Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

Advice On How To Love Him Please - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Advice On How To Love Him Please (1209 Views)

Another Nigerian Girl Shares After Sex Photo With Boyfriend, Says "I Love Him" / I Love Him But He's A Barber / Tell Him I Love Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On How To Love Him Please by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 01, 2015
November 2012, my mom came visiting and she told me about a son of her former colleague who she’ll like me to meet ( for marriage purposes). I wasn’t particularly excited because I’d just come off a relationship that left me totally broken and disgusted about dating men. Anyway, I still travelled home the following weekend to be a good girl.
I met the guy and like i feared, i wasn’t interested. First off, dude told me same day that he wants a relatonship that will led to marriage. I told him that we will need to be friends basically, know ourselves for compactibility and perhaps develop feelings for each other. Deep down, i just didn’t like him for no concrete reason.
He called a couple of times and our discussions were boring and tiring. I’m a pretty jovial girl and can keep a convo going but with this guy, it was always a task. i make a joke on whatsapp and i have to explain the joke. I use a smiley and i need to explain the meaning. I use basic abbreviations and i must explain. Trust me, it was a task chatting with him. Calls wasn’t any better cause we’ll stay on the line for minutes quiet cause there was nothing interesting to talk about. Getting to know him was more like a question-answer session.
I told my mom the dude was a bore and i didn;t see any reason to like him let alone love. I also told the guy i wasn’t interested in any marriage talks with him cause there was no basis for even friendship.
Fast foward to around September 2013. Same dude called me from Ireland and i was pretty surprised. We got talking again and it was still the same marry me marry me talk. I told him same thing, ‘’ i dont know you enough to want to marry you’’. We aren’t even common friends!! All i know is that my folks know his family, they’re christains with a good background and his cousins who are my parents neighbours say he’s a good guy.
Fast forward to October 2014. Dude called again and i decided to give him a chance. we’ve been on&off and i’ve been trying to LIKE HIM to no avail. He doesn’t talk much which makes communication a bit hard. He appears responsible, has good values, talks like someone who has read lots of books on marriage( i have too) but he lacks any sense of humour and doesn’t excite me to talk to.i don’t know how he acts when angry, if he’ll help with chores, if he’s truly kind and caring. He sounds all goody goody on the phone as that is our only means of communication for now. I am 29, working and the guy is 34 schooling& on part time job in Ireland.
just recently, he told me he’d be done with his masters program in March 2015 and will like us to settle down by April when he comes back to Nigeria. I pushed the idea aside cause my love button for him hasn’t been activated. Everytime he talks about wedding plans, i change the topic and i’m beginning to feel sorry for him. It’s been 2 years counting and we haven’t made much head way. I can’t even say why i want to marry him if i’m asked. I can’t say i love him.
I want to love this guy but don’t know how to. I want to develop basic chemistry for him. I told him about my former relationship that ended awfully 2 years ago and he thinks that maybe the reason why i’m cold towards him in particular because he wants to be serious with me. I have cordial relationships with other guys who i enjoy talking to instead but don’t know why this guy’s own is different.

Please i need tips on how to get to love this guy so that the marriage will work and be interesting if i eventually agree to his request. My folks like this guy cause they know his family and background and they want me to accept him. I want to but i really don’t have feelings for him. My mom says it’s possible i’ll love him after wedding and that love grows but it sounds weird. I don’t want to get married for the sake of it even though i’m not young.
PS- i used another username to protect myself. Many thanks to everyone who will be patient enough to read my long post and advice me likewise.
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by kaima1984(f): 10:35pm On Jan 01, 2015
Have u told him wat he lack as a frd ?open up to him,tell him d things u expected of him

1 Like

Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by sholikay(m): 11:53pm On Jan 01, 2015
Emotionally u dnt like him,talkles of loving him..u better dnt force to love him,based on ur friends wish or his background,marriage is nt a joke stuff..dere must be mutual feelings 4 it to work..try tel dat guy to work on himself.he does nt av d key to ur heart,bt wants to force himself in.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by basille(m): 12:32am On Jan 02, 2015
You can't give what you don't have.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by ifoundmyperfect: 12:52am On Jan 02, 2015
One doesn't learn to love but grow to love.
Its archaic for your mom hooking you up and expecting for you guys to create spark like you are striking a piece of flint with steel. Such hookups are infrequent these days. I feel you are just being uptight and more careful at the expense of your emotions, thereby blinding your entire lovey dovey elements from loving up. 2012 to this present time is more than enough time to have healed from a sore breakup with your Ex. This guy's shortcomings as aforementioned are glaring to you coz you have refused to see the other side of him by being a little open and giving him a 'likkle' chance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for this guy. I just fear a scenario, where this guy in question is not the problem but yourself. 'Coz you failed to mention in your post what has been on with you n your love life from 2012 till date. The whole sequel appeared more like you've been loveless and having just this guy trying to create a buzz by tickling your fancy into marriage. No other suitors? If you are in need of an advise, here is mine. Loosen up! More of us have gone thru uglier heartbreaks. We sought after its silver lining and rose from there. I've been there. Right now, I've never been happier. Take a leap of faith. Allow yourself to love and be loved in return.
Lastly, comot eyez for the guy matter if you no love am. No be by force!
#My1cent

