Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,991 members, 7,863,546 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 07:52 PM

GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. (3972 Views)

Shehu Shagari Having Meeting With Buhari In 1983 Before He Was Overthrown / Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 / Economic Truth About Why Jonathan Queued For Milk In 1983!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by vanunu: 12:02am On Jan 09, 2015
Adminisher:

I am an APC supporter but on this story of queues for commodities he did not a lie. The only problem is that he was criticizing something that was good and most Nigerians supported.
The Story:
NPN the rulling party before Buhari regime had looted treasury, oil prices were also down to $35 a barrel due to the international manipulations and foreign exchange was scarce. Buhari and Idiagbon were not going take foreign loans and devalue the currency. They were so sure that the problem of foreign exchange was a temporary one and could always be rode through that they rationed foreign exchange and all imported consumer goods had to be rationed. They also started partnering with local manufacturers Nestle, Cadburys, st.c to expand local manufacturing capacity.

So Jonathan is right, we queued but unlike him we liked it because we knew our naira was just N2 to the $1 and that all the ''essential commodities" were soon to be made in Nigeria. Anyway, IBB came later and destroyed everything and the entire country.

It does not make any economic sense not to devalue ur currency when ur currency has no value.
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by ayukdaboss(m): 12:13am On Jan 09, 2015
mogentle:
GEJ is a liar, he queued for subsidized and very cheap milk,rice and others. For govt to even share milk then in order to protect economy and naira which was about #2 to $1, that means such govt was future conscious. GEJ goofed again.
The problem here is that only educated people would understand Buhari's actions.
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by citizenY(m): 12:32am On Jan 09, 2015
Adminisher:

I am an APC supporter but on this story of queues for commodities he did not a lie. The only problem is that he was criticizing something that was good and most Nigerians supported.
The Story:
NPN the rulling party before Buhari regime had looted treasury, oil prices were also down to $35 a barrel due to the international manipulations and foreign exchange was scarce. Buhari and Idiagbon were not going take foreign loans and devalue the currency. They were so sure that the problem of foreign exchange was a temporary one and could always be rode through that they rationed foreign exchange and all imported consumer goods had to be rationed. They also started partnering with local manufacturers Nestle, Cadburys, st.c to expand local manufacturing capacity.

So Jonathan is right, we queued but unlike him we liked it because we knew our naira was just N2 to the $1 and that all the ''essential commodities" were soon to be made in Nigeria. Anyway, IBB came later and destroyed everything and the entire country.

Correct and barter trade

... with venezuela for heavy crude oil for Kaduna Refinery to produce bitumen
... with Brazil for paper, newsprint, chemicals ,sugar, tyres, volkswagen ckd etc
... with Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia and Poland for cement, railway spares, laboratory and technical equipment for all secondary/technical schools
... and many others for essential comodities for National supply Company.

Importers pay dollar enquivalent into local banks... no l/c, no over invoicing
... government knows your purchase price so profiteering was reduced

1 Like

Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by Vicotex(m): 12:46am On Jan 09, 2015
dunkem21:
SSSSHHHHHH.

I was there live. He said in 1983/84, they were made to queue to buy two tins of milk.

He then asked, do you want to go back to those days and the crowd shouted in unison ..NO!

GEJ finished work and finished the opposition.

Am coming, keep your fingers crossed

..am so happy today.
abeg lecture these Apc thugs

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by munex007(m): 12:51am On Jan 09, 2015
God Bless you for these informative Piece..

Most of these Pro~Jonathians are gullible and intellectually disable like their principal...

Jona Tan(Burn Finish) before Febhuari

#SaiGMB

Adminisher:

The Story:

1 Like

Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by Freelancer00(m): 12:55am On Jan 09, 2015
Ngwakwe:

What do you mean?

Buhari sent his Karki boys to invade retail shops in Aba to sell "daily need items" from private shops at a price they deemed justified.

The truth is that he never invaded nor negotiated with companies and suppliers to force controlled prices rather they used koboko on poor retailers thereby forcing most Stores to sell at night or through back doors.

As a result of the threats from the karki boys most shops ran out of supplies or refused to restock for fear of Soldiers who lacked simple knowledge of economics.

The result was scarcity upon scarcity.

We really suffered.
if I go guess ur age sir, u go don clock 50.
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by vicadex07(m): 2:04am On Jan 09, 2015
Adminisher:

The Story:

Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by Eziachi: 2:28am On Jan 09, 2015
dunkem21:
SSSSHHHHHH.

I was there live. He said in 1983/84, they were made to queue to buy two tins of milk.

He then asked, do you want to go back to those days and the crowd shouted in unison ..NO!

GEJ finished work and finished the opposition.

