Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND (41370 Views)

8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND / OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND / Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by zebra(m): 12:06am On Jan 04, 2015
carik:
Misplaced priorities
That's it.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Mario100: 12:08am On Jan 04, 2015
Dats a lie.there are many polytechnics dat ar beta in terms of structure nd beauty.speak with fact broda.am nt an almamata of a polytechnic bt atleast I av come across student from polytechnics like BIDA Poly,nd YABA collage of technology ,men dis students are jst gud in terms of engineering dat d so called university students can't even compete with dem.we are all seekers of knowlegde weda poly or uni.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Popoolaoladayo(m): 12:46am On Jan 04, 2015
The university graduate is a theorist.The university graduates is a designer.Th university graduates draws the plans and the concept.But cannot bring them into being but the polytechnic graduate practicalizes.Poly graduates realizes and nurtures.THAT IS THE DIFFERRNCE.The university person designs and leaves it designed .Until it comes into functionality which is the duty of the polytechnic graduate,it is useless.SO NO ONE CAN DO ITHOUT QACH OTHER.SOMEONE HAS TO DO THE DQSIGNING AND SOMEONE HAS TO DO THE ACTUALIZATION.Kudos to gaduates who went through both theory and practical education(HND,PGD,MSC,PHD).Graduates of this standard will blend ans fit in into both arena well and job performance will be effrctive and IQ high.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by PAnaceA7(m): 1:08am On Jan 04, 2015
LARRYDKING:

so whr do u study?
Lasu... Just finished
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by samuelite40: 1:08am On Jan 04, 2015
Whether Bsc/HND, what value has it added to ones life? Education is about adding value & d certificate is d legal proof for it.

It's a shame & a disgrace that nowdays, only the certificate has dis value not the holder.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by laoma15(m): 4:10am On Jan 04, 2015
Grade 7 holder of good old days is far better than present day B.sc holder. Stop deceiving yourself with your worthless paper qualifications.

B.sc and HND are meant to be complimentary and not competitive.

Your leaders messed everything up!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by fromnigeria(m): 6:57am On Jan 04, 2015
back your points up with facts, because i still cant fathom how all eight point relate or determine the quality of student in uni or poly. In my own view it is usually individual effort that counts.
For instance, while in camp, a lady had to copy out her details ( name, address etc) on a piece of paper so she can fill out a form, Same lady finished from one nasarawa state university.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Sike(m): 7:06am On Jan 04, 2015
Wetin Dangote get abeg?
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Mixty: 7:37am On Jan 04, 2015
fromnigeria:
back your points up with facts, because i still cant fathom how all eight point relate or determine the quality of student in uni or poly. In my own view it is usually individual effort that counts.
For instance, while in camp, a lady had to copy out her details ( name, address etc) on a piece of paper so she can fill out a form, Same lady finished from one nasarawa state university.
If all that counts is individual effort, you don't need to go to school at all then. Just sit down at home and do home study.
Also, if individual effort is all that matters, why are people rushing to prestigious schools like Oxford, Cambridge, Havard, etc. Why is it that a Havard graduate is in a better position to get a good job than graduate of low class schools?
If all that counts in your effort, why didn't you choose to go to college of education then?

Some people just reason from their anus.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by DrFunmi(f): 9:14am On Jan 04, 2015
@kinibigdeal, zebra, tosyne2much, LARRYDKING

Let this e-argument end. It doesn't really matter if BSc is
superior to HND. Put in your best whichever divide you
find yourself. What matters if that both should have their
place in the society. Both holders of BSc and HND should
complement each other. That way, the society will move
forward.

I wish everyone success.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by psalmuelwater(m): 10:13am On Jan 04, 2015
Mixty:

Stop consoling yourself. In your hearts of heart, you know that BSc is better. For every one successful HND holder, there are 1000+ successful BSc holders.
. "For every 1 successful HND holder,there are 1000+ successful BSc holders" ......bros are you sure everything is OK with you? So where are d 1000+ Bsc holders oo,no b dem we dey encounter everyday? Or is it dat u can't define what success really means?

