Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria (24088 Views)

Less Competitive Universities In Nigeria You Can Easily Gain Admission In 2017 / Unilorin: Less Than 11,000 to Gain Admission Out Of 103,238 Applicants / These Courses Are Difficult To Have First-class In. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by Jinali(m): 8:25pm On Jan 08, 2015
The difficulties encountered in securing admission does not only affect young Nigerians, but also others, both young and old who aspire to be admitted into universities, polytechnics and colleges of education in Nigeria.

• There are so many Universities, Polytechnics, etc in Nigeria. So why are many candidates missing out in the race at the end of the day? the number one answer to this is "Lack of Statistical information about candidates' school of choice and course of choice" Don't get it yet? Alright. Now, before you applied to study that course at that university how many candidates have already applied for the same course at that particular university? How many other available universities offer your course of choice? Would you still go on to apply in a situation whereby more than eight thousand applications have been recorded in your department of choice whereas there are more than ten other good universities that offer the same course but still having moderated application index like 703, 1,200, 2,450, 900, 1,346, etc?

Now let's take three major courses, Medicine and surgery, Law, and Electrical Engineering as key study on this issue.

This is 2015 academic session. But do you know that as of today, based on JAMB Course Statistic that 8,775 (eight thousand, seven hundred and seventy five) candidates have already applied for Medicine and surgery at the University of Ilorin,; 7,531 (Seven thousand fivehundred and thirty one) at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka(UNN)? This number is increasing everyday as new candidates still channel their application to this universities and few others with very high application index. Nothing wrong with that? Have you seen any university in Nigeria that admitted more than 3,000 candidates in a particular department after conducting their Post-UTME?

Now let's briefly analyze this case. From my research, there are more than 16 (sixteen) accredited universities in Nigeria that offer medicine and surgery, Law and Electrical Engineering. Out of this number, not less than 12 (twelve) do well in this field.
Now consider the list below; it covers today's course statistic of some good universities that offer medicine and surgery, Law and Electrical Engineering, and then tell me why you should consider trying your luck at a university that already has thousands of application in your department of choice whereas there other nice universities that can easily accommodate you.

University of Nigeria, Nsukka- 7,531 (Medicine and Surgery); 4,274 (Law);

University of Lagos- 4,972 (Medicine and Surgery); 3,388 (Law); 794 (Electrical Engineering)

University of Port Harcourt- 3,981(Medicine and Surgery); 446 (Electrical Engineering)

University of llorin- 8,775 (Medicine and Surgery); 3,231 (Law); 1,279 (Electrical/Electronics Engineering)

University of Ibadan- 6,600 (Medicine and Surgery); 2,674 (Law); 723(Electrical Engineering)

Delta state university Abraka- 1,972 (Medicine and Surgery); 1,257 (Law); (Electrical Engineering not offered this year )

Anambra State University- 442 (Medicine and Surgery); 466 (Law); 172 (Electrical Engineering)

Niger delta university- 1,78 (Medicine and Surgery); 1,27 (Law); 100 (Electrical Engineering)

Ahmadu bello university Zaria- 7,96 (Medicine and Surgery); 2,59 (Law); 1,72(Electrical Engineering)

Obafemi awolowo university- 4,74 (Medicine and Surgery); 2,784 (Law); 609 (Electrical/Electronics Engineering)

Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma- 1,876 (Medicine and Surgery); 1,694 (Law); 574 (Electrical/Electronics Engineering)
etc

Meanwhile, There are also many 'rich men pikin schools' grin grin (Private Universities) out there that offer these courses that still have low application index.

Note: under Electrical/Electronics Engineering students will later be split to either department. So don't be afraid of the index if high. You can check your course statistics by visiting www.jamb.org.ng and then follow the step on the image below.

So, how far about that? Still bent on adding to the application index of Universities that have already recorded more thousands of application while you have better chances of gaining admission into other available universities? I don't think so, unless you are playing dice with you career.

Note well that the high level of application recorded in some universities above is not because they are the best in teaching these courses, rather because they are popular among O-level school leavers and even other prospective students. Therefore, try to check the course statistics of universities before you apply; Make hay while the sun shines!