7 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 02, 2015
I think the problem is not about your family, the problem is, you kinda have this notion that this guy is a nice guy and I shouldn't lose him. So, you're trying to find a way to keep him and wriggle your way to loving him.
This is the best way to go about it. Don't wait for him bring up topics, bring something up and don't be scared about his reaction. Make him your friend first, before you start thinking about love. Throw small jibes at him, and when he's angry tell him that he gets angry too much. To be sincere, he is looking for the same common ground that you're looking but he is not finding it easy.
Ask about him, what he likes, what he hates, what makes him happy, why he likes and hates these some things, etc. When he tells you some thing he likes or hates, you throw small jibes at him in that aspect. What you're doing is, you're trying to create a common ground for you to like him as friend first.
Now, when u get that friendship first, then you move to the next step. Discuss emotional experiences with him. Tell him so much about u. Tell him to find something cute to show u. Something cool. Ask him about his innermost fears, etc. Ask him what he loves about u.
You will get to love him little by little when u do some of these things. The problem in this relationship is mainly a level ground for any conversation to take place.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by Nobody: 1:28am On Jan 02, 2015
Issokay
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by Icudkill: 2:10am On Jan 02, 2015
Why are you struggling to kindle a flame that is none existent
It's been 3yrs.. U still have no feelings for this guy. What are you holding on to. Are you desperate
U marry someone you have chemistry with. Not someone who u try to hav chemistry with.

Don't fall into the league of I must wed, lest u finish the season with alot of regrets

2 Likes

Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 02, 2015
Op u dont force love. if after 3 years you still cannot have feelings for this guy you better find love elsewhere. Forget your parents when the wedding is over you will live with the man with his baggages and weakness. Decide for yourself now. I myself I have decided my happiness comes first in marriage. My parents' is secondary
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 02, 2015
@ifoundmyperfect- i didn't date anyone from March 2012 to November 2012 when this guy came along. all through 2013, i just remained friends with guys,nothing intimate or serious. had 1 suitor then, a Witness while i'm a Catholic turned Winners. we both called it off based on this and other differences.January 2014, dated a colleague's son but not for long. had another suitor, my classmate in Uni, but let him go cause he's from the same place with my sister's former husband. it would have been a useless effort bringing him home. been technically riding solo since April 2014.
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 02, 2015
@chinziaski-thanks. i see your advice helpful
@intbizoil, icudkil, sholikay and kaima, thanks for your posts too
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by ifoundmyperfect: 9:24pm On Jan 02, 2015
princebeetee:
@ifoundmyperfect- i didn't date anyone from March 2012 to November 2012 when this guy came along. all through 2013, i just remained friends with guys,nothing intimate or serious. had 1 suitor then, a Witness while i'm a Catholic turned Winners. we both called it off based on this and other differences.January 2014, dated a colleague's son but not for long. had another suitor, my classmate in Uni, but let him go cause he's from the same place with my sister's former husband. it would have been a useless effort bringing him home. been technically riding solo since April 2014.

Okay.
You sound like well mannered n pretty nice too. I'm sure it won't be long b4 you steal the heart of someone you are also equally into.

