Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,340 members, 7,819,200 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Nigerian Local Names Of Some Plants. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Local Names Of Some Plants. (31570 Views)

Shocking! Lady Posts Names Of Men She Has Infected With HIV/AIDS On Social Media / Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures / Plants That Repel Mosquitos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Local Names Of Some Plants. by Ztie(f): 2:24am On Jan 08, 2015
What is the Yoruba name for flax seeds?
Re: Nigerian Local Names Of Some Plants. by Nobody: 4:19am On Jan 08, 2015
Ztie:
What is the Yoruba name for flax seeds?

That's like asking for the yoruba name for tullip, or tumeric.

Yorubas don't cultivate flax plant, so I doubt if there's a yoruba name for flaxseeds.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Local Names Of Some Plants. by Ztie(f): 3:06pm On Jan 09, 2015
Thanks Marc9. Yoruba name for turmeric is ' ajo' or 'ata ile pupa'.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Local Names Of Some Plants. by dontemi(m): 3:29pm On Jan 22, 2015
Can someone help me with the Botanical name for Ado Ijamo pleeeeeaaassseeee

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Local Names Of Some Plants. by medace11: 6:25am On Sep 24, 2015
Nobody! Its great to keep your mute than giving blank-brain answer to people's question! That we don't grow flaxseed does not mean we dont have it and use it in this part of the world.
Its really nauseating to read your response while I'm also in a quest to know the Yoruba name of the same flaxseed which brought me to nairaland and reading your zero thought-out response.
I do not mean to insult you and please do not be offended if you consider my response too harsh. Its because of another time and remember, whatever we put online is exposed to the wide world, not for a while but for a limitless time and we don't like people to think that we are blank heads in Nigeria or nairaland, never!

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Local Names Of Some Plants. by akokaconnects: 11:51am On Sep 12, 2016
Looking at the picture of flax seed, it looks like Archi. ''ARCHI'' am not sure or the spelling but you can get it from most Igbo/Calaba/Edo etc women selling food ingredients at major markets like Oyingbo but we never can tell, you can also check local/ neighborhood market. It's used for cooking Oha soup. It makes the Oha soup thick. The difference between Flax and Ogbono is that Ogbono makes soup thick and draw while Flax just make soup thick.
Let's try and give a good out..
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Local Names Of Some Plants. by michaelpenz(m): 6:48am On Sep 09, 2021
akokaconnects:
Looking at the picture of flax seed, it looks like Archi. ''ARCHI'' am not sure or the spelling but you can get it from most Igbo/Calaba/Edo etc women selling food ingredients at major markets like Oyingbo but we never can tell, you can also check local/ neighborhood market. It's used for cooking Oha soup. It makes the Oha soup thick. The difference between Flax and Ogbono is that Ogbono makes soup thick and draw while Flax just make soup thick.
Let's try and give a good out..
Thanks.

Well, you tried smiley... but I don't think so.

From the description of the plant in wikipedia, it looks like a flower or so.

But achi seed comes from very mighty tree in Igboland. So mighty are the trees, some trunks can be as large as a standard room size.

So let's keep searching together. I am looking for the seed for experiments too.

(1) (Reply)

This Exoskeleton Is Designed To Help Disabled People Walk Freely (photos) / Her Stool Contains Blood, What Could Be Happening And Any Solution? / COVID-19: Dangote Donates Lab Capable Of 400 Tests A Day To Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.