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by kasbeats(m): 11:42am On Jan 04, 2015
tosyne2much:
Fine !!! I'm an aspiring HND holder ...... Make una sit down dia dey carry Bsc for head while I keep driving my jeep grin ......

Jamb entry level or not, discrimination or not, Bsc superiority or not, it will neva change the fact you can never be successful than your destiny

Ao ti kofa nile ,ifa ti n se
Spoken like a true Polytechnic student (can't even call you undergrad,igberaga ko) ...

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by tosyne2much(m): 11:45am On Jan 04, 2015
kasbeats:

Ao ti kofa nile ,ifa ti n se
Spoken like a true Polytechnic student (can't even call you undergrad,igberaga ko) ...
ehn ehn.. How do you mean ?
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by sayyadi01(m): 12:39pm On Jan 04, 2015
As an educated someone who obtained either Bsc. or HND do not beat your chest and be proud of the name of your certificate or the name of your institution. But, be proud of the level of education or experience you've acquired during the course of your studies. I am indebted to inform you that understanding is a wisdom bestowed by Almighty God, He showers His wisdom and blessings upon whom He likes. I am currently a Corp member, I obtained an HND in Science Laboratory Technology/ Microbiology with distinction grade from Polytechnic, but one thing that surprises me when we were posted to our various PPA's was, a Bsc. holder who obtained his certificate from a renowned Nigerian university doesn't know how to fill a biodata form. When he was filling the form, there was a column provided for him to write his discipline, instead of him to write his course of study, he went ahead and wrote Bsc, degree. Now my question is, is Bsc, degree discipline
Another issue is of this Nigerian renowned university's graduate who was opportuned to got an appointment with state ministry of education as class room teacher, upon writing an acceptance letter, he pleaded to be changed to an office holder not teacher, when asked why? he replied that he could not teach what read, and remember he was taught by Internationally renowned Doctors and Professors. So my brother its all about how you can understand, assimilate and deliver not the name of your certificate or institution.

3 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by kinibigdeal(m): 12:55pm On Jan 04, 2015
sayyadi01:
As an educated someone who obtained either Bsc. or HND do not beat your chest and be proud of the name of your certificate or the name of your institution. But, be proud of the level of education or experience you've acquired during the course of your studies. I am indebted to inform you that understanding is a wisdom bestowed by Almighty God, He showers His wisdom and blessings upon whom He likes. I am currently a Corp member, I obtained an HND in Science Laboratory Technology/ Microbiology with distinction grade from Polytechnic, but one thing that surprises me when we were posted to our various PPA's was, a Bsc. holder who obtained his certificate from a renowned Nigerian university doesn't know how to fill a biodata form. When he was filling the form, there was a column provided for him to write his discipline, instead of him to write his course of study, he went ahead and wrote Bsc, degree. Now my question is, is Bsc, degree discipline
Another issue is of this Nigerian renowned university's graduate who was opportuned to got an appointment with state ministry of education as class room teacher, upon writing an acceptance letter, he pleaded to be changed to an office holder not teacher, when asked why? he replied that he could not teach what read, and remember he was taught by Internationally renowned Doctors and Professors. So my brother its all about how you can understand, assimilate and deliver not the name of your certificate or institution.

Please read, follow this links and educate some too www.nairaland.com/2074800/opinion-8-reasons-why-hnd
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Karleb(m): 1:14pm On Jan 04, 2015
Na untop this argument we still dey? Lemme sip some soda while I await the "B.sc from a federal university is superior to that of a state university" thread.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by jibs4lv(m): 1:28pm On Jan 04, 2015
hummm op pls get dis straight,u better stop intimidatin or discoragin ppl ,am also an HND holder bt never tink i can be intimidated wit ur write up cos wit my hnd i tnk god i hv achievd 85 per cent of my life dream only prayin for heaven so pls stop intimidation nd leav hnd/bsc issue,only god knws d best, millions of ppl did nt go to uni and dey make it in life even countles of illitrate dat dont even go to poly or uni.u can never tell even if u knw dat am an hnd holder if u can able to see where am presenting journals in conference,i can further prove it dat polys in various ways ar better dan unis.am opportun to be in african conference in USA last yr july,it was there i realise dat nt how far bt how well.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 04, 2015
Formal/western Education was everything until school drop out started employing Phd holders!

