Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,803 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. (22925 Views)

Beautiful Lady Who Graduated With Third Class Shares Her Touching Story (Photos) / Ayodele Dada: "How I Graduated With All-Round A's & 5.0 CGPA" / Meet The Unique Identical Twins Who Both Graduated With First Class.. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 04, 2015
If you think I wasn't serious with my academics in 200L, just sit back and relax while I take you through my 300L.

Let me start by telling you I started dating another girl, chioma(not real name). Chioma came from an above average family and she's the very emotional type. Anyone who has ever dated someone whose emotion runs high at the slightest opportunity will understand what I went through better.

Well, anytime Chioma calls, the least amount of time she spends on the phone is between 6 and 10 minutes. This was when call rates were still on the high side.

Being a "big boy" I wouldn't want to "fall my hand" when I return her calls. I also spent minutes on phone gisting and laughing when my mates are in class receiving lectures.

My monthly allowance was between 6 and 7 thousand naira. I spend it all buying recharge cards within a week or two. Then I start borrowing money from friends. Atimes, Chioma was generous enough to send me airtime cheesy

By the time I collect my allowance for the next month, I pay my debts and in a week, it's finished again.

Unlike when in 200L, by the time exam approached, I had no money to photocopy materials or buy textbooks. cheesy

To even get money to borrow became difficult as I had become a serial debtor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 7:33am On Jan 04, 2015
OnyeEgo1:

dat GPA u just saw was dat of my 200l o, i wud begin my 300l by 5th January

Wow, that's great. The sky is your limit bro. cheesy
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 7:37am On Jan 04, 2015
2muchopoTBdope:

Wow!!! Then u are on point mehn,buh to make a first klass,at least getting a GP of 4.7 in both ur third and final yr guarantees u a first class. Success bro. Unlike @engrtemmy,my story is different, just finished with a GP of 3.60,u can imagine d joy!!! Nartow Escape. Anyway,I wish U all d best.

And while you call yours narrow, you hear of people who graduates with a 3.51 cheesy

Thanks for your wishes bro.

3 Likes

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 04, 2015
Time to go to church folks. I'll be back smiley
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by pato231(m): 8:35am On Jan 04, 2015
@Engrtemmy
What year did you graduate from Uniben?this your super story is getting more interesting,I graduated from the faculty of Engineering and I did write couple of tests in most of my courses,be more specific about your department cos my department do have regular tests done,you can't generalise the whole faculty with the modus of your department.

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Jamzig1(m): 8:37am On Jan 04, 2015
Engrtemmy:
Time to go to church folks. I'll be back smiley
be back soon...i'm enjoying your story

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by derbybliz(m): 8:44am On Jan 04, 2015
@Op, I really got to say. I love the way u are sharing ur experience.....Experience is the Best teacher

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by bhaliz44(m): 8:59am On Jan 04, 2015
Op nice one. We appreciate what your doing on this thread. Freshers like me need to be motivated.cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by judajix(m): 8:59am On Jan 04, 2015
even though I came late am in this class

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by airex(m): 9:10am On Jan 04, 2015
Bros! I'm watching ur moves.

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Lilprocess(m): 9:14am On Jan 04, 2015
Nice writeup.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by BabaAlabi: 10:32am On Jan 04, 2015
Congrats on your 2.1 but it is not totally improbable to graduate with a good G.P after doing badly in first year. In Uniben, the first and second year gp comprises of only a minute percent of the total gp when compared to the penultimate and final year.
It is however admirable that you accomplished this in Engineering and for that I domo you sir.
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 11:28am On Jan 04, 2015
pato231:
@Engrtemmy
What year did you graduate from Uniben?this your super story is getting more interesting,I graduated from the faculty of Engineering and I did write couple of tests in most of my courses,be more specific about your department cos my department do have regular tests done,you can't generalise the whole faculty with the modus of your department.

