Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,001 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation (4716 Views)

Democracy Day Scorecard: Top 5 Best Governors! / Flash Back December 2014....GEJ / President Buhari Presents 10-Months Scorecard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by LRNZH(m): 8:39am On Jan 03, 2015

Last year, 2014, has become another 365 days of failed promises of the Federal Government as far as the power sector is concerned.

Even though the year was one in which Nigerians expected a rapid improvement in the power problems of the country as a result of the privatisation which was supposed to be a pivot of the reforms in the sector, it seemed the situation only took a turn for the worse.

It will be recalled that President Goodluck Jonathan made a bold promise of rapid improvement in August 2010, few months after taking over from the then President, Umaru Yar’Adua, when he launched the Road Map for Power Sector Reform.

“In the medium term (up to December 2013), we can expect a modest increase in the total power generation capacity of the existing Power Holding Company of Nigeria power stations (which would bring the total to just under 4,500MW); the addition of 4,775 MW from the NIPP plants; and a substantial (3,300 MW) increase in power generation capacity from IPPs all by December 2013. As such, the medium term expectation is that 14,000 MW of power generation capacity will be available by December 2013,” a compendium of the roadmap states.

The President also said in his Transformation Agenda, “For the first time since 1960, the country has a comprehensive and realistic plan for resolving Nigeria’s electric power crisis, identifying requirements to achieve stable power supply in the entire value chain from gas to generation, to transmission and distribution.

“By the end of 2014, over 6,000MW would have been generated by Independent Power Producers such as Dangote, Lafarge, Notore, Supertek, Geometric Power, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, TotalFina, Hudson Power, Agip, Negris and Mabon Electric.”

However, instead of this, the worsening of the power situation in 2014 has been unprecedented.

According to the third quarter economic report of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Nigeria lost 350 megawatts per hour of generated electricity during the period bringing down the earlier 3250MW of electricity being generated to 2,900MW.

The estimated average electricity generation was said to have plummeted by 10.8 per cent, compared with the level attained in the second quarter of 2014.The country’s power generation fell from about 4,600MW, which was attained earlier in November, to about 3,600MW.

The decline in electricity consumption was attributed to the fall in power generation, transmission and distribution.

This record of unfulfilled promises has continued to rile consumers who feel that the government has simply not done enough.

A consumer, Mr. Sunday Umah, wrote on PUNCH’s website, “Total expenses on power sector since 1999 now stands at $154bn. This is massive and extremely higher than the £5bn pounds the UK power firm expended in 2010 to generate extra 30,000MW.

“Nigeria will never attain its goals until we have a very responsible government who will truly fight corruption and diversify our economy. If the government continues to be run in the present way, we stand no chance to survive, as we are on the way to joining the league of Zimbabweans who will carry cash in wheel barrow to purchase a loaf of bread.”

More readers who commented on PUNCH’s website on the power situation in the country, expressed the same pessimism about the government’s sincerity.

“Excuses, excuses and more excuses. If Nigeria received a penny for each of the excuses given for why things don’t work, it will have enough cash to offset the shortfall in the crude oil price slump. We are headed nowhere,” a reader, Ben, said.

http://www.punchng.com/feature/power-talkback/2014-year-of-failed-promises-on-power/
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by Validated: 8:41am On Jan 03, 2015
Op, Forget power first, we are looking for Buhari certificate
Please did you see it tongue

2 Likes

Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by stanogb(m): 8:46am On Jan 03, 2015
Please stop decieving yourself, this is falacy of argumentum ad ignoratiam, there has been 80 percent improvement in the power sector for about 6 Months now. Swear now that there has been no improvement in power generation in your house. Destructive critics everywhere.
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by Nobody: 8:50am On Jan 03, 2015
this is just sad and depressing. over $100bn is it...
.... in other news, it seems Seun and his Mods are on vacation.
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by LRNZH(m): 8:53am On Jan 03, 2015
Validated:

[b]This certificate brouhaha is an attempt to refocus on frivolities. It is the most immature way to campaign in an important election judging by the pathetic state of our nation.

How many times has Buhari contested for presidency before now?

In 2011, It was under GEJ's government with Jega as umpire. They allowed him run without an eyebrow raised.