SME's are the key drivers of any economy be it advanced/developed, developing or peripheral ...why not key into making something for ur'self rather than seeking for acceptance. More so, I still don't see bsc/Hnd grads making ground breaking research to our indigenous wahala, year in year out we make import to solve our ish, isn't it time we flex the worth of the qualification we have acquired!
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by rhames(m): 6:55pm On Jan 04, 2015
DrFunmi:
Success in life should not be determined by our alma mater. I believe that everybody has a chance to be successful whether they went to a university or polytechnic. Our success is in our hands. This write-up is not meant to degrade HND holders. I am one of those that are strongly against the discrimination against HND holders. However, the reality on ground (due to the discrimination) is that BSc is still more superior to HND and I have given reasons below to state the obvious but bitter truth.

1 Entrance Qualification - The entrance qualification to the university is more stringent than that to the polytechnic. The UTME cut off for universities is higher than that of polytechnics. All universities require a minimum of 5 credits in WASSCE/NECO while most polytechnics accept 4 credits as minimum requirement. It is well accepted that the entrance qualification to any institution says a lot about the prestige attached to such institution.

2 Quality of Lecturers- You cannot compare the quality of lecturers in the university to that of the polytechnic. Most university lecturers are professors and PhD holders with decades of teaching and research experience to show for it. Some of them are universally renowned professors. The head of universities are always renowned and experienced academic professors. Most Master degree holders in universities are mere assistant lecturers. The same cannot be said of polytechnics where most of their 'experienced' lecturers are mere BSc holders. Most rectors of polytechnics are Msc holders, only a few have PhD. Even corps members lecture polytechnic students. Has it ever occurred to you why polytechnics find it hard to employ even their own products (HND holders) to lecture? Instead, they employ mostly university grads to teach.

3 Research Work- University is the bedrock of research work. Research work lays the foundation of advancement and any sane society will rate any higher institution by the quality of their research. Unfortunately, the quality of research work in Nigerian universities is poor but this is still far better than that of polytechnics that do absolutely nothing (or very negligible research work).

4 Funding- Universities are much more funded than polytechnics. One of the metrics for determining the quality of an institution is the level of funding. No wonder, the government and the media pay more attention to the demand of ASUU over ASUP. Thus, you will expect a product of a university to be better trained than that of a polytechnic.

5 Quality of students - The brightest, youngest and most motivated students go to the universities. Go to a polytechnic and what you will see a lot of dejected, not-so-young students who have written UTME many times but have not succeeded. A few in the polytechnics are young and bright, but they are few and far between. The majority of young and bright students, just fresh from secondary school are found within the 4 walls of the university. Thus, most university grads are of higher intellectual quality than their poly counterparts.

6 Size and Beauty of Campus - A lot can be said about the quality of an institution by the architectural structures of the institutions. Let's take the elite universities and polytechnics in Nigeria for instance. One cannot compare the architectural edifices in the prestigious OAU, UI, ABU, UNN, UNILAG, UNIBEN to that of Yabatech, Kadpoly, Auchi, Bida Poly or any polytechnic in Nigeria. No polytechnic in Nigeria can even compete with some 2nd and 3rd generation universities like FUT Minna, UniJos, FUTA, etc in terms of structures.

7 Preference / Demand - The preference for BSc is higher than for OND/HND. All or almost all aspiring students wish to go to the university. Employers generally prefer BSc holders over HND holders. HND holders are seen as middle level manpower (That was the intent when polytechnics were initially created). There are more opportunities for BSc holders not just within the country but outside Nigeria. Jobs and scholarship opportunities abound for BSc holders and undergraduates while it is almost non-existent for HND holders.

