work as silver bullets.
■ If the partners are not willing to work things out, counseling is useless. In my opinion, a counselor serves as a guide to people willingly seeking solutions. If one person believes nothing is wrong,then there is nothing a counselor can do.
■ Secondly, how many professionally trained counselors do we have in Nigeria.
■The few we have are tainted with religious biases.
1. Marriage counseling is no silver bullet. It simply helps provide an avenue where couples experiencing communication gaps in their relationships can come to the table to properly discuss the state of their relationship and finally get on the same page as far as their future together. undecided

2. Precisely!

3. Well, there are more professional marriage counselors today than there were 10 - 20 years ago, and as time goes on, the industry will continue to grow to meet the needs of the masses is what we hope, right? undecided

4. That is why I tell people to stay the fk away from the religious nutjobs that pretend to be marriage counselors. lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Divoc19(f): 4:22pm On Apr 27, 2023
Marriage is suppose to complete you by bringing out the best in you... Not a battlefield like your scholars make you believe.

We make poor choices about anything in life marriage is not an exemption.

If you don't feel right.
Breakup.
A damaged parent can not raise sane children

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Kobojunkie: 4:28pm On Apr 27, 2023
Divoc19:
Marriage is suppose to complete you by bringing out the best in you... Not a battlefield like your scholars make you believe. We make poor choices about anything in life marriage is not an exemption.
1. So, you are of the mind that a person isn't born whole from his or her mother's womb? He/she needs to be made complete in marriage. What of those who choose the single life? Are they robots? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Divoc19(f): 4:29pm On Apr 27, 2023
There is someone out there that was created for you.

You may not understand.
But I know what am saying smiley

Kobojunkie:
1. So, you believe people weren't born whole from their mother's wombs? undecided

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Kobojunkie: 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2023
Divoc19:
■ There is someone out there that was created for you.
1. It is all these nonsense lies we feed ourselves that cause a lot of the problems folks have in relationships abeg! undecided

So, what happens when this person created for you turns out to be just another one of the billions of arseholes walking on the earth? Do you remain attached to the eejit because you need to be completed by such a one then? undecided

7 Likes

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 27, 2023
grin
Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Benjaniblinks(m): 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2023
embarassed
Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by sukkot: 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2023
that thing called loyalty is by the grace of GOD. naturally nobody is loyal after see finish

3 Likes

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by money121(m): 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2023
Ok
Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by NobleSeed(m): 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2023
our forefathers marry 3 and some 5 wives peace ,loyalty and Love was never an issue.
But This dispensation of women even when you marry one, men no dey live Long again 🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️

4 Likes

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Favourite39(f): 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2023
Really
Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by SultanOfAbia: 4:49pm On Apr 27, 2023
Ok
Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by IyaTola: 4:50pm On Apr 27, 2023
grin
It can be a long answer but i’ll try to keep it as short AP.

I am of course a male.

While doing Engineering in an IIT i got proposed by a girl from a different college who attended our fest. It was a yes from me and slowly i fell in ‘love’ with that girl. ‘love’ because, gradually, it became a very important thing to me and not just a casual relationship. I had never ever been in a relationship before that.

It had been just 2 months of our relation when i went home during holidays. We used to speak on the phone. But as i was at home we couldn’t talk much. One day she told me she’s going to kolkata to her aunt’s place. Christmas time. What problem could i have in that. Time was good. After my vacations were over i went to meet her. We decided to meet in kolkata only. We booked a room. i was a simple lad from a ‘sanskari’ background and couldn’t think about having physical intimacy with her while we were alone in that room. Friendly chat was going on when someone rang the room bell. I came outside to see. It was a guy and was very angry. I came to know that he is her BF. He had come to know that she’s here to spend the night with another guy(me) in a hotel room. He was a localite and could have easily crushed me down and there. But he could make out that i had no idea what was going on. I also came to know that when she told me about going to her aunt’s place she was actually staying with this guy in a hotel.

Very disheartning. Very painful. Lies and cheating in a relationship are very painful. What happened for the next two months is a huge drama and has no place in this answer.