Am coming, keep your fingers crossed

..am so happy today.
Where was he queing to buy this milk and why two tins? grin
How many of those unison actually understood what he was talking about and how many was around in 1984?
What next? I could not afford a cup to drink the milk, so I drank it with a banana leaf.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by dunkem21(m): 5:51am On Jan 09, 2015
Eziachi:
Where was he queing to buy this milk and why two tins? grin
How many of those unison actually understood what he was talking about and how many was around in 1984?
What next? I could not afford a cup to drink the milk, so I drank it with a banana leaf.

Where he was queuing? Why 2 tins? ..See Jamb question ..Your for tell me to show pictures or adonbeliveit. cheesy
Majority of the people around understood him and for people like you that were not around then, he urged you to ask your uncles. shocked
The truth glares in the face. Nigerians queued for long hours to buy essential commodities and we cannot go back to those old dark days ..Never! grin
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:12am On Jan 09, 2015
You dumb assed idiottas knws nutting abt economics. In 1984, the govt will not delve into importation but rather, will support indigenous production. Boarders were shut and subsidies on those commodities were a no-go area. We have milk and cattle, why can't we be just like Holland.

When babangida came in, he introduced SAP, the first problem of the Nigerian economy. Imported good flooded the market and were sold at cheap prices. Nobody knew the problem we were in until he left and it was realised that he was subsidizing these products. Indigenous companies died during his time, dollars appreciated against the naira due to his useless dependent on importation policy and small scale industries were luxuries. The country, which was supposed to be self sufficient was living on importations and thus, low foreign reserve, massive dept, poor masses and no local Industrialisation.

All hail OBJ who upon resumption, shut out the boarders again and those companies who had profited massively by exportation into Nigeria had no choice but to invest in Nigeria. Small scale business was given a boost and everybody can now. Laim to have a small business and so on.

Now, I did learnt all these in my economics class while in the institution, and the facts and figures never eluded me. You idiottz based your thesis on hearsays on twitter and Facebook. You are a joke!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by Nobody: 7:31am On Jan 09, 2015
YEMOYEMI:
This una man called Jonathan must really be a f00l with all am reading him say. He is supposed to be a president of a country for crying out loud.

Why is he vomitting like an ediot please?

The time of being gentle and acting responsible with all you assholez is over. Let GEJ win this election, so many people to be dealt with.

You haven't started crying.
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by otokx(m): 7:44am On Jan 09, 2015
It is only the rich that drink milk but he had no shoes.
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by otokx(m): 7:46am On Jan 09, 2015
Promhize:

The time of being gentle and acting responsible with all you assholez is over. Let GEJ win this election, so many people to be dealt with.

I actually want GEJ to win so that there will be no excuse for failure but the facts remain.

Stealing is not corruption.
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by Freelancer00(m): 7:48am On Jan 09, 2015
Promhize:

By not giving us his agenda for next 4 years and shading Buhari means he's not gentle anymore. I weepfor oour country
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by Tomoarika(m): 8:08am On Jan 09, 2015
dunkem21:

Where he was queuing? Why 2 tins? ..See Jamb question ..Your for tell me to show pictures or adonbeliveit. cheesy
Majority of the people around understood him and for people like you that were not around then, he urged you to ask your uncles. shocked
The truth glares in the face. Nigerians queued for long hours to buy essential commodities and we cannot go back to those old dark days ..Never! grin

Bobo calm down. Na person wey even dey around during Civil war be that o. Which uncle u want make him go ask eh?
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 09, 2015
Freelancer00:
By not giving us his agenda for next 4 years and shading Buhari means he's not gentle anymore. I weepfor oour country

And by clamouring about corruption, corruption, corruption and inadequacies in the current without giving suggestions, solutions or blueprints about how APC will solve corruption is the change we need.

Someone saying he stabilize oil price, Is that what this country needs? An uneducated bigot, who thinks this is still a military dispensation where you could just jail anybody, reduce the wages of the same wage-makers, you have a conscience, do not lie to it, N5,000 to every poor family? How is that even possible, when state governments are finding it hard to pay salaries? Is that what this country needs? Going back to the useless, impossible, stupid promises of 11yrs ago.

20,000 jobs in every state? How do you plan to do it? At least, there are proofs for hundreds of thousands/millions of jobs created by President Jonathan - Youwin, Sure p, Almajiri schools, universities, agriculture (15 million farmers), Enugu intl airport, railway and so on.

What has buhari done to better the life of a single Nigerian since he left power decades ago? Do you have to be in Power to make the lives of people in your community better?
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by MalcoImX: 8:12am On Jan 09, 2015
rozayx5:
my dad told me same, sugar, milk and so many other things were scarce, sad

flogging on the streets. all the newspapers kept quiet, it must have been hell for them sad
The civilian regime of Shehu Shagari destroyed the economy to the extent that you can't find basic commodities like soap, milk, foodstuffs, etc. in the markets. There was hoarding for the little that was available. Buhari did the right thing by identifying those warehouses that hoard, forced them open and sold the commodities at government controlled prices. People queued to buy those essential commodities. That was what Jonathan meant by he queued overnight to get milk. The part he didn't tell us was, the scarcity was caused by Shagari's regime, and people were grateful to Buhari for taking the measures he did.
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by MalcoImX: 8:15am On Jan 09, 2015
taharqa:

So many of you kids do't kn ow that during those DARK 2 Buhari years, Nigerians had to queue in other to get essential commodities??