8 Self Esteem - Last but not the least, an average BSc holder is more confident than an average HND holder. This is however not the fault of HND holders who unfortunately have to face stiff discrimination in the labour market, thus negatively impacting on their self esteem.

Why do you put all your strength in spreading these lies?

1.) Ever since the 70's through the 90,s. the minimum entry requirment for tertiary institutions is 5 o level credits. Where did you get your info from?

2.) If you graduated from Yabatech and Federal Poly Ilaro you will not find a shortage of Ph.D' s in these and other institutions in the south. Again what makes you think a first class graduate from a polytechnic cant teach anyone from a university.

3.) Research work in polytechnics are very practical because of the SIWES programmes and some OND graduates preferring to gain more years of experience in practice compared to B. Sc holders who have little practical experience compared to their polytechnic kin.

4.) Funding or not does not denote the academic or professional brilliance of a graduate of an institution.

5.) Who told you that the brightest go to the university? I know of people still studying in polytechnics who have added professional qualifications to their names before their OND. A B.Sc undergraduate has to wait till he rounds off his programme before he can add other qualifications.

6.) Size and beauty of campus. When did beautiful buildings become a symbol of academic performance. Are you insinuating that Polytechnics are refuse dumps?

8.) Preference for B. Sc graduates in NIgeria yes. Why? General Yakubu Gowon and his ilk made polytechnics glorified secondary schools since 1970s and since then Polytechnic qualifications and that of Colleges of Education have been relegated to the background only in Nigeria. Have you ever gone outside this country especially in the UK where Polytechnics offer B.SC M.Sc and Ph.D?

9.) Where for God's sake will B.Sc holders have "self esteem' if my previous statements in cool did not happen? grin

2 Likes

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by rhames(m): 6:58pm On Jan 04, 2015
DrFunmi:

You got it all wrong. I didn't put this up to trigger argument. I just wanted to state some obvious hard truth. I wish both BSc and HND holders the best of 2015.

Modified: 1 forgot to add this point:

9 Worth of certificate - the BSc certificate is more valuable than the HND certificate. An HND holder requires a PGD to further his Postgraduate studies even if the holder has a distinction. On the other hand, a BSc holder can directly enrol for MSc or PhD without any hurdle. HND is equivalent to an associate degree in the USA and will require additional courses to be accepted in foreign institution. A BSc holder in Nigeria faces no such barrier.

The next lie you will post is that the curriculum is not the same. Bring your syllabus in any B.SC Course and i will show the same in and HND course. The curriculum is the same.

To Nigerian graduates who have over the years allowed your academic qualifications to define them, this is the age where you must define that certificate. I particularly do not place much premium on academic qualifications but performance and your ability to make a difference in what you and in life.

Good luck.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by kinibigdeal(m): 11:58pm On Jan 04, 2015
rhames:

Why do you put all your strength in spreading these lies?

1.) Ever since the 70's through the 90,s. the minimum entry requirment for tertiary institutions is 5 o level credits. Where did you get your info from?

2.) If you graduated from Yabatech and Federal Poly Ilaro you will not find a shortage of Ph.D' s in these and other institutions in the south. Again what makes you think a first class graduate from a polytechnic cant teach anyone from a university.

3.) Research work in polytechnics are very practical because of the SIWES programmes and some OND graduates preferring to gain more years of experience in practice compared to B. Sc holders who have little practical experience compared to their polytechnic kin.

4.) Funding or not does not denote the academic or professional brilliance of a graduate of an institution.

5.) Who told you that the brightest go to the university? I know of people still studying in polytechnics who have added professional qualifications to their names before their OND. A B.Sc undergraduate has to wait till he rounds off his programme before he can add other qualifications.

6.) Size and beauty of campus. When did beautiful buildings become a symbol of academic performance. Are you insinuating that Polytechnics are refuse dumps?