If you had paid proper attention to what I wrote, you would have noticed I was in 200L then. In what particular course did you write a test when you were in 200L? There were no tests for the two electrical courses. There wasn't any test for strength of materials, there was no test for olagbegis course. CHE222 had no test. Engineering drawing, no test. Even the test we did in aravie's course wasn't used. The two engineering mathematics, no test.

So bro, I know what I'm saying and I graduated during the 2012/2013 session.

More so, I can conveniently count the number of tests I did till I graduated. Same with my sister department. So, try to exercise more caution before you tag someone else's experience super story.

2 Likes

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by klem93(m): 11:33am On Jan 04, 2015
Engr Temmy am fully with you ooo, are you back from church now?

3 Likes

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by pato231(m): 11:42am On Jan 04, 2015
Engrtemmy:

If you had paid proper attention to what I wrote, you would have noticed I was in 200L then. In what particular course did you write a test when you were in 200L? There were no tests for the two electrical courses. There wasn't any test for strength of materials, there was no test for olagbegis course. CHE222 had no test. Engineering drawing, no test. Even the test we did in aravie's course wasn't used. The two engineering mathematics, no test.

So bro, I know what I'm saying and I graduated during the 2012/2013 session.

More so, I can conveniently count the number of tests I did till I graduated. Same with my sister department. So, try to exercise more caution before you tag someone else's experience super story.
i guess you over played and didn't take note of test dates,I graduated 2009/2010 session,there is always Engr drawing test,CPE,ENS,MEE.maybe they stopped after I graduated and boy don't tell me nothing about caution your experience might be super story to me,it still is super story to me.

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jan 04, 2015
Contd

Before I bore you with details of how I managed to read for my exams. Let me tell you how I prepared for my thermodynamics exam. It perfectly encapsulates how I wrote most of my exams.

A day to the exam, I had to plead with a friend who had finished reading the text book and was only revising to please let me use his text book. He agreed with the only condition that I'll return it at night as he'll have to use it over the night. Immediately he gave me, I headed straight to the reading room in the hostel to start my reading. That was around 11 a.m. I tried to read as fast as I could but of course, I was unable to finish it all. I had to follow him to night class so I'll still be able to use the book. The following day, like every other classmate, I sat for the exam amidst lots of carry over students.

That was how I prepared for most of my exams. To cut the long story short, 300L result was released and I was handed my second shock. My GPA was 3.38 and I had two F's grin. Both were practicals. ELA 301, ELA 302.

It was now very obvious to me I'm graduating with a 2.2 except I take urgent and drastic measures.

As for my thermodynamics course, I'm sure you'll like to know what I eventually had. Well, lucky me, it was a B cheesy

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jan 04, 2015
BabaAlabi:
Congrats on your 2.1 but it is not totally improbable to graduate with a good G.P after doing badly in first year. In Uniben, the first and second year gp comprises of only a minute percent of the total gp when compared to the penultimate and final year.
It is however admirable that you accomplished this in Engineering and for that I domo you sir.

Yes, true. Thanks bro.
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by OnyeEgo1(m): 12:35pm On Jan 04, 2015
iwriterng:

Borrow courses and make A's in them. That way, no harm done, if you pass very well in your penultimate and final year, you would bag a first class degree, and if you don't make A's in those courses, you still have your 2:1.

You can read "10 Laws of Academic Excellence" by Tolulope Ahmed, he wrote something on boosting GP.

where can i get the book?
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jan 04, 2015
After the results were released,(I was in 400L) I met a friend, named Stephen (real name this time) who attended the same polytechnic I attended though he finished long before me. He was telling me about his lovely result. He didn't make a first class but he was close.

We got talking about our polytechnic days only for me to discover the result with which I graduated in poly was far better than that of Stephen. I was worried. How could the same person whose result was no where compared to mine (in poly) be having a GPA of 4.3 and I'll be struggling to even make a 3.5

Coupled with the fear of graduating with a 2.2, I felt so bad and I vowed to take my academics serious.