Make una ask una parents na?

Why do you t h in k mos t a d ults d islike a n d fe a r B uh a r I??
See lies. Chei, there's death ooo!
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by mapet: 8:24am On Jan 09, 2015
eleko1:

Adminisher:

The Story:

You are so on point,God bless U.I'm aware of d scenario but Jona is trying to use the issue then to paint BUHARI in bad light,he should tell us the whereabouts the missing $20 and the FR money left by OBJ/Yar Adua and not milk issue.Bet,can somebody who can't afford to buy shoes buy milk?

Ok, I think it's high time we begin to educate some of these juveniles. Some as they have written, their "fathers" have told them stories from biased and bigoted position, some confusing and some outright lies

Who remembers adverts and jingles in the 80s during GMB first missionary journey?
1. There was one that encouraged queuing up at Bus Stops, Banking halls and public places
2. There was ban on Urinating and defecating in public places, bush etc
3. If my memory serves me right, environmental sanitation probably took it's root here
....and many more. Who has been around since the 80s? (I was born in the mid 70s) Let us help NLers with video and many other evidence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlYIuwGey-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj3sxvRfhgQ..from 0:44 - 1.15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZzxFbY6C6Y
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by mapet: 10:42am On Jan 09, 2015
Eziachi:
What next? I could not afford a cup to drink the milk, so I drank it with a banana leaf......

GEJ must be a serial liar. I tot he had no shoes.................

1 Like

Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by eleko1: 10:45am On Jan 09, 2015
Thank U so much,God bless U.Hope those confused children of the clueless man are reading dis?Who sai?they won't learn but prefer to suffering and smilling.God will surely deliver Nig from GRIDLOCK
mapet:

Ok, I think it's high time we begin to educate some of these juveniles. Some as they have written, their "fathers" have told them stories from biased and bigoted position, some confusing and some outright lies

Who remembers adverts and jingles in the 80s during GMB first missionary journey?
1. There was one that encouraged queuing up at Bus Stops, Banking halls and public places
2. There was ban on Urinating and defecating in public places, bush etc
3. If my memory serves me right, environmental sanitation probably took it's root here
....and many more. Who has been around since the 80s? (I was born in the mid 70s) Let us help NLers with video and many other evidence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlYIuwGey-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj3sxvRfhgQ..from 0:44 - 1.15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZzxFbY6C6Y

Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 09, 2015
Adminisher:

The Story:

God bless you.
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by omonnakoda: 10:57am On Jan 09, 2015
There was a time when people queued up for those things under Buhari not because they were scarce but because government tried to sell at cheap prices and people queued to buy the cheap products like milk,sugar and detergent. The cheap products never got to the pooor but to the middle class in Ministries ,parastatals etc. This also happened under Gowon and Obasanjo at the height of the oil boom in the early 70s for reasons of poor distribution and hoarding/corruption
Those things were all over the market but more expensive. The real question is why was this happening . This was not Buhari's doing , he was in power for 20 months and this started almost immediately or shortly before his coup. Government soon gave up and allowed the market to take over. Transport fare remained the same throughout and we continued to spend kobo for a long time even after his overthrow. There was no fuel scarcity and power outages were not a daily thing
I say this to pt the FACTS straight and not as support for BUhari. There are so many things that can be used against him from that time but the economy is not one. Fact is Shagari wrecked the economy and there was an oil price crash in 1982 and we started to feel the impact by 1983 . The military took over 31 December 1983.
Today we do not queue for food but can everyone afford it

1 Like

Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by anonimi: 11:01am On Jan 09, 2015
Adminisher:

The hihglighted is another LIE from the house of APC.

Buhari's economic performance was a totally comprehensive DISASTER chacterised by importation rather than local production of even the basic things we had EXISTING capacity for such as sugar, vegetable oil, rice etc. Meanwhile industrial machines and spare parts were npt being imported as the daft military dictator qas ratioining forex. shocked

All these factors led to factories shutting down with massive UNEMPLOYMENT, already exposed on another thread here.

Kai Buhari!!!
#Liberate-Lagos
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by NoreenUG(f): 11:02am On Jan 09, 2015
Adminisher:

So Jonathan is right, we queued but unlike him we liked it.

who the hell is "WE"?
Re: GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk. by selemempe: 10:40pm On Jul 26, 2018
Adminisher:

The Story:

do u still believe buhari's agenda?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picture SA Pastor Makes His Members Eat Pants And Cloth During Deliverance / Inside Aliko Dangote’s $30million Home [rare Photos] / OMG: Another Group Again, Nigeria is really beyond sick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.