8.) Preference for B. Sc graduates in NIgeria yes. Why? General Yakubu Gowon and his ilk made polytechnics glorified secondary schools since 1970s and since then Polytechnic qualifications and that of Colleges of Education have been relegated to the background only in Nigeria. Have you ever gone outside this country especially in the UK where Polytechnics offer B.SC M.Sc and Ph.D?

9.) Where for God's sake will B.Sc holders have "self esteem' if my previous statements in cool did not happen? grin

Read this- www.nairaland.com/2074800/opinion-8-reasons-why-hnd
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by abanicool(f): 5:54pm On Jan 05, 2015
Osahon7:
Read what you wrote and see weda it makes sense
by how......is only u it's does'nt make sense..... If u dnt knw wat to say just just shut up.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by samkolo(m): 10:17pm On Jan 09, 2015
bamdexfarms:

u are a bloody liar, i am a graduate of yabatech and 90 percent of brilliant students in unilag are products from yabatech. also, why do unilag guys always come to beg yabatech students to write their exams for them?.... YABATECH.... the first and still the best

lol...no vex...am in surveying and geoinformatics....we made a perimeter survey of yabatech for just 10 marks of our CA.....
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by zebra(m): 8:35am On Jan 10, 2015
Nigerian universities have been using their profs to churn out unskilled and unemployable graduates since 1914, while the polytechnics with their HND/Bsc/PGD and Msc lecturers have been churning out skillful, highly technical, and employable graduates. Which one is better? All stakeholders in the universities should accept this fact and think of how to resuscitate the system rather than claiming superiority when such does not exist.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by Mixty: 2:01pm On Jan 10, 2015
zebra:
Nigerian universities have been using their profs to churn out unskilled and unemployable graduates since 1914, while the polytechnics with their HND/Bsc/PGD and Msc lecturers have been churning out skillful, highly technical, and employable graduates. Which one is better? All stakeholders in the universities should accept this fact and think of how to resuscitate the system rather than claiming superiority when such does not exist.
cheesy Hogwash
If that's the case, why is it that there are far more job opportunities for university graduates? Why are more BSc holders getting more well-paying jobs than HND folks? Why are HND holders crying about the few job and scholarship opportunities available to them.
BSc remains superior to HND. If you don't like that, well,...I can't help your case.

1 Like

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by zebra(m): 9:05pm On Jan 10, 2015
Mixty:

cheesy Hogwash
If that's the case, why is it that there are far more job opportunities for university graduates? Why are more BSc holders getting more well-paying jobs than HND folks? Why are HND holders crying about the few job and scholarship opportunities available to them.
BSc remains superior to HND. If you don't like that, well,...I can't help your case.
they get the jobs and scholarships because university graduates are all in-charge and not because uni grads are better than the poly grads.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by say9ng(m): 12:57pm On May 31, 2015
T
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by mytym(m): 1:36pm On Jun 02, 2015
DrFunmi:
Success in life should not be determined by our alma mater. I believe that everybody has a chance to be successful whether they went to a university or polytechnic. Our success is in our hands. This write-up is not meant to degrade HND holders. I am one of those that are strongly against the discrimination against HND holders. However, the reality on ground (due to the discrimination) is that BSc is still more superior to HND and I have given reasons below to state the obvious but bitter truth.

1 Entrance Qualification - The entrance qualification to the university is more stringent than that to the polytechnic. The UTME cut off for universities is higher than that of polytechnics. All universities require a minimum of 5 credits in WASSCE/NECO while most polytechnics accept 4 credits as minimum requirement. It is well accepted that the entrance qualification to any institution says a lot about the prestige attached to such institution.

2 Quality of Lecturers- You cannot compare the quality of lecturers in the university to that of the polytechnic. Most university lecturers are professors and PhD holders with decades of teaching and research experience to show for it. Some of them are universally renowned professors. The head of universities are always renowned and experienced academic professors. Most Master degree holders in universities are mere assistant lecturers. The same cannot be said of polytechnics where most of their 'experienced' lecturers are mere BSc holders. Most rectors of polytechnics are Msc holders, only a few have PhD. Even corps members lecture polytechnic students. Has it ever occurred to you why polytechnics find it hard to employ even their own products (HND holders) to lecture? Instead, they employ mostly university grads to teach.