But then, I didn't find it easy. To start waking up every morning to go to class, lining up at the photocopying centre to get a material a lecturer just dropped appeared so strange to me. I did all assignments and read so hard for my exams, when the result was released, though it was better than my previous two sessions, I was devastated. My GPA was 3.76.

What else do I have to do to have a good result in this school? How do these electrical engineering guys who blast first class results do it?

I eventually met with one of them, Nonso (real name). That was how I discovered the secret that helped me in my final year.

I'll be posting what transpired between me and Nonso in my next post.

Stay tuned.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by robinicule(m): 12:42pm On Jan 04, 2015
Its not only by reading, know ur lecturers, know d way they lecture and set questions, follow ur g.p right from d day u start classwork, test then exam, every little thing counts...and lastly, know how to calculate ur g.p, so u can tell if A in a course will sustain ur g.p or nitroboost it ....#mytoken

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by MoriYanu(m): 12:44pm On Jan 04, 2015
make i spread mat dey follow. let's see if ur tory can change things for futa also
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jan 04, 2015
I can never forget the first question I asked Nonso, "Guy, how una tey dey do am?" "Na the same thing we dey read na"

Nonso replied, "Bros na God o". I wasn't satisfied with the response so I probed harder.

Nonso told me about a particular course whereby he answered just four questions out of 5. He had an A. I answered all the five questions correctly and I had a B.

That was my first lesson.

It is not just enough to read, it's more important to read the right things and it's not just enough to answer all questions in the exam hall, it's more important to answer the ones you do perfectly well

Secondly, I noticed Nonso had no girlfriend. That was my second lesson.

Whether you'll like to hear this or not, to come out in flying colours in school, you need to forget about girls and vice-versa

Thirdly, I discovered Nonso read a whole lot. I felt I read in my 400L only for Nonso to tell me how hard he read. That was my third lesson

There's no short cut to success. That dude who always has the best result in class does no magic. He simply reads and spends lots of hours burning midnight candles[

Armed with those three lessons, I was on a mission to ensure I graduate with a 2.1 only for me to bump into a discussion where some guys were talking about scholarships for masters.

According to them, It's much more easier getting those scholarship when one graduates with a CGPA of 4.0 and above.

I went home and like fans of the super eagles, I started punching my calculator. cheesy I wanted to see if it was mathematically possible for me to still make a 4.0. After my calculations, I discovered I needed a 4.67 in my final year to make it. cheesy

At first, it looked quite impossible. Afterall, I had only managed to make a 2.1 once which was even low. How on earth do I intend having a GPA of 4.67?

I vowed to try everything within my might to make it against all odds.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jan 04, 2015
At the end of every lecture day, before I eat, I made sure I went through everything taught in class. Before going to class the following day, I made sure I went through everything taught in the previous class for all courses I had that day.

During weekends, I ensured I read everything that was taught during the week. For every course I did, I downloaded extra materials through Google which I was able to read with the aid of my laptop.

Anytime I have issues with some courses, I ran to Nonso for assistance. I continued like that till exams were about starting.

I never knew how awesome and joyful it was to read long before exams. Days before my exam, I had finished all my courses and was just revising. On the day of my first paper (PRE571), Unlike previous levels whereby I always come late to exam halls because I hardly finish reading, I was among the first set of people to reach the hall this time beaming with confidence.

Unfortunately, the exam didn't come without its own issues. The first question which was compulsory had to do with manufacturing account which I didn't read as the lecturer didn't teach it. It was 20 marks.

That means, to have an A, I have to answer the remaining four questions very well. In other words, I have to score at least, 70/80.

I remembered how Nonso answered just four questions and made an A and I smiled. I ensured I answered the four questions perfectly well.

Well, to cut the long story short, first semester result was released, and I had 4A's(including PRE571 grin) and 2 B's.

I calculated my GPA and guess what, it was exactly 4.67 grin

I now have to face second semester.