SO, this is a woman cheating.

When heart broken and depressed, i was trying to get my life back on track another girl came in my life, who gave me a lot of support. She was a girl from my college only. Things went well between us and we used to hang out a lot. Life suddenly became more beautiful. I realised that being with the wrong person doesn’t mean all are bad. I thought relationships are good. I had started hating girls but now that was over.

We went out on a trip. we were alone. I was also a grown up by then. Moments became intimate and we had sex. That was the next level. Yes. Really brought me close to her. On our second trip while we were in a room and after dinner i was just feeling cosy with her in bed she got a call. She avoided it. It happened many times. I asked her whats the matter, but she asked me to ignore it. OK. Next day while she was not around her cell phone rang. I picked up the call. It was her sister. She didnt know me and i didnt know her either. I told her sister that i am her friend. And her sister said - tell her that her BF is getting really worried about her. She’s not picking up the calls since last night. Goddammit. Cant explain what was going through in my life. on asking for explanation i came to know that she had been in a relationship with him for past 4 years! And intends to get married to him.

She gave me a lot of explanations which may seem genuine to people but as far as i am concerned there is no excuse to cheating whether in a relationship or some other thing. Cheating is cheating.

So, the second woman cheating.

Having had experiences like these i can easily ask that why do women cheat??

But that would not be wise enough of me. People cheat. And explanation is not that they cheat because they need emotional or physical support. They cheat because they don’t have any morals. They cheat because they don’t have self respect. Those people who don’t have self respect have nothing in life. And the problem is, most people these days don’t have self respect and morals. Going against values is the fashion these days. May be, that makes you modern. But that is also taking away faith from humanity.
Copied!

2 Likes

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by theophorus(m): 4:50pm On Apr 27, 2023
Marriage dey very complex ooo and Women dey very funny and a lot of patience is needed to live with them.

The facts that one of the partners seems not to listen to the other does not mean they should split but rather the affected partner should make necessary adjustments.

Loyalty is not a function of what makes me Happy but the facts of Commitment to together forever.

2 Likes

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Nobody: 4:50pm On Apr 27, 2023
grin Are you talking about DNA grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Kounlekuti(m): 4:50pm On Apr 27, 2023
Omo interesting
Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by nairaland2: 4:51pm On Apr 27, 2023
Kobojunkie:

This is the problem with supposed "woke" people,

Most times they get it all wrong in a very long statement.

Your wife should never be termed your partner in equal terms,
A man is the Head of the family and a woman should play the supportive league and should be kept at that.

6 Likes

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Maynman: 4:52pm On Apr 27, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. It is all these nonsense lies we feed ourselves that cause a lot of the problems folks have in relationships abeg! undecided

So, what happens when this person created for you turns out to be just another one of the billions of arseholes walking on the earth? Do you remain attached to the eejit because you need to be completed by such a one then? undecided

What if he doesn’t turn out to be another arsehole?
Why you so negative and unhappy everytime?

4 Likes

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by bigdammyj: 4:52pm On Apr 27, 2023
Reading...
Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Agrocharcoal52: 4:52pm On Apr 27, 2023
X
Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Kobojunkie: 4:54pm On Apr 27, 2023
Adejobiad:
For this modern day marriage, everybody na boss
Why should anyone be slave to another? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Dtruthspeaker: 4:54pm On Apr 27, 2023
People are not even loyal, so how can they be loyal to another?
Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by IyaTola: 4:54pm On Apr 27, 2023
To a large extent with women loyalty is made not found.

Yes, women are hypergamous. No doubt about that.

Your girlfriend isn't looking for the PERFECT man. Trust me, she isn't. Somewhere out there on Planet Earth, there's a man better than you in every single way:

He's smarter than you
He's better looking than you
He's more charming than you
He's better with women than you
He has a better career than you
He's wealthier than you
He's cooler than you
... and all the rest. But this guy's virtually no threat to you if you run your relationship right.

Because women can be loyal under certain circumstances.