3 Research Work- University is the bedrock of research work. Research work lays the foundation of advancement and any sane society will rate any higher institution by the quality of their research. Unfortunately, the quality of research work in Nigerian universities is poor but this is still far better than that of polytechnics that do absolutely nothing (or very negligible research work).

4 Funding- Universities are much more funded than polytechnics. One of the metrics for determining the quality of an institution is the level of funding. No wonder, the government and the media pay more attention to the demand of ASUU over ASUP. Thus, you will expect a product of a university to be better trained than that of a polytechnic.

5 Quality of students - The brightest, youngest and most motivated students go to the universities. Go to a polytechnic and what you will see a lot of dejected, not-so-young students who have written UTME many times but have not succeeded. A few in the polytechnics are young and bright, but they are few and far between. The majority of young and bright students, just fresh from secondary school are found within the 4 walls of the university. Thus, most university grads are of higher intellectual quality than their poly counterparts.

6 Size and Beauty of Campus - A lot can be said about the quality of an institution by the architectural structures of the institutions. Let's take the elite universities and polytechnics in Nigeria for instance. One cannot compare the architectural edifices in the prestigious OAU, UI, ABU, UNN, UNILAG, UNIBEN to that of Yabatech, Kadpoly, Auchi, Bida Poly or any polytechnic in Nigeria. No polytechnic in Nigeria can even compete with some 2nd and 3rd generation universities like FUT Minna, UniJos, FUTA, etc in terms of structures.

7 Preference / Demand - The preference for BSc is higher than for OND/HND. All or almost all aspiring students wish to go to the university. Employers generally prefer BSc holders over HND holders. HND holders are seen as middle level manpower (That was the intent when polytechnics were initially created). There are more opportunities for BSc holders not just within the country but outside Nigeria. Jobs and scholarship opportunities abound for BSc holders and undergraduates while it is almost non-existent for HND holders.

8 Self Esteem - Last but not the least, an average BSc holder is more confident than an average HND holder. This is however not the fault of HND holders who unfortunately have to face stiff discrimination in the labour market, thus negatively impacting on their self esteem.

People often forget while comparing that B.Sc is the least degree a university awards because its the first level of research, there is M.Sc, M.Phil, D. Ph or Ph.D...-an undergrad may be paired with a MSc. or/and a Ph.D student to work on the same project or ressearch or design. While working on the same assignment, the expectation from the trio differs by the time they all submit their reports.
The undergrad is taught that, the facts and findings that are now acceptable for his bachelors may not be acceptable or sufficient for a higher level of research if he presents same hence he's already hardwired to display a "continuous knowledge orientation". Knowledge orientation in polytechnics is usually terminal and rigid.

For correctional or conversionary reasons, they created a bridge called PgDiploma which is NOT a degree but an avenue to be able to allow for willing people whose knowledge performance may be insufficient for the next level of research.

Initially, these set of people ARE degree holders who either possess a 3rd class of degree Or want to advance in a new field of research different from their kind of Bachelors but has SIMILAR knowledge backgrounds.

Subsequently, exceptional HND holders are since then also allowed to enrol for PgDiploma which is way greater than HND. (Direct Entry students with HND who are admitted into 300Level are actually indirectly doing PgD if they care to check the syllabus of their PgD folks which is still considered liberal relative to the undergrad coursework).

Like the OP rightly said university is basically for research.
A university system is like a cult system, a system of knowledge hierarchy which at first degree is considered basic and peripheral relative to deep knowledge & exposure. It is servantlike and why it is tagged 'Bachelors' but its still wider and deeper than a diploma.

In fact most university graduates ARE unaware that the most important university ritual is 'The Convocation'. It is the last academic activity required of an undergrad but the first step towards choosing a path of knowledge and research.