What has changed? Buhari is now the major contender and frontrunner.
Suddenly Buhari has no certificates. Because they don't want us to look at their massive failures in Power, Refineries, Corruption and Security.
If indeed Buhari has no certificates then GEJ and Jega need to resign ASAP for their incompetence since 2011.

I bet you everyone knows Buhari went to the prestigious military academies as claimed. Disqualify him let's see how it will turn out.

Infact, an illiterate Buhari is more competent than GEJ judging by their past antecedents and performance.

If you're not current, 2015 is promised to be an issues based campaign and I plan to stick to that.

Goodluck in your "certificates will think for and govern us" quest. [/b]

5 Likes

Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by LRNZH(m): 9:29am On Jan 03, 2015
shyna01:
this is just sad and depressing. over $100bn is it...
.... in other news, it seems Seun and his Mods are on vacation.

I gather the unspoken rule is to send 'em a note recommending the article for FP.
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by Nobody: 9:40am On Jan 03, 2015
LRNZH:

I gather the unspoken rule is to send 'em a note recommending the article for FP.
I actually doubt they'll allow this to make FP.
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by Nobody: 9:45am On Jan 03, 2015
stanogb:
Please stop decieving yourself, this is falacy of argumentum ad ignoratiam, there has been 80 percent improvement in the power sector for about 6 Months now. Swear now that there has been no improvement in power generation in your house. Destructive critics everywhere.
Young man stop lying. 80% improvement would mean we're producing about 12000MW but we still produce a mere 4000MW. U are enjoying light cos U are just a beneficiary of bad electricity distribution. SIMPLE

1 Like

Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by LRNZH(m): 9:56am On Jan 03, 2015
HugeCock:
Young man stop lying. 80% improvement would mean we're producing about 12000MW but we still produce a mere 4000MW. U are enjoying light cos U are just a beneficiary of bad electricity distribution. SIMPLE

There you go.
They lie on easily verifiable points.
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by decode55(m): 9:58am On Jan 03, 2015
LRNZH:

[b]This certificate brouhaha is an attempt to refocus on frivolities. It is the most immature way to campaign in an important election judging by the pathetic state of our nation.

In 2011, It was under GEJ's government with Jega as umpire. They allowed him run without an eyebrow raised.

Suddenly Buhari has no certificates. Because they don't want us to look at their massive failures in Power, Refineries, Corruption and Security.
If indeed Buhari has no certificates then GEJ and Jega need to resign ASAP for their incompetence since 2011.

I bet you everyone knows Buhari went to the prestigious military academies as claimed. Disqualify him let's see how it will turn out.

Infact, an illiterate Buhari is more competent than GEJ judging by their past antecedents and performance.

If you're not current, 2015 is promised to be an issues based campaign and I plan to stick to that.

Instead of you to help in looking for your illiterate leader's certificate you're here writing this long epistle

APC people sef undecided undecided
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by LRNZH(m): 10:11am On Jan 03, 2015
decode55:

Instead of you to help in looking for your illiterate leader's certificate you're here writing this long epistle

So if you see GMB's originals, your current light, insecurity and hunger problems will go away abi?

As for me, we should even grant GMB executive waivers. The guy is a performer and is not corrupt. He's the most patriotic Nigerian alive today.

Look where GEJ's PhD in Zoology got us. 2900 Mw!!!.

Please focus on the issues.

1 Like

Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by ItsMeAboki(m): 10:29am On Jan 03, 2015
LEST NOT FORGET IN HIS OWN WORDS:

2 Shares

Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by LRNZH(m): 10:36am On Jan 03, 2015
ItsMeAboki:
LEST NOT FORGET IN HIS OWN WORDS:

Gbam.

1 Like

Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by Boss13: 10:54am On Jan 03, 2015
stanogb:

I swear. I stay in Lekki Lagos and for the past one year, my 4 power generating plants have provided me with power more constantly than the one promised by president Jonathan and his minister of power
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by decode55(m): 11:11am On Jan 03, 2015
LRNZH:

So if you see GMB's originals, your current light, insecurity and hunger problems will go away abi?

As for me, we should even grant GMB executive waivers. The guy is a performer and is not corrupt. He's the most patriotic Nigerian alive today.

lies from the pit of hell!

**spits

I have more patriotism in my little toe than Buhari has in his entire lineage!

