Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND (41347 Views)

8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND / Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by samuelson06(m): 6:05pm On Jan 03, 2015
Adaobi12:
Social works? in this country of ours?. bros you for carry church mind and advice this young lad to for Agriculture, cos from the look of things , Agriculture will be a hot cake in this country very soon. since our oil had failed us.

For us in NGO, Social Work/Sociology is hot cake that was why I tip in that Volunteer work for him to start from. I know what am saying. The main problem is that there is no much good courses in Art. That Agric you suggested would need Physics/Chemistry.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 03, 2015
despite dat am a Bsc holder I sil prefer the polythenic anytime!

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by DrFunmi(f): 6:08pm On Jan 03, 2015
pinkiepetite:
despite dat am a Bsc holder I sil prefer the polythenic anytime!
Are you sure you aren't an HND holder fronting as a BSc holder?

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by lamborghinifcb(m): 6:10pm On Jan 03, 2015
well I fink I can say a little bout dis considering d fact dat I had my nd certificate n ilaro poly and nau in d procez of getn my bsc n oou...dat sed I fink d discrimination z al down to d government...poly stdnts are vastly advanced in practicals dan dier university counterparts...tho it mzt b sed evn tho ts somtymz difficult 4 me to accept yl I was in ilaro dat majority of poly students v a problem @ one point in gaining admixn n2 uni and dats y dey fnd dem sef n poly nau including me den(if a census z conducted round d nationwide sec zkulz m pweery sure we ll hardly find 5...I repeat 5! dat ll tel u his or er dream zkul wen he z outta sec zkul z to go 2 poly....hell NO!!!)....bhet den we av "gurus" n poly as well o...ur certificate doesn't determine where u gt ti in life o.....dnt forget Amosun finizhd frm a poly (mapoly)... zo if u find ursef n poly system, don't feel hopeless!!!! d only fin I hate bout poly z d issue of it and avin to com bak 4 hnd exam which z nt evn 100% sure and den avin anoda matrik.....wats dat 4? I fink zomfin nid to b don bout dat....dat sed am proud to av graduated frm a polytechnic and am also proud to b pursuing mai bsc nau...AM A PROUD FPITE!!!!! AM A PROUD OOUITE!!!!!

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by stupor(m): 6:14pm On Jan 03, 2015
johnson4nosa:
. u are insane.. quote me any day and any time

I guess including his cohorts !
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jan 03, 2015
DrFunmi:

Are you sure you aren't an HND holder fronting as a BSc holder?
would just pretend I dint see your quote
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by kayusbrown(m): 6:27pm On Jan 03, 2015
DrFunmi:

You got it all wrong. I didn't put this up to trigger argument. I just wanted to state some obvious hard truth. I wish both BSc and HND holders the best of 2015.

Modified: 1 forgot to add this point:

9 Worth of certificate - the BSc certificate is more valuable than the HND certificate. An HND holder requires a PGD to further his Postgraduate studies even if the holder has a distinction. On the other hand, a BSc holder can directly enrol for MSc or PhD without any hurdle. HND is equivalent to an associate degree in the USA and will require additional courses to be accepted in foreign institution. A BSc holder in Nigeria faces no such barrier.

On the worth of certificate, PGD is required for further studies only in Nigeria. The admission of HND holders into Postgraduate Diploma programme while at the same time maintaining that HND is not equivalent to a bachelor's degree further exposes the hypocrisy of our educational policy. As for the USA, your assertion exposes you as ignorant of the realities like someone earlier opined. All academic qualifications obtained outside the US must pass through an evaluation process by a recognized credentials evaluation agency before they become tenable for postgraduate studies in the United States. One of such credentials evaluation agency is World Educational Services (www.wes.org). All those who I know have had their HND evaluated by WES were found eligible for direct admission to master's degree programs because their HND was found equivalent to bachelor's degree. The mistake most prospective students make when sending their HND for evaluation is sending the HND transcript alone. The HND qualification is based on the ND (a prerequisite) so both the ND and HND are evaluated together to determine the academic worth of the HND holder. It is the ND alone that is equivalent to Associate Degree in the US or BTEC-HND in the UK. So for those who are well-informed, they know the discrimination is only entrenched here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by PAnaceA7(m): 6:29pm On Jan 03, 2015
LARRYDKING:

Likewise brilliant students abound in the polys, just that many arn't lucky enough like u and me.
True
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Wisegeek01(m): 6:50pm On Jan 03, 2015
Any one you get use it to be successful,

some HNd holders are making much more money that some Msc holders,

that dosen't change anything its what you think and believe,

If you feel you must get PhD before you become successful na u sabi,

Just know this, it's what you believe in the Universe will give back to u,

Its in your mindset"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by zebra(m): 6:51pm On Jan 03, 2015
kayusbrown:

