Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

ESSENCO: Buhari's Failed Commodity Price Control Scheme. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ESSENCO: Buhari's Failed Commodity Price Control Scheme. (2200 Views)

It Seems Halima Buhari Failed The Last Bar Exam / Kano Residents To Protest Fuel Scarcity, Commodity Price Hike / What Buhari Failed To Tell UK Audience - Femi Fani Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

ESSENCO: Buhari's Failed Commodity Price Control Scheme. by Aksonman: 7:42pm On Jan 08, 2015
Most young Buhari fans on the social media have probably never heard of Essenco (Essential commodities policy)-unfortunately,if they ask their pro-APC parents, the truth will never be told to them.

In order to stem hyper-inflation between 1983-1985, Buhari's military govt initiated a price control mechanism Nigerians got to know as Essenco. Soldiers were drafted to major commodity markets across Nigeria to enforce government fixed prices for basic provisions i.e bread, sugar, soap, tooth paste etc. This led to unprecedented long queues in most major provisions markets across Nigeria.

Also, there were limits to the quantity of provisions an individual could buy. The programme led to an initial sharp drop in commodity prices but in coming weeks basic provisions began to disappear from most stores. Endless queues for bread, toothpaste, milk, etc emerged.

As expected, a black market industry thrived where same goods became bountiful at exorbitant prices. Also most black market operators happened to be closely related to some military figures. Some people say this led to the birth of Mammy markets in Nigerian military barracks (though I'm not sure)

This was one of the many failed economic policies that led to Buhari being overthrown.

Babangida after his coup immediately reversed the Essenco policy and food stuffs once again flooded Nigerian markets at competitive prices.

Source: Go ask your parents or any educated elder in your family, PLEASE beg them to tell you the truth.

1 Like

Re: ESSENCO: Buhari's Failed Commodity Price Control Scheme. by dhardline(m): 7:58pm On Jan 08, 2015
How do you expect an illeterate to know the fundamentals of how to control the price of commodities if not by using force?Zombie mentality.
Re: ESSENCO: Buhari's Failed Commodity Price Control Scheme. by stagger: 9:32pm On Jan 09, 2015
Aksonman:
Most young Buhari fans on the social media have probably never heard of Essenco (Essential commodities policy)-unfortunately,if they ask their pro-APC parents, the truth will never be told to them.

In order to stem hyper-inflation between 1983-1985, Buhari's military govt initiated a price control mechanism Nigerians got to know as Essenco. Soldiers were drafted to major commodity markets across Nigeria to enforce government fixed prices for basic provisions i.e bread, sugar, soap, tooth paste etc. This led to unprecedented long queues in most major provisions markets across Nigeria.

Also, there were limits to the quantity of provisions an individual could buy. The programme led to an initial sharp drop in commodity prices but in coming weeks basic provisions began to disappear from most stores. Endless queues for bread, toothpaste, milk, etc emerged.

As expected, a black market industry thrived where same goods became bountiful at exorbitant prices. Also most black market operators happened to be closely related to some military figures. Some people say this led to the birth of Mammy markets in Nigerian military barracks (though I'm not sure)

This was one of the many failed economic policies that led to Buhari being overthrown.

Babangida after his coup immediately reversed the Essenco policy and food stuffs once again flooded Nigerian markets at competitive prices.

Source: Go ask your parents or any educated elder in your family, PLEASE beg them to tell you the truth.

My brother thank you for reminding some of these GMB apologists about the policies of their oga. I was a living witness to the ESSENCO madness in 1984. When Buhari was overthrown people were openly jubilating on the streets. Many Nairalanders here were not born. I was a witness and that is why I can never vote Buhari in 2015.

(1) (Reply)

Biafra Flag On Building All Over Igboland / PMB! Where Is The Ministerial List? / See How Pupils Go To School In Oyo State With Their Writing Desks.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.