Small assignment grin: University of Benin was not included in the list above; check its course statistics.

• Now, another serious cause of massive lose in the admission race by young Nigerians is one very popular problem among young Nigerians, which is "Poor Reading Habit". The use of Computer Based Test (CBT) is now compulsory for all UTME candidates this 2015. CBT has more malpractice checking capability which has handicapped many UTME candidates, resulting to mass failure after the exercise.

Since the advent of smart-phones and other electronic gadget many young Nigerians tend to stick to these things more than study! "in fact de don use am pas oyibo way produce am cool cool"..........well, no need of prolonging the issue; Just read this time or fail!

• Another heart braking and well known cause of the difficulties encountered by many innocent Nigerians in gaining admission is the "Corruption that runs in the veins of many universities, polytechnics, colleges of education, etc" the system is down! Departmental cut off marks are nolonger published, which gives them room to give admission to any person they prefer whether merited or not; they can even deny admission to a qualified candidate; you can't question them because there is now way you can tell is you are qualified or not! Some universities now advertise on the internet many courses they don't even offer; is that not a criminal act? Agencies that have the obligation to handle these issues should please go back to work.

THE END (For others; UTME candidates should continue reading)

• Are you a candidate sitting for this 2015 UTME? Okay! Now listen cool, you are going there to sit for real business not just exam! the examination hall is not your father's parlor, it is not a fast-food joint for crying out loud embarassed! you are not going there to do 'shakara' you are going there to pass the exam! forget about 'big girl or big boy'. If you about answering any question and you find it difficult, just ask your neighbours when the supervisor is not watching shocked! the exam only last for a day, so do your best to do well that very day (but no expo oh! I mean am oh!). Don't sit there saying "I'm shy oh!; I'm they shy type" really? you are the shy type? Sit down my friend; go and tell that to 'Amadioha', the gods and not me! Be agile! Be fast! don't just sit there checking if the lipstick you applied is still there or if your sagged trouser is still intact. Concentrate and write the exam!

• Finally, do your best and leave the rest for God!

Readers can also contribute other factors they think are the causes of these difficulties encountered in gaining admission here in Nigeria; it will be highly welcomed! Tnx!

By:
Jina....eeeeeeem......sorry, Jinali............Jinali Emmanuel C. (conclude anything if you like!)

Source: www.mybrainandmyhand.com (if u lik follow the link nah!)

23 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by dejii01(m): 8:35pm On Jan 08, 2015
Survival of the fittest!

I wish this year's candidates all the best. cool

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by osimo: 9:57pm On Jan 08, 2015
Nice one OP....eeeem....but make Admin no carry am go front page oh...dis OP na Buhari Pikingrin....#NOFPTILLHEREPENT grin
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by Jece(f): 10:08pm On Jan 08, 2015
osimo:
Nice one OP....eeeem....but make Admin no carry am go front page oh...dis OP na Buhari Pikingrin....#NOFPTILLHEREPENT grin

How politics take enter this one nah...wat concern dis educative post ad his provious posts?....una de like derail trend jor! abeg well said OP!!

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by coolshegs10(m): 10:24pm On Jan 08, 2015
I want to choose University of Ibadan in my jamb,my course of study-computer science but d 1sitting neco reault I want to use is made up of 'C' parallel grades.What are my chances please.
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by Jinali(m): 11:16pm On Jan 08, 2015
coolshegs10:
I want to choose University of Ibadan in my jamb,my course of study-computer science but d 1sitting neco reault I want to use is made up of 'C' parallel grades.What are my chances please.

You have no issues with that. Provide you credited your 'English and Mathematics, and any other two science subjects then you are good to go. I only advise you to work toward making a good score during you UTME and Post-UTME. Wishing you the best!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by Jece(f): 11:18am On Jan 09, 2015
It seems this house moderator is nolonger doing his job..........