On the worth of certificate, PGD is required for further studies only in Nigeria. The admission of HND holders into Postgraduate Diploma programme while at the same time maintaining that HND is not equivalent to a bachelor's degree further exposes the hypocrisy of our educational policy. As for the USA, your assertion exposes you as ignorant of the realities like someone earlier opined. All academic qualifications obtained outside the US must pass through an evaluation process by a recognized credentials evaluation agency before they become tenable for postgraduate studies in the United States. One of such credentials evaluation agency is World Educational Services (www.wes.org). All those who I know have had their HND evaluated by WES were found eligible for direct admission to master's degree programs because their HND was found equivalent to bachelor's degree. The mistake most prospective students make when sending their HND for evaluation is sending the HND transcript alone. The HND qualification is based on the ND (a prerequisite) so both the ND and HND are evaluated together to determine the academic worth of the HND holder. It is the ND alone that is equivalent to Associate Degree in the US or BTEC-HND in the UK. So for those who are well-informed, they know the discrimination is only entrenched here.
Pls tell them. I'm so surprised that most of them are ignorant of the worth of the Nigerian ND+HND in the US based on WES evaluation.

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Tunagee(m): 7:02pm On Jan 03, 2015
tosyne2much:
Another thread that will trigger violence & enmity between both parties

OP, why not try making efforts on how to influence neighbours, friends, families & the less privileged ones with your Bsc rather than making other ppl feel less of themselves ?. Some people are seated in their offices working tiredlessly and making cool cash, you dey give urself unnecessary worry over Bsc superiority & Bsc/HND juxtaposition when there are thousands of hopeless & frustrated qualified graduates out there roaming the streets. (Well sha, you go soon enter labour market you go see say e no easy for anybody, be ye Bsc/HND)

Remember the worship & unnecessary hype of your Bsc is the beginning of joblessness

You get time sha

Bros, this is a million dollar comment. leave that guy with his stupid post

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by oluagness(m): 7:21pm On Jan 03, 2015
Deapexboy:

hahahahaah i laff in spanish

weda u are perfect or nt if u don't push in for higher degree then a Bsc holder that u are more perfect(as u claim) will earn bigger than u..infact will b ur supervisor

#the truth is bitter#

yeah, you may be the brain behind your organization, your HND is still a barrier. like someone earlier said, " a bsc on level 8 is a boss to an HND in level 14". so embarrassing. the polytechnic system is not encouraged in Nigeria, hence it should be completely eradicated.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by psalmuelwater(m): 7:45pm On Jan 03, 2015
It baffles me a lot whenever I see posts like this, this dichotomy shouldn't engulf a well meaning nigerian student because it is crystal clear that even both HND n BSC are now half baked,and for you to be able to boast of your worth outside you must have drilled your self personally. To the OP I think you'll be helping us by creating posts that will encourage better reading culture,research,and government intervention in our educational system. To the HND undergraduates like me, you'll only be intimidated when you not sure of your abilities. Am very proud to say I had resolve to attend a polytechnic since I was in Jss2,when I was having a discussion with a BSC holder then. I sat for PCE instead of UME,so tell me how will a bsc holder tell me my certificate is worthless? So,am imploring us to build our self esteem. One of my lecturer once said " if you did not get what you like, then like what you get" to those that have tried the uni's before settling to for the poly. So MR OP- both the HND and BSC needs urgent attention,and stop all this discrimination. Thanks

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jan 03, 2015
Curious......direct entry wit national diploma, can any uni giv 200level?
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by DrFunmi(f): 8:21pm On Jan 03, 2015
Omagzee:
Curious......direct entry wit national diploma, can any uni giv 200level?
Sure. That's what DE is abt. After OND, you enter into university at 200 level.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by shady26(m): 8:27pm On Jan 03, 2015
tosyne2much:
Another thread that will trigger violence & enmity between both parties

OP, why not try making efforts on how to influence neighbours, friends, families & the less privileged ones with your Bsc rather than making other ppl feel less of themselves ?. Some people are seated in their offices working tiredlessly and making cool cash, you dey give urself unnecessary worry over Bsc superiority & Bsc/HND juxtaposition when there are thousands of hopeless & frustrated qualified graduates out there roaming the streets. (Well sha, you go soon enter labour market you go see say e no easy for anybody, be ye Bsc/HND)

Remember the worship & unnecessary hype of your Bsc is the beginning of joblessness

You get time sha
uv said it all.
@OP, a certificate can jumpstart your life and the pursuit of goodliving, but thats all, the rest is up to you. someone rightly said " tertiary institutions are holding tanks for those who are yet to decide what to do with their lifes".
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by shady26(m): 8:35pm On Jan 03, 2015
unarguably the BSC is superior to not just the HND but the BTECH&BENG degrees in most of the world however in countries like france and italy, its the other way round.the ecole superiors or grand ecoles(polytechnics) are rated higher than the universities.i know cause am currently enrolling for an MSC at ISEP.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Sketch007(m): 8:41pm On Jan 03, 2015
@OP, gud enough to know u did come up wt stuff like dis, hopfully u get d alert u'v bin waitin 4 dz write up?? Mtchew !!.. We yell our country is bad n we've got bad leaders while yet it is we ourslves dts need to chnge . Here u r bashing HND holders, and should I ask, ow much av ur BSC fetched ya?? Smh.. Rather dan cheer em up n tell pple dt no mata whre d education comes 4rm, one can make it depending on their determination to succeed.. Na d mb I blame.. Lobish !!
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by tosyne2much(m): 8:48pm On Jan 03, 2015
shady26:
uv said it all.
@OP, a certificate can jumpstart your life and the pursuit of goodliving, but thats all, the rest is up to you. someone rightly said " tertiary institutions are holding tanks for those who are yet to decide what to do with their lifes".
You have spoken well my broda
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by tosyne2much(m): 8:49pm On Jan 03, 2015
Tunagee:

Bros, this is a million dollar comment. leave that guy with his stupid post
Thanks jawe boss
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by kinibigdeal(m): 8:52pm On Jan 03, 2015
Dr. Funmi, i think i have a counter thread for you www.nairaland.com/2074800/opinion-8-reasons-why-hnd
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Chigorkizz(m): 8:59pm On Jan 03, 2015
hmm
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by zebra(m): 9:10pm On Jan 03, 2015
Jelani Aliyu of General Motors USA attended a polytechnic in Nigeria and graduated with ND after turning down admission to study Architecture in a university. Nigerian polytechnics train people to be technically sound.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Mixty: 9:32pm On Jan 03, 2015
zebra:
Jelani Aliyu of General Motors USA attended a polytechnic in Nigeria and graduated with ND after turning down admission to study Architecture in a university. Nigerian polytechnics train people to be technically sound.
Stop consoling yourself. In your hearts of heart, you know that BSc is better. For every one successful HND holder, there are 1000+ successful BSc holders.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by zebra(m): 9:56pm On Jan 03, 2015
Mixty:

Stop consoling yourself. In your hearts of heart, you know that BSc is better. For every one successful HND holder, there are 1000+ successful BSc holders.
it should be about what u can do and not the paper qualification. The polytechnics train people to use their brains and hands to work. Why is it that uni graduates are always scared of their polytechnic counterparts in the same field if i may ask? I've witnessed this on several occasions. Why is it that poly graduates do better in certification exams if they were not well taught or trained? I think the uni education in Nigeria is just been over hyped by people who only have uni experience and have had nothing to do in the polytechnic before. Mind u I have passed thru both. Person wey say na him mama soup sweet pass neva taste anoda person mama own be dat.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jan 03, 2015
PAnaceA7:

True

so whr do u study?
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 03, 2015
zebra:
it should be about what u can do and not the paper qualification. The polytechnics train people to use their brains and hands to work. Why is it that uni graduates are always scared of their polytechnic counterparts in the same field if i may ask? I've witnessed this on several occasions. Why is it that poly graduates do better in certification exams if they were not well taught or trained? I think the uni education in Nigeria is just been over hyped by people who only have uni experience and have had nothing to do in the polytechnic before. Mind u I have passed thru both. Person wey say na him mama soup sweet pass neva taste anoda person mama own be dat.

Only a few of us who have passed 2ru both system can understand that the problem is due to government's insensitivity towards other tertiary institutions. I dont reli blame these ones, it's d wonky believe that has grown too strong to be cut in our society that has caused it.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Kruzilano(m): 10:41pm On Jan 03, 2015
oluagness:

yeah, you may be the brain behind your organization, your HND is still a barrier. like someone earlier said, " a bsc on level 8 is a boss to an HND in level 14". so embarrassing. the polytechnic system should be a 3years program and be treated like Nce or completely eradicated.
are u sure u aint a senior secondary school cert holder. Cos ur reasoning is like 1 with ssce
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Opey4luv(m): 10:55pm On Jan 03, 2015
Are you all aware of the fact that one of the greatest physicist in history, the super genius ya'll use his name synonymously with high intelligence quotient actually graduated from a Polytechnic after being rejected by a University.
It ain't just about the institution.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Kruzilano(m): 11:05pm On Jan 03, 2015
Gustave eiffel attended a polythecnic, albert Einstein was made in d poly....patience ozorkwu(mama g), phyno did fine nd applied art @ IMT poly enugu, even tuface did only ND @ same IMT.how many of your lecturers that parades msc nd PHD get money and fame reach em..which of nigerian uni V.C is more recognised as gustave or einstein
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by UTEWUOJO: 11:08pm On Jan 03, 2015
Hey guys, truth is always bitter, there are million & one reasons why university students are better compare to thier poly counterpat, he has said it all, am heading for poly now because universities keep on frustrating me with thier admission policies which is stiffer compare to poly, a friend of my brother dropped his HND result & secure admission into 100 level in the university to spend another four years after four years in poly owing to discrimination. HND can never be compare to Bsc.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by carik(m): 11:26pm On Jan 03, 2015
Misplaced priorities

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Shalom Academy Nsukka Student Makes 9 A1s In The Just Released WAEC. / UNN Physics Lecturer Gets Stuck In Class While Solving A Question (Photo, Video) / ‘Boniface Igbeneghu Acted So Godly On Campus’ — UNILAG Student On Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.