Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,325 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 (51926 Views)

Shehu Shagari Having Meeting With Buhari In 1983 Before He Was Overthrown / Buhari A Terrorist Who Committed Treasonable Felony In 1983 - Kanu, Co-Defendant / 19-Year-Old Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala And Her Husband (Throwback Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by SNblog: 5:59am On Feb 25, 2016
I'm sure you must be familiar with the popular phrase, "Ghana Must Go"?

Not talking about the bag, but the incident that brought about the phrase where Ghanaians were being deported from Nigeria back to their country in the early 1980s.

Historic pictures of Ghanaians returning to their country after being expelled by Nigeria has surfaced online.

You can see Ghanians being deported from the ship deck in Lagos on Feb 2, 1983 as they prepared to sail back to their country.

In the 1970s, Ghana was facing a lot of economic hardships, just about the same time Nigeria had an oil boom, Nigeria’s economy was flourishing. Citizens of some West African countries (mostly Ghanians) flocked into Nigeria in search of greener pastures .

In a similar vain, oil prices dropped in the 1980s and the revenue from foreign exhange dropped drastically due to the over-reliance of Nigeria on oil. There were no jobs and the hardship started, hence, the need to expell the Ghanaians that were straining the Nigerian resources.

Other foreign African nationals had to leave too. The Federal Government endorsed the expulsion of 700,000 Ghanaians. They all packed their properties in a particular bag and till date the bag is still being referred to as the "Ghana Must Go" bags.

http://www.tori.ng/news/5806/see-historic-pictures-of-ghanaians-leaving-nigeria.html

1st Photo, Ghanaians being deported on the ship deck in Lagos on Feb 2,
1983 as they prepared to sail back to Ghana

2nd Photo, Truckloads of deported Ghanaians returning back to their
country.

3rd Photo, Thousands of Ghanaians on their way home.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by HungerBAD: 6:00am On Feb 25, 2016
The sad thing is.

Today, Ghana is Economically stable than Nigeria, and what did they do to Nigerians trooping every 10 Minutes into their Country? they showed us love.

We should emulate how Ghana shows everybody love into our lives.

134 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Nobody: 6:04am On Feb 25, 2016
But I can't see any "Ghana-must-go" bag so where did the name emanate from?

Chai, but Pa Bubu wicked oo.

Abeg, who don be adult in '83 mek he gist us well on this?

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Raphael81(m): 6:06am On Feb 25, 2016
because of the incident i still travel with my Ghana Must Go to any place

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by benedictnsi(m): 6:06am On Feb 25, 2016
Ghana must come back ooooo...... Cos dem get fine girls cool

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Oladimejyyy(m): 6:06am On Feb 25, 2016
They never born me sef na tori i hear GHANA MUST GO
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Oladimejyyy(m): 6:09am On Feb 25, 2016
HungerBAD:
The sad thing is.

Today, Ghana is Economically stable than Nigeria, and what did they do to Nigerians trooping every 10 Minutes in their Country? they showed us love.

Are you now telling us that their is no love in Nigeria

18 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Oladimejyyy(m): 6:10am On Feb 25, 2016
Raphael81:
because of the incident i still travel with my Ghana Must Go to any place
See undiluted lie..devil still dey learn from you

7 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by pyyxxaro: 6:12am On Feb 25, 2016
Shuuooo

Nor be Yvonne Nelson,Asamoah Gyan and Sammie Kuffour I de see for the ship soo

Unaa bye bye oooo tongue

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Raphael81(m): 6:17am On Feb 25, 2016
Oladimejyyy:
See undiluted lie..devil still dey learn from you
Am very serious son i remeber the ship we entered,mehn i miss being in your country
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by wonderkid619(m): 6:19am On Feb 25, 2016
See how happy they were in that pics
Like they knew what awaited Nigeria.
#God_save_our_Nigeria

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by deewhone(f): 6:22am On Feb 25, 2016
Lol... Ghana must go
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Flexherbal(m): 6:23am On Feb 25, 2016
This is where are politicians now go to invest.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by ifyalways(f): 6:25am On Feb 25, 2016
Hahahaha.

Asem o
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by bewla(m): 6:25am On Feb 25, 2016
how I for do
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by seunlayi(m): 6:50am On Feb 25, 2016
What a flashback, that was when i loosed my private maths teacher. He left within hours of notice

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by tpiar: 6:56am On Feb 25, 2016

6 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by ednut1(m): 6:58am On Feb 25, 2016
payback for deporting over 1m Nigerians from ghana in 1967or 1969 including my parents grin. Busia was no diff to buhari

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by atoleybaba(m): 7:00am On Feb 25, 2016
How sure are we that it is not just a random picture and it is really the Ghana must go palava
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by lolaxavier(m): 7:05am On Feb 25, 2016
HungerBAD:
The sad thing is.

Today, Ghana is Economically stable than Nigeria, and what did they do to Nigerians trooping every 10 Minutes in their Country? they showed us love.

Economically stable you said? Bro, I disagree...

26 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Nobody: 7:06am On Feb 25, 2016
on a quick note we shouldn't forget the state of things in Naija then coupled with the aftermath of the civil war. Oil price dwindling and job status of a third of Nigerian working class.
Chilling times indeed.

SirJeffry:

Chai, but Pa Bubu wicked oo.

Abeg, who don be adult in '83 mek he gist us well on this?

Do you need glasses.
Devoted Wailer.smh!

SNblog:
THROW BACK THURSDAY.
It was in january 1983, Alhaji Shehu Shagari, the
then president
of Nigeria held a press conference and ordered all
immigrants
without the right papers to leave the country
within a few
weeks.
“If they don’t leave, they should be arrested and
tried, and sent back to their homes. Illegal
immigrants under normal circumstances, should
not be given any notice whatsoever. If you break a
law, then you have to pay for it”, he said in a
statement.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by OXYGEN01: 7:09am On Feb 25, 2016
And in 2016 there are over 5 million nigerians in Ghana while they keep on trooping-in like refugees..hahaha
This clearly shows that Ghana is progressing while nigeria is retrogressing.
GOD BLESS GHANA.THE BEST COUNTRY IN WEST AFRICA

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Anyi2015: 7:12am On Feb 25, 2016
after Deporting them what happened to ur own country?
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by OXYGEN01: 7:13am On Feb 25, 2016
See how happy they were.They were happy because they knew how useless nigeria was(currently beyond useless though).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Anyi2015: 7:14am On Feb 25, 2016
they are better than us today in everything

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by tpiar: 7:17am On Feb 25, 2016
atoleybaba:
How sure are we that it is not just a random picture and it is really the Ghana must go palava

Probably not.
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Nobody: 7:20am On Feb 25, 2016
Flexherbal:
This is where are politicians now go to invest.

RIP to English Language. How were you able to register Nairaland cheesy

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by Anyi2015: 7:47am On Feb 25, 2016
go and beg them to com back o
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by nani212(m): 7:48am On Feb 25, 2016
I see someone that looks like asamoah gyan cheesy
Re: Throwback Photos Of Ghanaians Being Deported From Nigeria In 1983 by tpiar: 7:50am On Feb 25, 2016
Anyi2015:
go and beg them to com back o

Do they want to come back?

Isnt Ghana having a strong economy now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photos Of Dino Melaye In Court As Accused Persons Deny Allegations Against Him. / DSS Charges Nnamdi Kanu For Calling Buhari ‘An Idiot, A Paedophile, A Terrorist' / Gallant Happy Soldiers Cook With Stones In The Jungle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.