Serial loser
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by blackfase(m): 11:11am On Jan 03, 2015
No light for our yard now for 3 straight wks. That one nko?. Bastards, the whole lot of them......help us tell the fringing liars

HugeCock:
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by LRNZH(m): 11:26am On Jan 03, 2015
LRNZH:

decode55:

LRNZH:

decode55:

lies from the pit of hell!

**spits

I have more patriotism in my little toe than Buhari has in his entire lineage!

Serial loser

Bros,

Just Look up this exchange.
Eziokwu, I dey shame for you.
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by jamace(m): 12:28pm On Jan 03, 2015
Validated:
Yes o. grin grin
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by LRNZH(m): 12:49pm On Jan 03, 2015
I wonder though, why don't PDP supporters campaign on issues?

Must be a major Achilles heel.

1 Like

Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by otokx(m): 12:50pm On Jan 03, 2015
stanogb:

Has there been an 80% improvement in power generation?
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by LRNZH(m): 1:32pm On Jan 03, 2015
otokx:

Has there been an 80% improvement in power generation?

Yesso according to TANoids.

grin cheesy grin
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by Yeske2(m): 10:39pm On Feb 19, 2015
Getting worse everyday
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by blackfase(m): 10:41pm On Feb 19, 2015
Yeske2:
Getting worse everyday
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by LRNZH(m): 6:36am On Feb 20, 2015
Yeske2:
Getting worse everyday

Of course.
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by omenka(m): 6:49am On Feb 20, 2015
I've never had it so bad in my area. We get less than 4hrs supply daily!! I think the entire power sector is comatose. Jonathan sold the damn thing to himself and his cronies all using "multinational" fronts. Now they can't deliver on their pledges, be it in generation or transmission; everything is just dead!

Whenever I see someone supporting this government I just feel there some screws loose in such a person's head honestly.

2 Likes

Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by LRNZH(m): 6:54am On Feb 20, 2015
omenka:
I've never had it so bad in my area. We get less than 4hrs supply daily!! I think the entire power sector is comatose. Jonathan sold the damn thing to himself and his cronies all using "multinational" fronts. Now they can't deliver on their pledges, be it in generation or transmission; everything is just dead!
Whenever I see someone supporting this government I just feel there some screws loose in such a person's head honestly.
Remember Jerry Gana donated about N4Billion to GEJ's campaign on behalf of the power sector players. That was the greatest insult of 2014 to Nigerians.

With such moribund sector, I can't believe that they have monies to throw around on a frivolous campaign. No wonder GEJ is being stoned left, right and centre.
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by jorlons(m): 7:24am On Feb 20, 2015
only shortsighted folks will support this administration.

I mean I get really angry when I hear them say there has been an improvement in power and I'm wondering like where is this power channeled to?

This record of unfulfilled promises has continued to rile consumers who feel that the government has simply not done enough.
A consumer, Mr. Sunday Umah, wrote on PUNCH’s website, “Total expenses on power sector since 1999 now stands at $154bn. This is massive and extremely higher than the £5bn pounds the UK power firm expended in 2010 to generate extra 30,000MW.

Like I said in one of my post in a power related thread. This feat of adding 2,000 -10,000 MW is not a diff thing to achieve for a honest govt. All it requires are the resources , the competent power firm to handle the project and the judicious allocation of the resources. It's almost similar to buying more than one generator in your house when your electricity demand increases
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by omoalaro: 8:37am On Feb 20, 2015
Broken promises everywhere.
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by LRNZH(m): 8:45am On Feb 20, 2015
This is a weeping matter
Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by AyoolaIgwe(m): 12:17pm On Apr 02, 2016
omenka:

guy, una get better light now? today is 02/04/2016. U'll recall dat baba buhari has been President since May, 2015.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by BushidoBlue(m): 8:36pm On Apr 02, 2016
AyoolaIgwe:

guy, una get better light now? today is 02/04/2016. U'll recall dat baba buhari has been President since May, 2015.

Heheheheheheheeeee.....

Zombie Chainment...

1 Like

Re: 2014: GEJ's Failed Scorecard On Power Generation by drss(m): 8:47pm On Apr 02, 2016
omenka:

i wonda wetin dis one ^^^ go talk on buari's recent guiness book of records as d first zoo leader to generate zero mw sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Let Us Boycott Oil From SE And SS And Save The Shame / The Ultimatum To Leave The North Affects Even The South / Nigeria At 59: To Jubilate Or To Ruminate By Cephas Kadiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.