A uni graduate is never a degree holder until the convocation day. That is the reason why they MUST be 'present' physically at the convocation (yes you read that well) but for reality sake the Dean must stand PROXY for all those that are absent.
Then a very important line will be read please note the use of words "...these students having been found worthy both in Character and in Learning are hereby Admitted into the Degree of bla bla (depending on the course).

Until that day, the admission is considered provisional and every activity both moral and academic is considered to exist in Partial Fulfilment towards a Degree of knowledge. and it is the same reason why Prospective Masters Degree students, who had graduated from that same university, are exempted from Matriculation rituals because for these ones, their Bachelors degree convocation actually in the real sense, serves the dual purpose of Admission into the Degree of that knowledge area and simultaneously the initiation into a higher degree.

This academic ritual is the reason why disciplines such as Law, Medicine, Pharmacy and other branches of knowledge that require deep intellectual research and exposure will never be offered in polytechnics.

A polytechnic (Nigerian poly by intent, framework and purpose) awards its highest certificate -a Diploma! whether ordinary or national and is a middle-level man power knowledge and skill acquisition thingy.

However brilliant the holder is, especially as some have demonstrated in engineering fields, the system that produced them prepared them as staff/equipment managers.
A uni grad is supposed to be a line manager i.e the thinker and bearer of ALL responsibilities including the staff managers.

Most HND holders are quick to cite Engineering as their basis to equate University and polytechnic. They are not completely wrong, but what they fail to acknowledge is that Engineering combines research, theory, practicals with field exposure to problems and capacity to conceptualize a solution to a novel challenge by coming up with a design or templates.
While a university engineering grad is exposed to all of these to a greater degree more than his poly colleague who is supposedly "practical oriented", he is certanly inclined towards research more than other areas because it is the 'thinking' part of his discipline that makes him superior (not that he can't do or flex muscles more).

A nairalander says a uni engineering grad can only design...i guess if we leave rigorous analysis&design out of engineering then life will be a complete drab because every invention we use is borne out of painstaking reasearch, analysis, design and re-research hence there'll be nothing for the poly grad to operate or work with.

However, few brilliant chaps due to some reasons usually chief of which is ignorance or impatience are in Polytechnics. These few young and bright ones who find themselves in polytechnic in most cases eventually leave to continue in universities either here or abroad. This even butresses the OP points because even they, after spending a few years, know for a fact that there must be a superior kind of knowledge exposure elsewhere which they must pursue. They actually are the ones who can educate their poly mates.

DrFunmi also mentioned esteem and attitude.
The university environment is all encompassing and ensures that each person who genuinely crave Education of the mind will be exposed to advanced thinking and relational aptitudes in its entirety.

Polytechnic System provides rather a one sided or too shallow schooling environment.
A careful observation of comments on this thread already shows that the proponents of polytechnics being better than university, are NOT equiped enough with the other intangible skills such as engaging in an intellectual discourse or argument without going personal. It's the display of superficial education.

University system however poor, insufficient, limited or 'substandard' we may have judged it to be, CANNOT and should NOT be compared with a polytechnic system.
It is both a Capacity mismatch and a Purpose mismatch.

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by UYCO: 9:57pm On Jun 11, 2015
Most university graduates here have spoken like children. From the way they talk, I know that most of them on this thread are blow 18 years. my wife is a BSC holder but I teach her every day and I cant see any significant impact of the almighty professors in her life.
Re: OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND by hakinz87: 2:19pm On Jul 05, 2015
Admin, your post is not that true. Make your research on engineering or construction sector and see if they reckon with your BSc certificate.
And can you please explain while Polytechnic of Namibia is included in the top 80 higher institution in Africa, while 95% of Nigerian Universities are not there including your own school?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

‘Boniface Igbeneghu Acted So Godly On Campus’ — UNILAG Student On Lecturer / Shalom Academy Nsukka Student Makes 9 A1s In The Just Released WAEC. / UNN Physics Lecturer Gets Stuck In Class While Solving A Question (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.