As for the guy on your tail, I wish you all the best in your dealings with him. Since you evidently don't hold any affection for him.
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 03, 2015
You don't love him,don't force it...ts not ur mum that will live wt him.....so go for what makes u happy
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
princebeetee:
November 2012, my mom came visiting and she told me about a son of her former colleague who she’ll like me to meet ( for marriage purposes). I wasn’t particularly excited because I’d just come off a relationship that left me totally broken and disgusted about dating men. Anyway, I still travelled home the following weekend to be a good girl.
I met the guy and like i feared, i wasn’t interested. First off, dude told me same day that he wants a relatonship that will led to marriage. I told him that we will need to be friends basically, know ourselves for compactibility and perhaps develop feelings for each other. Deep down, i just didn’t like him for no concrete reason.
He called a couple of times and our discussions were boring and tiring. I’m a pretty jovial girl and can keep a convo going but with this guy, it was always a task. i make a joke on whatsapp and i have to explain the joke. I use a smiley and i need to explain the meaning. I use basic abbreviations and i must explain. Trust me, it was a task chatting with him. Calls wasn’t any better cause we’ll stay on the line for minutes quiet cause there was nothing interesting to talk about. Getting to know him was more like a question-answer session.
I told my mom the dude was a bore and i didn;t see any reason to like him let alone love. I also told the guy i wasn’t interested in any marriage talks with him cause there was no basis for even friendship.
Fast foward to around September 2013. Same dude called me from Ireland and i was pretty surprised. We got talking again and it was still the same marry me marry me talk. I told him same thing, ‘’ i dont know you enough to want to marry you’’. We aren’t even common friends!! All i know is that my folks know his family, they’re christains with a good background and his cousins who are my parents neighbours say he’s a good guy.
Fast forward to October 2014. Dude called again and i decided to give him a chance. we’ve been on&off and i’ve been trying to LIKE HIM to no avail. He doesn’t talk much which makes communication a bit hard. He appears responsible, has good values, talks like someone who has read lots of books on marriage( i have too) but he lacks any sense of humour and doesn’t excite me to talk to.i don’t know how he acts when angry, if he’ll help with chores, if he’s truly kind and caring. He sounds all goody goody on the phone as that is our only means of communication for now. I am 29, working and the guy is 34 schooling& on part time job in Ireland.
just recently, he told me he’d be done with his masters program in March 2015 and will like us to settle down by April when he comes back to Nigeria. I pushed the idea aside cause my love button for him hasn’t been activated. Everytime he talks about wedding plans, i change the topic and i’m beginning to feel sorry for him. It’s been 2 years counting and we haven’t made much head way. I can’t even say why i want to marry him if i’m asked. I can’t say i love him.
I want to love this guy but don’t know how to. I want to develop basic chemistry for him. I told him about my former relationship that ended awfully 2 years ago and he thinks that maybe the reason why i’m cold towards him in particular because he wants to be serious with me. I have cordial relationships with other guys who i enjoy talking to instead but don’t know why this guy’s own is different.

Please i need tips on how to get to love this guy so that the marriage will work and be interesting if i eventually agree to his request. My folks like this guy cause they know his family and background and they want me to accept him. I want to but i really don’t have feelings for him. My mom says it’s possible i’ll love him after wedding and that love grows but it sounds weird. I don’t want to get married for the sake of it even though i’m not young.
PS- i used another username to protect myself. Many thanks to everyone who will be patient enough to read my long post and advice me likewise.

The simple truth is that you are carried away cos he called from Ireland. That's why you are seeking advice to develop chemistry for someone you do not love. Nigerian women and their fish brains!

Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 03, 2015
[quote author=ifynairaland post=29459709][/quote]The simple truth is that you are carried away cos he called from Ireland. That's why you are seeking advice to develop chemistry for someone you do not love. Nigerian women and their fish brains!
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by kushsy: 8:40pm On Jan 03, 2015
Babe,forget it,after all ds while u can't love him don't force yourself cos he lives or schooled in ireland..
@29 though u r matured but be patient cos a loveless marriage na hell oh
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by tosomaju(m): 9:08pm On Jan 03, 2015
You have gotten lot of lovely advise.
True love hits you when you are not looking out for it. With the "marriage first before friendship" and "relationship before contact" arrangement between you and this guy, which makes it a backward reaction couple with the advanced ages of you guys, the harder you try to love each other the difficult it might be cos you have remove one important element in the chemical reaction which is "fall". You fall in love, you don't force in love.
Don't restrict your heart to this guy, open you heart to love.
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by chadnezzar0worl(m): 3:53pm On Jan 04, 2015
You sound smart intelligent and comely! Marriage is enough bumpy ride on its own, then why do you want to complicate it further by going in with someone whom you can't naturally develop a chemistry with over three years ! If its not there its not there, u can't feign it for long, u can't force it! It comes naturally for those who desire to be real! Or probably you guys did not develop because you met him with the impression he was looking for a wife, and so ur natural female defence cropped up, just keep an open mind when chatting with him, ND talk less about marriage, also keep an open mind bout guys, ND stop jumping into relationships and jumping out in the name of searching for the right one, not forgetting being prayerful as well!
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2015
chinziaski:
To be sincere, he is looking for the same common ground that you're looking but he is not finding it easy.
OP, there you go! 100% true. He's definitely also looking for that common ground with you, but can't find it. Best bet is to stay away from this relationship that seemingly has no sparks between you two.
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by Chizzy20(f): 5:03pm On Jan 04, 2015
Op u ve bin wit dis guy for 2 yrs nd still no spark my dear u dont force luv its cums naturally, i think its beta u stop givin d guy any form of hope so u guys can go seprate ways if d luv isnt dere nd dont b pressured by any1 into gettin into sumtyn u dont want cos u myt end up regrettin lata. Jst live ur life nd trust God ur mr right wil definently cum along.
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by bettiesofttouch(f): 6:30pm On Jan 04, 2015
Pls don't force urself 2 luv him. Since he'll b bk in march ask 4 lil more time so u can get 2 knw him better bt if tins don't work out, pls have a rethink abt d marriage issue
Re: Advice On How To Love Him Please by Eberex(m): 6:33pm On Jan 04, 2015
Don't get married on sympathy

(1) (Reply)

10 Women Behaviour That Annoy Men. / Coca Cola Says Stick To A Partner (pics) / LADIES: Your thoughts on expensive brideprice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.