What selection factors to look for are:

Her moral foundations: according to research, whether she’s on the liberal or the conservative side of things, and how far on either side she is, comes down to about 53% genes, 47% experiences. So while this is somewhat changeable, to a certain extent it is inborn. Her values can be twisted, but not wholly uprooted and replaced.

Her upbringing: if she was brought up in a household that valued loyalty highly, or, conversely, a household where everyone was disloyal, this will have impact her later in life. Most especially, if her upbringing led to any personality disorders (particularly of the Cluster B variety), you can expect her base level loyalty to be much lower.

Her past history: aside from genes and upbringing, her past matters: what she does, what paths she embarks on, and what experiences she partakes in as she goes through her life have a huge impact on her tendency and capacity to stay loyal in the future. Things like romantic history, how many partners she’s had, and whether she’s had good experiences trying out new people and new things or she’s had bad experiences all influence this.

Her current opportunities: a woman with more opportunities (financial, romantic, sexual) is going to be less loyal by default. The easier it is for her to slip away and the greater the rewards are for her doing so, the less likely she is to care much about loyalty.

Misc: Suitable Male to Female ratio, what her girlfriends do, dominant cultural ideology of the times, she stays away from getting too close to other men, her sub cultures etc.

Yet there is much more to female loyalty than a woman’s foundational values coming in. The most crucial aspect of all is this: for a woman to be loyal, her loyalty must be activated by a man. And simply being ‘her man’ is not engagement enough. For a woman, it’s not about what title you hold, be that friend, lover, boyfriend, consort, husband, paramour, etc. It is about the connection.

Let’s look at a few scenarios:

A woman enters a relationship with a man. He starts out as a ‘placeholder boyfriend’ for her; he’s just there so she doesn’t have to be single. But she gets complacent over time and doesn’t meet anyone better, so stays on with him.

Another woman enters a relationship with another man. She agrees to date him after he pursues her for a while and she at last relents and goes out with him. In the relationship, she usually gets her way, with him bending to please her and do what she asks him to do.

A third woman enters a relationship with a third man. The relationship starts off as essentially a casual sexual relationship. Yet the sex is great and the man is strong. She quickly invests heavily in the man and the relationship, even as he continuously avoids commitment points. Not far into the relationship, he makes clear that he expects loyalty out of her, or he will replace her.

A fourth man starts dating a girl, and runs straight up love-vendor game. He loads her up with orgasms and romanticness, then makes her buy things for him and accept things in the relationship she thought she’d never accept. As she goes along, she finds herself immersed in a sea of charged romantic emotion when she complies, and quickly deserted and watching all her investment disappear if she does not.

From a distance though, you can see the way things actually are: different men, who run their relationships in different ways, with a different power balance in the relationship, achieve very different results.

The items that precipitate disloyalty in general and cheating in particular are the same for both:

You start to act too weak, needy, jealous, unmanly, etc.
You become neglectful or overly untrustworthy/disloyal yourself
Your girl stops feeling like this relationship is going anywhere
It’s a bell-curve—all human potential and so the loyalty kind of does relys on the fact that at the bulk end most men are only marginally better than others at best but on the tail ends are vast differences in all scales of human abilities: IQ, Wealth, Strength etc. Such a man if he shows interest in your woman… But due to the rule of to each his own that man probably won’t be interested in your girl so much over ones that are unattached.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Kobojunkie: 4:54pm On Apr 27, 2023
sukkot:
that thing called loyalty is by the grace of GOD. naturally nobody is loyal after see finish
God no send anyone loyalty in marriage. Let's leave His mention out of these discussions abeg! lipsrsealed
Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by Kobicove(m): 4:56pm On Apr 27, 2023
Marriage these days is about self interest!
Re: Loyalty In Modern Day Marriage by ManWater: 4:58pm On Apr 27, 2023
Fact is, marriage requires great deal of tolerance from either of the parties or both.
There is really no quick fix for most issues in marriage.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Deep Freezer Decision.. Please Help. / Why Do Poor People Have So Many Kids / The Future Of Male Birth Control ;D

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.