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 04, 2015
Engrtemmy:
I can never forget the first question I asked Nonso, "Guy, how una tey dey do am?" "Na the same thing we dey read na"

Nonso replied, "Bros na God o". I wasn't satisfied with the response so I probed harder.

Nonso told me about a particular course whereby he answered just four questions out of 5. He had an A. I answered all the five questions correctly and I had a B.

It is not just enough to read, it's more important to read the right things and it's not just enough to answer all questions in the exam hall, it's more important to answer the ones you do perfectly well

Whether you'll like to hear this or not, to come out in flying colours in school, you need to forget about girls and vice-versa

Thirdly, I discovered Nonso read a whole lot. I felt I read in my 400L only for Nonso to tell me how hard he read. That was my third lesson

There's no short cut to success. That dude who always has the best result in class does no magic. He simply reads and spends lots of hours burning midnight candles[

Armed with those three lessons, I was on a mission to ensure I graduate with a 2.1 only for me to bump into a discussion where some guys were talking about scholarships for masters.

According to them, It's much more easier getting those scholarship when one graduates with a CGPA of 4.0 and above.

I went home and like fans of the super eagles, I started punching my calculator. cheesy I wanted to see if it was mathematically possible for me to still make a 4.0. After my calculations, I discovered I needed a 4.67 in my final year to make it. cheesy

At first, it looked quite impossible. Afterall, I had only managed to make a 2.1 once which was even low. How on earth do I intend having a GPA of 4.67?

Very motivating.

4 Likes

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by BankManager(m): 3:14pm On Jan 04, 2015
Engrtemmy,u're doing a good job.Keep it up bro!!
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Jamaticulus(m): 4:13pm On Jan 04, 2015
Hmmn..I smell FP....Nyc one from EngrTemmy!!
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Boblanre: 4:31pm On Jan 04, 2015
Engrtemmy:

Truly, there can be no paean without pain.
One has to make sacrifices to get up there.

And the joy of victory far outweighs the stress of achieving it.

Good one op.

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 04, 2015
your advice is what i hear everytime in skul #its not new especially d babe part
Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by Raptureminded(m): 5:42pm On Jan 04, 2015
Engrtemmy:
My name is Fred (not real name) and I graduated from the university of Benin. I studied an Engineering course.

Let me start by saying I was never a dull student. I started my tertiary education by attending one of the best polytechnics in the southwest where I graduated as one of the best students with little or no effort. I remember vividly how I once started reading for an exam I had by 9 a.m on that same day. I still had a very good grade.

Fast forward two years, I finished my OND and gained admission that same year to further my course at the University of Benin.

While several polytechnic students claim their experience at the polytechnic helped them succeed when they got to the university, in my own case, the reverse was the case. My experience and life style in the polytechnic turned out to be my achilles heel at the university.

Stay tuned.
Pls engrtemmy I ave some few question to ask you
1. Which poly. did u attend and what was ur grade
2. How did u gain admission into uniben is true direct entry or u wrote jamb kos u said d same yr u graduated from d polytechnic dats d same yr u enter uniben
3. Am also in the polytechnic and I just in ND2 nw currently on siwes. My ND1 gp was 3.55 a mechanical engr. Student and also tinking of using my OND result to cross to a uni
4. If atal I want to obtain direct entry form how do I go abt it and wen sud I obtain it. Pls I nid ur help. I rep Mapoly.

1 Like

Re: How I Graduated With A Cumulative GPA Of 4.02. My Mistakes, My Lessons. by ninovandross(m): 5:47pm On Jan 04, 2015
Wow, real gud story shows u can achieve if u put ur mind to it, mke me slf bettr buckle up my 300lvl first smstr must make brain, no more party, less banging and thank God say I no dey drink b4

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Enem Aniemeka, NAF Officer Emerges Best Doctoral Student At Babcock University / NASU, SSANU Declare Strike Over IPPIS / JAMB Withdraws 2016 Admission Lists Sent To Universities, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.