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by yogo5: 12:23pm On Jan 09, 2015
Nice one......they should just study hard.
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by arkitect(m): 1:30pm On Jan 09, 2015
The revolution in the telecommunication world was meant to foster education growth/ like after browsing rihana's latest video on youtube, while not still browse tutorials on biology, chemistry etc/ am like why?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by liveyourlife: 2:18pm On Jan 09, 2015
Ok

Close with this:
“The job of a teacher is not to deliver information. It is to guide the
social process of learning. The job of a teacher is to inspire, to
challenge, to excite their students to want to learn.” - Join us. Get on [url=http://][/url]
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by coolshegs10(m): 5:23pm On Jan 09, 2015
Jinali:

You have no issues with that. Provide you credited your 'English and Mathematics, and any other two science subjects then you are good to go. I only advise you to work toward making a good score during you UTME and Post-UTME. Wishing you the best!

Thanks bro...am currently in a polytechnic in Osun state but I don't like how their academic administration is being run there and most of the students are not even serious...thanks once again
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by coolshegs10(m): 5:24pm On Jan 09, 2015
Jinali:

Thanks bro...am currently in a polytechnic in Osun state but I don't like how their academic administration is being run there and most of the students are not even serious,their pride pass dat of lautech ...thanks once again.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by mtprofessor5(m): 6:01pm On Jan 09, 2015
Well for me Even though u r competiting with 10000 students just have this at the back of your mind

HARDWORK PAYS
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by Innodon(m): 6:01pm On Jan 09, 2015
Story 4 the gods.
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by pauldehero(m): 6:01pm On Jan 09, 2015
it is always better to support your own..... lets make the Glo network the best in Africa... download the Glo unlimited song by Paul hero.... it is one of the best songs ever in the history of music making .....A pure soulful chants and vocals that will touch your heart... you cant help it but TO fall in love with the Glo network.make it viral ... send it to friends. offer links for downloads ....lets promote our own.... one Nigeria...it is about oneness .. those in charge front page Abeg.....YOU can port right now...Glo unlimited ....http://www.datafilehost.com/d/a36dc0f9
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by haibe(m): 6:04pm On Jan 09, 2015
number one reason is poor governance
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by Bsc(m): 6:07pm On Jan 09, 2015
This topic no match trending issues!
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by geedot: 6:07pm On Jan 09, 2015
Nice write up OP!
But Уσυ didn't write ☺̴̩̩̥̩̩̩π how they would scale through 180/200 jamb pass mark first, that should be their main objective then Your̶̲̥̅̊ assumptions after..

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by TeGaTeGa1(m): 6:08pm On Jan 09, 2015
Wow is that so,down here in France we don't do much,we just waka come...dazzal

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by MillionDollars: 6:09pm On Jan 09, 2015
Apart from failure, its bad government.
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jan 09, 2015
naim make I dey tell ona sey make GEJ comot

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by Fabzgrace(f): 6:09pm On Jan 09, 2015
OP why didnt u add UNIBEN
angry angry
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by Nikapetrelli(f): 6:10pm On Jan 09, 2015
Here in de Uk,is lyk eating Cheese to get admitted

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by Chidexter(m): 6:10pm On Jan 09, 2015
Exactly what i have been thinking of.

Good job op..........

I have always advised some peeps to choose rarer courses that they at least have seventy percent interest in.
Choosing rarer courses increases your chances of gaining admission as there is lesser competition.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by lonelydora: 6:10pm On Jan 09, 2015
I see
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by Nikapetrelli(f): 6:10pm On Jan 09, 2015
Japhet04:
Gotcha
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by youngvizzy1(m): 6:13pm On Jan 09, 2015
Just Jack ur books and Hope on God to pass. nothing is impossible wit God grin I use myself as a point of contact to those seeking admission, this year shall be our year IJN

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by emandman: 6:17pm On Jan 09, 2015
Anybody know anyone who has problem registering with jamb kad?
Re: Reasons Why Young Nigerians Find It Difficult To Gain Admission In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 09, 2015
Nikapetrelli:
Gotcha
you know how we roll na wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Things A Fresher Should Know Before Resuming In A Tertiary Institution / NANS Treasurer, Chinyelu Okolie Marks Birthday Amidst Loads Of Felicitations / JAMB UTME 2016 Sales Of Form Begins August 31st - Find Important Guidelines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.